[VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.7.0.rc1

[VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.7.0.rc1

Chen, Ciyong
Dear community,

This is a call for a releasing Apache MXNet (incubating) 1.7.0, release
candidate 1.

Apache MXNet (incubating) community has voted and approved the release.

Vote thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r525a961a10f69bdfb255c64f0be0589bb70efdd880c1be87c81c0c06%40%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E

Result thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rbd53614ca01f714d00097a02d906895211336a14ce0e083865cf5144%40%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E

The source tarball, including signatures, digests, etc. can be found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/mxnet/1.7.0.rc1

The tag to be voted upon is 1.7.0.rc1:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/releases/tag/1.7.0.rc1

The release hash is 64f737cdd59fe88d2c5b479f25d011c5156b6a8a:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/commit/64f737cdd59fe88d2c5b479f25d011c5156b6a8a

KEYS file available:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/mxnet/KEYS

For information about the contents of this release, see:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/1.7.0+Release+Notes

The vote will be open for 72 hours.
[ ] +1 release this package as #########
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 do not release this package because...

Best regards,
Ciyong Chen

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.7.0.rc1

-1 (binding) as this release contains code that hasn’t gone though IP clearance (mshadow).

I checked:
- incubating in name
- disclaimer exists
- LICENSE and NOTICE have improved but I did not do an exhaustive check
-  No unexpected binary file
- ASF files have ASF headers
- unable to compile from source

It also seems that this code may have been released before the PPMC/IPMC vote is over see [1][2][3][4] There are also branding and trademark issue with this site [5] This is in addition to the issues previously noted with releases, branding and trademarks.[6]

1. https://sourceforge.net/projects/apache-mxnet.mirror/
2. https://repo.gradle.org/gradle/simple/repo/ai/djl/mxnet/mxnet-native-mkl/1.7.0-b/
3. https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/ai.djl.mxnet
4. https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&SeB=nd&K=mxnet&SB=v&SO=d&PP=50&do_Search=Go
5. https://djl.ai
6. https://jira.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-253

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.7.0.rc1

Sheng Zha-2
Hi Justin,

Thanks for voting. Here are some clarifications:
For mshadow, it is a third-party component that MXNet has been relying on
since the initial contribution to MXNet. It has been included in previous
releases since its category-A license allows us to do so. For this release,
we are still releasing it as a third-party module, as evidenced by the
content of our LICENSE file [1]. Releasing with mshadow as a third-party
component hasn't been an issue in our past releases, and I believe the
separate assimilation process of this project and the IP clearance should
not affect this release either.

For link 1. the sourceforge mirror, it's an automatic mirror of GitHub that
we have no control over [2]. Our release process generates a tag for our
release candidates which is automatically mirrored there. Their editors
pick popular projects for automatic mirroring. For example, see also the
RCs of skywalking [3].

For 2-5, DJL is a third-party project that depends on MXNet, not a
component of MXNet. We PPMC don't own or manage those artifacts. We will
track its trademark usage problem in our private list.

Finally, it would be great if you could help clarify what compilation
problem you had. Many people verified this artifact on the dev@ vote so
such an issue is a surprise to us.

Best,
Sheng

[1]
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/blob/1.7.0.rc1/LICENSE#L232-L234
[2]
https://sourceforge.net/mirror/apache-mxnet/activity/?page=0&limit=100#5f10277b87027aedf0d7c167
[3] https://sourceforge.net/projects/apache-skywalking.mirror/files/

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 6:28 PM Justin Mclean <[hidden email]>

> -1 (binding) as this release contains code that hasn’t gone though IP
> clearance (mshadow).
>
> I checked:
> - incubating in name
> - disclaimer exists
> - LICENSE and NOTICE have improved but I did not do an exhaustive check
> -  No unexpected binary file
> - ASF files have ASF headers
> - unable to compile from source
>
> It also seems that this code may have been released before the PPMC/IPMC
> vote is over see [1][2][3][4] There are also branding and trademark issue
> with this site [5] This is in addition to the issues previously noted with
> releases, branding and trademarks.[6]

> 1. https://sourceforge.net/projects/apache-mxnet.mirror/
> 2.
> https://repo.gradle.org/gradle/simple/repo/ai/djl/mxnet/mxnet-native-mkl/1.7.0-b/
> 3. https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/ai.djl.mxnet
> 4.
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&SeB=nd&K=mxnet&SB=v&SO=d&PP=50&do_Search=Go
> 5. https://djl.ai
> 6. https://jira.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-253

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.7.0.rc1

> For mshadow, it is a third-party component that MXNet has been relying on
> since the initial contribution to MXNet. It has been included in previous
> releases since its category-A license allows us to do so. For this release,
> we are still releasing it as a third-party module, as evidenced by the
> content of our LICENSE file [1].

