UNICEF Open Source project- Apache Foundation

UNICEF Open Source project- Apache Foundation

Ariam Mogos
Hi there,

I work in UNICEF’s Office of Innovation and was hoping to speak to someone about a fantastic open source project in which we’re interested in working with the Apache Foundation.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best,
Ariam

---------------------------------
Ariam Mogos
Learning Lead
UNICEF Ventures
Office of Innovation
skype: ariammogos
mobile: +1 917-974-5997<tel:%28917%29%20974-5997>

www.unicefstories.org<http://www.unicefstories.org/>
www.unicefinnovationfund.org<http://www.unicefinnovationfund.org/>

Re: UNICEF Open Source project- Apache Foundation

kellen sunderland
Hello Ariam, reading through the sites in your signature it looks like
you're doing interesting work.  I'm always happy to see governments and
NGOs using / contributing to open source.

Speaking for myself, I would be happy to set aside some time to chat.  At
Apache we do try to keep as much communication as possible on public email
lists.  Would you be able to give a little more detail about your project
via this list?  Were you interested in collaborating with Apache?  Did you
want to participate in the Apache Incubator program?

-Kellen

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 9:42 AM Ariam Mogos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I work in UNICEF’s Office of Innovation and was hoping to speak to someone
> about a fantastic open source project in which we’re interested in working
> with the Apache Foundation.
>
> Look forward to hearing from you.
>
> Best,
> Ariam
>
> ---------------------------------
> Ariam Mogos
> Learning Lead
> UNICEF Ventures
> Office of Innovation
> skype: ariammogos
> mobile: +1 917-974-5997<tel:%28917%29%20974-5997>
>
> www.unicefstories.org<http://www.unicefstories.org/>
> www.unicefinnovationfund.org<http://www.unicefinnovationfund.org/>

Re: UNICEF Open Source project- Apache Foundation

Dave Fisher-5
Exactly as Kellen describes!

If for whatever reason you require an offline discussion to start then I’m sure someone here may be willing to “champion” your proposal.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 27, 2018, at 9:43 PM, kellen sunderland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Ariam, reading through the sites in your signature it looks like
> you're doing interesting work.  I'm always happy to see governments and
> NGOs using / contributing to open source.
>
> Speaking for myself, I would be happy to set aside some time to chat.  At
> Apache we do try to keep as much communication as possible on public email
> lists.  Would you be able to give a little more detail about your project
> via this list?  Were you interested in collaborating with Apache?  Did you
> want to participate in the Apache Incubator program?
>
> -Kellen
>
>> On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 9:42 AM Ariam Mogos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I work in UNICEF’s Office of Innovation and was hoping to speak to someone
>> about a fantastic open source project in which we’re interested in working
>> with the Apache Foundation.
>>
>> Look forward to hearing from you.
>>
>> Best,
>> Ariam
>>
>> ---------------------------------
>> Ariam Mogos
>> Learning Lead
>> UNICEF Ventures
>> Office of Innovation
>> skype: ariammogos
>> mobile: +1 917-974-5997<tel:%28917%29%20974-5997>
>>
>> www.unicefstories.org<http://www.unicefstories.org/>
>> www.unicefinnovationfund.org<http://www.unicefinnovationfund.org/>

Re: UNICEF Open Source project- Apache Foundation

Kevin A. McGrail-2
In addition to the list responses, I'm happy to chat especially with my VP
Fundraising duties. Love UNICEF and love what you do especially around
Halloween.  Happy to jump on a call and give you some guidance!

