[VOTE] Accept Pinot into Apache Incubator

[VOTE] Accept Pinot into Apache Incubator

kishore g-2
Hi all,

I would like to call a VOTE to accept Pinot into the Apache Incubator. The
full proposal is available on the wiki
<https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/PinotProposal>

Please cast your vote:

  [ ] +1, bring Pinot into Incubator
  [ ] +0, I don't care either way,
  [ ] -1, do not bring Pinot into Incubator, because...

The vote will open at least for 72 hours and only votes from the Incubator
PMC are binding.

Thanks,
Kishore G

Discussion thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/8119f9478ea1811371f1bf6685290b22b57b1a3e0849d1d778d77dcb@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org

= Pinot Proposal =

== Abstract ==

Pinot is a distributed columnar storage engine that can ingest data in
real-time and serve analytical queries at low latency. There are two modes
of data ingestion - batch and/or realtime. Batch mode allows users to
generate pinot segments externally using systems such as Hadoop. These
segments can be uploaded into Pinot via simple curl calls. Pinot can ingest
data in near real-time from streaming sources such as Kafka. Data ingested
into Pinot is stored in a columnar format. Pinot provides a SQL like
interface (PQL) that supports filters, aggregations, and group by
operations. It does not support joins by design, in order to guarantee
predictable latency. It leverages other Apache projects such as Zookeeper,
Kafka, and Helix, along with many libraries from the ASF.

== Proposal ==

Pinot was open sourced by LinkedIn and hosted on GitHub. Majority of the
development happens at LinkedIn with other contributions from Uber and
Slack. We believe that being a part of Apache Software Foundation will
improve the diversity and help form a strong community around the project.

LinkedIn submits this proposal to donate the code base to Apache Software
Foundation. The code is already under Apache License 2.0.  Code and the
documentation are hosted on Github.
 * Code: http://github.com/linkedin/pinot
 * Documentation: https://github.com/linkedin/pinot/wiki

== Background ==

LinkedIn, similar to other companies, has many applications that provide
rich real-time insights to members and customers (internal and external).
The workload characteristics for these applications vary a lot. Some
internal applications simply need ad-hoc query capabilities with sub-second
to multiple seconds latency. But external site facing applications require
strong SLA even very high workloads. Prior to Pinot, LinkedIn had multiple
solutions depending on the workload generated by the application and this
was inefficient. Pinot was developed to be the one single platform that
addresses all classes of applications. Today at LinkedIn, Pinot powers more
than 50 site facing products with workload ranging from few queries per
second to 1000’s of queries per second while maintaining the 99th
percentile latency which can be as low as few milliseconds. All internal
dashboards at LinkedIn are powered by Pinot.

== Rationale ==

We believe that requirement to develop rich real-time analytic applications
is applicable to other organizations. Both Pinot and the interested
communities would benefit from this work being openly available.

== Current Status ==

Pinot is currently open sourced under the Apache License Version 2.0 and
available at github.com/linkedin/pinot. All the development is done using
GitHub Pull Requests. We cut releases on a weekly basis and deploy it at
LinkedIn. mp-0.1.468 is the latest release tag that is deployed in
production.

== Meritocracy ==

Following the Apache meritocracy model, we intend to build an open and
diverse community around Pinot. We will encourage the community to
contribute to discussion and codebase.

== Community ==

Pinot is currently used extensively at LinkedIn and Uber. Several companies
have expressed interest in the project. We hope to extend the contributor
base significantly by bringing Pinot into Apache.

== Core Developers ==

Pinot was started by engineers at LinkedIn, and now has committers from
Uber.

== Alignment ==

Apache is the most natural home for taking Pinot forward. Pinot leverages
several existing Apache Projects such as Kafka, Helix, Zookeeper, and Avro.
As Pinot gains adoption, we plan to add support for the ORC and Parquet
formats, as well as adding integration with Yarn and Mesos.

== Known Risks ==

=== Orphaned Products ===

The risk of the Pinot project being abandoned is minimal. The teams at
LinkedIn and Uber are highly incentivized to continue development of Pinot
as it is a critical part of their infrastructure.

