[VOTE] Release Apache Dubbo (Incubating) 2.6.3 [RC5]

[VOTE] Release Apache Dubbo (Incubating) 2.6.3 [RC5]

Jun Liu
Hello All,

This is a call for vote to release Apache Dubbo (Incubating) version 2.6.3.

The Apache Dubbo community has voted on and approved a proposal to release Apache Dubbo (Incubating) version 2.6.3.

We now kindly request the Incubator PMC members review and vote on this incubator release.

Apache Dubbo™ (incubating) is a high-performance, java based, open source RPC framework. Dubbo offers three key functionalities, which include interface based remote call, fault tolerance & load balancing, and automatic service registration & discovery.

Dubbo community vote and result thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/fdbb88c98d149c7bcefe9709316350c1d1f95463fad3e6148c63c05d@%3Cdev.dubbo.apache.org%3E

The release candidates:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/dubbo/2.6.3

Git tag for the release:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/tree/dubbo-2.6.3

Hash for the release tag:
6ce7b11f982c5f7beb2ac5897fb33d48da357ada

Release Notes:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/blob/dubbo-2.6.3/CHANGES.md

The artifacts have been signed with Key : 28681CB1, which can be found in the keys file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/dubbo/KEYS

Look at here for how to verify this release candidate:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo-website/blob/asf-site/blog/en-us/prepare-an-apache-release.md#prepare-apache-release

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours or until necessary number of votes are reached.

Please vote accordingly:
[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove with the reason

Best regards,
Jun

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Dubbo (Incubating) 2.6.3 [RC5]

Huxing Zhang
+1 (non-binding)

* Signatures ok for both source and binary.
* DISCLAIMER, LICENSE and NOTICE ok for both source and binary.
* No SNAPSHOT in source file name or content.
* Unit test passed on Java 8, although still have some unstable UT.

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Dubbo (Incubating) 2.6.3 [RC5]

+1 binding

I checked:
- incubating in name
- signatures and hashes correct
- DISCLAIMER exits
- LICENSE is fine
- NOTICE may need a little more work (as it is bundling a couple of file from ALv2 license software with NOTICE files) [1]
- No binary files in release
- All source files have ASF headers
- Can compile from source

Re the NOTICE issue I’ll bring it up on the Dubbo dev list. As only a couple of files have been “borrowed” the additions to the NOTICE should be simple and straight forward.

1.http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#mod-notice

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Dubbo (Incubating) 2.6.3 [RC5]

Huxing Zhang
Hi,

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 5:02 PM Justin Mclean <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> +1 binding
>
> I checked:
> - incubating in name
> - signatures and hashes correct
> - DISCLAIMER exits
> - LICENSE is fine
> - NOTICE may need a little more work (as it is bundling a couple of file from ALv2 license software with NOTICE files) [1]
> - No binary files in release
> - All source files have ASF headers
> - Can compile from source
>
> Re the NOTICE issue I’ll bring it up on the Dubbo dev list. As only a couple of files have been “borrowed” the additions to the NOTICE should be simple and straight forward.

How about adding the following lines:

This product contains code derived from Google Guava project, which is
available under a "Apache License 2.0" license.
(https://github.com/google/guava).

This product contains code derived from the Netty Project, which is
available under a "Apache License 2.0" license.
(https://github.com/netty/netty)

> 1.http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#mod-notice

Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Dubbo (Incubating) 2.6.3 [RC5]

> This product contains code derived from Google Guava project, which is
> available under a "Apache License 2.0" license.
> (https://github.com/google/guava <https://github.com/google/guava>).
>
> This product contains code derived from the Netty Project, which is
> available under a "Apache License 2.0" license.
> (https://github.com/netty/netty <https://github.com/netty/netty>)

Yes but no :-) I bring it up on the dev list.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Dubbo (Incubating) 2.6.3 [RC5]

Mark Thomas
On 03/09/18 03:32, Jun Liu wrote:

<snip/>

> Please vote accordingly:
> [X] +1 approve
> [ ] +0 no opinion
> [ ] -1 disapprove with the reason

Notes:
======

Hash and signature match.

