[VOTE] Apache Pulsar 1.19.0-incubating Release Candidate 0

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[VOTE] Apache Pulsar 1.19.0-incubating Release Candidate 0

Matteo Merli
This is the first release candidate for Apache Pulsar, version
1.19.0-incubating.

Pulsar is a highly scalable, low latency messaging platform running on
commodity hardware. It provides simple pub-sub semantics over topics,
guaranteed at-least-once delivery of messages, automatic cursor management
for subscribers, and cross-datacenter replication.

Link to the voting thread from the dev@pulsar mailing list:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/396ffc9c8fe171bc272691414a39307e0929d40639d9ec631ea3aa15@%3Cdev.pulsar.apache.org%3E

Major changes included in this release are:
 * Added stateless Pulsar proxy
 * Support for non-persistent topics
 * Upgraded RocksDB to comply with ASF policy
 * Instrumentation of ZooKeeper client to expose metrics
 * Fixes for TLS auth in WebSocket proxy

Complete list of changes can be found at:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-pulsar/milestone/8?closed=1

Note that we are voting upon the source (tag), binaries are provided for
convenience.

Source and binary files:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/pulsar/pulsar-1.19.0-incubating-candidate-0/

Maven staging repo:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachepulsar-1000/

The tag to be voted upon:
v1.19.0-incubating-candidate-0 (5125279b50f7a3da8c211b698580e1d2f4dd65e2)

Pulsar's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/pulsar/KEYS

Please download the the source package, and follow the README to build
and run the Pulsar standalone service.

This vote will stay open for at least 72 hours.

Thanks!
Matteo

--
Matteo Merli
<[hidden email]>
--
Matteo Merli
<[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [VOTE] Apache Pulsar 1.19.0-incubating Release Candidate 0

Dave Fisher-5
Hello IPMC -

I voted on the podling vote thread with an IPMC (binding) +1. At least one other mentor is reviewing the release as well.

If you have a chance please take a look.

Regards,
Dave

> On Aug 3, 2017, at 5:23 PM, Matteo Merli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This is the first release candidate for Apache Pulsar, version
> 1.19.0-incubating.
>
> Pulsar is a highly scalable, low latency messaging platform running on
> commodity hardware. It provides simple pub-sub semantics over topics,
> guaranteed at-least-once delivery of messages, automatic cursor management
> for subscribers, and cross-datacenter replication.
>
> Link to the voting thread from the dev@pulsar mailing list:
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/396ffc9c8fe171bc272691414a39307e0929d40639d9ec631ea3aa15@%3Cdev.pulsar.apache.org%3E
>
> Major changes included in this release are:
> * Added stateless Pulsar proxy
> * Support for non-persistent topics
> * Upgraded RocksDB to comply with ASF policy
> * Instrumentation of ZooKeeper client to expose metrics
> * Fixes for TLS auth in WebSocket proxy
>
> Complete list of changes can be found at:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-pulsar/milestone/8?closed=1
>
> Note that we are voting upon the source (tag), binaries are provided for
> convenience.
>
> Source and binary files:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/pulsar/pulsar-1.19.0-incubating-candidate-0/
>
> Maven staging repo:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachepulsar-1000/
>
> The tag to be voted upon:
> v1.19.0-incubating-candidate-0 (5125279b50f7a3da8c211b698580e1d2f4dd65e2)
>
> Pulsar's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/pulsar/KEYS
>
> Please download the the source package, and follow the README to build
> and run the Pulsar standalone service.
>
> This vote will stay open for at least 72 hours.
>
> Thanks!
> Matteo
>
> --
> Matteo Merli
> <[hidden email]>
> --
> Matteo Merli
> <[hidden email]>


signature.asc (817 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [VOTE] Apache Pulsar 1.19.0-incubating Release Candidate 0

Josh Elser
In reply to this post by Matteo Merli
+1 (binding)

It looks like you're missing a Copyright propagation for work by Trevor
Robinson in your NOTICE file. The license headers are for ASL (you are
correct to have omitted this from LICENSE), but I believe you still need
to propagate the copyright notice to your NOTICE in the src release for
the "com/scurrilous/circe" work you include in src-form.

Your RAT exclusions are pretty broad (some, matching things you aren't
even bundling). It would be in your best interest to pare down this
list, ideally setting the exclusion in each Maven module, rather than in
the parent module.