=== Inexperience with Open Source ===

Post open sourcing, Pinot was completely developed on GitHub. All the
current developers on Pinot are well aware of the open source development
process. However, most of the developers are new to the Apache process.
Kishore Gopalakrishna, one of the lead developers in Pinot, is VP and
committer of the Apache Helix project.

=== Homogenous Developers ===

The current core developers are all from LinkedIn and Uber. However, we
hope to establish a developer community that includes contributors from
several corporations and we are actively encouraging new contributors via
the mailing lists and public presentations of Pinot.

=== Reliance on Salaried Developers ===

It is expected that Pinot development will occur on both salaried time and
on volunteer time, after hours. The majority of initial committers are paid
by their employer to contribute to this project. However, they are all
passionate about the project, and we are confident that the project will
continue even if no salaried developers contribute to the project. We are
committed to recruiting additional committers including non-salaried
developers.

=== Relationships with Other Apache Products ===

As mentioned earlier, Pinot uses several Apache Projects such as Kafka to
ingest data in real-time, Zookeeper and Helix for cluster management. Pinot
also uses Maven for build and release. We foresee adding support for the
Parquet and ORC formats. Adding the ability to deploy on Yarn and Mesos
clusters is another interesting project we might pursue.

=== An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ===

While we respect the reputation of the Apache brand and have no doubts that
it will attract contributors and users, we believe ASF is the right home
for Pinot to foster a great community that will lead to a better outcome in
the long term.

== Documentation ==

 * Code: https://github.com/linkedin/pinot/
 * Documentation: https://github.com/linkedin/pinot/wiki
 * User group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/pinot_users

== Initial Source ==

The current Pinot codebase is hosted on Github and licensed under the
Apache License V2. The source tree is self contained and relies on Maven as
its build and dependency resolution mechanism.

== External Dependencies ==

All dependencies in Pinot have licenses that are compatible with Apache
License V2, except for the org.json library, which will be removed prior to
Apache incubation. The list below summarizes the external dependencies of
Pinot grouped by license and ASF license category.

Dependencies from the ASF Category A
=== Apache License 2.0 ===
 * com.101tec:zkclient:0.7
 * com.alibaba:fastjson:1.1.24
 * com.clearspring.analytics:stream:2.7.0
 * com.fasterxml.jackson.core:jackson-annotations:2.8.0
 * com.fasterxml.jackson.core:jackson-core:2.8.0
 * com.fasterxml.jackson.core:jackson-databind:2.8.0
 * com.google.code.findbugs:jsr305:3.0.0
 * com.google.guava:guava:19
 * com.ning:async-http-client:1.9.21
 * com.yammer.metrics:metrics-core:2.2.0
 * commons-beanutils:commons-beanutils:1.8.3
 * commons-cli:commons-cli:1.2
 * commons-codec:commons-codec:1.6
 * commons-configuration:commons-configuration:1.6
 * commons-fileupload:commons-fileupload:1.2.2
 * commons-httpclient:commons-httpclient:3.1
 * commons-io:commons-io:2.1
 * commons-validator:commons-validator:1.4.0
 * io.netty:netty-all:4.1.4.Final
 * io.swagger:swagger-jaxrs:1.5.10
 * io.swagger:swagger-jersey2-jaxrs:1.5.10
 * it.unimi.dsi:fastutil:6.5.16
 * joda-time:joda-time:2
 * log4j:log4j:1.2.17
 * me.lemire.integercompression:JavaFastPFOR:0.0.13
 * nl.jqno.equalsverifier:equalsverifier:1.7.2
 * org.apache.avro:avro:1.7.6
 * org.apache.commons:commons-compress:1.9
 * org.apache.commons:commons-lang3:3.5
 * org.apache.commons:commons-math:2.1
 * org.apache.hadoop:hadoop-client:2.7.0
 * org.apache.hadoop:hadoop-common:2.7.0
 * org.apache.helix:helix-core:0.6.8
 * org.apache.httpcomponents:httpclient:4.1.3
 * org.apache.httpcomponents:httpclient:4.2.5
 * org.apache.httpcomponents:httpcore:4.2.5
 * org.apache.httpcomponents:httpmime:4.2.5
 * org.apache.kafka:kafka_2.10:0.9.0.1
 * org.apache.thrift:libthrift:0.9.1
 * org.apache.zookeeper:zookeeper:3.4.9
 * org.codehaus.jackson:jackson-core-asl:1.9.6
 * org.codehaus.jackson:jackson-mapper-asl:1.9.6
 * org.json:json:20080701
 * org.roaringbitmap:RoaringBitmap:0.5.10
 * org.testng:testng:6.0.1
 * org.twitter4j:twitter4j-core:4.0.3
 * org.webjars:swagger-ui:2.2.2
 * org.xerial.larray:larray:0.2.1
 * org.yaml:snakeyaml:1.16
 * xml-apis:xml-apis:1.0.b2
=== Dual license (Apache License 2.0 + LGPL 2.1), using under the Apache
License ===
 * org.codehaus.jackson:jackson-jaxrs:1.9.6
 * org.codehaus.jackson:jackson-xc:1.9.6
=== BSD ===
 * com.jcabi:jcabi-log:0.17.1
 * org.antlr:antlr4-annotations:4.3
 * org.antlr:antlr4-runtime:4.3
=== MIT ===
 * com.github.nkzawa:socket.io-client:0.5.1
 * org.mockito:mockito-core:2.10.0
 * org.slf4j:slf4j-api:1.7.7
 * org.slf4j:slf4j-log4j12:1.7.7

