[VOTE] Release Apache PredictionIO 0.11.0 (incubating) RC2

[VOTE] Release Apache PredictionIO 0.11.0 (incubating) RC2

Donald Szeto
Hi all,

The PredictionIO community has voted that 0.11.0-incubating-rc2 to be good
for a source-only release. This thread is to facilitate a voting for the
IPMC before a final official source-only release.

Vote result on dev@:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/031ff6f98b3d5a54b716789bda50681a0c821f1054218843ac5fcc77@%3Cdev.predictionio.apache.org%3E

The original vote thread on dev@:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/d1bf205404bf4e16e12f17209f4f207722e554ee9e4139974812f8e4@%3Cdev.predictionio.apache.org%3E

The release candidate Git commit is:
e34a853d0e89baed09b3d3b0c25b244162a3bdea

The release candidate Git tag is:
v0.11.0-incubating-rc2

The source-only release candidate artifacts can be downloaded here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/predictionio/0.11.0-incubating-rc2/

Test results of RC2 can be found here:
https://travis-ci.org/apache/incubator-predictionio/builds/220381611

Build instructions of previous versions can be used on this RC:
http://predictionio.incubator.apache.org/install/install-sourcecode/

Maven artifacts are built from the release candidate artifacts above, and
are provided as convenience for testing with PredictionIO engine templates.
The Maven artifacts are provided at the Maven staging repo here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachepredictionio-1016/

All JIRAs completed for this release are tagged with 'FixVersion =
0.11.0-incubating'. You can view them here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12320420&version=12338381

The artifacts have been signed with Key : 8BF4ABEB

Please vote accordingly:

[ ] +1, accept RC as the official 0.11.0 release
[ ] 0, neutral because...
[ ] -1, do not accept RC as the official 0.11.0 release because...

The vote will be open for 72 hours and close at 12pm PDT 4/16/2016.

Regards,
Donald

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache PredictionIO 0.11.0 (incubating) RC2

Donald Szeto
Hi all,

This is a friendly reminder for the release voting of Apache PredictionIO
0.11.0-incubating-rc2. The voting will stay open until there are enough
votes for acceptance or rejection.

Regards,
Donald

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 11:41 AM, Donald Szeto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The PredictionIO community has voted that 0.11.0-incubating-rc2 to be good
> for a source-only release. This thread is to facilitate a voting for the
> IPMC before a final official source-only release.
>
> Vote result on dev@:
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/031ff6f98b3d5a54b716789bda5068
> 1a0c821f1054218843ac5fcc77@%3Cdev.predictionio.apache.org%3E
>
> The original vote thread on dev@:
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/d1bf205404bf4e16e12f17209f4f20
> 7722e554ee9e4139974812f8e4@%3Cdev.predictionio.apache.org%3E
>
> The release candidate Git commit is:
> e34a853d0e89baed09b3d3b0c25b244162a3bdea
>
> The release candidate Git tag is:
> v0.11.0-incubating-rc2
>
> The source-only release candidate artifacts can be downloaded here:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/predictionio/0.11.0-
> incubating-rc2/
>
> Test results of RC2 can be found here:
> https://travis-ci.org/apache/incubator-predictionio/builds/220381611
>
> Build instructions of previous versions can be used on this RC:
> http://predictionio.incubator.apache.org/install/install-sourcecode/
>
> Maven artifacts are built from the release candidate artifacts above, and
> are provided as convenience for testing with PredictionIO engine templates.
> The Maven artifacts are provided at the Maven staging repo here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
> orgapachepredictionio-1016/
>
> All JIRAs completed for this release are tagged with 'FixVersion =
> 0.11.0-incubating'. You can view them here: https://issues.apache.org/
> jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12320420&version=12338381
>
> The artifacts have been signed with Key : 8BF4ABEB
>
> Please vote accordingly:
>
> [ ] +1, accept RC as the official 0.11.0 release
> [ ] 0, neutral because...
> [ ] -1, do not accept RC as the official 0.11.0 release because...
>
> The vote will be open for 72 hours and close at 12pm PDT 4/16/2016.
>
> Regards,
> Donald

