[VOTE] Release Apache Druid (incubating) 0.13.0 [RC4]

[VOTE] Release Apache Druid (incubating) 0.13.0 [RC4]

David Lim
Hi IPMC,

The Apache Druid community has voted on and approved a proposal to release
Apache Druid (incubating) 0.13.0 (rc4).

We now kindly request the Incubator PMC members review and vote on this
incubator release.

Project description: Apache Druid (incubating) is a high-performance,
column-oriented, distributed data store.

The community voting thread can be found here:
https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@.../msg01489.html

The release notes are available here:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-druid/issues/6442

The release candidate has been tagged in GitHub as
druid-0.13.0-incubating-rc4 (cf15aac), available here:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-druid/releases/tag/druid-0.13.0-incubating-rc4

The artifacts to be voted on are located here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/druid/0.13.0-incubating-rc4

A staged Maven repository is available for review at:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedruid-1002/

Release artifacts are signed with the key [7183DE56]:
https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/davidlim.asc (also available here:
http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?search=davidlim%40apache.org&op=index)

This key and the key of other committers can also be found in the project's
KEYS file here: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/druid/KEYS

As part of the validation process, the binary release artifacts can be
generated from source by running: mvn clean install
-Papache-release,dist,rat

This vote will be open for at least 72 hours. The vote will pass if a
majority of at least three +1 IPMC votes are cast.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Druid (incubating) 0.13.0
[ ]  0 I don't feel strongly about it, but I'm okay with the release

Thank you IPMC! We appreciate your efforts in helping the Apache Druid
community to validate this release.

On behalf of the Apache Druid PPMC,
David

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Druid (incubating) 0.13.0 [RC4]

+1 (binding) but there's a number of things to fix for the next release.

I checked:
- incubating in name
- DISCLAIMER exists
- LICENSE and notice need more work (see below)
- All ASF source files have ASF like headers (but not quite the correct text - see below)
- No unexpected binary files

LICENSE needs to list any licenses of bundled software it includes, currently it lists none. NOTICE should not list license information and is only reserved for certain things.(e.g relocated copyrights, content from other ASF notices files). Please speak to your mentors on how to assemble these files, [1] if it wasn’t your first release I would probably vote -1 on this.

I would expect LICENSE to mention:
- jquery-1.11.0.min.js
- jquery-ui-1.9.2.js
- underscore-1.2.2.js
- jquery.dataTables-1.8.2.js
- these 3 files [4][5][6]
- these 2 files [7][8]
- this file [9]

I also a little concerned by this file [2] as it mentions thing that should not be in a source releases. (i.e. CDDL and EPL licensed things).

Should this file [3] have an ASF header given it looks like public domain? either way it also should be in LICENSE.

With headers I can see 4000+ instances of this:
“The ASF licenses this file to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the License”);"
And 80 odd of:
"The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0 the “License”);”

Neither of which isn’t quite right, ie You vs you and the missing bracket and missing quote. Probably a search replace went off-piste?

The correct header has:
"The ASF licenses this file to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); “

I also note that a “mvn -DskipTests=true compile” will fail, but I was able to compile.

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html
2. apache-druid-0.13.0-incubating-src/examples/quickstart/tutorial/hadoop/docker/LICENSE
3. apache-druid-0.13.0-incubating-src/processing/src/main/java/org/apache/druid/query/groupby/epinephelinae/Groupers.java
4. apache-druid-0.13.0-incubating-src/extendedset/src/main/java/org/apache/druid/extendedset/intset/AbstractIntSet.java
5. apache-druid-0.13.0-incubating-src/extendedset/src/main/java/org/apache/druid/extendedset/intset/ConciseSet.java
6. apache-druid-0.13.0-incubating-src/extendedset/src/main/java/org/apache/druid/extendedset/intset/IntSet.java
7. apache-druid-0.13.0-incubating-src/extendedset/src/main/java/org/apache/druid/extendedset/intset/ConciseSetUtils.java
8. apache-druid-0.13.0-incubating-src/extendedset/src/main/java/org/apache/druid/extendedset/utilities/IntList.java
9. apache-druid-0.13.0-incubating-src/server/src/main/resources/static/old-console/css/demo_table.css