Source zip matches Git tag (apart from expected differences of
.gitignore and Maven wrapper)

Builds and all tests except one pass.

Issues from previous RC still present in this RC:

The sha512 hashes are missing the '*' marker that indicates they are
hashes for binary files rather than text files. Trivial issue. New RC
not required.

New issues
==========

Tests seem to expect 127.0.0.2 to be a valid IP. If this is the case,
consider documenting the requirements to run the tests somewhere obvious
in the source tree. Trivial issue. New RC not required.

I see the following test failures:
  Oracle Java 8 update 181
  Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS (fully patched)
  Maven 3.5.4

This fails consistently for me:
Test set: com.alibaba.dubbo.config.AbstractInterfaceConfigTest
Tests run: 38, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.119
sec <<< FAILURE! - in com.alibaba.dubbo.config.AbstractInterfaceConfigTest
checkApplication1(com.alibaba.dubbo.config.AbstractInterfaceConfigTest)
Time elapsed: 0.006 sec  <<< FAILURE!
junit.framework.ComparisonFailure: expected:<10[0]> but was:<10[]>
        at
com.alibaba.dubbo.config.AbstractInterfaceConfigTest.checkApplication1(AbstractInterfaceConfigTest.java:90)

I note that this test has been observed to fail for other community
members in earlier RCs.

I can recreate this failure on the command line but not in an IDE.

Whether this failure is significant enough to halt the release is
something for those more knowledgeable about Dubbo than I to decide.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Dubbo (Incubating) 2.6.3 [RC5]

Jerrick Zhu
On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 6:10 PM Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/09/18 03:32, Jun Liu wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
> > Please vote accordingly:
> > [X] +1 approve
> > [ ] +0 no opinion
> > [ ] -1 disapprove with the reason
>
> Notes:
> ======
>
> Hash and signature match.
>
> Source zip matches Git tag (apart from expected differences of
> .gitignore and Maven wrapper)
>
> Builds and all tests except one pass.
>

> Issues from previous RC still present in this RC:
>
> The sha512 hashes are missing the '*' marker that indicates they are
> hashes for binary files rather than text files. Trivial issue. New RC
> not required.
>

> New issues
> ==========
>
> Tests seem to expect 127.0.0.2 to be a valid IP. If this is the case,
> consider documenting the requirements to run the tests somewhere obvious
> in the source tree. Trivial issue. New RC not required.
>
> I see the following test failures:
>   Oracle Java 8 update 181
>   Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS (fully patched)
>   Maven 3.5.4
>
> This fails consistently for me:

> Test set: com.alibaba.dubbo.config.AbstractInterfaceConfigTest

> Tests run: 38, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.119
> sec <<< FAILURE! - in com.alibaba.dubbo.config.AbstractInterfaceConfigTest
> checkApplication1(com.alibaba.dubbo.config.AbstractInterfaceConfigTest)
> Time elapsed: 0.006 sec  <<< FAILURE!
> junit.framework.ComparisonFailure: expected:<10[0]> but was:<10[]>
>         at
>
> com.alibaba.dubbo.config.AbstractInterfaceConfigTest.checkApplication1(AbstractInterfaceConfigTest.java:90)
>
> I note that this test has been observed to fail for other community
> members in earlier RCs.

Yes, it's true, we've fixed it on 2.6.x branch, and will be in next
release, 2.6.4, but not in 2.6.3.

check the commit:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/commit/93d2eb674b094ee4feee0ef1e46096098c5a22b4

> I can recreate this failure on the command line but not in an IDE.
>
> Whether this failure is significant enough to halt the release is
> something for those more knowledgeable about Dubbo than I to decide.

This is the result of mutual influence of unit test cases, not the
functional problem. So IMO, this release could be go ahead. What do other
people think?

> Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Dubbo (Incubating) 2.6.3 [RC5]

Willem Jiang
I just checked the commit, it relates to system property setting, the
fix is quite simple.
I also checked the CI build, it looks like the CI is green[1]

But my question is this fix was merged into 2.6.x branch for three
weeks ago,  why didn't we do the cherry pick it into 2.6.3 release
branch last week?
In Apache projects we maintain 2~3 different branches at the same
time, cherry pick the fix acrocess different branches is a common
practice.
As someone already observered the test failure in earlier RC, we need
to put some efforts on it (issue tracking) to make sure we fix it in
the next RC.

I know Dubbo team takes almost 1 month to cut this round release,  but
it's like a pain of growing. ServiceComb took more than a month to cut
the first around release. We can do the release better if we learn
something from it.  Please revisit your release guide and checklist
again, and encourage community to vote -1 once he find something
wrong.

[1]https://travis-ci.org/apache/incubator-dubbo/builds/420912788

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem
On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 6:39 PM Jerrick Zhu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 6:10 PM Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 03/09/18 03:32, Jun Liu wrote:
> >
> > <snip/>
> >
> > > Please vote accordingly:
> > > [X] +1 approve
> > > [ ] +0 no opinion
> > > [ ] -1 disapprove with the reason
> >
> > Notes:
> > ======
> >
> > Hash and signature match.
> >
> > Source zip matches Git tag (apart from expected differences of
> > .gitignore and Maven wrapper)
> >
> > Builds and all tests except one pass.
> >

> > Issues from previous RC still present in this RC:
> >
> > The sha512 hashes are missing the '*' marker that indicates they are
> > hashes for binary files rather than text files. Trivial issue. New RC
> > not required.
> >

> > New issues
> > ==========
> >
> > Tests seem to expect 127.0.0.2 to be a valid IP. If this is the case,
> > consider documenting the requirements to run the tests somewhere obvious
> > in the source tree. Trivial issue. New RC not required.
> >
> > I see the following test failures:
> >   Oracle Java 8 update 181
> >   Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS (fully patched)
> >   Maven 3.5.4
> >
> > This fails consistently for me:

> > Test set: com.alibaba.dubbo.config.AbstractInterfaceConfigTest

> > Tests run: 38, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.119
> > sec <<< FAILURE! - in com.alibaba.dubbo.config.AbstractInterfaceConfigTest
> > checkApplication1(com.alibaba.dubbo.config.AbstractInterfaceConfigTest)
> > Time elapsed: 0.006 sec  <<< FAILURE!
> > junit.framework.ComparisonFailure: expected:<10[0]> but was:<10[]>
> >         at
> >
> > com.alibaba.dubbo.config.AbstractInterfaceConfigTest.checkApplication1(AbstractInterfaceConfigTest.java:90)
> >
> > I note that this test has been observed to fail for other community
> > members in earlier RCs.
> >

> Yes, it's true, we've fixed it on 2.6.x branch, and will be in next
> release, 2.6.4, but not in 2.6.3.
>
> check the commit:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/commit/93d2eb674b094ee4feee0ef1e46096098c5a22b4
>

> > I can recreate this failure on the command line but not in an IDE.
> >
> > Whether this failure is significant enough to halt the release is
> > something for those more knowledgeable about Dubbo than I to decide.
> >

> This is the result of mutual influence of unit test cases, not the
> functional problem. So IMO, this release could be go ahead. What do other
> people think?
>

> > Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Dubbo (Incubating) 2.6.3 [RC5]

jun liu-2
> Issues from previous RC still present in this RC:
>
> The sha512 hashes are missing the '*' marker that indicates they are
> hashes for binary files rather than text files. Trivial issue. New RC
> not required.

I have filed an issue[1] to track this problem though I have no idea how to address it now. I will com to the dev community later if I cannot solve it after looking up.

> New issues
> ==========
>
> Tests seem to expect 127.0.0.2 to be a valid IP. If this is the case,
> consider documenting the requirements to run the tests somewhere obvious
> in the source tree. Trivial issue. New RC not required.

