[VOTE] Release Airflow 1.9.0

Chris Riccomini
Hello Incubator PMC’ers,

The Apache Airflow community has voted and approved the proposal to release
Apache Airflow 1.9.0 (incubating) based on 1.9.0 Release Candidate 8. We
now kindly request the Incubator PMC members to review and vote on this
incubator release.

Airflow is a platform to programmatically author, schedule, and monitor
workflows. Use Airflow to author workflows as directed acyclic graphs
(DAGs) of tasks. The airflow scheduler executes your tasks on an array of
workers while following the specified dependencies. Rich command line
utilities make performing complex surgeries on DAGs a snap. The rich user
interface makes it easy to visualize pipelines running in production,
monitor progress, and troubleshoot issues when needed. When workflows are
defined as code, they become more maintainable, versionable, testable, and
collaborative.

Artifacts are available at:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/airflow

Public keys are available at:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/airflow

apache-airflow-1.9.0rc8+incubating-source.tar.gz
<
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/airflow/1.9.0rc8/apache-airflow-1.9.0rc8+incubating-source.tar.gz

is a source release that comes with INSTALL instructions. Along with it, for
convenience, find the binary Python "sdist" as
apache-airflow-1.9.0rc8+incubating-bin.tar.gz
<
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/airflow/1.9.0rc8/apache-airflow-1.9.0rc8+incubating-bin.tar.gz

Vote thread:
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-airflow-dev/201712.mbox/%3CCABYbY7ecu8F8sp%3DgvZrvW3knj%3DQpdCUZu-Jh02KngjGOezhBKA%40mail.gmail.com%3E

Git tag:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-airflow/releases/tag/1.9.0rc8

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours or until necessary number of
votes are reached.

Members please be sure to indicate "(Binding)" with your vote which will
help in tallying the vote(s).

* Here is my +1 (non-binding) *

Cheers,
Chris

Re: [VOTE] Release Airflow 1.9.0

Henk P. Penning-2
On Mon, 18 Dec 2017, Chris Riccomini wrote:

> Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 21:32:38 +0100
> From: Chris Riccomini <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [VOTE] Release Airflow 1.9.0

> Artifacts are available at:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/airflow

   Please don't use the ".sha" extension ;
   use ".sha1", ".sha256", or ".sha512" instead for :

   -- apache-airflow-1.9.0rc8+incubating-bin.tar.gz.sha
   -- apache-airflow-1.9.0rc8+incubating-source.tar.gz.sha

   ref: http://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution#sigs-and-sums

> Public keys are available at:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/airflow

   If development of 1.8.0-incubating (and/or 1.8.1-incubating)
   has stopped (because superseded by 1.8.2-incubating),
   please remove it from /dist/release/incubator/airflow/.

   ref: http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#when-to-archive

> Chris

   Thanks ; regards,

   Henk Penning -- apache.org infrastructure ; mirrors

Re: [VOTE] Release Airflow 1.9.0

sebb-2-2
On 18 December 2017 at 20:32, Chris Riccomini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Incubator PMC’ers,
>
> The Apache Airflow community has voted and approved the proposal to release
> Apache Airflow 1.9.0 (incubating) based on 1.9.0 Release Candidate 8. We
> now kindly request the Incubator PMC members to review and vote on this
> incubator release.
>
> Airflow is a platform to programmatically author, schedule, and monitor
> workflows. Use Airflow to author workflows as directed acyclic graphs
> (DAGs) of tasks. The airflow scheduler executes your tasks on an array of
> workers while following the specified dependencies. Rich command line
> utilities make performing complex surgeries on DAGs a snap. The rich user
> interface makes it easy to visualize pipelines running in production,
> monitor progress, and troubleshoot issues when needed. When workflows are
> defined as code, they become more maintainable, versionable, testable, and
> collaborative.
>
> Artifacts are available at:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/airflow

The dist.apache.org URL is not for use by the general public; it is
only intended as the staging area for Airflow developers during a
release.

Releases MUST use the ASF 3rd party mirror system:

https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/incubator/airflow
See also:
http://www.apache.org/dev/release-download-pages.html#links

> Public keys are available at:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/airflow

Again, that is not allowed; only reference KEYS, sigs and hashes from

https://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/airflow

> apache-airflow-1.9.0rc8+incubating-source.tar.gz
> <
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/airflow/1.9.0rc8/apache-airflow-1.9.0rc8+incubating-source.tar.gz

This must use closer.cgi as above

> is a source release that comes with INSTALL instructions. Along with it, for
> convenience, find the binary Python "sdist" as
> apache-airflow-1.9.0rc8+incubating-bin.tar.gz
> <
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/airflow/1.9.0rc8/apache-airflow-1.9.0rc8+incubating-bin.tar.gz
>>

> Vote thread:
> https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-airflow-dev/201712.mbox/%3CCABYbY7ecu8F8sp%3DgvZrvW3knj%3DQpdCUZu-Jh02KngjGOezhBKA%40mail.gmail.com%3E
>
> Git tag:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-airflow/releases/tag/1.9.0rc8
>
> The vote will be open for at least 72 hours or until necessary number of
> votes are reached.

