[VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 9.0 Beta (incubating) rc3

[VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 9.0 Beta (incubating) rc3

Geertjan Wielenga
Hi all,

The Apache NetBeans community has voted on and approved a proposal to
release Apache NetBeans 9.0 Beta (incubating) rc3.

We now kindly request that the Incubator PMC members review and vote
on this incubator release candidate.

Apache NetBeans 9.0 Beta (incubating) constitutes all the modules
currently in the Apache NetBeans Git repo, which together provide the
NetBeans Platform (i.e., the underlying application framework), which
was released as Apache NetBeans 9.0 Alpha (incubating), as well as all
the modules that provide the Java SE-related features of Apache
NetBeans. In short, Apache NetBeans 9.0 Beta (incubating) is a full
IDE for Java SE development.

Just like the Alpha release, the Beta release is focused specifically
on IP clearance. With Beta, everything in Apache NetBeans Git complies
with Apache IP clearance requirements:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+9.0+Beta

Changes between rc1 and rc2 -- binaries wrongly included in source zip
have been removed:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-276

Changes between rc2 and rc3 -- problems identified by the rc2 IPMC
vote by IPMC members Justin Mclean and John D. Ament have been solved
or issues have been created:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+9.0+Beta+rc3

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/8e9520d5e1e365ed2337940fb629c209c63efae24b0a2e44d50412a3@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

How to try out the Beta release:

1. Download the artifact to be voted on and unzip it.
2. Build it using the README provided by the artifact.
3. Look in nbbuild/netbeans for the NetBeans installation created by
the build process.
4. Run the NetBeans executable and (if you're running on JDK 8) you'll
be prompted to install nb-javac, after agreeing to its licensing
terms, and (if you're running on JDK 9), you'll be able to use javac
directly from JDK 9 and, optionally, you'll be prompted to install
nb-javac, after agreeing to its licensing terms.

Take note of the Apache Rat exclusions, which are now in a separate file:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/blob/master/nbbuild/rat-exclusions.txt

If the above succeeds, i.e., Apache NetBeans installs and starts up,
you will have a Java SE development environment that complies with
Apache IP requirements.

Apache NetBeans 9.0 Beta (incubating) rc3 vote thread:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/f1c5a2a3077690f2c7785ed81c36f1ba1920efa01b26f3e7a5f32f2b@%3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E

Apache NetBeans 9.0 Beta (incubating) vote result thread:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/079f610360463621276d6d8c99979991bded812559a34eff4458a073@%3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E

In the above, note there are two IPMC binding votes from Ate Douma and
Bertrand Delacretaz, both Apache NetBeans (incubating) mentors, and 31
non-binding votes, from PPMC members and others in the Apache NetBeans
community.

The source tarball, including signatures, digests, etc., as well as a
convenience binary, can be found at:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/netbeans/incubating-netbeans-java/incubating-9.0-beta-rc3/

The tag to be voted upon is 9.0-beta-rc3:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/tree/9.0-beta-rc3

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/releases/tag/9.0-beta-rc3

Also note, if tag is not identical:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/66daa753d25a482efecc5b86fdc00dc31250ca1448b533bfba82a51d@%3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E

The release hash is:

96974a6c59957fb3d8ff18b9dd8a9323ddb00968

...which is found at:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/netbeans/incubating-netbeans-java/incubating-9.0-beta-rc3/incubating-netbeans-java-9.0-beta-source.zip.sha1

KEYS file is available:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/netbeans/KEYS

Please download the release candidate and evaluate the necessary items
including checking hashes, signatures, build from source, run and
test.

Please vote on releasing this package as Apache NetBeans 9.0 Beta
(incubating) rc3:

The vote will be open for 72 hours.
[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache NetBeans 9.0 Beta (incubating) rc3
[ ] +0 no opinion

Geertjan
on behalf of Apache NetBeans PPMC

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 9.0 Beta (incubating) rc3

David Jencks-3
What happened to
LEGAL-361 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-361>
?