The code has been donated via a software grant  [1] and the IP clearance process not followed. [2]

You'll note it states here [3] "No releases are possible until the provenance of all the code to be release has been clearly established and the relevant paperwork filed with Apache.” and "The Incubator PMC must approve the clearance."

> For 2-5, DJL is a third-party project that depends on MXNet, not a
> component of MXNet. We PPMC don't own or manage those artifacts.

Why are they distributing release candidates? This seems highly unusual. Are any members of the PPMC members are involved in this? I believe some of them are employed by this company.

> Finally, it would be great if you could help clarify what compilation
> problem you had.

I’m on OSX and don’t have gcc set up correctly, clang fails to compile as it encounters an unknown option. So it’s probably just my setup, however I’m not even sure of OSX is a supported platform.

The PPMC needs to be more active in sorting out its branding and trademark issues. [6] [7]

Here’s another branding/trademark issue [8] and anther [9] and another [10]. If I search for "MXNet" here [11] I get 30 hits and some issues. I believe your project has PPMC members from the companies listed here?

It needs to be 100% clear in all cases where this occurs that MXNet is an incubating Apache project and those releases are not Apache ones and in some case not under the Apache license. These 3rd party releases can’t be called MXNet [4] if there is any category X code inside them or they have licensing conditions that are not compatible with the Apache license. They they can only be called NXNet if they are based on released code, with nothing else added. [5]

1. https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rd9ff74896d1faca59b74ad45748bcfd417bec73de5ce43e57bd9dc98%40%3Cprivate.mxnet.apache.org%3E
2. https://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/
3. https://incubator.apache.org/guides/ip_clearance.html
4. https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#products
5. http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#compiled-packages
6. https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/responsibility
7. https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/responsibility#independent
8. https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/NVIDIA-MXNet-by-NVIDIA/B07KLFW54D
9. https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/prodview-yex2xx5kgdhea?qid=1595741035764&sr=0-1&ref_=srh_res_product_title
10. https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B07YW8HVLD?qid=1595741035764&sr=0-4&ref_=srh_res_product_title
11. https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/search/results?x=0&y=0&searchTerms=%22MXNet

RE: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.7.0.rc1

Chen, Ciyong
Hi Justin,

Thanks for your time to review and vote on this release.

It seems that most of the concerns are branding/trademark/legal issues from those third-party projects which relies on MXNet and the AWS marketplace (or MXNet's downstream projects), which could be tracked separately and improved continually to 100% meet the requirement of incubating Apache project, so probably not affect this source release and can be addressed later.

For mshadow, I'm wondering if completing the IP clearance process is the only mandatory requirement for this source code release, then we might need to hold on the current release process until it's finished, or we can address all these concerns step by step as the MXNet project evolving and move forward with the current release?
Thanks!

Regards,
Ciyong

> [...]

8. https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/NVIDIA-MXNet-by-NVIDIA/B07KLFW54D
9. https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/prodview-yex2xx5kgdhea?qid=1595741035764&sr=0-1&ref_=srh_res_product_title
10. https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B07YW8HVLD?qid=1595741035764&sr=0-4&ref_=srh_res_product_title
11. https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/search/results?x=0&y=0&searchTerms=%22MXNet

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.7.0.rc1

> It seems that most of the concerns are branding/trademark/legal issues from those third-party projects which relies on MXNet and the AWS marketplace (or MXNet's downstream projects), which could be tracked separately and improved continually to 100% meet the requirement of incubating Apache project, so probably not affect this source release and can be addressed later.