Nitpick: you cannot close the vote until 72 hours have elapsed even if
the required number of votes have already been cast.

> Members please be sure to indicate "(Binding)" with your vote which will
> help in tallying the vote(s).
>
> * Here is my +1 (non-binding) *
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

Re: [VOTE] Release Airflow 1.9.0

Chris Riccomini
> Please don't use the ".sha" extension ; use ".sha1", ".sha256", or
".sha512" instead for :

Done.

> If development of 1.8.0-incubating (and/or 1.8.1-incubating) has stopped
(because superseded by 1.8.2-incubating), please remove it from
/dist/release/incubator/airflow/.

Done.

> The dist.apache.org URL is not for use by the general public; it is only
intended as the staging area for Airflow developers during a release.

@sebb, this is where I'm confused. Since you guys haven't approved the
release yet, I was under the impression that we were still staging the
release. Are you saying I should move the rc8 artifacts over to
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/airflow/ now, before
the IPMC has +1'd the release?

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 8:35 AM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > convenience, find the binary Python "sdist" as
> > apache-airflow-1.9.0rc8+incubating-bin.tar.gz
> > <
> > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/airflow/1.
> 9.0rc8/apache-airflow-1.9.0rc8+incubating-bin.tar.gz
> >>

> > Vote thread:
> > https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-
> airflow-dev/201712.mbox/%3CCABYbY7ecu8F8sp%3DgvZrvW3knj%3DQpdCUZu-
> Jh02KngjGOezhBKA%40mail.gmail.com%3E
> >
> > Git tag:
> > https://github.com/apache/incubator-airflow/releases/tag/1.9.0rc8
> >
> > The vote will be open for at least 72 hours or until necessary number of
> > votes are reached.
>
> Nitpick: you cannot close the vote until 72 hours have elapsed even if
> the required number of votes have already been cast.
>
> > Members please be sure to indicate "(Binding)" with your vote which will

Re: [VOTE] Release Airflow 1.9.0

+1 (binding) but there’s a few things to fix up for the next release.

I checked:
- incubating in name
- signatures ands hashes fine
- disclaimer exits
- please fix year in notice ("2016 and onwards” makes it a little bard to work out when copyright would expire)
- LICENSE is OK but some license texts are missing i.e. Bootstrap Toggle, normalize.css, parallel.js. Note that in order to comply with the terms of the the licenses the full text of the license MUST be included.
- also note that ace and d3 are under a  BSD 3 clause not BSD 2 clause
- A large number of files are missing the correct ASF header. [4] (see below)
- No unexpected binary files

Some instructions on how to compile the source code would be useful.

Re incorrect header not perfect but shows scope of the issue:
$ find . -name "*.*" -exec grep "contributor license" {} \; -print | wc
     146     758    8300
$ find . -name "*.*" -exec grep "http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0" {} \; -print | wc
    1148    1674   49394

1. /airflow/contrib/hooks/bigquery_hook.py
2. /airflow/utils/dag_processing.py
3. airflow/contrib/operators/bigquery_operator.py
4. https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers

Re: [VOTE] Release Airflow 1.9.0

sebb-2-2
On 19 December 2017 at 18:42, Chris Riccomini <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Please don't use the ".sha" extension ; use ".sha1", ".sha256", or
> ".sha512" instead for :
>
> Done.
>
>> If development of 1.8.0-incubating (and/or 1.8.1-incubating) has stopped
> (because superseded by 1.8.2-incubating), please remove it from
> /dist/release/incubator/airflow/.
>
> Done.
>
>> The dist.apache.org URL is not for use by the general public; it is only
> intended as the staging area for Airflow developers during a release.
>
> @sebb, this is where I'm confused. Since you guys haven't approved the
> release yet, I was under the impression that we were still staging the
> release. Are you saying I should move the rc8 artifacts over to
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/airflow/ now, before
> the IPMC has +1'd the release?

Sorry, my bad. I misread the email.

dist.a.o is the correct host to use for artifacts, sigs, hashes in a VOTE.

Ideally the KEYS link should use www.a.o/dist, as the keys are best
maintained in dist/release rather than dist/dev (the file only needs
to be updated to add new RM keys).