My impression from this issue is that the previous RC included a binary jar that was mostly EPL 1.0 but had at least one file that no one knew the origin, contents, or license of.  I don’t see that any progress has been made on this issue, has the jar been removed from the new RC?  I just scanned a couple of the links below but didn’t see any mention of this.

david jencks

> [...]
>
> ...which is found at:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/netbeans/incubating-netbeans-java/incubating-9.0-beta-rc3/incubating-netbeans-java-9.0-beta-source.zip.sha1
>
> KEYS file is available:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/netbeans/KEYS
>
> Please download the release candidate and evaluate the necessary items
> including checking hashes, signatures, build from source, run and
> test.
>
> Please vote on releasing this package as Apache NetBeans 9.0 Beta
> (incubating) rc3:
>
> The vote will be open for 72 hours.
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache NetBeans 9.0 Beta (incubating) rc3
> [ ] +0 no opinion

> Geertjan
> on behalf of Apache NetBeans PPMC

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 9.0 Beta (incubating) rc3

Proposed solution is in the issue --

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/pull/421

Gj

On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 8:55 PM, David Jencks <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> ...which is found at:
>>
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/netbeans/incubating-netbeans-java/incubating-9.0-beta-rc3/incubating-netbeans-java-9.0-beta-source.zip.sha1
>>
>> KEYS file is available:
>>
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/netbeans/KEYS
>>
>> Please download the release candidate and evaluate the necessary items
>> including checking hashes, signatures, build from source, run and
>> test.
>>
>> Please vote on releasing this package as Apache NetBeans 9.0 Beta
>> (incubating) rc3:
>>
>> The vote will be open for 72 hours.
>> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache NetBeans 9.0 Beta (incubating) rc3
>> [ ] +0 no opinion

>> Geertjan
>> on behalf of Apache NetBeans PPMC

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 9.0 Beta (incubating) rc3

Mark Struberg-2
I think this is reasonably enough for this release.

We should keep an eye on it and probably someone can upload a fixed release to maven.central.

I've also checked the other parts and found no obvious problem

So

+1 (binding)

txs and LieGrue,
strub

> [...]
>>>
>>> KEYS file is available:
>>>
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/netbeans/KEYS
>>>
>>> Please download the release candidate and evaluate the necessary items
>>> including checking hashes, signatures, build from source, run and
>>> test.
>>>
>>> Please vote on releasing this package as Apache NetBeans 9.0 Beta
>>> (incubating) rc3:
>>>
>>> The vote will be open for 72 hours.
>>> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache NetBeans 9.0 Beta (incubating) rc3
>>> [ ] +0 no opinion
>>> [ ] -1 Do not release this package because ...
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Geertjan
>>> on behalf of Apache NetBeans PPMC

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 9.0 Beta (incubating) rc3

Since the pull request was made about 8 hours ago, am I correct in thinking that the rc3 candidate still includes the jar with unknown contents and provenance?

Mark, how could an EPL 1.0 jar with an AL 2 patch applied be uploaded to maven central? For one thing, what would the maven coordinates be?

Thanks
David Jencks

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 13, 2018, at 5:23 AM, Mark Struberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think this is reasonably enough for this release.
>
> We should keep an eye on it and probably someone can upload a fixed release to maven.central.
>
> I've also checked the other parts and found no obvious problem
>
> So
>
> +1 (binding)
>

> txs and LieGrue,
> strub
>

>> Am 13.02.2018 um 08:32 schrieb Geertjan Wielenga <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Proposed solution is in the issue --
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-361
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/pull/421
>>
>> Gj
>>
>>> On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 8:55 PM, David Jencks <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> What happened to
>>> LEGAL-361 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-361>
>>> ?
>>>
>>> My impression from this issue is that the previous RC included a binary jar that was mostly EPL 1.0 but had at least one file that no one knew the origin, contents, or license of.  I don’t see that any progress has been made on this issue, has the jar been removed from the new RC?  I just scanned a couple of the links below but didn’t see any mention of this.
>>>
>>> david jencks

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 9.0 Beta (incubating) rc3

Mark Struberg-2
That's a practical issue and not a legal one I'd say.

But yes, finally I'd suggest to use different maven coordinates in the future at least.
Otoh we do not even require that this file is on maven.central.
Just downloadable form a private http page or on github would be perfectly enough FROM A LEGAL POV.

