[VOTE] Release Apache Daffodil (incubating) 2.7.0-rc2

[VOTE] Release Apache Daffodil (incubating) 2.7.0-rc2

Mike Beckerle
The Apache Daffodil community has voted and approved the proposed
release of Apache Daffodil (incubating) 2.7.0-rc2.

We now kindly request the Incubator PMC members review and vote on this
incubator release.

Daffodil is an open source implementation of the DFDL specification that
uses DFDL schemas to parse fixed format data into an infoset, which is most
commonly represented as either XML or JSON. This allows the use of
well-established XML or JSON technologies and libraries to consume,
inspect, and manipulate fixed format data in existing solutions. Daffodil
is also capable of the reverse by serializing or "unparsing" an XML or JSON
infoset back to the original data format.

Vote thread:

https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/daffodil-dev/202007.mbox/%3CEEA6E9860DFB8449AA9F0E561E1B75AAA9709778%40ALPMBAPA07.e2k.ad.ge.com%3E

Result thread:

https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/daffodil-dev/202007.mbox/%3CCAM5OWnjr88hP-DVqFh2hKFBMMXepKu39YEt-_E-8Agx2%3DHBOcA%40mail.gmail.com%3E

All distribution packages, including signatures, digests, etc. can be
found at:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/daffodil/2.7.0-rc2/

Staging artifacts can be found at:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedaffodil-1018/

This release has been signed with PGP key 13A680AF, corresponding
to [hidden email], which is included in the KEYS file here:

https://downloads.apache.org/incubator/daffodil/KEYS

The release candidate has been tagged in git with v2.7.0-rc2.

For reference, here is a list of all closed JIRAs tagged with 2.7.0:

https://s.apache.org/daffodil-issues-2.7.0

For a summary of the changes in this release, see:

https://daffodil.apache.org/releases/2.7.0/

Please review and vote. The vote will be open for at least 72 hours
(ends on Thursday July 9 at 12 noon US.EDT = UTC-4)

[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Daffodil (incubating) 2.7.0-rc2

Beckerle, Mike

Hoping to get some attention to this.

We have a user community that requested that we do this point-release with a specific fix.
This is gating their release of a system that uses Daffodil.

Please review this latest incubator release of Daffodil.

Thank you

________________________________

[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Daffodil (incubating) 2.7.0-rc2

Christofer Dutz
+1 (binding)

I did find some minor issues though, please see below.
I would really suggest to start maintaining a RELEASE_NOTES file. I usually have a look at this in order to see what to expect of the new release.

Chris

[OK] Download all staged artifacts under the url specified in the release vote email into a directory we’ll now call download-dir.
[MINOR] Verify the signature is correct: Additional Apache tutorial on how to verify downloads can be found here.
        - No trusted Key-chain (might think about going to a key-signing party)
[OK] Check if the signature references an Apache email address.
[OK] Verify the SHA512 hashes:
[OK] Unzip the archive:
[MINOR] Verify the existence of DISCLAIMER, LICENSE, NOTICE, README, RELEASE_NOTES files in the extracted source bundle.
        - No RELEASE_NOTES
[OK] Verify the content of LICENSE, NOTICE, README, RELEASE_NOTES files in the extracted source bundle.
[OK] Run RAT externally (without any exclusions) to ensure there are no surprises.
[OK] Search for SNAPSHOT references:
[MINOR] Search for Copyright references, and if they are in headers, make sure these files containing them are mentioned in the LICENSE file.
        - Some files listed in LICENSE moved from daffodil-test/src/test/resources/org/apache/daffodil/ibm-tests/ to daffodil-test-ibm1/src/test/resources/test-suite/ibm-contributed/ without being updated in the LICENSE file
                - dpaspc7131.dfdl.xsd
                - dpaspc7132.dfdl.xsd
                - dpaspc7132_2.dfdl.xsd
[OK] Build the project according to the information in the README.md file.

Am 10.07.20, 03:38 schrieb "Beckerle, Mike" <[hidden email]>:

    Hoping to get some attention to this.

    We have a user community that requested that we do this point-release with a specific fix.
    This is gating their release of a system that uses Daffodil.

    Please review this latest incubator release of Daffodil.

    Thank you

    ________________________________

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Daffodil (incubating) 2.7.0-rc2

- incubating n name
- signatures and hashes are fine
- DISCLAIMER exists
- LICENSE and NOTICE are fine
- No unexpected binary file. However some test files end in “.bin” it would be good to rename these.
- All ASF files have ASF headers
- Can compile from source

Fw: [VOTE] Release Apache Daffodil (incubating) 2.7.0-rc2

Beckerle, Mike
We need one more +1 review to proceed.

