[VOTE] Apache Toree 0.2.0-incubating (RC3)

[VOTE] Apache Toree 0.2.0-incubating (RC3)

Luciano Resende
Please vote to approve the release of Apache Toree 0.2.0-incubating (RC3).

The podling dev vote thread:
https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@.../msg01673.html

And the result:
https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@.../msg01677.html

Tag: v0.2.0-incubating-rc3 (32bbefa121aafd8713afab81516917234d72d690)

https://github.com/apache/incubator-toree/tree/v0.2.0-incubating-rc3

All distribution packages, including signatures, digests, etc. can be found
at:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/toree/0.2.0-incubating-rc3/

Staging artifacts can be found at:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetoree-1010

The vote is open for at least 72 hours and passes if a majority of at least
3 +1 PMC votes are cast.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Toree 0.2.0-incubating

Luciano Resende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975
http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Re: [VOTE] Apache Toree 0.2.0-incubating (RC3)

Justin Mclean-3
Hi,

-1 (binding) as there is compiled source in the release

I checked:
- incubating in name
- signatures and hashes correct
- disclaimer exists
- LICENSE is good
- NOTICE needs year updating
- Unexpected jars in source release.
- can compile from source

The 3 jars are:
  toree-0.2.0-incubating-src/scala-interpreter/src/test/resources/ScalaTestJar.jar
  toree-0.2.0-incubating-src/scala-interpreter/src/test/resources/TestJar.jar
  toree-0.2.0-incubating-src/scala-interpreter/src/test/resources/TestJar2.jar

Could these be compiled as part of the build process? It currently doesn’t look like the source code for those files are included at all but I assume you know where they come from?

Re: [VOTE] Apache Toree 0.2.0-incubating (RC3)

Ryan Blue-3
Justin,

A bit more context on those Jars: these were created to test the ability to
add jars at runtime to the Scala interpreter, and they were contributed to
the project as tests.

I'm not sure there's a strong case to build these Jars just before using
them in tests. That would require much more time and maintenance than just
including the binaries. There's nothing special about them besides that
they have classes that can be loaded to verify the classpath addition
worked. I think this is similar enough to having binary test files included
in file format projects that it should not be a reason to fail the release.

rb

Software Engineer
Netflix

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 1:39 AM, Justin Mclean <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> -1 (binding) as there is compiled source in the release
>
> I checked:
> - incubating in name
> - signatures and hashes correct
> - disclaimer exists
> - LICENSE is good
> - NOTICE needs year updating
> - Unexpected jars in source release.
> - can compile from source
>
> The 3 jars are:
>   toree-0.2.0-incubating-src/scala-interpreter/src/test/
> resources/ScalaTestJar.jar
>   toree-0.2.0-incubating-src/scala-interpreter/src/test/
> resources/TestJar.jar
>   toree-0.2.0-incubating-src/scala-interpreter/src/test/
> resources/TestJar2.jar
>
> Could these be compiled as part of the build process? It currently doesn’t
> look like the source code for those files are included at all but I assume
> you know where they come from?

Thanks for checking Justin, Toree internally needs to interpret Scala code
and be able to add external jars as dependencies and these three jars are
mainly used for testing purposes and they are also cleared labeled as a
test and placed as test resources. Having said that, this seems to have
been fixed in the previous release branch [1] without being merged to
master (unfortunately) and also based on the discussions from the previous
release [2] I was wondering if would be ok to have this released approved
with this issue (incubator releases are a step towards perfection) and I
would get these all resolved for the next release.

[1]
https://github.com/apache/incubator-toree/commit/f0bb5d238dc10376db3935c15e007ea46076e548
[2] https://www.mail-archive.com/general@.../msg58321.html
http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Re: [VOTE] Apache Toree 0.2.0-incubating (RC3)

> I'm not sure there's a strong case to build these Jars just before using
> them in tests. That would require much more time and maintenance than just
> including the binaries. There's nothing special about them besides that
> they have classes that can be loaded to verify the classpath addition
> worked. I think this is similar enough to having binary test files included
> in file format projects that it should not be a reason to fail the release.

There are no exceptions for including compiled code in a source release.

Yes you can include other binary formats like gifs and pngs but that’s not related to testing.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Toree 0.2.0-incubating (RC3)

> Thanks for checking Justin, Toree internally needs to interpret Scala code
> and be able to add external jars as dependencies and these three jars are
> mainly used for testing purposes and they are also cleared labeled as a
> test and placed as test resources. Having said that, this seems to have
> been fixed in the previous release branch [1] without being merged to
> master (unfortunately) and also based on the discussions from the previous
> release [2] I was wondering if would be ok to have this released approved
> with this issue (incubator releases are a step towards perfection) and I
> would get these all resolved for the next release.

I had forgotten that conversation, given it was brought up before and not fixed in this newer RC, I would still be inclined to vote -1. But lets see what other IPMC members or your mentors vote.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Toree 0.2.0-incubating (RC3)

Luciano Resende
Please consider this VOTE canceled while we work on the issues raised on
this vote thread.