[VOTE] Release Apache SkyWalking (incubating) version 5.0.0-RC

[VOTE] Release Apache SkyWalking (incubating) version 5.0.0-RC

吴晟 Sheng Wu
Hi All,
This is a call for vote to release Apache SkyWalking (Incubating) version 5.0.0-RC.

The Apache SkyWalking community has tested, voted and approved the proposed
release of Apache SkyWalking (Incubating) 5.0.0-RC.

We now kindly request the Incubator PMC members review and vote on this
incubator release.

SkyWalking: APM (application performance monitor) tool for distributed systems,
especially designed for microservices, cloud native and container-based (Docker, Kubernetes, Mesos) architectures.
Underlying technology is a distributed tracing system.

Vote Thread:

 * From https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/e79564c5b33f5ccf0039b07acdecbef2b91d2d2eed08be96f0d29c2a@%3Cdev.skywalking.apache.org%3E

Release notes:

* https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking/blob/master/CHANGES.md#500-rc

Release Candidate:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/skywalking/5.0.0-RC/
* sha512 checksums
- dc985463c4681efb0b3d4f05b38ea5fb75007281314a911b98330dc2395467964d21d8636d7fb9dc3dbb10e4d1be0466f81e2c333b04603dc53e2e1c74e164b1 apache-skywalking-apm-incubating-5.0.0-RC-src.tgz
- b8a75bff90faa75e365eb70953b25df790b6eec99f82b5ad9d1ba4f9aa26847b40c0aef1eab6d7eeda2cec75d407556886ec38ff6157f312b9630837b8bd7e9c apache-skywalking-apm-incubating-5.0.0-RC.tar.gz
- 2f8fbe30bf0a5c769037a59a7f0d249abad9e14cb9772fc62cbd3f2e2845660523b3cb63d461ba1c6bcd069d0d54fe0498813feee6efdace6b6c0936a5160f12 apache-skywalking-apm-incubating-5.0.0-RC.zip

Maven 2 staging repository:

* https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheskywalking-1018/org/apache/skywalking/

Release Tag :

* (GitHub Tag) https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking/tree/v5.0.0-RC

Release CommitID :

* https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking/tree/281ba3edaf4706059078d4e730520f1379fcef96
* Git submodule
* skywalking-ui: https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking-ui/tree/ad3ee45dbadfae35d77238bdd7a1df593158f109
* apm-protocol/apm-network/src/main/proto: https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking-data-collect-protocol/tree/c02c12af12116121e25155d1f3fca0fadee5f2e9

Keys to verify the Release Candidate :

* https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/skywalking/KEYS corresponding to [hidden email]

Guide to build the release from source :

* https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking/blob/master/docs/en/How-to-build.md

Voting will start now (2018/9/4 date) and will remain open for at least 72 hours, Request all IPMC members to give their vote.
[ ] +1 Release this package.
[ ] +0 No opinion.
[ ] -1 Do not release this package because....

------------------
Sheng Wu
Apache SkyWalking

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache SkyWalking (incubating) version 5.0.0-RC

Willem Jiang
+1 (Binding)

1. Checked signed key and sha512 of source and binary package of
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/skywalking
2. Source code build successfully
3. Checked the artifacts in the staging repository
4. LICENSE and NOTICE are OK in source code and distribution package
5. Apache RAT checked
6. DISCLAIMER existed

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 10:18 AM 吴晟 Sheng Wu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking-data-collect-protocol/tree/c02c12af12116121e25155d1f3fca0fadee5f2e9
>

> Keys to verify the Release Candidate :
>

> * https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/skywalking/KEYS
> corresponding to [hidden email]
>

> Guide to build the release from source :
>

> *
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking/blob/master/docs/en/How-to-build.md
>

> Voting will start now (2018/9/4 date) and will remain open for at least 72
> hours, Request all IPMC members to give their vote.
> [ ] +1 Release this package.
> [ ] +0 No opinion.
> [ ] -1 Do not release this package because....
>

> ------------------
> Sheng Wu
> Apache SkyWalking

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache SkyWalking (incubating) version 5.0.0-RC

Sorry but it’s -1 (binding) due to LICENSE and NOTICE issues and instructions on how to build are missing.

