[VOTE] Apache HTrace 4.3.0 incubating release (rc3)

[VOTE] Apache HTrace 4.3.0 incubating release (rc3)

Mike Drob
Hi IPMC,

Please consider the release of Apache HTrace 4.3.0 Incubating

Project [VOTE]:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/6e60ba2574a853da59c3a150f18cd9bbd52051785380a7cc837b583e@%3Cdev.htrace.apache.org%3E

Project [RESULT][VOTE]:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/fb2a68fcd9c80d9db4a483794112aecde486ca263384dec0bad38c34@%3Cdev.htrace.apache.org%3E

Artifacts staged at:

http://people.apache.org/~mdrob/htrace-4.3.0-incubating-rc3/

Staging maven repository at:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehtrace-1029

Source tree:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-htrace.git;a=tree;h=2ca8767b38c83f0d2f46ce7f91373d9df69f7fb8;hb=a47398aea8d65fb544faba150beb49bb7654cb49

Please download and evaluate the release candidate.

This vote will remain open for minimum 5 days

[ ] +1 Approve the release

[ ] +0 No opinion

[ ] -1 Do not approve the release because ...

Thanks,

Mike

Re: [VOTE] Apache HTrace 4.3.0 incubating release (rc3)

Josh Elser
+1 (binding)

* xsums/sigs OK
* DISCLAIMER present
* LICENSE looks good
* NOTICE file has some unnecessary stuff, IMO:
        - "In addition, this product includes software dependencies. See the
accompanying LICENSE.txt for a listing of dependencies that are NOT
Apache licensed (with pointers to their licensing)" -- This does not
seem necessary to me. This is the "norm" IMO.
        - "Apache HTrace includes an Apache Thrift connector to Zipkin. Zipkin
is a distributed tracing system that is Apache 2.0 Licensed. Copyright
2012 Twitter, Inc." -- First off, are these two sentences related? What
component does the Twitter copyright apply to? My hunch would be the
files beneath "htrace-zipkin/src/main/java/com/twitter/zipkin". This
could be clarified in a later release.
* Could build from source (ran into troubles with htraced, but found
BUILDING.txt to help)
* KEYS contains the signing key
* Tag/commit exists in scm

For your next release...

* That Maven 3.0.4 hard requirement is rough :). Would be nice if HTrace
could move to a modern version of Maven.
* The shaded jars need work. They bundle numerous dependencies (with
their various licenses and notice requirements) but include the default
LICENSE and NOTICE files from the Apache parent pom. For reference, I
checked the htrace-hbase jar and see that Protobuf classes are included
but their license text is not included. I'm assuming the rest of the
jars also violate policy in a similar manner.

- Josh

On 6/2/17 4:11 PM, Mike Drob wrote:

> Hi IPMC,
>
> Please consider the release of Apache HTrace 4.3.0 Incubating
>

> Project [VOTE]:
>
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/6e60ba2574a853da59c3a150f18cd9bbd52051785380a7cc837b583e@%3Cdev.htrace.apache.org%3E
>
> Project [RESULT][VOTE]:
>
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/fb2a68fcd9c80d9db4a483794112aecde486ca263384dec0bad38c34@%3Cdev.htrace.apache.org%3E
>
> Artifacts staged at:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~mdrob/htrace-4.3.0-incubating-rc3/
>
> Staging maven repository at:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehtrace-1029
>
> Source tree:
>
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-htrace.git;a=tree;h=2ca8767b38c83f0d2f46ce7f91373d9df69f7fb8;hb=a47398aea8d65fb544faba150beb49bb7654cb49
>

> Please download and evaluate the release candidate.
>
> This vote will remain open for minimum 5 days
>
> [ ] +1 Approve the release
>
> [ ] +0 No opinion
>
> [ ] -1 Do not approve the release because ...
>

> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Re: [VOTE] Apache HTrace 4.3.0 incubating release (rc3)