Hoping we can get someone else to review soon.

We have a user community that requested that we do this point-release with a specific fix.
This is gating their release of a system that uses Daffodil.

Please review this latest incubator release of Daffodil.

Thank you

________________________________

[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Daffodil (incubating) 2.7.0-rc2

Justin Mclean
HI,

> Hoping we can get someone else to review soon.

Your mentors should be voting on your releases as they are IPMC members. If they are not please remind them to do so. If your mentors are absent then please ask for someone to replace them.

Thanks

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Daffodil (incubating) 2.7.0-rc2

Dave Fisher-2
Mentors are volunteers. Daffodil has only two mentors. For a long time it was a single mentor.

Anyone interested in mentoring Daffodil? The only issue preventing graduation is lack of diversity.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 13, 2020, at 7:25 AM, Justin Mclean <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> HI,
>
>> Hoping we can get someone else to review soon.
>
> Your mentors should be voting on your releases as they are IPMC members. If they are not please remind them to do so. If your mentors are absent then please ask for someone to replace them.
>
> Thanks

[RELEASENOTES?] Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Daffodil (incubating) 2.7.0-rc2

Dave Fisher

> On Jul 10, 2020, at 12:43 AM, Christofer Dutz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> +1 (binding)
>
> I did find some minor issues though, please see below.
> I would really suggest to start maintaining a RELEASE_NOTES file. I usually have a look at this in order to see what to expect of the new release.
>
> Chris
>

> [OK] Download all staged artifacts under the url specified in the release vote email into a directory we’ll now call download-dir.
> [MINOR] Verify the signature is correct: Additional Apache tutorial on how to verify downloads can be found here.
> - No trusted Key-chain (might think about going to a key-signing party)
> [OK] Check if the signature references an Apache email address.
> [OK] Verify the SHA512 hashes:
> [OK] Unzip the archive:
> [MINOR] Verify the existence of DISCLAIMER, LICENSE, NOTICE, README, RELEASE_NOTES files in the extracted source bundle.
> - No RELEASE_NOTES

When and where did Release Notes become a requirement?

They may be a good idea, but I want a reference to where this requirement came about and who made that change.

> [OK] Verify the content of LICENSE, NOTICE, README, RELEASE_NOTES files in the extracted source bundle.
> [OK] Run RAT externally (without any exclusions) to ensure there are no surprises.
> [OK] Search for SNAPSHOT references:
> [MINOR] Search for Copyright references, and if they are in headers, make sure these files containing them are mentioned in the LICENSE file.
> - Some files listed in LICENSE moved from daffodil-test/src/test/resources/org/apache/daffodil/ibm-tests/ to daffodil-test-ibm1/src/test/resources/test-suite/ibm-contributed/ without being updated in the LICENSE file
> - dpaspc7131.dfdl.xsd
> - dpaspc7132.dfdl.xsd
> - dpaspc7132_2.dfdl.xsd
> [OK] Build the project according to the information in the README.md file.
>

> Am 10.07.20, 03:38 schrieb "Beckerle, Mike" <[hidden email]>:
>

>    Hoping to get some attention to this.
>
>    We have a user community that requested that we do this point-release with a specific fix.
>    This is gating their release of a system that uses Daffodil.
>
>    Please review this latest incubator release of Daffodil.
>
>    Thank you
>
>    ________________________________

Re: [RELEASENOTES?] Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Daffodil (incubating) 2.7.0-rc2

Christofer Dutz
Hi Dave,

they are not a requirement ... it's just that every project I'm on sort of has them and I think it's a good thing to have them.
I didn't vote -1 or so ... I just added a comment as a minor issue (in my opinion)

Chris

Am 13.07.20, 16:53 schrieb "Dave Fisher" <[hidden email]>:

    > On Jul 10, 2020, at 12:43 AM, Christofer Dutz <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >
    > +1 (binding)
    >
    > I did find some minor issues though, please see below.
    > I would really suggest to start maintaining a RELEASE_NOTES file. I usually have a look at this in order to see what to expect of the new release.
    >
    > Chris
    >
    >
    > [OK] Download all staged artifacts under the url specified in the release vote email into a directory we’ll now call download-dir.
    > [MINOR] Verify the signature is correct: Additional Apache tutorial on how to verify downloads can be found here.
    > - No trusted Key-chain (might think about going to a key-signing party)
    > [OK] Check if the signature references an Apache email address.
    > [OK] Verify the SHA512 hashes:
    > [OK] Unzip the archive:
    > [MINOR] Verify the existence of DISCLAIMER, LICENSE, NOTICE, README, RELEASE_NOTES files in the extracted source bundle.
    > - No RELEASE_NOTES

    When and where did Release Notes become a requirement?