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Druid (incubating) 0.13.0 [RC4]

Dave Meikle

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 at 02:27, David Lim <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi IPMC,
>
> The Apache Druid community has voted on and approved a proposal to release
> Apache Druid (incubating) 0.13.0 (rc4).
>
> We now kindly request the Incubator PMC members review and vote on this
> incubator release.
>
> The release candidate has been tagged in GitHub as
> druid-0.13.0-incubating-rc4 (cf15aac), available here:
>
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-druid/releases/tag/druid-0.13.0-incubating-rc4
>
> The artifacts to be voted on are located here:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/druid/0.13.0-incubating-rc4
>
> This vote will be open for at least 72 hours. The vote will pass if a
> majority of at least three +1 IPMC votes are cast.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Druid (incubating) 0.13.0
> [ ]  0 I don't feel strongly about it, but I'm okay with the release

I am +1 (binding) for the release, given it is the first one.

Like Justin, I noticed some malformed headers and the lack of other licence
declarations in the LICENCE file, then saw others in the NOTICE file.
These will definitely need more work for the next release.

Name, build, signatures, checksums, unexpected binaries - all fine.

Cheers,

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Druid (incubating) 0.13.0 [RC4]

Gosling Von

+1(binding)

For the initial release under the Apache podling stage, we must be serious for some of the ip clearance problems. I strongly suggest our druid guys comment the todo list to track the problems in jira(as Justin pointed out). I also would like to help to re-check the problems in your next release.

BTW, I checked:
- incubating in name
- DISCLAIMER exists
- No unexpected binary files

For the license, I kindly suggest you could using some of the template just as we guys doing in Apache RocketMQ[1], and use checkstyle to re-check it when compiling or assembling :-)

[1] http://rocketmq.apache.org/docs/code-guidelines/ <http://rocketmq.apache.org/docs/code-guidelines/>
[2] https://github.com/apache/rocketmq/tree/master/style/copyright <https://github.com/apache/rocketmq/tree/master/style/copyright>

Best Regards,
Von Gosling

> 在 2018年12月6日,上午10:27,David Lim <[hidden email]> 写道:
>
> Hi IPMC,
>
> The Apache Druid community has voted on and approved a proposal to release
> Apache Druid (incubating) 0.13.0 (rc4).
>
> We now kindly request the Incubator PMC members review and vote on this
> incubator release.
>
> Project description: Apache Druid (incubating) is a high-performance,
> column-oriented, distributed data store.
>
> The community voting thread can be found here:
> https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@.../msg01489.html
>
> The release notes are available here:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-druid/issues/6442
>
> The release candidate has been tagged in GitHub as
> druid-0.13.0-incubating-rc4 (cf15aac), available here:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-druid/releases/tag/druid-0.13.0-incubating-rc4
>
> The artifacts to be voted on are located here:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/druid/0.13.0-incubating-rc4
>
> A staged Maven repository is available for review at:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedruid-1002/
>
> Release artifacts are signed with the key [7183DE56]:
> https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/davidlim.asc (also available here:
> http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?search=davidlim%40apache.org&op=index)
>
> This key and the key of other committers can also be found in the project's
> KEYS file here: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/druid/KEYS
>
> As part of the validation process, the binary release artifacts can be
> generated from source by running: mvn clean install
> -Papache-release,dist,rat
>
> This vote will be open for at least 72 hours. The vote will pass if a
> majority of at least three +1 IPMC votes are cast.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Druid (incubating) 0.13.0
> [ ]  0 I don't feel strongly about it, but I'm okay with the release
>

> Thank you IPMC! We appreciate your efforts in helping the Apache Druid
> community to validate this release.
>
> On behalf of the Apache Druid PPMC,
> David

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Druid (incubating) 0.13.0 [RC4]

David Lim
Justin, Dave, Von Gosling:

Thank you for your thorough review and helpful feedback. We very much
appreciate the guidance and support. We will work with our mentors to get
the contents of the LICENSE and NOTICE files corrected for next release.

Regards,
David