=== Dependencies from the ASF Category B ===
Dual license (CDDL 1.1 + GPL 2 w/ CPE), using under the CDDL
 * com.sun.jersey:jersey-client:1.19.2
 * javax.servlet:javax.servlet-api:3.0.1
 * org.glassfish.jersey.containers:jersey-container-grizzly2-http:2.23
 * org.glassfish.jersey.core:jersey-common:2.23
 * org.glassfish.jersey.core:jersey-server:2.23
 * org.glassfish.jersey.media:jersey-media-json-jackson:2.24
 * org.glassfish.jersey.media:jersey-media-multipart:2.23

=== Dependencies from the ASF Category X ===
JSON License
 * org.json:json:20080701 (to be removed before Apache incubation)

== Cryptography ==

None

== Required Resources ==

=== Mailing lists ===

 * pinot-private (with moderated subscriptions)
 * pinot-user
 * pinot-dev
 * pinot-commits

=== Git repository ===

 * git://git.apache.org/pinot
 * https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-pinot.git

=== Issue Tracking ===

A JIRA Issue tracker (PINOT)

=== Other Resources ===

The existing code already has unit and integration tests and we use travis
to test the patch before committing it to master. We would like to have an
instance of Jenkins to achieve similar functionality.

== Initial Committers ==

 * Kishore Gopalakrishna
 * Ravi Aringunram
 * Jean-François Im
 * Mayank Shrivastava
 * Subbu Subramaniam
 * Adwait Tumbde
 * Xiaotian Jiang
 * Jennifer Dai
 * Seunghyun Lee
 * Xiang Fu
 * Dhaval Patel
 * Neha Pawar
 * Alex Pucher
 * Yen-Jung Chang

== Affiliations  ==

 * Kishore Gopalakrishna (LinkedIn)
 * Ravi Aringunram (LinkedIn)
 * Jean-François Im (LinkedIn)
 * Mayank Shrivastava (LinkedIn)
 * Subbu Subramaniam (LinkedIn)
 * Adwait Tumbde (LinkedIn)
 * Xiaotian Jiang (LinkedIn)
 * Jennifer Dai (LinkedIn)
 * Seunghyun Lee (LinkedIn)
 * Xiang Fu (Uber)
 * Dhaval Patel (Uber)
 * Neha Pawar (LinkedIn)
 * Alex Pucher (LinkedIn)
 * Yen-Jung Chang (LinkedIn)
 * Marcel Siegrist

== Sponsors ==

=== Champion ===

 * Olivier Lamy < olamy at apache dot org>

=== Nominated Mentors ===

 * Olivier Lamy <olamy at apache dot org>
 * Kishore Gopalakrishna < kishoreg at apache dot org>
 *

=== Sponsoring Entity ===

The Apache Incubator

Re: [VOTE] Accept Pinot into Apache Incubator

Olivier Lamy
+1

Olivier Lamy

Re: [VOTE] Accept Pinot into Apache Incubator

kishore g-2
Added Jim Jagielski to the mentor's list.

