[VOTE] Apache Crail 1.1-incubating (rc8)

[VOTE] Apache Crail 1.1-incubating (rc8)

Adrian Schuepbach
Hi all

Please vote to approve the release of Apache Crail 1.1-incubating (rc8).

The podling dev vote thread:

https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@.../msg00519.html

The result:

https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@.../msg00526.html

Commit hash: 08c75b55f7f97be869049cf80a0da5347e550a3d

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-crail.git;a=commit;h=08c75b55f7f97be869049cf80a0da5347e550a3d

Release files can be found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/crail/1.1-rc8/

The Nexus Staging URL:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecrail-1007/

https://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/crail/KEYS

For information about the contents of this release, see:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-crail.git;a=blob_plain;f=HISTORY.md;hb=08c75b55f7f97be869049cf80a0da5347e550a3d
or
https://github.com/apache/incubator-crail/blob/08c75b55f7f97be869049cf80a0da5347e550a3d/HISTORY.md

The vote is open for at least 72 hours and passes if a majority of at
least 3 +1 PMC votes are cast.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Crail 1.1-incubating

Adrian

Re: [VOTE] Apache Crail 1.1-incubating (rc8)

- incubating in name
- signatures and hashes good
- DISCLAIMER exists
- LICENSE and NOTICE good
- All ASF files have ASF headers
- No binary files
- Can compile from source

Re: [VOTE] Apache Crail 1.1-incubating (rc8)

Felix Cheung

a few comments below, checked:
filename
signature & hash
DISCLAIMER, LICENSE, NOTICE
build from src
no binary
src files have headers (see below)

comments, not blocker for release IMO:
1.
CREDITS file is a bit non-standard in an ASF release - this is generally
not included as it is already captured in git history and SGA

2.
https://jira.apache.org/jira/projects/CRAIL/issues/CRAIL-74 is marked as
Fixed but I don't see a change in the -bin tarball?

3.
licenses/ directory do not need to include those from ASF and on Apache v2
license, eg.
apache-crail-1.1-incubating/licenses $ grep -e "Apache" *
LICENSE.commons-logging.txt: Apache License
LICENSE.commons-math3-3.1.1: Apache License

4.
Doc mentions Libdisni is a requirement - it might help to list the
supported/tested releases of Libdisni

5.
ASF header - docker/* and doc/* and conf/* can also have ASF header as
comment block - consider adding that

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 6:50 AM Adrian Schuepbach <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Please vote to approve the release of Apache Crail 1.1-incubating (rc8).
>
> The podling dev vote thread:
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@.../msg00519.html
>
> The result:
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@.../msg00526.html
>
> Commit hash: 08c75b55f7f97be869049cf80a0da5347e550a3d
>

> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-crail.git;a=commit;h=08c75b55f7f97be869049cf80a0da5347e550a3d
>

> Release files can be found at:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/crail/1.1-rc8/
>
> The Nexus Staging URL:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecrail-1007/

> https://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/crail/KEYS
>
> For information about the contents of this release, see:
>
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-crail.git;a=blob_plain;f=HISTORY.md;hb=08c75b55f7f97be869049cf80a0da5347e550a3d
> or
>
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-crail/blob/08c75b55f7f97be869049cf80a0da5347e550a3d/HISTORY.md
>
> The vote is open for at least 72 hours and passes if a majority of at
> least 3 +1 PMC votes are cast.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Crail 1.1-incubating

> Adrian

Re: [VOTE] Apache Crail 1.1-incubating (rc8)

Julian Hyde-3
+1 (binding)

Downloaded, checked signatures, LICENSE, NOTICE, DISCLAIMER, built using JDK 8 on Linux, ran apache-rat. Checked that source tar ball matches git at 08c75b55f7f97be869049cf80a0da5347e550a3d.

In binary artifacts, checked signatures, LICENSE, NOTICE, DISCLAIMER.