We really have to split the legal stuff from the point of providing reproducible artifacts.
In a long term this would not be from the later aspect.
But look e.g. at OpenJPA and Geronimo. Over there we use privately released serp artifacts since a decade. I'm _not_ happy with that neither and would love to switch fully over to ASM for example. But legally it's not a problem.
The same was happening in Maven with the various artifacts hosted at Codehaus or Eclipse.
Far from perfect from a community perspective. But LEGALLY it's ok.

So I totally agree that NetBeans has to adress this in the future. But it imo doesn't block this release, isn't it?

LieGrue,
strub

> Am 13.02.2018 um 16:51 schrieb David Jencks <[hidden email]>:
>
> Since the pull request was made about 8 hours ago, am I correct in thinking that the rc3 candidate still includes the jar with unknown contents and provenance?
>
> Mark, how could an EPL 1.0 jar with an AL 2 patch applied be uploaded to maven central? For one thing, what would the maven coordinates be?
>
> Thanks
> David Jencks
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Feb 13, 2018, at 5:23 AM, Mark Struberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I think this is reasonably enough for this release.
>>
>> We should keep an eye on it and probably someone can upload a fixed release to maven.central.
>>
>> I've also checked the other parts and found no obvious problem
>>
>> So
>>
>> +1 (binding)
>>

>> txs and LieGrue,
>> strub
>>

>>> Am 13.02.2018 um 08:32 schrieb Geertjan Wielenga <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Proposed solution is in the issue --
>>>
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-361
>>>
>>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/pull/421
>>>
>>> Gj

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 9.0 Beta (incubating) rc3

I know the vote is over but you may want to fix this issues I noticed before the next release:
- How are these wav files licensed? [8]
- Looks like you make have a dependancy on a 4 clause BSD license. [9] That’s Category X and not allowed.

BTW I would of voted -1 on this release as it contains compiled source code [1][2][3][4][5][6][7]

1 ./autoupdate.services/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/api/autoupdate/data/dummy-signed-twice.jar
2 ./autoupdate.services/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/api/autoupdate/data/dummy-signed.jar
3 ./classfile/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/modules/classfile/datafiles/WithLambda.classx
4 ./classfile/test/unit/src/regression/datafiles/left-square.class
5 ./classfile/test/unit/src/regression/datafiles/SwitchData.class
6 ./classfile/test/unit/src/regression/datafiles/test91098.class
7 ./nbi/engine/src/org/netbeans/installer/utils/applications/TestJDK.class
8 ./javafx2.samples/Xylophone/src/xylophone/Note?.wav
9 ./incubating-netbeans-java-9.0-beta-source.zip/spellchecker.dictionary_en/external/ispell-enwl-3.1.20-license.txt

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 9.0 Beta (incubating) rc3

Geertjan Wielenga
Thanks a lot, these should be trivial to fix, will make issues for all and
merge for the next release.

Gj

On Friday, February 16, 2018, Justin Mclean <[hidden email]>

> I know the vote is over but you may want to fix this issues I noticed
> before the next release:
> - How are these wav files licensed? [8]
> - Looks like you make have a dependancy on a 4 clause BSD license. [9]
> That’s Category X and not allowed.
>
> BTW I would of voted -1 on this release as it contains compiled source
> code [1][2][3][4][5][6][7]

> 1 ./autoupdate.services/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/api/
> autoupdate/data/dummy-signed-twice.jar
> 2 ./autoupdate.services/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/api/
> autoupdate/data/dummy-signed.jar
> 3 ./classfile/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/modules/classfile/
> datafiles/WithLambda.classx
> 4 ./classfile/test/unit/src/regression/datafiles/left-square.class
> 5 ./classfile/test/unit/src/regression/datafiles/SwitchData.class
> 6 ./classfile/test/unit/src/regression/datafiles/test91098.class
> 7 ./nbi/engine/src/org/netbeans/installer/utils/applications/TestJDK.class
> 8 ./javafx2.samples/Xylophone/src/xylophone/Note?.wav
> 9 ./incubating-netbeans-java-9.0-beta-source.zip/
> spellchecker.dictionary_en/external/ispell-enwl-3.1.20-license.txt

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 9.0 Beta (incubating) rc3

Geertjan Wielenga
Here are the issues created as promised:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-305
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-410
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-411

Also tracked here: