[VOTE] Merge DistributedLog as the subproject of Apache BookKeeper

[VOTE] Merge DistributedLog as the subproject of Apache BookKeeper

Sijie Guo-2
( /cc bookkeeper dev@ and incubator general@ for awareness )

Hi all,

There was a joint discussion between BookKeeper PMC and DistributedLog PPMC
about moving the development of DistributedLog as part of Apache
BookKeeper. The reasons behind it are:

First, DistributedLog is born as an extension to BookKeeper, to offer
continuous log streams as the service. The ledger API in bookkeeper is a
lower level API and has learning curves, while the log stream API in
distributedlog is a higher level API that simplifies the usage. The
combination of ledger API and stream API would offer a better
developer/user experience for applications.

Secondly, using ledgers to build continuous (re-openable) log stream is a
very common pattern for BookKeeper use cases. We did this for HDFS namenode
journal, for Hedwig, for DistributedLog, and for Pulsar. The same pattern
has been implemented again and again. Merge DistributedLog (also
ManagedLedger in Pulsar) with BookKeeper will consolidate all the
development efforts around this common 'log stream' pattern.

Thirdly, the 'log' stream abstraction is a good abstraction for both
messaging and streaming. Internally at BookKeeper, there are a few places
that can use such 'messaging' facility to improve bookkeeper itself. the
log stream in DistributedLog can be used internally at bookkeeper for
streaming changes as well.

We choose merging DistributedLog as subproject rather than modules. It is a
softer starting point to avoid disrupting the folks who are depending on
the ledger api alone. The BookKeeper PMC and DistributedLog PPMC has
achieved initial consensus on this merge. There is an official VOTE ongoing
in bookkeeper PMC. We'd like to bring this to the distributedlog community
for a community vote following the guidelines here
<http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#subproject>.

Please vote +1 if in favor of merging DistributedLog to BookKeeper, and -1
if not. The vote will be open until Tuesday 13rd June, 18:00 PST.

- Sijie

Re: [VOTE] Merge DistributedLog as the subproject of Apache BookKeeper

John D. Ament-2
Sije,

Can you provide links to the PPMC and PMC votes going on for this move?

John

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 8:21 PM Sijie Guo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ( /cc bookkeeper dev@ and incubator general@ for awareness )
>
> Hi all,
>
> There was a joint discussion between BookKeeper PMC and DistributedLog PPMC
> about moving the development of DistributedLog as part of Apache
> BookKeeper. The reasons behind it are:
>
> First, DistributedLog is born as an extension to BookKeeper, to offer
> continuous log streams as the service. The ledger API in bookkeeper is a
> lower level API and has learning curves, while the log stream API in
> distributedlog is a higher level API that simplifies the usage. The
> combination of ledger API and stream API would offer a better
> developer/user experience for applications.
>
> Secondly, using ledgers to build continuous (re-openable) log stream is a
> very common pattern for BookKeeper use cases. We did this for HDFS namenode
> journal, for Hedwig, for DistributedLog, and for Pulsar. The same pattern
> has been implemented again and again. Merge DistributedLog (also
> ManagedLedger in Pulsar) with BookKeeper will consolidate all the
> development efforts around this common 'log stream' pattern.
>
> Thirdly, the 'log' stream abstraction is a good abstraction for both
> messaging and streaming. Internally at BookKeeper, there are a few places
> that can use such 'messaging' facility to improve bookkeeper itself. the
> log stream in DistributedLog can be used internally at bookkeeper for
> streaming changes as well.
>
> We choose merging DistributedLog as subproject rather than modules. It is a
> softer starting point to avoid disrupting the folks who are depending on
> the ledger api alone. The BookKeeper PMC and DistributedLog PPMC has
> achieved initial consensus on this merge. There is an official VOTE ongoing
> in bookkeeper PMC. We'd like to bring this to the distributedlog community
> for a community vote following the guidelines here
> <http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#subproject>.
>
> Please vote +1 if in favor of merging DistributedLog to BookKeeper, and -1
> if not. The vote will be open until Tuesday 13rd June, 18:00 PST.
>
> - Sijie

Re: [VOTE] Merge DistributedLog as the subproject of Apache BookKeeper

Sijie Guo-2
Sure.

The discussion email thread between BookKeeper PMC and DistributedLog PPMC:
https://mail-search.apache.org/pmc/private-arch/bookkeeper-private/201706.mbox/%3CCAO2yDyZu+R1EaePyHZuFxe_W0qAkHNYxNnmn5+zX6q520uzJKw@...%3E

The BookKeeper PMC VOTE email thread (it is still ongoing):
https://mail-search.apache.org/pmc/private-arch/bookkeeper-private/201706.mbox/%3CCAO2yDyacdXuXh==iw1OqrRiuGoxHprP_HtnOFojOT5RXMv6rEQ@...%3E

As our mentor suggested, I am following the process here :
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#subproject
This is the community vote for the first step. Let me know if I missed
anything.

- Sijie

You mean this is the vote on the PPMC?  If so please drop general@.

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 5:47 PM, John D. Ament <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 8:44 PM Sijie Guo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Sure.
> >
> > The discussion email thread between BookKeeper PMC and DistributedLog
> PPMC:
> >
> > https://mail-search.apache.org/pmc/private-arch/
> bookkeeper-private/201706.mbox/%3CCAO2yDyZu+R1EaePyHZuFxe_W0qAkHNYxNnmn5+
> [hidden email]%3E
> >
> > The BookKeeper PMC VOTE email thread (it is still ongoing):
> >
> > https://mail-search.apache.org/pmc/private-arch/
> bookkeeper-private/201706.mbox/%3CCAO2yDyacdXuXh==iw1OqrRiuGoxHprP_
> [hidden email]%3E
> >
> > As our mentor suggested, I am following the process here :
> > http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#subproject
> > This is the community vote for the first step. Let me know if I missed
> > anything.
> >

> You mean this is the vote on the PPMC?  If so please drop general@.

Yeah, it is the vote on the PPMC. The document is saying to copy the vote
to incubator general list when the VOTE is proposed.

I will drop general@ then.

- Sijie

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 8:50 PM Sijie Guo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 5:47 PM, John D. Ament <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 8:44 PM Sijie Guo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Sure.
> > >
> > > The discussion email thread between BookKeeper PMC and DistributedLog
> > PPMC:
> > >
> > > https://mail-search.apache.org/pmc/private-arch/
> > bookkeeper-private/201706.mbox/%3CCAO2yDyZu+R1EaePyHZuFxe_W0qAkHNYxNnmn5+
> > [hidden email]%3E
> > >
> > > The BookKeeper PMC VOTE email thread (it is still ongoing):
> > >
> > > https://mail-search.apache.org/pmc/private-arch/
> > bookkeeper-private/201706.mbox/%3CCAO2yDyacdXuXh==iw1OqrRiuGoxHprP_
> > [hidden email]%3E
> > >
> > > As our mentor suggested, I am following the process here :
> > > http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#subproject
> > > This is the community vote for the first step. Let me know if I missed
> > > anything.
> > >

> > You mean this is the vote on the PPMC?  If so please drop general@.
> >

> Yeah, it is the vote on the PPMC. The document is saying to copy the vote
> to incubator general list when the VOTE is proposed.
>
> I will drop general@ then.

Fair enough, we can fix the guide.  Most other places we recommend
forwarding the vote to let us know, its mostly "let us know you're planning
to do this"

> - Sijie
>

> > > - Sijie

> move?