Regards,
KAM
--
Kevin A. McGrail
VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 1:39 AM Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Exactly as Kellen describes!
>
> If for whatever reason you require an offline discussion to start then I’m
> sure someone here may be willing to “champion” your proposal.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Oct 27, 2018, at 9:43 PM, kellen sunderland <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Ariam, reading through the sites in your signature it looks like
> > you're doing interesting work.  I'm always happy to see governments and
> > NGOs using / contributing to open source.
> >
> > Speaking for myself, I would be happy to set aside some time to chat.  At
> > Apache we do try to keep as much communication as possible on public
> email
> > lists.  Would you be able to give a little more detail about your project
> > via this list?  Were you interested in collaborating with Apache?  Did
> you
> > want to participate in the Apache Incubator program?
> >
> > -Kellen
> >
> >> On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 9:42 AM Ariam Mogos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi there,
> >>
> >> I work in UNICEF’s Office of Innovation and was hoping to speak to
> someone
> >> about a fantastic open source project in which we’re interested in
> working
> >> with the Apache Foundation.
> >>
> >> Look forward to hearing from you.
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Ariam
> >>
> >> ---------------------------------
> >> Ariam Mogos
> >> Learning Lead
> >> UNICEF Ventures
> >> Office of Innovation
> >> skype: ariammogos
> >> mobile: +1 917-974-5997<tel:%28917%29%20974-5997>
> >>
> >> www.unicefstories.org<http://www.unicefstories.org/>
> >> www.unicefinnovationfund.org<http://www.unicefinnovationfund.org/>

Re: UNICEF Open Source project- Apache Foundation

Jim Jagielski
Hello there! I would be quite willing to chat. My personal cell is +1 (443) 324-8390.

> On Oct 26, 2018, at 1:59 PM, Ariam Mogos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
> I work in UNICEF’s Office of Innovation and was hoping to speak to someone about a fantastic open source project in which we’re interested in working with the Apache Foundation.
>
> Look forward to hearing from you.
>
> Best,
> Ariam
>
> ---------------------------------
> Ariam Mogos
> Learning Lead
> UNICEF Ventures
> Office of Innovation
> skype: ariammogos
> mobile: +1 917-974-5997<tel:%28917%29%20974-5997>
>
> www.unicefstories.org<http://www.unicefstories.org/>
> www.unicefinnovationfund.org<http://www.unicefinnovationfund.org/>

Re: UNICEF Open Source project- Apache Foundation

Ariam Mogos
Thanks so much Kellen, Dave and Kevin!
(copying Aditi from our partnerships team)
(copying David Banes and EA Draffan, two of our advisors on AAC)

Yes we’d be interested in collaborating with Apache and learning more about the incubator program.

We’re very excited to share about this project. I’ve created a google doc with some information here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fMY5_YgqqE5VfqNCDwQ0HQe8ozkz1v7kpjQpimVsjuI/edit

Please feel free to leave any comments, questions, recommendations in the document.

Cheers,
Ariam

From: "Kevin A. McGrail" <[hidden email]>
Date: Sunday, October 28, 2018 at 4:51 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Cc: Ariam Mogos <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: UNICEF Open Source project- Apache Foundation

For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: UNICEF Open Source project- Apache Foundation

Kevin A. McGrail-2
Thanks Ariam,

I have a child with Autism so this is very interesting to me and I also
helped found the largest support group in the Washington DC area.  I
have done grants for curriculum to teach children with autism to swim
with Autism Speaks and I can talk intelligently about AT/PECS.  We also
just had our keynote from Cliff Schmidt at Amplio which has some
crossover.  Anyway, enough about me, I'd like to setup a call, nothing
long and talk about our incubator and how we work/what we do.

Regards,
KAM

--
Kevin A. McGrail
VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation
https://www.linkedin.com/in/kmcgrail - 703.798.0171

Re: UNICEF Open Source project- Apache Foundation

Deepak Nair
I would also like to contribute. How do I join in.

Thanks
Deepak

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018, 1:48 PM Kevin A. McGrail <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >     >> UNICEF Ventures
> >     >> Office of Innovation
> >     >> skype: ariammogos
> >     >> mobile: +1 917-974-5997<tel:%28917%29%20974-5997>
> >     >>
> >     >> www.unicefstories.org
> >     <http://www.unicefstories.org><http://www.unicefstories.org/>
> >     >> www.unicefinnovationfund.org
> >     <http://www.unicefinnovationfund.org><
> http://www.unicefinnovationfund.org/>
> >     >>
> >     >>

> >     <mailto:[hidden email]>
> >     For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
> >     <mailto:[hidden email]>
> >

> --
> Kevin A. McGrail
> VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation
> Chair Emeritus Apache SpamAssassin Project
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/kmcgrail - 703.798.0171

Re: UNICEF Open Source project- Apache Foundation

Thanks Kevin, that would be terrific. Are you based in DC?

