ratis website proposal

Elek, Marton

Hi,

We created an initial version of the Ratis website. And currently there
is a vote[1] thread on the ratis dev mailing list to publish it.

This is not a release, but we would like to get as many feedback as
possible, so we kindly ask you to check it and let us now:

  * if you see any violations of the Apache/incubator policies.

  * or if you have any kind of suggestions/comments.

The proposed site is available from here:

https://elek.github.io/ratis-site/

Or you can check the source and generate it yourself:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RATIS-5

Thanks a lot,
Marton

ps: Please note that this is an initial version. Additional,
more-detailed documentation will be added soon.

[1]:
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ratis-dev/201712.mbox/%3C493056ac-5cff-a4b6-4b30-2ba3065b9e18%40anzix.net%3E

Re: ratis website proposal

sebb-2-2
On 2 January 2018 at 17:35, Elek, Marton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We created an initial version of the Ratis website. And currently there is a
> vote[1] thread on the ratis dev mailing list to publish it.
>
> This is not a release, but we would like to get as many feedback as
> possible, so we kindly ask you to check it and let us now:
>

>  * if you see any violations of the Apache/incubator policies.
>
>  * or if you have any kind of suggestions/comments.
>

> The proposed site is available from here:
>
> https://elek.github.io/ratis-site/

[The final site must be published from http://ratis.incubator.apache.org/]

Some initial feedback on the content:

The download section does not have a link to the source, KEYS, sigs, hashes.

The first/main mention of other Apache projects such as Hadoop must
use the form "Apache Hadoop".

The words "java" and "slack" are normally capitalised.

The incubation disclaimer is missing.

The acronym RAFT means nothing to me; it would help if the main/first
usage was something like "RAFT (Real Actual Factual Truth)" - or
whatever it means.
Also it might help to describe the sort of applications for which
Ratis is intended.

> Or you can check the source and generate it yourself:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RATIS-5
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Marton
>
> ps: Please note that this is an initial version. Additional, more-detailed
> documentation will be added soon.
>
> [1]:
> https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ratis-dev/201712.mbox/%3C493056ac-5cff-a4b6-4b30-2ba3065b9e18%40anzix.net%3E

Re: ratis website proposal

Hi -

At Apache we provide source code as releases as our primary purpose. The Ratis project must provide a download to your source release using the download.cgi method approved by Infrastructure. [1] You should also provide a download of the binary archives that is not dependent on Maven. Not every potential developer will be using Maven also they may not have direct access to Maven Central.

Are your mentors engaged in providing advice?

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/release-download-pages.html

> On Jan 2, 2018, at 9:35 AM, Elek, Marton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi,
>
> We created an initial version of the Ratis website. And currently there is a vote[1] thread on the ratis dev mailing list to publish it.
>
> This is not a release, but we would like to get as many feedback as possible, so we kindly ask you to check it and let us now:
>

> * if you see any violations of the Apache/incubator policies.
>
> * or if you have any kind of suggestions/comments.
>

> The proposed site is available from here:
>
> https://elek.github.io/ratis-site/
>

> Or you can check the source and generate it yourself:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RATIS-5
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Marton
>
> ps: Please note that this is an initial version. Additional, more-detailed documentation will be added soon.
>
> [1]: https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ratis-dev/201712.mbox/%3C493056ac-5cff-a4b6-4b30-2ba3065b9e18%40anzix.net%3E

Re: ratis website proposal

Luciano Resende
I would not recommend publishing the website in its current status due to
following issues:

The Incubator disclaimer is incorrect, you should have the full text from
https://github.com/apache/incubator-ratis/blob/master/DISCLAIMER.txt
Releases are not published on the website and should be accompanied by
signature files for download validation
Also, the "Apache Links" on the top of the page, I would recommend being at
the top right of the page after community, which makes it easier to find as
at the top it seems that it's for navigation purposes.

Note that these changes are small and should be easy to incorporate them
before publishing.

