[VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 10.0 (incubating) [vote candidate 5]

[VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 10.0 (incubating) [vote candidate 5]

Laszlo Kishalmi
Dear all,

The Apache NetBeans community has voted on and approved a proposal to
release Apache NetBeans 10.0 (incubating) [vc5].

We now kindly request that the Incubator PMC members review and vote on
this incubator release candidate.

1. Detained Wiki Page for this vote candidate:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/10.0-vc5

2. Apache NetBeans PPMC vote thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/a06ad60089470b0b52fe7e6f4c271d2fd1dcce722a5fe9b3aa008b3d@%3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E

Apache NetBeans PPMC vote result:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/305d657e57d04df3d4a13c76ab732e64ef72d107fe0f769d5f4bbd80@%3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E

One binding IPMC +1 vote, carried over to this IPMC vote thread:

  * Ate Douma (http://people.apache.org/phonebook.html?uid=ate)

13, +1 PPMC votes:

  * Jaroslav Tulach (http://people.apache.org/phonebook.html?uid=jtulach)
  * Geertjan Wielenga (http://people.apache.org/phonebook.html?uid=geertjan)
  * Jiří Kovalský (http://people.apache.org/phonebook.html?uid=jkovalsky)
  * Eric Barboni (http://people.apache.org/phonebook.html?uid=skygo)
  * John Brock (http://people.apache.org/phonebook.html?uid=peppertech)
  * Antonio Vieiro (http://people.apache.org/phonebook.html?uid=vieiro)
  * Neil C Smith (http://people.apache.org/phonebook.html?uid=neilcsmith)
  * John McDonnell
    (http://people.apache.org/phonebook.html?uid=johnmcdonnell)
  * Reema Taneja (http://people.apache.org/phonebook.html?uid=rtaneja)
  * Arunava Sinha (http://people.apache.org/phonebook.html?uid=arusinha)
  * Emilian Bold (http://people.apache.org/phonebook.html?uid=emi)
  * Josh Juneau (http://people.apache.org/phonebook.html?uid=javajuneau)
  * Junichi Yamamoto (http://people.apache.org/phonebook.html?uid=junichi11)

3. The specific artifact to be voted on:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/netbeans/incubating-netbeans/incubating-10.0-vc5/incubating-netbeans-10.0-vc5-source.zip
SHA512:
3181c7bedda08abee8af0d1aa5673518f48f8c2f7544260d8b6bfd87ed8dbafed9d12a46154d0095a93daba6f9b36a9ed1c52ecf14df9ab9697dd14eedbe1376

Included in the above are the DEPENDENCIES, DISCLAIMER, LICENSE, and
NOTICE files, as well as a README file with build instructions

KEYS file:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/netbeans/KEYS

Apache NetBeans Git Repo tag: 10.0-vc5 :
https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/tree/10.0-vc5

Note: NetBeans license violation checks are managed via the rat-exclusions.txt file:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/blob/10.0-vc5/nbbuild/rat-exclusions.txt

Rat report shows no unknown licenses, except for license files:

https://builds.apache.org/job/incubator-netbeans-release/380/artifact/rat-release-temp/nbbuild/build/rat-report.txt

Included as a convenience binary, not relevant for the voting purposes (unzip it, run it and you'll see Apache NetBeans):

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/netbeans/incubating-netbeans/incubating-10.0-vc5/incubating-netbeans-10.0-vc5-bin.zip

Release specific wiki page:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+10 How (and what) to try out the release:

1. Download the artifact to be voted on and unzip it.
2. Verify the cryptographic signatures, the NOTICE and LICENSE file
3. Build it using the README provided by the artifact.
4. Look in nbbuild/netbeans for the NetBeans installation created by the build process.
5. Run the NetBeans executable and (if you're running on JDK 8) you'll be prompted to install nb-javac, after agreeing to its licensing terms, and (if you're running on JDK 9+), you'll be able to use javac directly from JDK 9 and, optionally, you'll be prompted to install nb-javac, after agreeing to its licensing terms. As this is our first multi purpose (Java SE, PHP, JS, Groovy) release, some features has to be enabled in Tools > Plugins > Installed tab, or get's automatically enabled on first use of a feature.

If the above succeeds, i.e., Apache NetBeans installs and starts up vote +1 in this thread.

Please try out the package, using the instructions above, and vote!

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache NetBeans 10.0 (incubating)
[ ] 0 I don't feel strongly about it, but I'm okay with the release

Laszlo Kishalmi
Volunteer Release Manager of Apache NetBeans (incubating)10.0
on behalf on the Apache NetBeans PPMC

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 10.0 (incubating) [vote candidate 5]

+1 binding but I think there's a few issues that need to be addressed before for the next release.

I checked:
- incubating in name
- signature and hashes correct
- LICENSE is OK but you may not be complying with license terms as most require you to include the full text of the license when distributing any software that includes them.I’d suggest you  make a directory called licenses and place them then and provide a pointer from the LICENSE file.
- NOTICE is fine
- A large number of source files are missing headers (see below)
- No unexpected binary files but perhaps one that shouldn’t be in the release [3]
- I’m unable to compile on OSX but I’ll assume that’s just my set up

A large number of source files are missing ASF headers e.g. [1] [2] (and elsewhere) For might want to search for the text "To change this license header” and that find 300+ files. IMO this need to be fixed before the next release.

From a quick internet search you may not have permission to distribute these files [4], for instance it looks like some of them came from a professional photographer here. [5]. Do you have permission to use and distribute these files? (I may of asked this about a previous release?)

1.  ./groovy/groovy.editor/test/unit/data/**/*.groovy
2.  ./java/java.editor/test/**/*.java
3. ./profiler/lib.profiler/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/lib/profiler/heap/heap_dump.bin
4. ./webcommon/web.client.samples/EaselDemo/public_html/img/*
5. https://www.warrenphotographic.co.uk/10542-kitten-and-rabbit

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 10.0 (incubating) [vote candidate 5]

Mark Struberg-2

* sig fine
* hashes fine
* LICENSE, NOTICE fine