Agree, it should be documented in the source tree[2].

> I see the following test failures:
>  Oracle Java 8 update 181
>  Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS (fully patched)
>  Maven 3.5.4
>
> This fails consistently for me:
> Test set: com.alibaba.dubbo.config.AbstractInterfaceConfigTest
> Tests run: 38, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.119
> sec <<< FAILURE! - in com.alibaba.dubbo.config.AbstractInterfaceConfigTest
> checkApplication1(com.alibaba.dubbo.config.AbstractInterfaceConfigTest)
> Time elapsed: 0.006 sec  <<< FAILURE!
> junit.framework.ComparisonFailure: expected:<10[0]> but was:<10[]>
> at
> com.alibaba.dubbo.config.AbstractInterfaceConfigTest.checkApplication1(AbstractInterfaceConfigTest.java:90)
>
> I note that this test has been observed to fail for other community
> members in earlier RCs.
>
> I can recreate this failure on the command line but not in an IDE.
>
> Whether this failure is significant enough to halt the release is
> something for those more knowledgeable about Dubbo than I to decide.

Sorry for confusing you and others with this issue[3], I have confirmed that it’s a bug of the UT itself, and I think we can fix it in the next release and continue with this release.

[1]. https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/issues/2459
[2]. https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/issues/2460
[3]. https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/issues/2461

Best regards,
Jun

> On 5 Sep 2018, at 18:09, Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 03/09/18 03:32, Jun Liu wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
>> Please vote accordingly:
>> [X] +1 approve
>> [ ] +0 no opinion
>> [ ] -1 disapprove with the reason
>
> Notes:
> ======
>
> Hash and signature match.
>
> Source zip matches Git tag (apart from expected differences of
> .gitignore and Maven wrapper)
>
> Builds and all tests except one pass.
>

> Issues from previous RC still present in this RC:
>
> The sha512 hashes are missing the '*' marker that indicates they are
> hashes for binary files rather than text files. Trivial issue. New RC
> not required.
>

> New issues
> ==========
>
> Tests seem to expect 127.0.0.2 to be a valid IP. If this is the case,
> consider documenting the requirements to run the tests somewhere obvious
> in the source tree. Trivial issue. New RC not required.
>
> I see the following test failures:
>  Oracle Java 8 update 181
>  Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS (fully patched)
>  Maven 3.5.4
>
> This fails consistently for me:
> Test set: com.alibaba.dubbo.config.AbstractInterfaceConfigTest
> Tests run: 38, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.119
> sec <<< FAILURE! - in com.alibaba.dubbo.config.AbstractInterfaceConfigTest
> checkApplication1(com.alibaba.dubbo.config.AbstractInterfaceConfigTest)
> Time elapsed: 0.006 sec  <<< FAILURE!
> junit.framework.ComparisonFailure: expected:<10[0]> but was:<10[]>
> at
> com.alibaba.dubbo.config.AbstractInterfaceConfigTest.checkApplication1(AbstractInterfaceConfigTest.java:90)
>
> I note that this test has been observed to fail for other community
> members in earlier RCs.
>
> I can recreate this failure on the command line but not in an IDE.
>
> Whether this failure is significant enough to halt the release is
> something for those more knowledgeable about Dubbo than I to decide.
>

> Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Dubbo (Incubating) 2.6.3 [RC5]

Jun Liu
> I just checked the commit, it relates to system property setting, the
> fix is quite simple.
> I also checked the CI build, it looks like the CI is green[1]
>
> But my question is this fix was merged into 2.6.x branch for three
> weeks ago,  why didn't we do the cherry pick it into 2.6.3 release
> branch last week?
> In Apache projects we maintain 2~3 different branches at the same
> time, cherry pick the fix acrocess different branches is a common
> practice.

Thanks for the constructive advice and I agree that check and synchronizing between different branches are one important aspect we should pay more attention to. I will bring this discussion to the dev community to attract more committer’s and contributor’s attention later.