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 9:35 AM, Elek, Marton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We created an initial version of the Ratis website. And currently there is
> a vote[1] thread on the ratis dev mailing list to publish it.
>
> This is not a release, but we would like to get as many feedback as
> possible, so we kindly ask you to check it and let us now:
>

>  * if you see any violations of the Apache/incubator policies.
>
>  * or if you have any kind of suggestions/comments.
>

> The proposed site is available from here:
>
> https://elek.github.io/ratis-site/
>

> Or you can check the source and generate it yourself:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RATIS-5
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Marton
>
> ps: Please note that this is an initial version. Additional, more-detailed
> documentation will be added soon.
>
> [1]: https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ratis-de
> v/201712.mbox/%3C493056ac-5cff-a4b6-4b30-2ba3065b9e18%40anzix.net%3E

Luciano Resende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975
http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Re: ratis website proposal

Anu Engineer
Thanks for the comments, we will address this feedback
--Anu

On 1/2/18, 9:59 AM, "sebb" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    On 2 January 2018 at 17:35, Elek, Marton <[hidden email]> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > We created an initial version of the Ratis website. And currently there is a
    > vote[1] thread on the ratis dev mailing list to publish it.
    >
    > This is not a release, but we would like to get as many feedback as
    > possible, so we kindly ask you to check it and let us now:
    >
    >
    >  * if you see any violations of the Apache/incubator policies.
    >
    >  * or if you have any kind of suggestions/comments.
    >
    >
    > The proposed site is available from here:
    >
    > https://elek.github.io/ratis-site/

    [The final site must be published from http://ratis.incubator.apache.org/]

    Some initial feedback on the content:

    The download section does not have a link to the source, KEYS, sigs, hashes.

    The first/main mention of other Apache projects such as Hadoop must
    use the form "Apache Hadoop".

    The words "java" and "slack" are normally capitalised.

    The incubation disclaimer is missing.

    The acronym RAFT means nothing to me; it would help if the main/first
    usage was something like "RAFT (Real Actual Factual Truth)" - or
    whatever it means.
    Also it might help to describe the sort of applications for which
    Ratis is intended.

    > Or you can check the source and generate it yourself:
    >
    > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RATIS-5
    >
    > Thanks a lot,
    > Marton
    >
    > ps: Please note that this is an initial version. Additional, more-detailed
    > documentation will be added soon.
    >
    > [1]:
    > https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ratis-dev/201712.mbox/%3C493056ac-5cff-a4b6-4b30-2ba3065b9e18%40anzix.net%3E

Re: ratis website proposal

Anu Engineer
Thank you for the feedback.  We will add the source release as well as the direct link to the binary only download.

Our mentors are involved and this site is at the voting stage in the Ratis Dev List. We wanted to get wider feedback before committing this.

Thanks
Anu

On 1/2/18, 10:03 AM, "Dave Fisher" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    Hi -

    At Apache we provide source code as releases as our primary purpose. The Ratis project must provide a download to your source release using the download.cgi method approved by Infrastructure. [1] You should also provide a download of the binary archives that is not dependent on Maven. Not every potential developer will be using Maven also they may not have direct access to Maven Central.

    Are your mentors engaged in providing advice?

    [1] http://www.apache.org/dev/release-download-pages.html

    > On Jan 2, 2018, at 9:35 AM, Elek, Marton <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > We created an initial version of the Ratis website. And currently there is a vote[1] thread on the ratis dev mailing list to publish it.
    >
    > This is not a release, but we would like to get as many feedback as possible, so we kindly ask you to check it and let us now:
    >
    >
    > * if you see any violations of the Apache/incubator policies.
    >
    > * or if you have any kind of suggestions/comments.
    >
    >
    > The proposed site is available from here:
    >
    > https://elek.github.io/ratis-site/
    >
    >
    > Or you can check the source and generate it yourself:
    >
    > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RATIS-5
    >
    > Thanks a lot,
    > Marton
    >
    > ps: Please note that this is an initial version. Additional, more-detailed documentation will be added soon.
    >
    > [1]: https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ratis-dev/201712.mbox/%3C493056ac-5cff-a4b6-4b30-2ba3065b9e18%40anzix.net%3E

Re: ratis website proposal

While the incubating logo is on the front page it so far down it could be easily missed. IMO should be more obvious that this is an incubating project at the ASF.

While you include the required links [2] they are hidden (menu on ASF) and not where I would of expected them (I would of expected click on the ASF take you too the ASF home page). Perhaps it would be better to list these out in the top bar bar on the RHS?  The incubator disclaimer is missing [3]. You may want to take a look at this [1] once you have published the new site.

1. https://whimsy.apache.org/pods/project/ratis
2. https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs#navigation
3. https://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html#disclaimers

Re: ratis website proposal

Anu Engineer
Hi Justin,

Thanks for running the Website check, I did not know about this tool till now.  We will fix all the mentioned issues before merging the website to Ratis trunk. Appreciate your feedback and time.