> [...]
>> > convenience, find the binary Python "sdist" as
>> > apache-airflow-1.9.0rc8+incubating-bin.tar.gz
>> > <
>> > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/airflow/1.
>> 9.0rc8/apache-airflow-1.9.0rc8+incubating-bin.tar.gz
>> >>

>> > Vote thread:
>> > https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-
>> airflow-dev/201712.mbox/%3CCABYbY7ecu8F8sp%3DgvZrvW3knj%3DQpdCUZu-
>> Jh02KngjGOezhBKA%40mail.gmail.com%3E
>> >
>> > Git tag:
>> > https://github.com/apache/incubator-airflow/releases/tag/1.9.0rc8
>> >
>> > The vote will be open for at least 72 hours or until necessary number of
>> > votes are reached.
>>
>> Nitpick: you cannot close the vote until 72 hours have elapsed even if
>> the required number of votes have already been cast.
>>
>> > Members please be sure to indicate "(Binding)" with your vote which will

Re: [VOTE] Release Airflow 1.9.0

Bolke de Bruin
@sebb, @henk are you now able to vote +1 or is there anything else we need to pickup before?

Cheers
Bolke

> On 20 Dec 2017, at 15:29, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 19 December 2017 at 18:42, Chris Riccomini <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>> Please don't use the ".sha" extension ; use ".sha1", ".sha256", or
>> ".sha512" instead for :
>>
>> Done.
>>
>>> If development of 1.8.0-incubating (and/or 1.8.1-incubating) has stopped
>> (because superseded by 1.8.2-incubating), please remove it from
>> /dist/release/incubator/airflow/.
>>
>> Done.
>>
>>> The dist.apache.org URL is not for use by the general public; it is only
>> intended as the staging area for Airflow developers during a release.
>>
>> @sebb, this is where I'm confused. Since you guys haven't approved the
>> release yet, I was under the impression that we were still staging the
>> release. Are you saying I should move the rc8 artifacts over to
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/airflow/ now, before
>> the IPMC has +1'd the release?
>
> Sorry, my bad. I misread the email.
>
> dist.a.o is the correct host to use for artifacts, sigs, hashes in a VOTE.
>
> Ideally the KEYS link should use www.a.o/dist <http://www.a.o/dist>, as the keys are best
> maintained in dist/release rather than dist/dev (the file only needs
> to be updated to add new RM keys).
>
>> On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 8:35 AM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> release

>>> and

>>> The dist.apache.org URL is not for use by the general public; it is
>>> only intended as the staging area for Airflow developers during a
>>> release.
>>>
>>> Releases MUST use the ASF 3rd party mirror system:
>>>
>>> https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/incubator/airflow
>>> See also:
>>> http://www.apache.org/dev/release-download-pages.html#links

>>> Again, that is not allowed; only reference KEYS, sigs and hashes from
>>>
>>> https://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/airflow

>>> 9.0rc8/apache-airflow-1.9.0rc8+incubating-source.tar.gz
>>>
>>> This must use closer.cgi as above

>>> for
>>> 9.0rc8/apache-airflow-1.9.0rc8+incubating-bin.tar.gz

>>> airflow-dev/201712.mbox/%3CCABYbY7ecu8F8sp%3DgvZrvW3knj%3DQpdCUZu-
>>> Jh02KngjGOezhBKA%40mail.gmail.com%3E

>>> Nitpick: you cannot close the vote until 72 hours have elapsed even if
>>> the required number of votes have already been cast.

> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: [VOTE] Release Airflow 1.9.0

Jakob Homan
+1 (binding)

* sigs/hashes look good.
* disclaimer / license / notice look good
* a few files are missing licenses, like docs/Makefile, as Justin noticed
* artifact naming looks good
* setup.py build succeeds

Thanks,
Jakob

On 20 December 2017 at 13:41, Bolke de Bruin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> @sebb, @henk are you now able to vote +1 or is there anything else we need to pickup before?
>
> Cheers
> Bolke

>>> ".sha512" instead for :
>>>
>>> Done.

>>> (because superseded by 1.8.2-incubating), please remove it from
>>> /dist/release/incubator/airflow/.
>>>
>>> Done.

>>> intended as the staging area for Airflow developers during a release.
>>>
>>> @sebb, this is where I'm confused. Since you guys haven't approved the
>>> release yet, I was under the impression that we were still staging the
>>> release. Are you saying I should move the rc8 artifacts over to
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/airflow/ now, before
>>> the IPMC has +1'd the release?
>>
>> Sorry, my bad. I misread the email.
>>
>> dist.a.o is the correct host to use for artifacts, sigs, hashes in a VOTE.
>>
>> Ideally the KEYS link should use www.a.o/dist <http://www.a.o/dist>, as the keys are best
>> maintained in dist/release rather than dist/dev (the file only needs
>> to be updated to add new RM keys).

Re: [VOTE] Release Airflow 1.9.0

Chris Douglas-4
+1 (binding) overall. Looked through the src tarball.

* Checked LICENSE/NOTICE/DISCLAIMER
* Hashes match
* Signature matches
* Incubator naming, no binary files (other than images)

For future releases: the src tarball extracting to the current
directory was surprising. The top-level INSTALL file could reference
(or include) more of the quickstart under docs/. -C