[VOTE] Release Apache Daffodil (incubating) 2.2.0-rc2

[VOTE] Release Apache Daffodil (incubating) 2.2.0-rc2

Mike Beckerle
The Apache Daffodil community has voted and approved the proposed release
of Apache Daffodil (Incubating) 2.2.0-rc2.

We now kindly request the Incubator PMC members review and vote on this
incubator release.

Daffodil is an open source implementation of the DFDL specification that
uses DFDL schemas to parse fixed format data into an infoset, which is most
commonly represented as either XML or JSON. This allows the use of
well-established XML or JSON technologies and libraries to consume,
inspect, and manipulate fixed format data in existing solutions. Daffodil
is also capable of the reverse by serializing or "unparsing" an XML or JSON
infoset back to the original data format.

The Vote thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/e45ae80c0ed472f54517c5133c25415a4db88a5989732f441b3e225e@%3Cdev.daffodil.apache.org%3E
(note: thread includes an RC1 vote, cancelled, then RC2 vote passed.)

The Result thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/e1f7806c404aa644ba481ede5055218492f385fd9644edaee81019ee@%3Cdev.daffodil.apache.org%3E

All distribution packages, including signatures, digests, etc. can be found
at:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/daffodil/2.2.0-rc2/

Staging artifacts can be found at:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedaffodil-1007/

This release has been signed with PGP key 13A680AF, corresponding to
[hidden email], which is included in the repository's KEYS file.

This key can be found on keyservers, such as

http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x13A680AF

and is also available at:

https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/mbeckerle.asc

The release candidate has been tagged in git with v2.2.0-rc2.

For reference, here is a list of all closed JIRAs tagged with 2.2.0:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=-1&jql=project%20%3D%20DAFFODIL%20AND%20status%20in%20(Resolved%2C%20Closed)%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%202.2.0%20order%20by%20updated%20DESC

For a summary of the changes in this release, see:

https://daffodil.apache.org/releases/2.2.0/

Please review and vote. The vote will be open for at least 72 hours, ending
not before Thursday August 30, 2018, 10:30AM  EDT.US
(2018-08-30T10:30:00-04:00)

[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

-Mike Beckerle
Daffodil (incubating)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Daffodil (incubating) 2.2.0-rc2

Dave Fisher-5
Hi -

+1 (binding)

All packages:
Checked signatures
Verified checksums (note SHA1 are no longer desired although repository.apahce changes may not be completed)
DISCLAIMER checked
LICENSE checked (It looks like it should be Open Grid Forum and not Open Grid Format. Fix in the next release)
NOTICE checked

Source package.
RAT Check passes
sbt build works
sbt test failed with OOM error - not concerned, but please provide better guidance on the next release
Sbt it:test success.

Kudos for the tests suggesting that I run `scutil --set HostName $(scutil --get LocalHostName)`

On Aug 27, 2018, at 7:22 AM, Mike Beckerle <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Daffodil only has two mentors (John Ament and I) and could really use some IPMC members looking in to VOTE on this release.

(Anyone interested in Mentoring?)

On Aug 28, 2018, at 11:31 AM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

- incubating in name
- signatures and hashes correct
- DISCLAIMER exists
- NOTICE is good
- LICENSE looks OK but not sure of the purpose of the last two copyright lines in LICENSE as usually license text goes in license not single copyright lines
- All ASF source files have ASF headers
- No unexpected binary files
- Can compile from source

Please remove the .sha1 checksum files as they are no longer secure / allowed by policy.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Daffodil (incubating) 2.2.0-rc2

Steve Lawrence-2
Thanks for the votes.

I've gone ahead and removed the sha1 checksums. I've also created
tickets for the issues that Dave mentioned to be fixed in the next release.

Regarding the last two copyright lines in the LICENSE file, those come
from the "Full Copyright Notice" from the DFDL specification, of which
we use some snippets in our tests:

https://daffodil.apache.org/docs/dfdl/#_Toc398030837

In LEGAL-369, it was recommended that the full copyright notice be
included in our LICENSE file. If those copyrights seem suspect, we can
raise the issue with the DFDL working group.

- Steve

On 09/04/2018 04:50 AM, Justin Mclean wrote:

> I checked:
> - incubating in name
> - signatures and hashes correct
> - DISCLAIMER exists
> - NOTICE is good
> - LICENSE looks OK but not sure of the purpose of the last two copyright lines in LICENSE as usually license text goes in license not single copyright lines
> - All ASF source files have ASF headers
> - No unexpected binary files
> - Can compile from source
>
> Please remove the .sha1 checksum files as they are no longer secure / allowed by policy.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Daffodil (incubating) 2.2.0-rc2

+1 to release.  The issues mentioned by Justin are not blockers.