Billie Rinaldi
+1 binding, though the license and notice have room for improvement
signature and checksums are good
tarball matches the git tag
disclaimer is good
builds from git tag
unit tests pass
overall the license and notice appear to reflect the contents of the source
release, with the following notes that I'd like to see addressed in the
future

for the source tarball:
* htrace-c/pom.xml has the wrong license header
* htrace-c/src/test/temp_dir.c appears to be an ASLv2 licensed file with
"Copyright 2011-2012 the Redfish authors" and this isn't mentioned in the
NOTICE
* htrace-hbase/src/main/webapps/htrace/bootstrap-theme.min.css and
htrace-hbase/src/main/webapps/htrace/bootstrap.min.css appear to have an
older version of bootstrap (3.0.0 instead of 3.3.1) with ASLv2 license
"Copyright 2013 Twitter, Inc" and this isn't mentioned in the NOTICE

for the jars and war distributed in the maven repository:
* distributed jars and wars should have their own LICENSE and NOTICE files
reflecting what is included in them -- there are some BSD, MIT, and CDDL
licensed classes included in the shaded jars that are not mentioned
* htrace-zipkin-4.3.0-incubating.jar contains a confusing license file,
META-INF/license/LICENSE.jboss-logging.txt, that states jboss logging is
LGPL. jboss logging does not appear to be included in the jar, but I
suspect the license file is present because jboss logging is an optional
dependency of netty, which is included in the jar

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/fb2a68fcd9c80d9db4a483794112aecde486ca263384dec0bad38c34@%3Cdev.htrace.apache.org%3Ehttps://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-htrace.git;a=tree;h=2ca8767b38c83f0d2f46ce7f91373d9df69f7fb8;hb=a47398aea8d65fb544faba150beb49bb7654cb49

> Please download and evaluate the release candidate.
>
> This vote will remain open for minimum 5 days
>
> [ ] +1 Approve the release
>
> [ ] +0 No opinion
>
> [ ] -1 Do not approve the release because ...
>

> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Re: [VOTE] Apache HTrace 4.3.0 incubating release (rc3)

> * htrace-c/src/test/temp_dir.c appears to be an ASLv2 licensed file with
> "Copyright 2011-2012 the Redfish authors" and this isn't mentioned in the
> NOTICE

Nor does it have to be, you can optionally add it to LICENSE but that’s not required.

I’m assuming it came form here [1] and there is no NOTICE file so nothing need to be placed in NOTICE. [2]

> * htrace-hbase/src/main/webapps/htrace/bootstrap-theme.min.css and
> htrace-hbase/src/main/webapps/htrace/bootstrap.min.css appear to have an
> older version of bootstrap (3.0.0 instead of 3.3.1) with ASLv2 license
> "Copyright 2013 Twitter, Inc" and this isn't mentioned in the NOTICE

Again this should optionally mentioned in LICENSE [3] as their is no NOTICE file. [4]

1. https://github.com/cmccabe/redfish
2. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#bundle-asf-product
3. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#alv2-dep
4. https://github.com/twbs/bootstrap/tree/v3.0.0

Re: [VOTE] Apache HTrace 4.3.0 incubating release (rc3)

+1 binding

I checked:
- incubating in name
- disclaimer exists
- NOTICE has some extra text that can be removed
- LICENSE has a minor issue
- No unexpected binaries
- All source file have ASF headers
- Didn’t compile as Maven 3.0.4 is required, would be good to not have this requirement.

A couple of minor issues:
-This file [1] has a copyright line when it probably shouldn’t.
- License is missing license for normalise.css

1. ./bin/gen_thrift.sh

Re: [VOTE] Apache HTrace 4.3.0 incubating release (rc3)

The issue of what to include in a WAR file recently came up.  I noticed
that your release includes a WAR file so figured I'd check it.  I found the
following:

- Includes a LICENSE, NOTICE.
- LICENSE does not mention the bundled backbone, jquery, underscore,
moment, npm.js libraries.
- No other dependencies found (no JAR files) so nothing else probably needs
to get included.

If you can raise a JIRA to cover these, I can vote a +1 with changes
required for next release.