It’s not seperate as you release candidates being distributed to users. I still want to know why release candidates are being released in this way, in particular by companies where there are MXnet PPMC members. What steps will the PPMC will take to stop this from happening in the future?

> For mshadow, I'm wondering if completing the IP clearance process is the only mandatory requirement for this source code release, then we might need to hold on the current release process until it's finished

It will need to be completed before this can be released.

RE: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.7.0.rc1

Chen, Ciyong
Hi Justin,

Thanks for your valuable inputs, then I will hold on the current rc1 release and continue the rest of release process (vote on general) when the issues are addressed.

Thanks,
Ciyong

> It seems that most of the concerns are branding/trademark/legal issues from those third-party projects which relies on MXNet and the AWS marketplace (or MXNet's downstream projects), which could be tracked separately and improved continually to 100% meet the requirement of incubating Apache project, so probably not affect this source release and can be addressed later.

It’s not seperate as you release candidates being distributed to users. I still want to know why release candidates are being released in this way, in particular by companies where there are MXnet PPMC members. What steps will the PPMC will take to stop this from happening in the future?

> For mshadow, I'm wondering if completing the IP clearance process is the only mandatory requirement for this source code release, then we might need to hold on the current release process until it's finished

It will need to be completed before this can be released.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.7.0.rc1

Sheng Zha-2
Hi Justin,

> It’s not seperate as you release candidates being distributed to users. I
still want to know why release candidates are being released in this way,
in particular by companies where there are MXnet PPMC members. What steps
will the PPMC will take to stop this from happening in the future?

Again, we are NOT releasing release candidates. DJL is not MXNet, and it
does not represent MXNet. Even though it's from my day job employer and I'm
a PPMC member, whoever took the action doesn't represent me or the PPMC. I
also want to know why it was released like that. Here are the steps I'm
taking on behalf of the PPMC on this:
- As DJL was developed by a separate team as a separate project, I first
reached out to them through an internal channel and clarified the
requirement for using the name mxnet in their releases. Either they or I
will provide an update on the resolution.
- We will include a branding and trademark usage guideline page on mxnet
website.
- We will conduct a review of trademark usage as part of our board
reporting process.

Feel free to advise appropriate additional steps.

> Here’s another branding/trademark issue [8] and anther [9] and another
[10]. If I search for "MXNet" here [11] I get 30 hits and some issues. I
believe your project has PPMC members from the companies listed here?

Yes, there are PPMC members that are employed by this company, including
me. I'm starting a thread with the PPMC on the project private list for
resolving the issues on the marketplace website. Bear in mind that any
entity can list items on such a site, and they do not represent either the
PPMC or the company that runs it, just like google search results don't
represent the google employees.

> I’m on OSX and don’t have gcc set up correctly, clang fails to compile as
it encounters an unknown option. So it’s probably just my setup, however
I’m not even sure of OSX is a supported platform.

OSX compilation config and steps can be found in
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/blob/v1.x/config/darwin.cmake#L18-L34.
We are improving our installation guide to make it easier to discover.

Regards,
Sheng

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 5:19 PM Justin Mclean <[hidden email]>

> > It seems that most of the concerns are branding/trademark/legal issues
> from those third-party projects which relies on MXNet and the AWS
> marketplace (or MXNet's downstream projects), which could be tracked
> separately and improved continually to 100% meet the requirement of
> incubating Apache project, so probably not affect this source release and
> can be addressed later.
>
> It’s not seperate as you release candidates being distributed to users. I
> still want to know why release candidates are being released in this way,
> in particular by companies where there are MXnet PPMC members. What steps
> will the PPMC will take to stop this from happening in the future?
>
> > For mshadow, I'm wondering if completing the IP clearance process is the
> only mandatory requirement for this source code release, then we might need
> to hold on the current release process until it's finished
>
> It will need to be completed before this can be released.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.7.0.rc1

Justin Mclean-4
Hi,

> Again, we are NOT releasing release candidates.

No but companies that your PPMC members are employed by are.

Those PPMC members are in a good position to make sure their employers are aware of and follow ASF policies where needed. It's part of a (P)PMC duties to make sure branding, releases and trademarks are correctly followed. [1] At the very least these PPMC members should be bringing it to the attention of the PPMC for discussion on what to do. Ideally the companies involved should be going to the PPMC to ask for feedback or review on this sort of content and releases.