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache PredictionIO 0.11.0 (incubating) RC2

Luciano Resende
On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 11:41 AM, Donald Szeto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The PredictionIO community has voted that 0.11.0-incubating-rc2 to be good
> for a source-only release. This thread is to facilitate a voting for the
> IPMC before a final official source-only release.
>
> Vote result on dev@:
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/031ff6f98b3d5a54b716789bda5068
> 1a0c821f1054218843ac5fcc77@%3Cdev.predictionio.apache.org%3E
>
> The original vote thread on dev@:
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/d1bf205404bf4e16e12f17209f4f20
> 7722e554ee9e4139974812f8e4@%3Cdev.predictionio.apache.org%3E
>
> The release candidate Git commit is:
> e34a853d0e89baed09b3d3b0c25b244162a3bdea
>
> The release candidate Git tag is:
> v0.11.0-incubating-rc2
>
> The source-only release candidate artifacts can be downloaded here:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/predictionio/0.11.0-
> incubating-rc2/
>
> Test results of RC2 can be found here:
> https://travis-ci.org/apache/incubator-predictionio/builds/220381611
>
> Build instructions of previous versions can be used on this RC:
> http://predictionio.incubator.apache.org/install/install-sourcecode/
>
> Maven artifacts are built from the release candidate artifacts above, and
> are provided as convenience for testing with PredictionIO engine templates.
> The Maven artifacts are provided at the Maven staging repo here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
> orgapachepredictionio-1016/
>
> All JIRAs completed for this release are tagged with 'FixVersion =
> 0.11.0-incubating'. You can view them here:
> projectId=12320420&version=12338381
>
> The artifacts have been signed with Key : 8BF4ABEB
>
> Please vote accordingly:
>
> [ ] +1, accept RC as the official 0.11.0 release
> [ ] 0, neutral because...
> [ ] -1, do not accept RC as the official 0.11.0 release because...
>
> The vote will be open for 72 hours and close at 12pm PDT 4/16/2016.
>
> Regards,
> Donald

I was running RAT on the source distribution and there are a lot of unknown
licenses, some might be ok, but many are not, such as:

*.sbt in projects and sub-projects
*.css in docs

Other things like signatures, etc seems ok

--
Luciano Resende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975
http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache PredictionIO 0.11.0 (incubating) RC2

Donald Szeto
Hi Luciano,

Thanks for your review. I will file JIRAs regarding these files. They are
project build files and documentation.

Regards,
Donald

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 1:29 PM, Luciano Resende <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 11:41 AM, Donald Szeto <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The PredictionIO community has voted that 0.11.0-incubating-rc2 to be
> good
> > for a source-only release. This thread is to facilitate a voting for the
> > IPMC before a final official source-only release.
> >
> > Vote result on dev@:
> > https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/031ff6f98b3d5a54b716789bda5068
> > 1a0c821f1054218843ac5fcc77@%3Cdev.predictionio.apache.org%3E
> >
> > The original vote thread on dev@:
> > https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/d1bf205404bf4e16e12f17209f4f20
> > 7722e554ee9e4139974812f8e4@%3Cdev.predictionio.apache.org%3E
> >
> > The release candidate Git commit is:
> > e34a853d0e89baed09b3d3b0c25b244162a3bdea
> >
> > The release candidate Git tag is:
> > v0.11.0-incubating-rc2
> >
> > The source-only release candidate artifacts can be downloaded here:
> > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/predictionio/0.11.0-
> > incubating-rc2/
> >
> > Test results of RC2 can be found here:
> > https://travis-ci.org/apache/incubator-predictionio/builds/220381611
> >
> > Build instructions of previous versions can be used on this RC:
> > http://predictionio.incubator.apache.org/install/install-sourcecode/
> >
> > Maven artifacts are built from the release candidate artifacts above, and
> > are provided as convenience for testing with PredictionIO engine
> templates.
> > The Maven artifacts are provided at the Maven staging repo here:
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
> > orgapachepredictionio-1016/
> >
> > All JIRAs completed for this release are tagged with 'FixVersion =
> > 0.11.0-incubating'. You can view them here:
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?
> > projectId=12320420&version=12338381
> >
> > The artifacts have been signed with Key : 8BF4ABEB
> >
> > Please vote accordingly:
> >
> > [ ] +1, accept RC as the official 0.11.0 release
> > [ ] 0, neutral because...
> > [ ] -1, do not accept RC as the official 0.11.0 release because...
> >
> > The vote will be open for 72 hours and close at 12pm PDT 4/16/2016.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Donald
> >