* xsums/sigs OK
* Can build from src
* L&N otherwise look ok on src

On 8/3/17 8:23 PM, Matteo Merli wrote:

> This is the first release candidate for Apache Pulsar, version
> 1.19.0-incubating.
>
> Pulsar is a highly scalable, low latency messaging platform running on
> commodity hardware. It provides simple pub-sub semantics over topics,
> guaranteed at-least-once delivery of messages, automatic cursor management
> for subscribers, and cross-datacenter replication.
>
> Link to the voting thread from the dev@pulsar mailing list:
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/396ffc9c8fe171bc272691414a39307e0929d40639d9ec631ea3aa15@%3Cdev.pulsar.apache.org%3E
>
> Major changes included in this release are:
>   * Added stateless Pulsar proxy
>   * Support for non-persistent topics
>   * Upgraded RocksDB to comply with ASF policy
>   * Instrumentation of ZooKeeper client to expose metrics
>   * Fixes for TLS auth in WebSocket proxy
>
> Complete list of changes can be found at:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-pulsar/milestone/8?closed=1
>
> Note that we are voting upon the source (tag), binaries are provided for
> convenience.
>
> Source and binary files:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/pulsar/pulsar-1.19.0-incubating-candidate-0/
>
> Maven staging repo:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachepulsar-1000/
>
> The tag to be voted upon:
> v1.19.0-incubating-candidate-0 (5125279b50f7a3da8c211b698580e1d2f4dd65e2)
>
> Pulsar's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/pulsar/KEYS
>
> Please download the the source package, and follow the README to build
> and run the Pulsar standalone service.
>
> This vote will stay open for at least 72 hours.
>
> Thanks!
> Matteo
>
> --
> Matteo Merli
> <[hidden email]>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [VOTE] Apache Pulsar 1.19.0-incubating Release Candidate 0

Francis Liu
+1  (binding)
Francis

    On Friday, August 4, 2017 12:11 PM, Josh Elser <[hidden email]> wrote:
 

 +1 (binding)

It looks like you're missing a Copyright propagation for work by Trevor
Robinson in your NOTICE file. The license headers are for ASL (you are
correct to have omitted this from LICENSE), but I believe you still need
to propagate the copyright notice to your NOTICE in the src release for
the "com/scurrilous/circe" work you include in src-form.

Your RAT exclusions are pretty broad (some, matching things you aren't
even bundling). It would be in your best interest to pare down this
list, ideally setting the exclusion in each Maven module, rather than in
the parent module.

* xsums/sigs OK
* Can build from src
* L&N otherwise look ok on src

On 8/3/17 8:23 PM, Matteo Merli wrote:

> This is the first release candidate for Apache Pulsar, version
> 1.19.0-incubating.
>
> Pulsar is a highly scalable, low latency messaging platform running on
> commodity hardware. It provides simple pub-sub semantics over topics,
> guaranteed at-least-once delivery of messages, automatic cursor management
> for subscribers, and cross-datacenter replication.
>
> Link to the voting thread from the dev@pulsar mailing list:
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/396ffc9c8fe171bc272691414a39307e0929d40639d9ec631ea3aa15@%3Cdev.pulsar.apache.org%3E
>
> Major changes included in this release are:
>  * Added stateless Pulsar proxy
>  * Support for non-persistent topics
>  * Upgraded RocksDB to comply with ASF policy
>  * Instrumentation of ZooKeeper client to expose metrics
>  * Fixes for TLS auth in WebSocket proxy
>
> Complete list of changes can be found at:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-pulsar/milestone/8?closed=1
>
> Note that we are voting upon the source (tag), binaries are provided for
> convenience.
>
> Source and binary files:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/pulsar/pulsar-1.19.0-incubating-candidate-0/
>
> Maven staging repo:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachepulsar-1000/
>
> The tag to be voted upon:
> v1.19.0-incubating-candidate-0 (5125279b50f7a3da8c211b698580e1d2f4dd65e2)
>
> Pulsar's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/pulsar/KEYS
>
> Please download the the source package, and follow the README to build
> and run the Pulsar standalone service.
>
> This vote will stay open for at least 72 hours.
>
> Thanks!
> Matteo
>
> --
> Matteo Merli
> <[hidden email]>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]



   
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [VOTE] Apache Pulsar 1.19.0-incubating Release Candidate 0

P. Taylor Goetz
In reply to this post by Matteo Merli
+1 (binding)

- DISCLAIMER exists
- L&N look good
- spot checked for ALv2 license headers
- no binaries in source dist
- can build from source (though I had to skip tests due to a failure)
- checksum and signature good

> On Aug 4, 2017, at 3:10 PM, Josh Elser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It looks like you're missing a Copyright propagation for work by Trevor Robinson in your NOTICE file. The license headers are for ASL (you are correct to have omitted this from LICENSE), but I believe you still need to propagate the copyright notice to your NOTICE in the src release for the "com/scurrilous/circe" work you include in src-form.


In addition to what Josh mentioned, should Yahoo be listed in the NOTICE file? I know it has been listed in other projects Yahoo has contributed to.

-Taylor

> On Aug 3, 2017, at 8:23 PM, Matteo Merli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This is the first release candidate for Apache Pulsar, version
> 1.19.0-incubating.
>
> Pulsar is a highly scalable, low latency messaging platform running on
> commodity hardware. It provides simple pub-sub semantics over topics,
> guaranteed at-least-once delivery of messages, automatic cursor management
> for subscribers, and cross-datacenter replication.
>
> Link to the voting thread from the dev@pulsar mailing list:
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/396ffc9c8fe171bc272691414a39307e0929d40639d9ec631ea3aa15@%3Cdev.pulsar.apache.org%3E
>
> Major changes included in this release are:
> * Added stateless Pulsar proxy
> * Support for non-persistent topics
> * Upgraded RocksDB to comply with ASF policy
> * Instrumentation of ZooKeeper client to expose metrics
> * Fixes for TLS auth in WebSocket proxy
>
> Complete list of changes can be found at:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-pulsar/milestone/8?closed=1
>
> Note that we are voting upon the source (tag), binaries are provided for
> convenience.
>
> Source and binary files:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/pulsar/pulsar-1.19.0-incubating-candidate-0/
>
> Maven staging repo:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachepulsar-1000/
>
> The tag to be voted upon:
> v1.19.0-incubating-candidate-0 (5125279b50f7a3da8c211b698580e1d2f4dd65e2)
>
> Pulsar's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/pulsar/KEYS
>
> Please download the the source package, and follow the README to build
> and run the Pulsar standalone service.
>
> This vote will stay open for at least 72 hours.
>
> Thanks!
> Matteo
>
> --
> Matteo Merli
> <[hidden email]>
> --
> Matteo Merli
> <[hidden email]>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [VOTE] Apache Pulsar 1.19.0-incubating Release Candidate 0

Matteo Merli
In reply to this post by Josh Elser
On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 12:10 PM Josh Elser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 (binding)
>
> It looks like you're missing a Copyright propagation for work by Trevor
> Robinson in your NOTICE file. The license headers are for ASL (you are
> correct to have omitted this from LICENSE), but I believe you still need
> to propagate the copyright notice to your NOTICE in the src release for
> the "com/scurrilous/circe" work you include in src-form.
>

Good catch. Initially we had it mentioned in NOTICE but then it got lost
when
moving other parts into the LICENSE file. I have created a PR to fix it
https://github.com/apache/incubator-pulsar/pull/641


> Your RAT exclusions are pretty broad (some, matching things you aren't
> even bundling). It would be in your best interest to pare down this
> list, ideally setting the exclusion in each Maven module, rather than in
> the parent module.


That's correct. I think the main reason for the large list of exclusions is
to cover
all files generated during the build process, in order to be able to run
"rat" even
in a dirty working copy. The second reason is about files which are in the
git repo
but that are not included in the source distribution, like website and
other tools. Since
we run "rat" in out CI build, it need to ignore these.

About having the exclusions in each submodule, I thought that when running
on the
parent maven module, it will anyway check the whole tree.

In any case, I agree that having the long list makes it difficult to asses
whether
we're missing any file, so we will try to get it to the bare minimum.