Julian

> On Nov 30, 2018, at 3:43 PM, Felix Cheung <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> +1 (binding)
>
> a few comments below, checked:
> filename
> signature & hash
> DISCLAIMER, LICENSE, NOTICE
> build from src
> no binary
> src files have headers (see below)
>
> comments, not blocker for release IMO:
> 1.
> CREDITS file is a bit non-standard in an ASF release - this is generally
> not included as it is already captured in git history and SGA
>
> 2.
> https://jira.apache.org/jira/projects/CRAIL/issues/CRAIL-74 is marked as
> Fixed but I don't see a change in the -bin tarball?
>
> 3.
> licenses/ directory do not need to include those from ASF and on Apache v2
> license, eg.
> apache-crail-1.1-incubating/licenses $ grep -e "Apache" *
> LICENSE.commons-logging.txt: Apache License
> LICENSE.commons-math3-3.1.1: Apache License
>
> 4.
> Doc mentions Libdisni is a requirement - it might help to list the
> supported/tested releases of Libdisni
>
> 5.
> ASF header - docker/* and doc/* and conf/* can also have ASF header as
> comment block - consider adding that
>

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 6:50 AM Adrian Schuepbach <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> Please vote to approve the release of Apache Crail 1.1-incubating (rc8).
>>
>> The podling dev vote thread:
>>
>> https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@.../msg00519.html
>>
>> The result:
>>
>> https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@.../msg00526.html
>>
>> Commit hash: 08c75b55f7f97be869049cf80a0da5347e550a3d
>>

>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-crail.git;a=commit;h=08c75b55f7f97be869049cf80a0da5347e550a3d
>>

>> Release files can be found at:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/crail/1.1-rc8/
>>
>> The Nexus Staging URL:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecrail-1007/
>>
>> Release artifacts are signed with the following key:
>> https://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/crail/KEYS
>>
>> For information about the contents of this release, see:
>>
>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-crail.git;a=blob_plain;f=HISTORY.md;hb=08c75b55f7f97be869049cf80a0da5347e550a3d
>> or
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-crail/blob/08c75b55f7f97be869049cf80a0da5347e550a3d/HISTORY.md
>>
>> The vote is open for at least 72 hours and passes if a majority of at
>> least 3 +1 PMC votes are cast.
>>
>> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Crail 1.1-incubating

>> Adrian

Re: [VOTE] Apache Crail 1.1-incubating (rc8)

Jean-Baptiste Onofré

- signatures
- LICENSE, NOTICE, DISCLAIMER files
- ASF headers
- Build

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
[hidden email]

Re: [VOTE] Apache Crail 1.1-incubating (rc8)

Jonas Pfefferle
Hi Felix

  On Fri, 30 Nov 2018 15:43:45 -0800
  Felix Cheung <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 (binding)
>
> a few comments below, checked:
> filename
> signature & hash
> DISCLAIMER, LICENSE, NOTICE
> build from src
> no binary
> src files have headers (see below)
>
> comments, not blocker for release IMO:
> 1.
> CREDITS file is a bit non-standard in an ASF release - this is
>generally
> not included as it is already captured in git history and SGA

The CREDITS was introduced for the past IBM copyright notice:
https://jira.apache.org/jira/projects/CRAIL/issues/CRAIL-33

> 2.
> https://jira.apache.org/jira/projects/CRAIL/issues/CRAIL-74 is
>marked as
>Fixed but I don't see a change in the -bin tarball?

At least on my machine the binary tarball now has a toplevel directory. Can
someone else confirm?

> 3.
> licenses/ directory do not need to include those from ASF and on
>Apache v2
> license, eg.
> apache-crail-1.1-incubating/licenses $ grep -e "Apache" *
> LICENSE.commons-logging.txt: Apache License
> LICENSE.commons-math3-3.1.1: Apache License

Makes sense, we will remove them on the next release.

> 4.
> Doc mentions Libdisni is a requirement - it might help to list the
> supported/tested releases of Libdisni

I agree, the requirements for building/running Crail need to be fixed.
What you need very much depends on which datatiers you want to run:
https://jira.apache.org/jira/projects/CRAIL/issues/CRAIL-68

> 5.
> ASF header - docker/* and doc/* and conf/* can also have ASF header
>as
> comment block - consider adding that

docker/* and doc/* do have have ASF headers, the only thing excluded are
conf/*, credits and licenses.
Not sure what the point is of putting ASF headers in configuration file
templates. I have checked multiple other projects and none had any.