> I was running RAT on the source distribution and there are a lot of unknown
> licenses, some might be ok, but many are not, such as:
>
> *.sbt in projects and sub-projects
> *.css in docs
>
> Other things like signatures, etc seems ok
>

> --
> Luciano Resende
> http://twitter.com/lresende1975
> http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache PredictionIO 0.11.0 (incubating) RC2

Pat Ferrel
+1 non-binding

Next release we could exclude the doc site. Do build files like .sbt require licenses? I suppose it can be done in comments. But again can we push to next release?

Can other binding voters have a look? I know everyone is busy but hey, tax day is past ;-)

wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 11:41 AM, Donald Szeto <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The PredictionIO community has voted that 0.11.0-incubating-rc2 to be
> good
>> for a source-only release. This thread is to facilitate a voting for the
>> IPMC before a final official source-only release.
>>
>> Vote result on dev@:
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/031ff6f98b3d5a54b716789bda5068
>> 1a0c821f1054218843ac5fcc77@%3Cdev.predictionio.apache.org%3E
>>
>> The original vote thread on dev@:
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/d1bf205404bf4e16e12f17209f4f20
>> 7722e554ee9e4139974812f8e4@%3Cdev.predictionio.apache.org%3E
>>
>> The release candidate Git commit is:
>> e34a853d0e89baed09b3d3b0c25b244162a3bdea
>>
>> The release candidate Git tag is:
>> v0.11.0-incubating-rc2
>>
>> The source-only release candidate artifacts can be downloaded here:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/predictionio/0.11.0-
>> incubating-rc2/
>>
>> Test results of RC2 can be found here:
>> https://travis-ci.org/apache/incubator-predictionio/builds/220381611
>>
>> Build instructions of previous versions can be used on this RC:
>> http://predictionio.incubator.apache.org/install/install-sourcecode/
>>
>> Maven artifacts are built from the release candidate artifacts above, and
>> are provided as convenience for testing with PredictionIO engine
> templates.
>> The Maven artifacts are provided at the Maven staging repo here:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
>> orgapachepredictionio-1016/
>>
>> All JIRAs completed for this release are tagged with 'FixVersion =
>> 0.11.0-incubating'. You can view them here:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?
>> projectId=12320420&version=12338381
>>
>> The artifacts have been signed with Key : 8BF4ABEB
>>
>> Please vote accordingly:
>>
>> [ ] +1, accept RC as the official 0.11.0 release
>> [ ] 0, neutral because...
>> [ ] -1, do not accept RC as the official 0.11.0 release because...
>>
>> The vote will be open for 72 hours and close at 12pm PDT 4/16/2016.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Donald
>>

> I was running RAT on the source distribution and there are a lot of unknown
> licenses, some might be ok, but many are not, such as:
>
> *.sbt in projects and sub-projects
> *.css in docs
>
> Other things like signatures, etc seems ok
>

> --
> Luciano Resende
> http://twitter.com/lresende1975
> http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Incubator Governance Change

Pat Ferrel
Probably the wrong place for this but…

What do people think about a governance change for approving releases through the IPMC to wit:

A week of no vote activity over the release proposal of a podling should be considered a passing vote. In other words the IPMC is to become a vetoing group.