Having un-voted on release candidates been made available to the general public with the projects name on it is problematic in a number of ways.

> - We will include a branding and trademark usage guideline page on mxnet
> website.

That would be help. You can also just refer people to existing ASF policies.

> - We will conduct a review of trademark usage as part of our board
> reporting process.

As there are now several outstanding trademarks issue that would be appreciated. The original issue the board brought to the incubator attention still has not been fully addressed. You next report is not due for a few months, however you are welcome to make an out of band report. Either way I'll need some information to include in the next incubator report due in a week or so.

1. https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/responsibility.html

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.7.0.rc1

Qing Lan
Hi Justin,

I am here to response the issues you mentioned in [2] [3] and [5].

For [2] and [5], I monitored the DJL project that addressed the folliowing:

  1.  Change all MXNet to Apache MXNet (incubating) from documentation where it necessary
  2.  Change maven package description ” MXNet Engine Adapter for DJL” to  "Deep Java Library (DJL) Engine Adapter for Apache MXNet" for clarification
  3.  Other necessary changes to address the concerns

For [3], this package contains no source code from Apache MXNet and only contains the binary that built from source through the Apache MXNet source code without modification. It also brought necessary License and binary attribution from Apache MXNet. Hope this can help unblock Apache MXNet release.

Thanks,
Qing

________________________________

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.7.0.rc1

>  1.  Change all MXNet to Apache MXNet (incubating) from documentation where it necessary
>  2.  Change maven package description ” MXNet Engine Adapter for DJL” to  "Deep Java Library (DJL) Engine Adapter for Apache MXNet" for clarification

Thanks for doing that. ASF generally prefers “powdered by” so I would double check with trademarks ([hidden email]) if this is acceptable use. [1]

> For [3], this package contains no source code from Apache MXNet and only contains the binary that built from source through the Apache MXNet source code without modification. It also brought necessary License and binary attribution from Apache MXNet.

I still have some concerns here’s for instance is a page [2] that says:
        • The binaries are built from source from Apache MXNet without modification.
        • The binaries are obtained from the Apache MXNet python pip wheel.

The issue here is those pip “releases" contain unreleased versions of Apache MxNet [2] and probably should not have been released by the MXNet project and shouldn’t be used by the general public. [4] ("must not be distributed through channels which encourage use by anyone outside the project development community”)

There is currently a draft policy on downstream distribution [5] but I don’t think it covers this situation. Now I would agree that the ALv2 allow you to use Apache MXNet code, even if it is unreleased, but I’m not sure if you can say the the resulting product is “for MXNet". That may be need a discussion on the [hidden email] or [hidden email] lists.

And to be clear this is not really a DJL issue at this point, it's more an issue for the PPMC of MXNet to sort out.

1. https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#products
2. https://djl.ai/mxnet/native/
3. https://pypi.org/project/mxnet/#history
4. https://infra.apache.org/release-distribution#unreleased
5. http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/downstream.html

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.7.0.rc1

Dave Fisher-2
Hi -

Sent from my iPhone

That’s “Powered by”, but “for” can also be acceptable. Agreed that trademark@ is the place for the PPMC to ask.

>> For [3], this package contains no source code from Apache MXNet and only contains the binary that built from source through the Apache MXNet source code without modification. It also brought necessary License and binary attribution from Apache MXNet.
>
> I still have some concerns here’s for instance is a page [2] that says:
>    • The binaries are built from source from Apache MXNet without modification.
>    • The binaries are obtained from the Apache MXNet python pip wheel.
>
> The issue here is those pip “releases" contain unreleased versions of Apache MxNet [2] and probably should not have been released by the MXNet project and shouldn’t be used by the general public. [4] ("must not be distributed through channels which encourage use by anyone outside the project development community”)
>
> There is currently a draft policy on downstream distribution [5] but I don’t think it covers this situation. Now I would agree that the ALv2 allow you to use Apache MXNet code, even if it is unreleased, but I’m not sure if you can say the the resulting product is “for MXNet". That may be need a discussion on the [hidden email] or [hidden email] lists.
>
> And to be clear this is not really a DJL issue at this point, it's more an issue for the PPMC of MXNet to sort out.