    They may be a good idea, but I want a reference to where this requirement came about and who made that change.

    > [OK] Verify the content of LICENSE, NOTICE, README, RELEASE_NOTES files in the extracted source bundle.
    > [OK] Run RAT externally (without any exclusions) to ensure there are no surprises.
    > [OK] Search for SNAPSHOT references:
    > [MINOR] Search for Copyright references, and if they are in headers, make sure these files containing them are mentioned in the LICENSE file.
    > - Some files listed in LICENSE moved from daffodil-test/src/test/resources/org/apache/daffodil/ibm-tests/ to daffodil-test-ibm1/src/test/resources/test-suite/ibm-contributed/ without being updated in the LICENSE file
    > - dpaspc7131.dfdl.xsd
    > - dpaspc7132.dfdl.xsd
    > - dpaspc7132_2.dfdl.xsd
    > [OK] Build the project according to the information in the README.md file.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Am 10.07.20, 03:38 schrieb "Beckerle, Mike" <[hidden email]>:
    >
    >
    >    Hoping to get some attention to this.
    >
    >    We have a user community that requested that we do this point-release with a specific fix.
    >    This is gating their release of a system that uses Daffodil.
    >
    >    Please review this latest incubator release of Daffodil.
    >
    >    Thank you
    >
    >    ________________________________

NOTICE, LICENSE and DISCLAIMER are good.
Checksums and signatures are good.
Incubating in name.
3 of the 4 binary artifacts are equivalent aside from shell script in rpm.
Did not unpack the msi so can’t vouch for that content. (I don’t have windows)
sbt ratCheck is good.
Compiles and tests pass.

> On Jul 6, 2020, at 8:45 AM, Mike Beckerle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The Apache Daffodil community has voted and approved the proposed
> release of Apache Daffodil (incubating) 2.7.0-rc2.
>
> We now kindly request the Incubator PMC members review and vote on this
> incubator release.
>
> Daffodil is an open source implementation of the DFDL specification that
> uses DFDL schemas to parse fixed format data into an infoset, which is most
> commonly represented as either XML or JSON. This allows the use of
> well-established XML or JSON technologies and libraries to consume,
> inspect, and manipulate fixed format data in existing solutions. Daffodil
> is also capable of the reverse by serializing or "unparsing" an XML or JSON
> infoset back to the original data format.
>
> Vote thread:
>
> https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/daffodil-dev/202007.mbox/%3CEEA6E9860DFB8449AA9F0E561E1B75AAA9709778%40ALPMBAPA07.e2k.ad.ge.com%3E
>
> Result thread:
>
> https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/daffodil-dev/202007.mbox/%3CCAM5OWnjr88hP-DVqFh2hKFBMMXepKu39YEt-_E-8Agx2%3DHBOcA%40mail.gmail.com%3E
>
> All distribution packages, including signatures, digests, etc. can be
> found at:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/daffodil/2.7.0-rc2/
>
> Staging artifacts can be found at:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedaffodil-1018/
>
> This release has been signed with PGP key 13A680AF, corresponding
> to [hidden email], which is included in the KEYS file here:
>
> https://downloads.apache.org/incubator/daffodil/KEYS
>
> The release candidate has been tagged in git with v2.7.0-rc2.
>
> For reference, here is a list of all closed JIRAs tagged with 2.7.0:
>
> https://s.apache.org/daffodil-issues-2.7.0
>
> For a summary of the changes in this release, see:
>
> https://daffodil.apache.org/releases/2.7.0/
>
> Please review and vote. The vote will be open for at least 72 hours
> (ends on Thursday July 9 at 12 noon US.EDT = UTC-4)
>
> [ ] +1 approve
> [ ] +0 no opinion
> [ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Daffodil (incubating) 2.7.0-rc2

Mike Beckerle

The vote to release Apache Daffodil (incubating) 2.7.0-rc2 is now
closed. Thanks to those that took the time to review and vote.

The release has passed with 3 +1 (binding) votes and no 0 or -1 votes.

Binding:

[List of +1 Voters]
Christofer Dutz
Justin Mclean
Dave Fisher

Vote threads: (Incubator)
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/202007.mbox/%3C377CD6D9-C162-42A2-8679-C1FFAFDCE923%40apache.org%3E

(daffodil-dev)
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/daffodil-dev/202007.mbox/%3CEEA6E9860DFB8449AA9F0E561E1B75AAA9709778%40ALPMBAPA07.e2k.ad.ge.com%3E

We will proceed with the official release of 2.7.0.