I propose this for 2 reasons: 1) lack of votes or attention from the IPMC seems all too prevalent and puts an undo drag on the energy and velocity of community involvement. 2) the release has already been voted on and checked by at least 3 PMC members of the podling (which has ASF mentors in most all cases) so a veto role by the IPMC seems to have minimum danger to the ASF system of checks and balances.

wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 11:41 AM, Donald Szeto <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The PredictionIO community has voted that 0.11.0-incubating-rc2 to be
> good
>> for a source-only release. This thread is to facilitate a voting for the
>> IPMC before a final official source-only release.
>>
>> Vote result on dev@:
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/031ff6f98b3d5a54b716789bda5068
>> 1a0c821f1054218843ac5fcc77@%3Cdev.predictionio.apache.org%3E
>>
>> The original vote thread on dev@:
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/d1bf205404bf4e16e12f17209f4f20
>> 7722e554ee9e4139974812f8e4@%3Cdev.predictionio.apache.org%3E
>>
>> The release candidate Git commit is:
>> e34a853d0e89baed09b3d3b0c25b244162a3bdea
>>
>> The release candidate Git tag is:
>> v0.11.0-incubating-rc2
>>
>> The source-only release candidate artifacts can be downloaded here:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/predictionio/0.11.0-
>> incubating-rc2/
>>
>> Test results of RC2 can be found here:
>> https://travis-ci.org/apache/incubator-predictionio/builds/220381611
>>
>> Build instructions of previous versions can be used on this RC:
>> http://predictionio.incubator.apache.org/install/install-sourcecode/
>>
>> Maven artifacts are built from the release candidate artifacts above, and
>> are provided as convenience for testing with PredictionIO engine
> templates.
>> The Maven artifacts are provided at the Maven staging repo here:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
>> orgapachepredictionio-1016/
>>
>> All JIRAs completed for this release are tagged with 'FixVersion =
>> 0.11.0-incubating'. You can view them here:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?
>> projectId=12320420&version=12338381
>>
>> The artifacts have been signed with Key : 8BF4ABEB
>>
>> Please vote accordingly:
>>
>> [ ] +1, accept RC as the official 0.11.0 release
>> [ ] 0, neutral because...
>> [ ] -1, do not accept RC as the official 0.11.0 release because...
>>
>> The vote will be open for 72 hours and close at 12pm PDT 4/16/2016.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Donald
>>

> I was running RAT on the source distribution and there are a lot of unknown
> licenses, some might be ok, but many are not, such as:
>
> *.sbt in projects and sub-projects
> *.css in docs
>
> Other things like signatures, etc seems ok
>

> --
> Luciano Resende
> http://twitter.com/lresende1975
> http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Re: Incubator Governance Change

Julian Hyde-3
I agree that lack of IPMC votes is a problem. I don’t think that lowering the bar to making a release is the solution.

I wish that each IPMC member would personally commit to voting on two release candidates per year. There are so many members of the IPMC that this would easily cover all of the votes that come up.

Julian

> [...]
>>> orgapachepredictionio-1016/
>>>
>>> All JIRAs completed for this release are tagged with 'FixVersion =
>>> 0.11.0-incubating'. You can view them here:
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?
>>> projectId=12320420&version=12338381
>>>
>>> The artifacts have been signed with Key : 8BF4ABEB
>>>
>>> Please vote accordingly:
>>>
>>> [ ] +1, accept RC as the official 0.11.0 release
>>> [ ] 0, neutral because...
>>> [ ] -1, do not accept RC as the official 0.11.0 release because...
>>>
>>> The vote will be open for 72 hours and close at 12pm PDT 4/16/2016.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Donald
>>>

>> I was running RAT on the source distribution and there are a lot of unknown
>> licenses, some might be ok, but many are not, such as:
>>
>> *.sbt in projects and sub-projects
>> *.css in docs
>>
>> Other things like signatures, etc seems ok

Joe Schaefer-4
The traditional response to this issue is to grow the ipmc to incorporate
more podling committers.

