[VOTE] Apache Gobblin 0.12.0 release RC0

[VOTE] Apache Gobblin 0.12.0 release RC0

Abhishek Tiwari-2
The Apache Gobblin community has voted on and approved the release of
Apache Gobblin 0.12.0 (incubating):

https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@.../msg01380.html

Results:
6 binding +1 votes
No 0 votes
No -1 votes

I'd like to call a vote in general to approve the release.

The source release candidate RC0 can be downloaded here:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/gobblin/apache-gobblin-incubating-0.12.0-rc0/

The artifacts (i.e. JARs) corresponding to this release candidate can be
found here:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachegobblin-1000/

This has been signed with PGP key 234E3FE3, corresponding to
[hidden email], which is included in the repository's KEYS file (
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/gobblin/KEYS).  This
key can be found on keyservers, such as:

*http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x234E3FE3
<http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x234E3FE3>*

It is also listed here:

https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/abti.asc

The release candidate has been tagged with release-0.12.0-rc0.
I've also created a branch 0.12.0.

For reference, here is a list of all closed JIRAs tagged with 0.12.0:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20GOBBLIN%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%200.12.0%20AND%20status%20in%20(Closed%2C%20Resolved)%20ORDER%20BY%20updatedDate%20DESC%2C%20createdDate%20DESC%2C%20status%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC

For a summary of the changes in this release, see:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-gobblin/blob/0.12.0/CHANGELOG.md

Please review and vote. The vote will be open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

Thanks,
Abhishek, on behalf of the Apache Gobblin PPMC

Re: [VOTE] Apache Gobblin 0.12.0 release RC0

Justin Mclean-3
Hi,

-1 (binding) for LICENSE and NOTICE issues

I checked:
- name included incubating
- hashes and signatures correct
- DISCLAIMER exists
- LICENSE and NOTICE need more work (see below)
- No unexpected binaries in source release
- All files have ASF headers
- Couldn’t compile from source but probably don’t have a correct environment set up

LICENSE should list all of the bundled software licenses, NOTICE should not include permissive license details or in general copyrights. Neither should mention dependancies only what is actually bundled in a release. I suggest you ask your mentors to guide you on this and/or read this. [1]

NOTICE is also incorrect  "This product includes software developed by The Apache Software” it’s developed at not by, it missing the ASF copyright line and contains way too much information. Please use the boilerplate notice here [3]

LICENSE should be listing the following software licenses:
- MIT licensed bootstrap
- MIT licensed normalize.css
- license for glyphicons-halflings font
- probably this file [2] copyright linkedin?

That’s all I could find that was bundled in the release. As far as i can see none of the software mentioned in NOTICE is actually bundled in the release.

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html
2. ./apache-gobblin-incubating-sources-0.12.0/gobblin-restli/gobblin-throttling-service/gobblin-throttling-service-server/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml
3. https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice

Re: [VOTE] Apache Gobblin 0.12.0 release RC0

Abhishek Tiwari-2
Thanks Justin for reviewing the release. I will work on LICENSE and NOTICE
and push through a new RC with the changes.

Regards,
Abhishek