For this specific issue, since it’s a known UT bug, I tend to fix it in the next release and continue with this RC vote.

Saying about UT, I’d like to discuss a little bit more about it here: currently, we have some UTs (3-4 as I know) that are not stable enough themselves, which means they cannot verify features as expected or they may sometimes mis-warn us with failures limited to their own bad logic, and even worse over time, we may be less alert to UT failures. I would suggest we fix these unstable UTs as soon as possible, or at least, if they are not on the schedule now, we should list all these unstable UTs and the possible failures and reasons for failure to reduce the confusion of developers and verifiers.

> I know Dubbo team takes almost 1 month to cut this round release,  but
> it's like a pain of growing. ServiceComb took more than a month to cut
> the first around release. We can do the release better if we learn
> something from it.  Please revisit your release guide and checklist
> again, and encourage community to vote -1 once he find something
> wrong.

The first release was relatively smooth. But in this release, with all the problems encountered, we have learned that there’re still some things lacking in the community to guarantee regular Apache releases with high quality and efficiency. The Dubbo community has worked on with the following aspects to improve that:
* How to prepare an Apache release [1].
* The checklist for release candidate [1].
* Release script to automate the release process [2].

[1]. http://dubbo.apache.org/en-us/blog/prepare-an-apache-release.html
[2]. https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/blob/2.6.x/release.sh

Best regards,
Jun

> [...]
>>>
>>> I note that this test has been observed to fail for other community
>>> members in earlier RCs.
>>>

>> Yes, it's true, we've fixed it on 2.6.x branch, and will be in next
>> release, 2.6.4, but not in 2.6.3.
>>
>> check the commit:
>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/commit/93d2eb674b094ee4feee0ef1e46096098c5a22b4
>>

>>> I can recreate this failure on the command line but not in an IDE.
>>>
>>> Whether this failure is significant enough to halt the release is
>>> something for those more knowledgeable about Dubbo than I to decide.
>>>

>> This is the result of mutual influence of unit test cases, not the
>> functional problem. So IMO, this release could be go ahead. What do other
>> people think?
>>

>>> Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Dubbo (Incubating) 2.6.3 [RC5]

Hi community,

We have 2 binding votes, still need one vote to pass.

Would you please kindly help to check and vote for it?

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Dubbo (Incubating) 2.6.3 [RC5]

Willem Jiang
Sorry, I just got some time back to this thread.
I just went through the dev discussion of the dubbo and found out
dubbo community are planning the next release cut by discussion the
bug fix list first.  I'm sure we could do it better in the next
release.

Here are my +1 for this vote.
I can build the code from source.
The artifacts were signed with right key.

For the UT test error, is only related to system property setting
which will not effect the end user.
Just a quick note for binary release,  it only includes the dubbo
jars. It could be more convenience for the end user if we can include
the third party dependencies jars in the binary release.

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem
On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 9:57 AM Jun Liu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > [1]https://travis-ci.org/apache/incubator-dubbo/builds/420912788
> >
> > Willem Jiang
> >
> > Twitter: willemjiang
> > Weibo: 姜宁willem

> >> Yes, it's true, we've fixed it on 2.6.x branch, and will be in next
> >> release, 2.6.4, but not in 2.6.3.
> >>
> >> check the commit:
> >> https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/commit/93d2eb674b094ee4feee0ef1e46096098c5a22b4

> >> This is the result of mutual influence of unit test cases, not the
> >> functional problem. So IMO, this release could be go ahead. What do other
> >> people think?

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Dubbo (Incubating) 2.6.3 [RC5]

Jun Liu
> Just a quick note for binary release,  it only includes the dubbo
> jars. It could be more convenience for the end user if we can include
> the third party dependencies jars in the binary release.

Yes, this is a point that I have seen some people have also put out in the community, but sadly, there’s still no progress now. I will file an issue to track it later.

BTW, the vote has lasted for 72+ hours and we have received 3 +1(binding) votes. I will announce the pass of this vote in a new email and continue to release.

Best regards,
Jun