On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 1:02 PM Julian Hyde <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree that lack of IPMC votes is a problem. I don’t think that lowering
> the bar to making a release is the solution.
>
> I wish that each IPMC member would personally commit to voting on two
> release candidates per year. There are so many members of the IPMC that
> this would easily cover all of the votes that come up.
>
> Julian
>

> > On Apr 22, 2017, at 8:46 AM, Pat Ferrel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Probably the wrong place for this but…
> >
> > What do people think about a governance change for approving releases
> through the IPMC to wit:
> >
> > A week of no vote activity over the release proposal of a podling should
> be considered a passing vote. In other words the IPMC is to become a
> vetoing group.
> >
> > I propose this for 2 reasons: 1) lack of votes or attention from the
> IPMC seems all too prevalent and puts an undo drag on the energy and
> velocity of community involvement. 2) the release has already been voted on
> and checked by at least 3 PMC members of the podling (which has ASF mentors
> in most all cases) so a veto role by the IPMC seems to have minimum danger
> to the ASF system of checks and balances.
> >

> > On Apr 19, 2017, at 9:33 AM, Pat Ferrel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > +1 non-binding
> >
> > Next release we could exclude the doc site. Do build files like .sbt
> require licenses? I suppose it can be done in comments. But again can we
> push to next release
> >
> > Can other binding voters have a look? I know everyone is busy but hey,
> tax day is past ;-)
> >

> > On Apr 18, 2017, at 1:00 PM, Donald Szeto <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Luciano,
> >
> > Thanks for your review. I will file JIRAs regarding these files. They are
> > project build files and documentation.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Donald
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 1:29 PM, Luciano Resende <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:

> >> good
> the

> and
> >> templates.

> >> I was running RAT on the source distribution and there are a lot of
> unknown
> >> licenses, some might be ok, but many are not, such as:
> >>
> >> *.sbt in projects and sub-projects
> >> *.css in docs
> >>
> >> Other things like signatures, etc seems ok
> >>

> >> --
> >> Luciano Resende
> >> http://twitter.com/lresende1975
> >> http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Re: Incubator Governance Change

Pat Ferrel
That works if human nature is not involved and would still produce the same affect so I’d second your request in any case.

However human nature is involved and my proposal would at least guarantee that human nature could not hold innocent projects hostage. BTW notice the include vote request, now over a week in with no binding up or down votes.

On Apr 22, 2017, at 10:02 AM, Julian Hyde <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>>> orgapachepredictionio-1016/
>>>
>>> All JIRAs completed for this release are tagged with 'FixVersion =
>>> 0.11.0-incubating'. You can view them here:
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?
>>> projectId=12320420&version=12338381
>>>
>>> The artifacts have been signed with Key : 8BF4ABEB
>>>
>>> Please vote accordingly:
>>>
>>> [ ] +1, accept RC as the official 0.11.0 release
>>> [ ] 0, neutral because...
>>> [ ] -1, do not accept RC as the official 0.11.0 release because...
>>>
>>> The vote will be open for 72 hours and close at 12pm PDT 4/16/2016.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Donald
>>>

>> I was running RAT on the source distribution and there are a lot of unknown
>> licenses, some might be ok, but many are not, such as:
>>
>> *.sbt in projects and sub-projects
>> *.css in docs
>>
>> Other things like signatures, etc seems ok

Growing the IPMC is of no use if the members don’t show up and vote.

The IPMC performs an important gatekeeper role, ensuring that podling releases are of sufficient quality to bear the “Apache (Incubating)” stamp. In my view, all IPMC members have a duty to help with that gatekeeping role. If they don’t, the extra burden falls on other IPMC members, and podlings have a crappy experience.

I don’t think two votes per year is too much to ask. If you’re not up to it, resign from the IPMC.

Julian

> On Apr 22, 2017, at 10:15 AM, Joe Schaefer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The traditional response to this issue is to grow the ipmc to incorporate
> more podling committers.
>
> On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 1:02 PM Julian Hyde <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I agree that lack of IPMC votes is a problem. I don’t think that lowering
>> the bar to making a release is the solution.
>>
>> I wish that each IPMC member would personally commit to voting on two
>> release candidates per year. There are so many members of the IPMC that
>> this would easily cover all of the votes that come up.
>>
>> Julian
>>

>>> On Apr 22, 2017, at 8:46 AM, Pat Ferrel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Probably the wrong place for this but…
>>>
>>> What do people think about a governance change for approving releases
>> through the IPMC to wit:
>>>
>>> A week of no vote activity over the release proposal of a podling should
>> be considered a passing vote. In other words the IPMC is to become a
>> vetoing group.
>>>
>>> I propose this for 2 reasons: 1) lack of votes or attention from the
>> IPMC seems all too prevalent and puts an undo drag on the energy and
>> velocity of community involvement. 2) the release has already been voted on
>> and checked by at least 3 PMC members of the podling (which has ASF mentors
>> in most all cases) so a veto role by the IPMC seems to have minimum danger
>> to the ASF system of checks and balances.
>>>