Thank you,
Matteo

--
Matteo Merli
<[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [VOTE] Apache Pulsar 1.19.0-incubating Release Candidate 0

Matteo Merli
In reply to this post by P. Taylor Goetz
On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 1:13 PM P. Taylor Goetz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Aug 4, 2017, at 3:10 PM, Josh Elser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > It looks like you're missing a Copyright propagation for work by Trevor
> Robinson in your NOTICE file. The license headers are for ASL (you are
> correct to have omitted this from LICENSE), but I believe you still need to
> propagate the copyright notice to your NOTICE in the src release for the
> "com/scurrilous/circe" work you include in src-form.
>
>
> In addition to what Josh mentioned, should Yahoo be listed in the NOTICE
> file? I know it has been listed in other projects Yahoo has contributed to.
>
> -Taylor
>

I haven't see any mention of this in policy guidelines for the NOTICE file.

My personal assumption was that copyright was transferred from Yahoo to the
ASF when the grant was submitted.

In any case, we'll be very happy to add a Yahoo copyright line in the
NOTICE file to mention the "historical" provenance of the code, if that is
deemed appropriate.

Thank you,
Matteo


--
Matteo Merli
<[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [VOTE] Apache Pulsar 1.19.0-incubating Release Candidate 0

Justin Mclean
In reply to this post by Matteo Merli
Hi,

+1 binding

I checked:
- incubating in name
- signatures and hashes correct
- DISCLAIMER exists
- LICENSE and NOTICE good
- No unexpected binary files in source release
- All source files have ASF headers where needed
- Can compile from source

One minor thing  I found is that several files [2][3][4][5] have double ASF headers and incorrectly include an ASF copyright line.

BTW the other bundled ALv2 license software is missing a NOTICE file [1] so there no need to add anything to your notice or license for that.

The binary NOTICE  file however needs some work:
- Notice file lists copyright owners when it doesn’t need to
- Notice file list dependancies which while useful shouldn’t be in NOTICE (although that may of been copied from Netty?)

Thanks
Justin

1. https://github.com/trevorr/circe
2. managed-ledger/src/test/java/org/apache/bookkeeper/test/BookKeeperClusterTestCase.java
3. managed-ledger/src/test/java/org/apache/bookkeeper/test/ZooKeeperUtil.java
4. pulsar-client-tools/src/main/java/org/apache/pulsar/admin/cli/utils/IOUtils.java
5. pulsar-zookeeper-utils/src/main/java/org/apache/pulsar/zookeeper/LocalBookkeeperEnsemble.java
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [VOTE] Apache Pulsar 1.19.0-incubating Release Candidate 0

Matteo Merli
Thank you Justin for the detailed analysis.

On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 5:26 PM Justin Mclean <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> One minor thing  I found is that several files [2][3][4][5] have double
> ASF headers and incorrectly include an ASF copyright line.
>

Thanks for catching these. I've created a pull-request to fix it:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-pulsar/pull/653


> BTW the other bundled ALv2 license software is missing a NOTICE file [1]
> so there no need to add anything to your notice or license for that.
>

> The binary NOTICE  file however needs some work:
> - Notice file lists copyright owners when it doesn’t need to
>

Sure, we'll remove all the "copyright only" mentions in the NOTICE files
and only leave portion that have additional "notices".


> - Notice file list dependancies which while useful shouldn’t be in NOTICE
> (although that may of been copied from Netty?)
>

Yes, we have included the NOTICE file as it comes from Netty [1], minus
repeating the ALv2 license text. I believe most of those dependencies are
actually bundled inside the Netty jar and thus they are not listed
elsewhere as transitive dependencies for Pulsar. Does that make any
difference in this context?
What would be the recommended way to handle this?


1. https://github.com/netty/netty/blob/4.0/NOTICE.txt


Thank you,
Matteo
--
Matteo Merli
<[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [VOTE] Apache Pulsar 1.19.0-incubating Release Candidate 0

Justin Mclean
Hi,,

> Yes, we have included the NOTICE file as it comes from Netty [1], minus
> repeating the ALv2 license text. I believe most of those dependencies are
> actually bundled inside the Netty jar and thus they are not listed
> elsewhere as transitive dependencies for Pulsar. Does that make any
> difference in this context?

There’s no need to list dependancies in the NOTICE file only a few things are required in NOTICE and it best to kept short. [1][2][3]

Up to the PMC but I would removed them as they are IMO not needed.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html#contributor-copyright
2. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#mod-notice
3. https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#required-third-party-notices
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Loading...