John

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 4:11 PM Mike Drob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi IPMC,
>
> Please consider the release of Apache HTrace 4.3.0 Incubating
>

> Project [VOTE]:
>

> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/6e60ba2574a853da59c3a150f18cd9bbd52051785380a7cc837b583e@%3Cdev.htrace.apache.org%3E
>
> Project [RESULT][VOTE]:
>

> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/fb2a68fcd9c80d9db4a483794112aecde486ca263384dec0bad38c34@%3Cdev.htrace.apache.org%3E
>
> Artifacts staged at:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~mdrob/htrace-4.3.0-incubating-rc3/
>
> Staging maven repository at:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehtrace-1029
>
> Source tree:
>

> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-htrace.git;a=tree;h=2ca8767b38c83f0d2f46ce7f91373d9df69f7fb8;hb=a47398aea8d65fb544faba150beb49bb7654cb49
>

> Please download and evaluate the release candidate.
>
> This vote will remain open for minimum 5 days
>
> [ ] +1 Approve the release
>
> [ ] +0 No opinion
>
> [ ] -1 Do not approve the release because ...
>

> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Apache HTrace 4.3.0 incubating release (rc3)

Mike Drob
Sorry for the long turnaround, realized I never sent the tally email.

This vote passes with 3 +1: Billie, Justin, and Josh.

Thanks all for taking a look!

On 2017-06-02 15:11, Mike Drob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi IPMC,
>
> Please consider the release of Apache HTrace 4.3.0 Incubating
>

> Project [VOTE]:
>
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/6e60ba2574a853da59c3a150f18cd9bbd52051785380a7cc837b583e@%3Cdev.htrace.apache.org%3E
>
> Project [RESULT][VOTE]:
>
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/fb2a68fcd9c80d9db4a483794112aecde486ca263384dec0bad38c34@%3Cdev.htrace.apache.org%3E
>
> Artifacts staged at:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~mdrob/htrace-4.3.0-incubating-rc3/
>
> Staging maven repository at:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehtrace-1029
>
> Source tree:
>
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-htrace.git;a=tree;h=2ca8767b38c83f0d2f46ce7f91373d9df69f7fb8;hb=a47398aea8d65fb544faba150beb49bb7654cb49
>

> Please download and evaluate the release candidate.
>
> This vote will remain open for minimum 5 days
>
> [ ] +1 Approve the release
>
> [ ] +0 No opinion
>
> [ ] -1 Do not approve the release because ...
>

> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Apache HTrace 4.3.0 incubating release (rc3)

John D. Ament-2
Mike

Did you see my notes about the war file?

On Aug 16, 2017 12:51 PM, "Mike Drob" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry for the long turnaround, realized I never sent the tally email.
>
> This vote passes with 3 +1: Billie, Justin, and Josh.
>
> Thanks all for taking a look!
>
> On 2017-06-02 15:11, Mike Drob <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi IPMC,
> >
> > Please consider the release of Apache HTrace 4.3.0 Incubating
> >

> > Project [VOTE]:
> >
> > https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/6e60ba2574a853da59c3a150f18cd9
> bbd52051785380a7cc837b583e@%3Cdev.htrace.apache.org%3E
> >
> > Project [RESULT][VOTE]:
> >
> > https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/fb2a68fcd9c80d9db4a483794112ae
> cde486ca263384dec0bad38c34@%3Cdev.htrace.apache.org%3E
> >
> > Artifacts staged at:
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~mdrob/htrace-4.3.0-incubating-rc3/
> >
> > Staging maven repository at:
> >
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehtrace-1029
> >
> > Source tree:
> >
> > https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-htrace.git;a=tree;h=
> 2ca8767b38c83f0d2f46ce7f91373d9df69f7fb8;hb=a47398aea8d65fb544faba150beb49
> bb7654cb49
> >

> > Please download and evaluate the release candidate.
> >
> > This vote will remain open for minimum 5 days
> >
> > [ ] +1 Approve the release
> >
> > [ ] +0 No opinion
> >
> > [ ] -1 Do not approve the release because ...
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Apache HTrace 4.3.0 incubating release (rc3)

Mike Drob
HTRACE-400