>>> On Apr 19, 2017, at 9:33 AM, Pat Ferrel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> +1 non-binding
>>>
>>> Next release we could exclude the doc site. Do build files like .sbt
>> require licenses? I suppose it can be done in comments. But again can we
>> push to next release
>>>
>>> Can other binding voters have a look? I know everyone is busy but hey,
>> tax day is past ;-)
>>>

>>> On Apr 18, 2017, at 1:00 PM, Donald Szeto <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Luciano,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your review. I will file JIRAs regarding these files. They are
>>> project build files and documentation.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Donald

>> the

>> and

>> unknown

Re: Incubator Governance Change

Joe Schaefer-4
Incorrect.  These people I'm talking about are already voting on (their
own) releases, we just fail to count their votes as binding because we are
anally retentitive about our own status.

On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 1:41 PM Julian Hyde <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Growing the IPMC is of no use if the members don’t show up and vote.
>
> The IPMC performs an important gatekeeper role, ensuring that podling
> releases are of sufficient quality to bear the “Apache (Incubating)” stamp.
> In my view, all IPMC members have a duty to help with that gatekeeping
> role. If they don’t, the extra burden falls on other IPMC members, and
> podlings have a crappy experience.
>
> I don’t think two votes per year is too much to ask. If you’re not up to
> it, resign from the IPMC.
>
> Julian
>

> > On Apr 22, 2017, at 10:15 AM, Joe Schaefer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > The traditional response to this issue is to grow the ipmc to incorporate
> > more podling committers.
> >
> > On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 1:02 PM Julian Hyde <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I agree that lack of IPMC votes is a problem. I don’t think that
> lowering
> >> the bar to making a release is the solution.
> >>
> >> I wish that each IPMC member would personally commit to voting on two
> >> release candidates per year. There are so many members of the IPMC that
> >> this would easily cover all of the votes that come up.
> >>
> >> Julian

> >> through the IPMC to wit:

> should
> >> be considered a passing vote. In other words the IPMC is to become a
> >> vetoing group.

> >> IPMC seems all too prevalent and puts an undo drag on the energy and
> >> velocity of community involvement. 2) the release has already been
> voted on
> >> and checked by at least 3 PMC members of the podling (which has ASF
> mentors
> >> in most all cases) so a veto role by the IPMC seems to have minimum
> danger
> >> to the ASF system of checks and balances.

> >> require licenses? I suppose it can be done in comments. But again can we
> >> push to next release

> >> tax day is past ;-)

> are

> >> the

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/predictionio/0.11.0-

> >> and

> >> unknown

Re: Incubator Governance Change

Pat Ferrel
While I agree, asking is not enforcing. This would add enforcement that would allow the IPMC to function but have an enforceable clause that also does not allow it to roadblock by neglect.

Plus about 1/2 the reason I bring this up is trying to get more votes on PredictionIO :-)

On Apr 22, 2017, at 10:41 AM, Julian Hyde <[hidden email]> wrote:

Growing the IPMC is of no use if the members don’t show up and vote.

The IPMC performs an important gatekeeper role, ensuring that podling releases are of sufficient quality to bear the “Apache (Incubating)” stamp. In my view, all IPMC members have a duty to help with that gatekeeping role. If they don’t, the extra burden falls on other IPMC members, and podlings have a crappy experience.

I don’t think two votes per year is too much to ask. If you’re not up to it, resign from the IPMC.