I checked:
- incubating in name
- signatures and hashes match (but needed to use KEY file)
- DISCLAIMER exists
- LICENSE need work as you are not complying with the terms of the MIT license for iconfont as you need to include the full text of the license
- NOTICE doesn’t need to mention iconfont [1] MIT licensed items do not need to be added to NOTICE
- No unexpected binary files
- All source files have ASF headers
- Can’t compile from source as instructions are missing

It would be a good idea to publish your KEYS :
gpg: Signature made Sat  1 Sep 00:25:10 2018 AEST
gpg:                using RSA key D360AB2AB20B28403270E2CBE8608938DB25E06B
gpg: requesting key E8608938DB25E06B from hkps server hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net
sha512 apache-skywalking-apm-incubating-5.0.0-RC-src.tgz
cat apache-skywalking-apm-incubating-5.0.0-RC-src.tgz.sha512

Also please include full build instruction in the release rather than pointing to a URL as the contents at that URL can change or move. (And in this case have)

The build URL instruction in the README gives a 404:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking/blob/master/docs/en/How-to-build.md

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache SkyWalking (incubating) version 5.0.0-RC

吴晟 Sheng Wu
Hi Justin.

1. Sorry for 404 of how to build. It is caused by one of today's merge. Document location changed. Just after William checked our release. I should point it to our release TAG documents.[1]

2. The KEYS are used before and in ASF svn[2], and also in mail content, `Keys to verify the Release Candidate :` section. Is something wrong about this? I have checked locally again. .asc sign looks good.

3. > - LICENSE need work as you are not complying with the terms of the MIT license for iconfont as you need to include the full text of the license
iconfont hasn't independent license, we have already discussed that in last vote. It belongs to antd project, which's license is already included in our distribution. Do you mean we need to add full text of the license to our source release too?

4. > - NOTICE doesn’t need to mention iconfont [1] MIT licensed items do not need to be added to NOTICE
I will remove that. Both NOTICEs in source and distribution, right?

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking/blob/v5.0.0-RC/docs/en/How-to-build.md
[2] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/skywalking/KEYS

------------------
Sheng Wu
Apache SkyWalking

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache SkyWalking (incubating) version 5.0.0-RC

Hi,’

JFYI this link also’s 404s:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking/blob/master/docs/cn/How-to-build-CN.md

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache SkyWalking (incubating) version 5.0.0-RC

吴晟 Sheng Wu
Hi.

Should be this one, document url with tag

From:  "justin"<[hidden email]>;
Date:  Tue, Sep 4, 2018 05:58 PM
To:  "general"<[hidden email]>;

Hi,’

JFYI this link also’s 404s:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking/blob/master/docs/cn/How-to-build-CN.md

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache SkyWalking (incubating) version 5.0.0-RC

> 1. Sorry for 404 of how to build. It is caused by one of today's merge. Document location changed. Just after William checked our release. I should point it to our release TAG documents.[1]

Which is a good demonstration of why full instructions should be included in the release. :-)

> 2. The KEYS are used before and in ASF svn[2], and also in mail content, `Keys to verify the Release Candidate :` section. Is something wrong about this? I have checked locally again. .asc sign looks good.

There’s nothing wrong with teh KEYS or the signing it’s just a good idea to publish your keys so they are be easy to get at. This is a trivial issue, it just makes people life easier when reviewing or checking the release.

> 3. > - LICENSE need work as you are not complying with the terms of the MIT license for iconfont as you need to include the full text of the license
> iconfont hasn't independent license, we have already discussed that in last vote. It belongs to antd project, which's license is already included in our distribution. Do you mean we need to add full text of the license to our source release too?

The MIT license specifies "The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.” I believe you are missing that. This text (or a pointer to a file containing it) it is usually added to LICENSE. [1]

> 4. > - NOTICE doesn’t need to mention iconfont [1] MIT licensed items do not need to be added to NOTICE
> I will remove that. Both NOTICEs in source and distribution, right?

Yes in general MIT and BSD don’t need to be included in NOTICE. (Also [1])

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache SkyWalking (incubating) version 5.0.0-RC

吴晟 Sheng Wu
Hi Justin.

Thank for guide. Document is included in source release. But i don't point to there.

So in your perspective, do we need another vote of this version, or could fix this next time?

Sheng Wu
Apache SkyWalking

From Wu Sheng 's phone.

From: Justin Mclean <[hidden email]>
Date: Tue,Sep 4,2018 6:07 PM
To: general <[hidden email]>

Hi,

> 1. Sorry for 404 of how to build. It is caused by one of today's merge. Document location changed. Just after William checked our release. I should point it to our release TAG documents.[1]

Which is a good demonstration of why full instructions should be included in the release. :-)

> 2. The KEYS are used before and in ASF svn[2], and also in mail content, `Keys to verify the Release Candidate :` section. Is something wrong about this? I have checked locally again. .asc sign looks good.

