question about including website source in release

question about including website source in release

Matthew Hayes-2
Hi,

Sorry if this is already answered somewhere but I couldn't find the
information.  The source code that generates the Apache DataFu website
content [1] is currently included in the source code release.  However the
source code for the website is independent from the source code and build
files that produce the project artifacts (i.e. JAR files).  If the website
source was removed from the release it would have no impact on building
these artifacts.  Should Apache DataFu continue to bundle the website
source in this way or remove it from the release?  What is standard
practice for other projects?

Thanks,
Matt

1. http://datafu.incubator.apache.org/

Re: question about including website source in release

Mark Thomas
On 18/01/18 20:43, Matthew Hayes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry if this is already answered somewhere but I couldn't find the
> information.  The source code that generates the Apache DataFu website
> content [1] is currently included in the source code release.  However the
> source code for the website is independent from the source code and build
> files that produce the project artifacts (i.e. JAR files).  If the website
> source was removed from the release it would have no impact on building
> these artifacts.  Should Apache DataFu continue to bundle the website
> source in this way or remove it from the release?  What is standard
> practice for other projects?

Standard practice would be not to include it.

Mark

> Thanks,
> Matt
>
> 1. http://datafu.incubator.apache.org/

Re: question about including website source in release

Julian Hyde-3
I agree that standard practice is to not include the site. However, in Calcite we do include the web site (or rather, the markdown files from which the site is generated) since the web site is also our documentation. So, your choice.

Our site includes Jekyll template code under MIT license and some fonts under Open Font License, so we had to add a few lines to our LICENSE file.

Julian

> On Jan 18, 2018, at 12:47 PM, Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 18/01/18 20:43, Matthew Hayes wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sorry if this is already answered somewhere but I couldn't find the
>> information.  The source code that generates the Apache DataFu website
>> content [1] is currently included in the source code release.  However the
>> source code for the website is independent from the source code and build
>> files that produce the project artifacts (i.e. JAR files).  If the website
>> source was removed from the release it would have no impact on building
>> these artifacts.  Should Apache DataFu continue to bundle the website
>> source in this way or remove it from the release?  What is standard
>> practice for other projects?
>
> Standard practice would be not to include it.
>
> Mark
>

>> Thanks,
>> Matt
>>
>> 1. http://datafu.incubator.apache.org/

Re: question about including website source in release

Matthew Hayes-2
Got it, thanks Mark and Julian.