Julian

> On Apr 22, 2017, at 10:15 AM, Joe Schaefer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The traditional response to this issue is to grow the ipmc to incorporate
> more podling committers.
>
> On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 1:02 PM Julian Hyde <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I agree that lack of IPMC votes is a problem. I don’t think that lowering
>> the bar to making a release is the solution.
>>
>> I wish that each IPMC member would personally commit to voting on two
>> release candidates per year. There are so many members of the IPMC that
>> this would easily cover all of the votes that come up.
>>
>> Julian
>>

>>> On Apr 22, 2017, at 8:46 AM, Pat Ferrel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Probably the wrong place for this but…
>>>
>>> What do people think about a governance change for approving releases
>> through the IPMC to wit:
>>>
>>> A week of no vote activity over the release proposal of a podling should
>> be considered a passing vote. In other words the IPMC is to become a
>> vetoing group.
>>>
>>> I propose this for 2 reasons: 1) lack of votes or attention from the
>> IPMC seems all too prevalent and puts an undo drag on the energy and
>> velocity of community involvement. 2) the release has already been voted on
>> and checked by at least 3 PMC members of the podling (which has ASF mentors
>> in most all cases) so a veto role by the IPMC seems to have minimum danger
>> to the ASF system of checks and balances.
>>>

>>> On Apr 19, 2017, at 9:33 AM, Pat Ferrel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> +1 non-binding
>>>
>>> Next release we could exclude the doc site. Do build files like .sbt
>> require licenses? I suppose it can be done in comments. But again can we
>> push to next release
>>>
>>> Can other binding voters have a look? I know everyone is busy but hey,
>> tax day is past ;-)
>>>

>>> On Apr 18, 2017, at 1:00 PM, Donald Szeto <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Luciano,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your review. I will file JIRAs regarding these files. They are
>>> project build files and documentation.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Donald

>> the

>> and

>> unknown

Re: Incubator Governance Change

Joe Schaefer-4
Your proposal violates foundation policy on releases and is therefore a
nonstarter.  The ipmc isn't empowered to restructure release policy.

That said, talk to your project mentors about nominating competent release
managers and others participating constructively in the vetting process at
the podling level to the ipmc.  It seems we've dropped the ball again on a
problem we solved years ago by not keeping up with the pace of growth.

On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 1:47 PM Pat Ferrel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> While I agree, asking is not enforcing. This would add enforcement that
> would allow the IPMC to function but have an enforceable clause that also
> does not allow it to roadblock by neglect.
>
> Plus about 1/2 the reason I bring this up is trying to get more votes on
> PredictionIO :-)
>

> On Apr 22, 2017, at 10:41 AM, Julian Hyde <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Growing the IPMC is of no use if the members don’t show up and vote.
>
> The IPMC performs an important gatekeeper role, ensuring that podling
> releases are of sufficient quality to bear the “Apache (Incubating)” stamp.
> In my view, all IPMC members have a duty to help with that gatekeeping
> role. If they don’t, the extra burden falls on other IPMC members, and
> podlings have a crappy experience.
>
> I don’t think two votes per year is too much to ask. If you’re not up to
> it, resign from the IPMC.
>
> Julian
>

> > On Apr 22, 2017, at 10:15 AM, Joe Schaefer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > The traditional response to this issue is to grow the ipmc to incorporate
> > more podling committers.
> >
> > On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 1:02 PM Julian Hyde <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I agree that lack of IPMC votes is a problem. I don’t think that
> lowering
> >> the bar to making a release is the solution.
> >>
> >> I wish that each IPMC member would personally commit to voting on two
> >> release candidates per year. There are so many members of the IPMC that
> >> this would easily cover all of the votes that come up.
> >>
> >> Julian

> >> through the IPMC to wit:

> should
> >> be considered a passing vote. In other words the IPMC is to become a
> >> vetoing group.

> >> IPMC seems all too prevalent and puts an undo drag on the energy and
> >> velocity of community involvement. 2) the release has already been
> voted on
> >> and checked by at least 3 PMC members of the podling (which has ASF
> mentors
> >> in most all cases) so a veto role by the IPMC seems to have minimum
> danger
> >> to the ASF system of checks and balances.