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 6:35 PM, Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >  * Xiaotian Jiang (LinkedIn)
> >  * Jennifer Dai (LinkedIn)
> >  * Seunghyun Lee (LinkedIn)
> >  * Xiang Fu (Uber)
> >  * Dhaval Patel (Uber)
> >  * Neha Pawar (LinkedIn)
> >  * Alex Pucher (LinkedIn)
> >  * Yen-Jung Chang (LinkedIn)
> >  * Marcel Siegrist
> >
> > == Sponsors ==
> >
> > === Champion ===
> >
> >  * Olivier Lamy < olamy at apache dot org>
> >
> > === Nominated Mentors ===
> >
> >  * Olivier Lamy <olamy at apache dot org>
> >  * Kishore Gopalakrishna < kishoreg at apache dot org>
> >  *
> >
> > === Sponsoring Entity ===
> >
> > The Apache Incubator
> >

> --
> Olivier Lamy
> http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

Re: [VOTE] Accept Pinot into Apache Incubator

Carl Steinbach
+1 (binding)

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018, 7:29 PM kishore g <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > >  * Xiaotian Jiang (LinkedIn)
> > >  * Jennifer Dai (LinkedIn)
> > >  * Seunghyun Lee (LinkedIn)
> > >  * Xiang Fu (Uber)
> > >  * Dhaval Patel (Uber)
> > >  * Neha Pawar (LinkedIn)
> > >  * Alex Pucher (LinkedIn)
> > >  * Yen-Jung Chang (LinkedIn)
> > >  * Marcel Siegrist
> > >
> > > == Sponsors ==
> > >
> > > === Champion ===
> > >
> > >  * Olivier Lamy < olamy at apache dot org>
> > >
> > > === Nominated Mentors ===
> > >
> > >  * Olivier Lamy <olamy at apache dot org>
> > >  * Kishore Gopalakrishna < kishoreg at apache dot org>
> > >  *
> > >
> > > === Sponsoring Entity ===
> > >
> > > The Apache Incubator
> > >

> > --
> > Olivier Lamy
> > http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

Re: [VOTE] Accept Pinot into Apache Incubator

Julian Hyde-3
+1 (binding)

Ironic that Druid — a similar project — has just entered incubation too. But of course that is not a conflict. Both are great projects. Good luck!

Julian

> On Mar 9, 2018, at 7:37 PM, Carl Steinbach <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> +1 (binding)
>
> On Fri, Mar 9, 2018, 7:29 PM kishore g <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Added Jim Jagielski to the mentor's list.
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 6:35 PM, Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> +1

>>> The

>>> Incubator

>>> modes
>>> ingest
>>> ingested
>>> Zookeeper,

>> the
>>> project.

>> Software

>> provide
>> external).
>>> sub-second
>>> require
>>> multiple
>> this
>>> more
>> internal

>>> applications

>> and
>>> using
>> at

>>> companies
>> contributor

>> leverages
>>> Avro.

>>> Pinot

>> development

>> via

>>> and
>>> paid
>> will
>> are

>>> Pinot
>> the

>>> that
>> home
>> outcome
>>> in

>> Maven
>>> as

>> prior
>> of

>> Apache

>>> travis
>>> an

>>> --
>>> Olivier Lamy
>>> http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

Re: [VOTE] Accept Pinot into Apache Incubator

Pierre Smits-2
+1

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

V.P. Apache Trafodion

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 12:59 AM, Julian Hyde <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 (binding)
>
> Ironic that Druid — a similar project — has just entered incubation too.
> But of course that is not a conflict. Both are great projects. Good luck!
>
> Julian
>

> > On Mar 9, 2018, at 7:37 PM, Carl Steinbach <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > +1 (binding)
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 9, 2018, 7:29 PM kishore g <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Added Jim Jagielski to the mentor's list.

> >> the

> >> Software
> the

> >> provide
> >> external).
> >> this
> that
> per
> >> internal

> >> and
> >> at

> >> contributor

> from

> >> leverages
> Parquet

> >> development
> process.