> 1. https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#products
> 2. https://djl.ai/mxnet/native/
> 3. https://pypi.org/project/mxnet/#history
> 4. https://infra.apache.org/release-distribution#unreleased
> 5. http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/downstream.html

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.7.0.rc1

David Nalley
On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 11:01 PM Justin Mclean <[hidden email]>

> >  1.  Change all MXNet to Apache MXNet (incubating) from documentation
> where it necessary
> >  2.  Change maven package description ” MXNet Engine Adapter for DJL”
> to  "Deep Java Library (DJL) Engine Adapter for Apache MXNet" for
> clarification
>
> Thanks for doing that. ASF generally prefers “powdered by” so I would
> double check with trademarks ([hidden email]) if this is acceptable use.
> [1]

The brand management committee has no issue with "Deep Java Library (DJL)
Engine Adapter for Apache MXnet" as it's nominative use[1] and has been
documented as such.

[1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs#other

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.7.0.rc1

Sheng Zha-2
Hi,

Since the IP clearance for MShadow has passed [1] and third-party release
issues are either resolved or tracked in INCUBATOR-253, let's resume this
vote.

Here's my +1 carried from vote on dev@ [2].

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rd6ad9de26c0f523db4264e2fe46b0db5e5ad6c5f614b7152352161ab%40%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E
[2]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r28fbcad28a0a29c1b40edf4d3898d09946801b663cf103ad59a9bce2%40%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 8:55 PM David Nalley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 11:01 PM Justin Mclean <[hidden email]>

> > >  1.  Change all MXNet to Apache MXNet (incubating) from documentation
> > where it necessary
> > >  2.  Change maven package description ” MXNet Engine Adapter for DJL”
> > to  "Deep Java Library (DJL) Engine Adapter for Apache MXNet" for
> > clarification
> >
> > Thanks for doing that. ASF generally prefers “powdered by” so I would
> > double check with trademarks ([hidden email]) if this is acceptable use.
> > [1]
> >

> The brand management committee has no issue with "Deep Java Library (DJL)
> Engine Adapter for Apache MXnet" as it's nominative use[1] and has been
> documented as such.
>

> [1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs#other

RE: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.7.0.rc1

Chen, Ciyong
Thank you Sheng and all for removing the blocker for the release.

Dear Community,

As the vote is resumed, please take your time to verify and vote on the upcoming release for Apache MXNet(incubating).
I copied the content from the original vote mail for your reference.

This is a call for a releasing Apache MXNet (incubating) 1.7.0, release candidate 1.

Apache MXNet (incubating) community has voted and approved the release.

Vote thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r525a961a10f69bdfb255c64f0be0589bb70efdd880c1be87c81c0c06%40%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E

Result thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rbd53614ca01f714d00097a02d906895211336a14ce0e083865cf5144%40%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E

The source tarball, including signatures, digests, etc. can be found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/mxnet/1.7.0.rc1

The tag to be voted upon is 1.7.0.rc1:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/releases/tag/1.7.0.rc1

The release hash is 64f737cdd59fe88d2c5b479f25d011c5156b6a8a:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/commit/64f737cdd59fe88d2c5b479f25d011c5156b6a8a

KEYS file available:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/mxnet/KEYS

For information about the contents of this release, see:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/1.7.0+Release+Notes

The vote will be open for 72 hours.
[ ] +1 release this package as ######### [ ] +0 no opinion [ ] -1 do not release this package because...

Best regards,
Ciyong Chen

Since the IP clearance for MShadow has passed [1] and third-party release issues are either resolved or tracked in INCUBATOR-253, let's resume this vote.

Here's my +1 carried from vote on dev@ [2].