> >> require licenses? I suppose it can be done in comments. But again can we
> >> push to next release

> >> tax day is past ;-)

> are

> >> the

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/predictionio/0.11.0-

> >> and

> >> unknown

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache PredictionIO 0.11.0 (incubating) RC2

Joe Schaefer-4
How many binding votes do you need at this point?
On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 12:34 PM Pat Ferrel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> The artifacts have been signed with Key : 8BF4ABEB
> >>
> >> Please vote accordingly:
> >>
> >> [ ] +1, accept RC as the official 0.11.0 release
> >> [ ] 0, neutral because...
> >> [ ] -1, do not accept RC as the official 0.11.0 release because...
> >>
> >> The vote will be open for 72 hours and close at 12pm PDT 4/16/2016.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Donald
> >>

> > I was running RAT on the source distribution and there are a lot of
> unknown
> > licenses, some might be ok, but many are not, such as:
> >
> > *.sbt in projects and sub-projects
> > *.css in docs
> >
> > Other things like signatures, etc seems ok
> >

> > --
> > Luciano Resende
> > http://twitter.com/lresende1975
> > http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache PredictionIO 0.11.0 (incubating) RC2

There have been no binding votes, thanks.

On Apr 22, 2017, at 11:31 AM, Joe Schaefer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>>> The artifacts have been signed with Key : 8BF4ABEB
>>>
>>> Please vote accordingly:
>>>
>>> [ ] +1, accept RC as the official 0.11.0 release
>>> [ ] 0, neutral because...
>>> [ ] -1, do not accept RC as the official 0.11.0 release because...
>>>
>>> The vote will be open for 72 hours and close at 12pm PDT 4/16/2016.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Donald
>>>

>> I was running RAT on the source distribution and there are a lot of
> unknown
>> licenses, some might be ok, but many are not, such as:
>>
>> *.sbt in projects and sub-projects
>> *.css in docs
>>
>> Other things like signatures, etc seems ok
>>

>> --
>> Luciano Resende
>> http://twitter.com/lresende1975
>> http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache PredictionIO 0.11.0 (incubating) RC2

I would feel ok voting positively once these are fixed in master.

http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache PredictionIO 0.11.0 (incubating) RC2

Pat Ferrel
But is it worth doing yet another podling RC and release vote?

If it is, please vote -1, at least we won’t be left waiting and we thank you for being the one who took a look either way.

We are just trying to move, out if possible or iterate if not. These issues have not changed from the current release and so do not indicate regression and they have Jira’s for the next release.

On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 12:14 PM, Pat Ferrel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But is it worth doing yet another podling RC and release vote?
>

> If it is, please vote -1, at least we won’t be left waiting and we thank
> you for being the one who took a look either way.
>
> We are just trying to move, out if possible or iterate if not. These
> issues have not changed from the current release and so do not indicate
> regression and they have Jira’s for the next release.

Not necessary, once this is fixed in master I would vote ok for the current
RC

--
Luciano Resende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975
http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache PredictionIO 0.11.0 (incubating) RC2

Andrew Purtell
I will too, and then you will have two binding votes in the affirmative.

> On Apr 22, 2017, at 12:34 PM, Luciano Resende <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 12:14 PM, Pat Ferrel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> But is it worth doing yet another podling RC and release vote?
>>

>> If it is, please vote -1, at least we won’t be left waiting and we thank
>> you for being the one who took a look either way.
>>
>> We are just trying to move, out if possible or iterate if not. These
>> issues have not changed from the current release and so do not indicate
>> regression and they have Jira’s for the next release.
>>

> Not necessary, once this is fixed in master I would vote ok for the current
> RC
>
> --
> Luciano Resende
> http://twitter.com/lresende1975
> http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache PredictionIO 0.11.0 (incubating) RC2

John D. Ament-2
In general, the preference is to report the non-blocking issue, and confirm
the podling has it entered into their bug tracker.  Then they accept
the +1.  We don't generally wait for a code change to be made, but would
block the next release if these issues are not addressed.  I personally
want to understand why we're requiring the podling to fix it now before
approving the release.  This looks like PredictionIO's first release, so we
wouldn't have seen this already.

The contents of the release generally look good.  IN addition to the notes
from Luciano, your NOTICE file should be updated to reflect 2016-2017 ASF.
I would recommend renaming these files to just NOTICE and LICENSE and drop
the .txt, to better comply with the licensing.

Here's my +1, not waiting for anything to be fixed.

John