Thanks,
Jonas

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 6:50 AM Adrian Schuepbach
><[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> Please vote to approve the release of Apache Crail 1.1-incubating
>>(rc8).
>>
>> The podling dev vote thread:
>>
>> https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@.../msg00519.html
>>
>> The result:
>>
>> https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@.../msg00526.html
>>
>> Commit hash: 08c75b55f7f97be869049cf80a0da5347e550a3d
>>

>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-crail.git;a=commit;h=08c75b55f7f97be869049cf80a0da5347e550a3d
>>

>> Release files can be found at:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/crail/1.1-rc8/
>>
>> The Nexus Staging URL:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecrail-1007/
>>
>> Release artifacts are signed with the following key:
>> https://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/crail/KEYS
>>
>> For information about the contents of this release, see:
>>
>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-crail.git;a=blob_plain;f=HISTORY.md;hb=08c75b55f7f97be869049cf80a0da5347e550a3d
>> or
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-crail/blob/08c75b55f7f97be869049cf80a0da5347e550a3d/HISTORY.md
>>
>> The vote is open for at least 72 hours and passes if a majority of
>>at
>> least 3 +1 PMC votes are cast.
>>
>> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Crail 1.1-incubating

>> Adrian

Re: [VOTE] Apache Crail 1.1-incubating (rc8)

Mohammad Asif Siddiqui-2
+1 (non-binding)

Checks Done :
- incubating in name
- hashes and signatures are good
- DISCLAIMER/NOTICE/LICENSE exists
- ran RAT tool  (6 template/conf files does not have ASF header, headers can be added similar to [1], non-blocker)
- checked for archive matching git tag

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-crail/blob/master/conf/core-site.xml.template#L3

Regards
Asif

On 2018/11/29 14:50:07, "Adrian Schuepbach" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Please vote to approve the release of Apache Crail 1.1-incubating (rc8).
>
> The podling dev vote thread:
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@.../msg00519.html
>
> The result:
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@.../msg00526.html
>
> Commit hash: 08c75b55f7f97be869049cf80a0da5347e550a3d
>
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-crail.git;a=commit;h=08c75b55f7f97be869049cf80a0da5347e550a3d
>

> Release files can be found at:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/crail/1.1-rc8/
>
> The Nexus Staging URL:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecrail-1007/

> https://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/crail/KEYS
>
> For information about the contents of this release, see:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-crail.git;a=blob_plain;f=HISTORY.md;hb=08c75b55f7f97be869049cf80a0da5347e550a3d
> or
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-crail/blob/08c75b55f7f97be869049cf80a0da5347e550a3d/HISTORY.md
>
> The vote is open for at least 72 hours and passes if a majority of at
> least 3 +1 PMC votes are cast.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Crail 1.1-incubating

> Adrian

Re: [VOTE] Apache Crail 1.1-incubating (rc8)

Felix Cheung
Thanks for getting back to me Jonas.

Maybe I didn’t get the change in CRAIL-74. btw some of the JIRAs do not
have links to github PR?

Rat- yes thanks I think I was looking at a older change. I double check and
see the Pom file rat exclusion does not include docker or doc

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 12:29 AM Jonas Pfefferle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecrail-1007/
> >>
> >> Release artifacts are signed with the following key:
> >> https://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/crail/KEYS
> >>
> >> For information about the contents of this release, see:
> >>

> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-crail.git;a=blob_plain;f=HISTORY.md;hb=08c75b55f7f97be869049cf80a0da5347e550a3d
> >> or
> >>

> https://github.com/apache/incubator-crail/blob/08c75b55f7f97be869049cf80a0da5347e550a3d/HISTORY.md
> >>
> >> The vote is open for at least 72 hours and passes if a majority of
> >>at
> >> least 3 +1 PMC votes are cast.
> >>
> >> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Crail 1.1-incubating
> >> [ ] -1 Do not release this package because ...
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Adrian

Re: [VOTE] Apache Crail 1.1-incubating (rc8)

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 19:09:36 -0800
  Felix Cheung <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for getting back to me Jonas.
>
> Maybe I didn’t get the change in CRAIL-74. btw some of the JIRAs do
>not
> have links to github PR?

Yes that is unfortunate. The commits probably did not have links to the JIRA
issue.
We will make sure that in the future when we close them there is always a PR
assigned.

Thanks,
Jonas