Thanks
Anu

On 1/2/18, 4:41 PM, "Justin Mclean" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    Hi,

    While the incubating logo is on the front page it so far down it could be easily missed. IMO should be more obvious that this is an incubating project at the ASF.

    While you include the required links [2] they are hidden (menu on ASF) and not where I would of expected them (I would of expected click on the ASF take you too the ASF home page). Perhaps it would be better to list these out in the top bar bar on the RHS?  The incubator disclaimer is missing [3]. You may want to take a look at this [1] once you have published the new site.

    1. https://whimsy.apache.org/pods/project/ratis
    2. https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs#navigation
    3. https://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html#disclaimers

Re: ratis website proposal

Elek, Marton
Thank you very much your valuable comments for all of you.

The original vote is canceled and we started to address the issues.

The latest version is available from the preview location:

https://elek.github.io/ratis-site/

(and also the source is commited to the RATIS-5 feature branch).

It is improved according to the comments:

* Download page refactored (with download/signature links). Maven
artifact hints are moved to the getting started section.
* Full disclaimer has been added.
* Common apache links moved from the drop down menu to the top right
corner (except the Apache link itself).
* Full disclaimer text is added and moved up from the bottom.
* Small typos (Hadoop/Java case) + (c) year are fixed
* A few more words are added about Raft/consensus.
* Apache prefix is added to the Hadoop, too.

Thanks again, and please let us know if you have any further comments.

Marton

On 01/02/2018 07:15 PM, Luciano Resende wrote:

> I would not recommend publishing the website in its current status due to
> following issues:
>
> The Incubator disclaimer is incorrect, you should have the full text from
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-ratis/blob/master/DISCLAIMER.txt
> Releases are not published on the website and should be accompanied by
> signature files for download validation
> Also, the "Apache Links" on the top of the page, I would recommend being at
> the top right of the page after community, which makes it easier to find as
> at the top it seems that it's for navigation purposes.
>
> Note that these changes are small and should be easy to incorporate them
> before publishing.
>

> On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 9:35 AM, Elek, Marton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> We created an initial version of the Ratis website. And currently there is
>> a vote[1] thread on the ratis dev mailing list to publish it.
>>
>> This is not a release, but we would like to get as many feedback as
>> possible, so we kindly ask you to check it and let us now:
>>

>>   * if you see any violations of the Apache/incubator policies.
>>
>>   * or if you have any kind of suggestions/comments.
>>

>> The proposed site is available from here:
>>
>> https://elek.github.io/ratis-site/
>>

>> Or you can check the source and generate it yourself:
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RATIS-5
>>
>> Thanks a lot,
>> Marton
>>
>> ps: Please note that this is an initial version. Additional, more-detailed
>> documentation will be added soon.
>>
>> [1]: https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ratis-de
>> v/201712.mbox/%3C493056ac-5cff-a4b6-4b30-2ba3065b9e18%40anzix.net%3E

Re: ratis website proposal

You may want to change the wording under the Source link as you have develop is master it could be seen as you are distributing unofficial code to users there.

Just add some words to the effect that this is for development use only and not intended for use by the general public and are not part of an official release checked by the PMC.

Re: ratis website proposal

sebb-2-2
On 4 January 2018 at 01:04, Justin Mclean <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You may want to change the wording under the Source link as you have develop is master it could be seen as you are distributing unofficial code to users there.
>
> Just add some words to the effect that this is for development use only and not intended for use by the general public and are not part of an official release checked by the PMC.

IMO it would be better to have some pages which are clearly aimed at
developers and put such links there.

Some other nits:

"higly customizable" => "highly customizable"

However it might be more accurate to say 'fully' (are there aspects
that are not customisable?)

--- quote ---
Raft is a easily understandable consensus algorithm to manage replicated log.

Apache Ratis could be used in any Java application where a state
should be replicated between multiple instances.
--- quote ---

'replicated log' does not read well.
Does it mean 'replicated log files' or ' replicated logging' or something else?
I'm not sure how 'log' relates to 'a state'?

Also 'a state' should probably be 'state' as the former could imply a
single state.

Still some mentions of 'java'

"Start three Ratis server" => "Start the Ratis server" ?

Re: ratis website proposal

Elek, Marton
Thanks again,

We addressed all the issues. (the developer specific subpage will be
created later, we don't have enough content, yet. We plan to add more
documentation in the next phase.).

If no more suggestions/objections we will restart the vote on the ratis
dev list.

Thanks your help,
Marton