> we
> from
> >> via

> >> will
> >> are

> >> the
> Mesos

> >> home
> >> outcome

> >> Maven

> Apache
> >> prior
> >> of

> >> Apache

> have

Re: [VOTE] Accept Pinot into Apache Incubator

Willem Jiang
+1 (binding)

Willem Jiang

Blog: http://willemjiang.blogspot.com (English)
          http://jnn.iteye.com  (Chinese)
Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 7:51 PM, Pierre Smits <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> +1
>

> Best regards,
>
> Pierre Smits
>
> V.P. Apache Trafodion
>
> On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 12:59 AM, Julian Hyde <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > +1 (binding)
> >
> > Ironic that Druid — a similar project — has just entered incubation too.
> > But of course that is not a conflict. Both are great projects. Good luck!
> >
> > Julian
> >

> > > On Mar 9, 2018, at 7:37 PM, Carl Steinbach <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > +1 (binding)

> Incubator.

> in
> These
> guarantee

> and
> will

> > the

> > that
> powers
> > per

> it

> and

> > from

> and
> > Parquet

> at

> the
> > process.
> and

> > we
> > from
> contributors

> time
> are
> all
> We

> Kafka
> management.
> > Mesos

> doubts

> the

> > Apache
> dependencies

> grizzly2-http:2.23

> > have

Re: [VOTE] Accept Pinot into Apache Incubator

Felix Cheung
+1

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 5:34 AM Willem Jiang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>

> Willem Jiang
>
> Blog: http://willemjiang.blogspot.com (English)
>           http://jnn.iteye.com  (Chinese)
> Twitter: willemjiang
> Weibo: 姜宁willem
>
> On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 7:51 PM, Pierre Smits <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > +1
> >

> > Best regards,
> >
> > Pierre Smits
> >
> > V.P. Apache Trafodion
> >
> > On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 12:59 AM, Julian Hyde <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > +1 (binding)
> > >
> > > Ironic that Druid — a similar project — has just entered incubation
> too.
> > > But of course that is not a conflict. Both are great projects. Good
> luck!
> > >
> > > Julian

> > Incubator.

> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/8119f9478ea1811371f1bf6685290b

> data
> > in
> two
> > These
> can
> like
> > guarantee

> of
> > and
> > will

> and
> > > the

> Some
> and
> > > that
> > powers
> queries
> > > per

> interested

> 2.0
> done
> > it

> > and

> > > from

> > and
> > > Parquet

> teams
> > at
> of

> > the
> > > process.
> > and

> However,
> > > we
> > > from
> > contributors

> > time
> > are
> > all
> project
> > We
> non-salaried

> > Kafka
> > management.
> for
> > > Mesos

> > doubts
> right

> > the

> > > Apache
> > dependencies

> > grizzly2-http:2.23

> use
> > > have

Re: [VOTE] Accept Pinot into Apache Incubator

Kevin A. McGrail-2
+1 binding.  Apologies if this is a dupe.  I thought I voted days ago.

On Mar 9, 2018 02:11, "kishore g" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>  * Jean-François Im (LinkedIn)
>  * Mayank Shrivastava (LinkedIn)
>  * Subbu Subramaniam (LinkedIn)
>  * Adwait Tumbde (LinkedIn)
>  * Xiaotian Jiang (LinkedIn)
>  * Jennifer Dai (LinkedIn)
>  * Seunghyun Lee (LinkedIn)
>  * Xiang Fu (Uber)
>  * Dhaval Patel (Uber)
>  * Neha Pawar (LinkedIn)
>  * Alex Pucher (LinkedIn)
>  * Yen-Jung Chang (LinkedIn)
>  * Marcel Siegrist
>
> == Sponsors ==
>
> === Champion ===
>
>  * Olivier Lamy < olamy at apache dot org>
>
> === Nominated Mentors ===
>
>  * Olivier Lamy <olamy at apache dot org>
>  * Kishore Gopalakrishna < kishoreg at apache dot org>
>  *
>
> === Sponsoring Entity ===
>
> The Apache Incubator

Re: [VOTE] Accept Pinot into Apache Incubator

@Kishore I guess we have enough votes so maybe we can close the vote and
start the process?

--
Olivier Lamy