There’s nothing wrong with teh KEYS or the signing it’s just a good idea to publish your keys so they are be easy to get at. This is a trivial issue, it just makes people life easier when reviewing or checking the release.

> 3. > - LICENSE need work as you are not complying with the terms of the MIT license for iconfont as you need to include the full text of the license
> iconfont hasn't independent license, we have already discussed that in last vote. It belongs to antd project, which's license is already included in our distribution. Do you mean we need to add full text of the license to our source release too?

The MIT license specifies "The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.” I believe you are missing that. This text (or a pointer to a file containing it) it is usually added to LICENSE. [1]

> 4. > - NOTICE doesn’t need to mention iconfont [1] MIT licensed items do not need to be added to NOTICE
> I will remove that. Both NOTICEs in source and distribution, right?

Yes in general MIT and BSD don’t need to be included in NOTICE. (Also [1])

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache SkyWalking (incubating) version 5.0.0-RC

Mick Semb Wever
Sheng,

> Thank for guide. Document is included in source release. But i don't
> point to there.

It is in the source release, but it could be simpler to find.

I think it would be fine if you added to the README.md a "Building" section like

```
# Building
See documentation in docs/en/How-to-build.md
```

With this you can/should remove the
"Guide to build the release from source" section from your release test/vote/announce emails.

> So in your perspective, do we need another vote of this version, or
> could fix this next time?

Yes you will need a new release and vote :(
Both LICENSE and NOTICE needs fixing.

AFAIK regardless if you include antd, as iconfont is transitively included then the MIT license must be included too.

regards,
Mick

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache SkyWalking (incubating) version 5.0.0-RC

吴晟 Sheng Wu
Mick

Thanks.

Sheng Wu
Apache SkyWalking

From Wu Sheng 's phone.

From: Mick Semb Wever <[hidden email]>
Date: Wed,Sep 5,2018 8:44 AM
To: general <[hidden email]>

Sheng,

> Thank for guide. Document is included in source release. But i don't
> point to there.

It is in the source release, but it could be simpler to find.

I think it would be fine if you added to the README.md a "Building" section like

```
# Building
See documentation in docs/en/How-to-build.md
```

With this you can/should remove the
"Guide to build the release from source" section from your release test/vote/announce emails.

> So in your perspective, do we need another vote of this version, or
> could fix this next time?

Yes you will need a new release and vote :(
Both LICENSE and NOTICE needs fixing.

AFAIK regardless if you include antd, as iconfont is transitively included then the MIT license must be included too.

regards,
Mick

[cancel][VOTE] Release Apache SkyWalking (incubating) version 5.0.0-RC

吴晟 Sheng Wu
Hi, everyone

Because license and notice breaks, I am canceling the vote. Thanks everyone.

Sheng Wu
Apache SkyWalking

From Wu Sheng 's phone.

From: 吴晟 Sheng Wu <[hidden email]>
Date: Wed,Sep 5,2018 9:07 AM
To: Incubator General <[hidden email]>

Mick

Thanks.

Sheng Wu
Apache SkyWalking

From Wu Sheng 's phone.

From: Mick Semb Wever <[hidden email]>
Date: Wed,Sep 5,2018 8:44 AM
To: general <[hidden email]>

Sheng,

> Thank for guide. Document is included in source release. But i don't
> point to there.

It is in the source release, but it could be simpler to find.

I think it would be fine if you added to the README.md a "Building" section like

```
# Building
See documentation in docs/en/How-to-build.md
```

With this you can/should remove the
"Guide to build the release from source" section from your release test/vote/announce emails.

> So in your perspective, do we need another vote of this version, or
> could fix this next time?

Yes you will need a new release and vote :(
Both LICENSE and NOTICE needs fixing.

AFAIK regardless if you include antd, as iconfont is transitively included then the MIT license must be included too.

regards,
Mick

Re: [cancel][VOTE] Release Apache SkyWalking (incubating) version 5.0.0-RC

Justin Mclean-2
Hi,

Do remember that a -1 is not a veto on releases, if you get 3 +1s and more
+1s than -1s you can still release. (Assuming you think the issue brought
up isn't serious and can be fixed in a later release.)

You can also try to change a person's mind who voted -1 and people can
change their vote.

Justin

Yes. Understood.

Thanks.