> > DistributedLog

> offer
> > is
> in

> stream
> > > is a
> > > pattern

> both
> > > places
> itself.
> > > the
> for

> > It
> depending
> > > on
> has

> > and

Re: [VOTE] Merge DistributedLog as the subproject of Apache BookKeeper

Uma gangumalla

Uma

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 5:21 PM, Sijie Guo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ( /cc bookkeeper dev@ and incubator general@ for awareness )
>
> Hi all,
>
> There was a joint discussion between BookKeeper PMC and DistributedLog PPMC
> about moving the development of DistributedLog as part of Apache
> BookKeeper. The reasons behind it are:
>
> First, DistributedLog is born as an extension to BookKeeper, to offer
> continuous log streams as the service. The ledger API in bookkeeper is a
> lower level API and has learning curves, while the log stream API in
> distributedlog is a higher level API that simplifies the usage. The
> combination of ledger API and stream API would offer a better
> developer/user experience for applications.
>
> Secondly, using ledgers to build continuous (re-openable) log stream is a
> very common pattern for BookKeeper use cases. We did this for HDFS namenode
> journal, for Hedwig, for DistributedLog, and for Pulsar. The same pattern
> has been implemented again and again. Merge DistributedLog (also
> ManagedLedger in Pulsar) with BookKeeper will consolidate all the
> development efforts around this common 'log stream' pattern.
>
> Thirdly, the 'log' stream abstraction is a good abstraction for both
> messaging and streaming. Internally at BookKeeper, there are a few places
> that can use such 'messaging' facility to improve bookkeeper itself. the
> log stream in DistributedLog can be used internally at bookkeeper for
> streaming changes as well.
>
> We choose merging DistributedLog as subproject rather than modules. It is a
> softer starting point to avoid disrupting the folks who are depending on
> the ledger api alone. The BookKeeper PMC and DistributedLog PPMC has
> achieved initial consensus on this merge. There is an official VOTE ongoing
> in bookkeeper PMC. We'd like to bring this to the distributedlog community
> for a community vote following the guidelines here
> <http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#subproject>.
>
> Please vote +1 if in favor of merging DistributedLog to BookKeeper, and -1
> if not. The vote will be open until Tuesday 13rd June, 18:00 PST.
>
> - Sijie

Re: [VOTE] Merge DistributedLog as the subproject of Apache BookKeeper

Leigh Stewart
+1

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 2:48 PM, Uma gangumalla <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Uma
>
> On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 5:21 PM, Sijie Guo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > ( /cc bookkeeper dev@ and incubator general@ for awareness )
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > There was a joint discussion between BookKeeper PMC and DistributedLog
> PPMC
> > about moving the development of DistributedLog as part of Apache
> > BookKeeper. The reasons behind it are:
> >
> > First, DistributedLog is born as an extension to BookKeeper, to offer
> > continuous log streams as the service. The ledger API in bookkeeper is a
> > lower level API and has learning curves, while the log stream API in
> > distributedlog is a higher level API that simplifies the usage. The
> > combination of ledger API and stream API would offer a better
> > developer/user experience for applications.
> >
> > Secondly, using ledgers to build continuous (re-openable) log stream is a
> > very common pattern for BookKeeper use cases. We did this for HDFS
> namenode
> > journal, for Hedwig, for DistributedLog, and for Pulsar. The same pattern
> > has been implemented again and again. Merge DistributedLog (also
> > ManagedLedger in Pulsar) with BookKeeper will consolidate all the
> > development efforts around this common 'log stream' pattern.
> >
> > Thirdly, the 'log' stream abstraction is a good abstraction for both
> > messaging and streaming. Internally at BookKeeper, there are a few places
> > that can use such 'messaging' facility to improve bookkeeper itself. the
> > log stream in DistributedLog can be used internally at bookkeeper for
> > streaming changes as well.
> >
> > We choose merging DistributedLog as subproject rather than modules. It
> is a
> > softer starting point to avoid disrupting the folks who are depending on
> > the ledger api alone. The BookKeeper PMC and DistributedLog PPMC has
> > achieved initial consensus on this merge. There is an official VOTE
> ongoing
> > in bookkeeper PMC. We'd like to bring this to the distributedlog
> community
> > for a community vote following the guidelines here
> > <http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#subproject>.
> >
> > Please vote +1 if in favor of merging DistributedLog to BookKeeper, and
> -1
> > if not. The vote will be open until Tuesday 13rd June, 18:00 PST.
> >
> > - Sijie

Re: [VOTE] Merge DistributedLog as the subproject of Apache BookKeeper

Franck Cuny-2
+1 for subproject.

-franck

Re: [VOTE] Merge DistributedLog as the subproject of Apache BookKeeper

Hi -

I am adding the Pulsar Dev list so that podling can be certainly aware. (I know that there are BookKeeper dev involved in Pulsar.

Please drop general@ off for any further discussions from the Pulsar side.