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rd6ad9de26c0f523db4264e2fe46b0db5e5ad6c5f614b7152352161ab%40%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E
[2]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r28fbcad28a0a29c1b40edf4d3898d09946801b663cf103ad59a9bce2%40%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 8:55 PM David Nalley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 11:01 PM Justin Mclean
> <[hidden email]>

> > >  1.  Change all MXNet to Apache MXNet (incubating) from
> > > documentation
> > where it necessary
> > >  2.  Change maven package description ” MXNet Engine Adapter for DJL”
> > to  "Deep Java Library (DJL) Engine Adapter for Apache MXNet" for
> > clarification
> >
> > Thanks for doing that. ASF generally prefers “powdered by” so I
> > would double check with trademarks ([hidden email]) if this is acceptable use.
> > [1]
> >

> The brand management committee has no issue with "Deep Java Library
> (DJL) Engine Adapter for Apache MXnet" as it's nominative use[1] and
> has been documented as such.
>

> [1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs#other

Re: RE: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.7.0.rc1

Sheng Zha
+1 carried from vote on dev@ [1].

-sz

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r28fbcad28a0a29c1b40edf4d3898d09946801b663cf103ad59a9bce2%40%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E

On 2020/08/11 05:21:39, "Chen, Ciyong" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you Sheng and all for removing the blocker for the release.
>
> Dear Community,
>
> As the vote is resumed, please take your time to verify and vote on the upcoming release for Apache MXNet(incubating).
> I copied the content from the original vote mail for your reference.
>
> This is a call for a releasing Apache MXNet (incubating) 1.7.0, release candidate 1.
>
> Apache MXNet (incubating) community has voted and approved the release.
>
> Vote thread:
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r525a961a10f69bdfb255c64f0be0589bb70efdd880c1be87c81c0c06%40%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E
>
> Result thread:
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rbd53614ca01f714d00097a02d906895211336a14ce0e083865cf5144%40%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E
>
> The source tarball, including signatures, digests, etc. can be found at:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/mxnet/1.7.0.rc1
>
> The tag to be voted upon is 1.7.0.rc1:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/releases/tag/1.7.0.rc1
>
> The release hash is 64f737cdd59fe88d2c5b479f25d011c5156b6a8a:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/commit/64f737cdd59fe88d2c5b479f25d011c5156b6a8a
>
> KEYS file available:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/mxnet/KEYS
>
> For information about the contents of this release, see:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/1.7.0+Release+Notes
>
> The vote will be open for 72 hours.
> [ ] +1 release this package as ######### [ ] +0 no opinion [ ] -1 do not release this package because...
>
> Best regards,
> Ciyong Chen

Hello community and IPMC,

We're pending on the binding votes to move forward, appreciated if anyone could help on this release. Thanks!

Regards,
Ciyong

On 2020/08/11 05:21:39, "Chen, Ciyong" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you Sheng and all for removing the blocker for the release.
>
> Dear Community,
>
> As the vote is resumed, please take your time to verify and vote on the upcoming release for Apache MXNet(incubating).
> I copied the content from the original vote mail for your reference.
>
> This is a call for a releasing Apache MXNet (incubating) 1.7.0, release candidate 1.
>
> Apache MXNet (incubating) community has voted and approved the release.
>
> Vote thread:
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r525a961a10f69bdfb255c64f0be0589b
> b70efdd880c1be87c81c0c06%40%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E
>
> Result thread:
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rbd53614ca01f714d00097a02d9068952
> 11336a14ce0e083865cf5144%40%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E
>
> The source tarball, including signatures, digests, etc. can be found at:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/mxnet/1.7.0.rc1
>
> The tag to be voted upon is 1.7.0.rc1:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/releases/tag/1.7.0.rc1
>
> The release hash is 64f737cdd59fe88d2c5b479f25d011c5156b6a8a:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/commit/64f737cdd59fe88d2c5b4
> 79f25d011c5156b6a8a
>
> KEYS file available:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/mxnet/KEYS
>
> For information about the contents of this release, see:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/1.7.0+Release+Notes
>
> The vote will be open for 72 hours.
> [ ] +1 release this package as ######### [ ] +0 no opinion [ ] -1 do not release this package because...
>
> Best regards,
> Ciyong Chen

Since the blocking issue has been resolved, would you mind changing your vote? Thanks.

Regards,
Sheng

On 2020/07/26 01:27:39, Justin Mclean <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> -1 (binding) as this release contains code that hasn’t gone though IP clearance (mshadow).
>
> I checked:
> - incubating in name
> - disclaimer exists
> - LICENSE and NOTICE have improved but I did not do an exhaustive check
> -  No unexpected binary file
> - ASF files have ASF headers
> - unable to compile from source
>
> It also seems that this code may have been released before the PPMC/IPMC vote is over see [1][2][3][4] There are also branding and trademark issue with this site [5] This is in addition to the issues previously noted with releases, branding and trademarks.[6]

> 1. https://sourceforge.net/projects/apache-mxnet.mirror/
> 2. https://repo.gradle.org/gradle/simple/repo/ai/djl/mxnet/mxnet-native-mkl/1.7.0-b/
> 3. https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/ai.djl.mxnet
> 4. https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&SeB=nd&K=mxnet&SB=v&SO=d&PP=50&do_Search=Go
> 5. https://djl.ai
> 6. https://jira.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-253

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.7.0.rc1

Michael Wall
+1 from me

Checked
- signatures
- incubating in name
- License, Notice and Disclaimer
- Compiled from source with CPP bindings using
https://mxnet.apache.org/versions/1.6/get_started/build_from_source#install-mxnet-for-python,
https://mxnet.apache.org/versions/1.6/get_started/cpp_setup and
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/blob/1.7.0.rc1/config/linux.cmake

Couple of questions
- Does anything with mshadow need to change now that it has passed clearance.
- I tried running tests a couple of ways after the build I build but
they just hung for 15 min before I control-c'd them.  Maybe I didn't
wait long enough, but there was no indication anything was running.

Here is the run

```
[0/1] Running tests...
Test project /home/mikewall/Desktop/mxnet-1.7.0/apache-mxnet-src-1.7.0.rc1-incubating/build
    Start 1: AllTestsInmxnetUnitTests
^Cninja: build stopped: interrupted by user.
```

And here is my history fwiw

```
sudo apt-get install -y build-essential git ninja-build ccache
libopenblas-dev libopencv-dev
cp config/linux.cmake config.cmake
rm -rf build
cmake -S. -Bbuild -DUSE_CPP_PACKAGE=1 -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -GNinja
cmake --build build
cmake --build build --target test
cd build && ctest -vv
```

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 2:27 PM Sheng Zha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Justin,
>
> Since the blocking issue has been resolved, would you mind changing your vote? Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Sheng
>
> On 2020/07/26 01:27:39, Justin Mclean <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > -1 (binding) as this release contains code that hasn’t gone though IP clearance (mshadow).
> >
> > I checked:
> > - incubating in name
> > - disclaimer exists
> > - LICENSE and NOTICE have improved but I did not do an exhaustive check
> > -  No unexpected binary file
> > - ASF files have ASF headers
> > - unable to compile from source
> >
> > It also seems that this code may have been released before the PPMC/IPMC vote is over see [1][2][3][4] There are also branding and trademark issue with this site [5] This is in addition to the issues previously noted with releases, branding and trademarks.[6]
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Justin
> >

> > 1. https://sourceforge.net/projects/apache-mxnet.mirror/
> > 2. https://repo.gradle.org/gradle/simple/repo/ai/djl/mxnet/mxnet-native-mkl/1.7.0-b/
> > 3. https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/ai.djl.mxnet
> > 4. https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&SeB=nd&K=mxnet&SB=v&SO=d&PP=50&do_Search=Go
> > 5. https://djl.ai
> > 6. https://jira.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-253

RE: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.7.0.rc1

Chen, Ciyong
Hi Michael,

Thank you for your time to review and vote.

Regarding your questions:
From source code release perspective, I don't think there's anything we need to change as mshadow is already in the code base with the correct license header. CC @Sheng to see if any comments.

> - I tried running tests a couple of ways after the build I build but they just hung for 15 min before I control-c'd them.  Maybe I didn't wait long enough, but there was no indication anything was running.
The test suite contains lots of test cases which will be very time consuming, " ctest -vv" doesn't enable the verbose output thus looks like it hung as no output on the terminal.
By using "ctest --verbose" which turns on the verbose and will give more details for all the test cases.
Currently, the entire test suite will run through many different configurations of hardware and docker image via CI pipeline.

Thanks,
-Ciyong