David and I will be there next week. I wonder if an in-person meeting might be possible? If not, how about setting up a call on Thursday of this week?

Best,
Ariam

From: "Kevin A. McGrail" <[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]>
Date: Sunday, October 28, 2018 at 4:51 PM
To: "[hidden email]"<mailto:[hidden email]> <[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]>
Cc: Ariam Mogos <[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]>

In addition to the list responses, I'm happy to chat especially with my VP Fundraising duties. Love UNICEF and love what you do especially around Halloween.  Happy to jump on a call and give you some guidance!

Regards,
KAM
--
Kevin A. McGrail
VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation
https://www.linkedin.com/in/kmcgrail - 703.798.0171

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 1:39 AM Dave Fisher <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
Exactly as Kellen describes!

If for whatever reason you require an offline discussion to start then I’m sure someone here may be willing to “champion” your proposal.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 27, 2018, at 9:43 PM, kellen sunderland <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> Hello Ariam, reading through the sites in your signature it looks like
> you're doing interesting work.  I'm always happy to see governments and
> NGOs using / contributing to open source.
>
> Speaking for myself, I would be happy to set aside some time to chat.  At
> Apache we do try to keep as much communication as possible on public email
> lists.  Would you be able to give a little more detail about your project
> via this list?  Were you interested in collaborating with Apache?  Did you
> want to participate in the Apache Incubator program?
>
> -Kellen
>
>> On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 9:42 AM Ariam Mogos <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I work in UNICEF’s Office of Innovation and was hoping to speak to someone
>> about a fantastic open source project in which we’re interested in working
>> with the Apache Foundation.
>>
>> Look forward to hearing from you.
>>
>> Best,
>> Ariam
>>
>> ---------------------------------
>> Ariam Mogos
>> Learning Lead
>> UNICEF Ventures
>> Office of Innovation
>> skype: ariammogos
>> mobile: +1 917-974-5997<tel:%28917%29%20974-5997><tel:%28917%29%20974-5997>
>>
>> www.unicefstories.org<http://www.unicefstories.org><http://www.unicefstories.org/>
>> www.unicefinnovationfund.org<http://www.unicefinnovationfund.org><http://www.unicefinnovationfund.org/>

For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

--

Kevin A. McGrail

VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation

https://www.linkedin.com/in/kmcgrail - 703.798.0171

RE: UNICEF Open Source project- Apache Foundation

david-2
Just to quickly introduce EA and myself – we work together in a not for profit at globalsymbols.com

We are very much committed to both open licence and working in the open, and have a special interest in seeking to ensure that AAC reaches those communities that have been most under served in this field

One of our first projects was in the Middle East where we collaborated to develop Tawasol, the Arabic open symbol set, designed to reflect both language and culture within the Middle East and especially the gulf. To do that we created a system that democratised symbol design, allowing a range of stakeholder to determine the design and selection of symbols to represent concepts.

Very much hope to continue discussions together about collaboration around the paper Ariam has distributed

Best regards

David

From: "Kevin A. McGrail"  <mailto:[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>
Date: Sunday, October 28, 2018 at 4:51 PM
To:  <mailto:[hidden email]> "[hidden email]"  <mailto:[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>
Cc: Ariam Mogos  <mailto:[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>

 <https://www.linkedin.com/in/kmcgrail> https://www.linkedin.com/in/kmcgrail - 703.798.0171

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 1:39 AM Dave Fisher <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> > wrote:

Exactly as Kellen describes!

If for whatever reason you require an offline discussion to start then I’m sure someone here may be willing to “champion” your proposal.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 27, 2018, at 9:43 PM, kellen sunderland <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> > wrote:
>
> Hello Ariam, reading through the sites in your signature it looks like
> you're doing interesting work.  I'm always happy to see governments and
> NGOs using / contributing to open source.
>
> Speaking for myself, I would be happy to set aside some time to chat.  At
> Apache we do try to keep as much communication as possible on public email
> lists.  Would you be able to give a little more detail about your project
> via this list?  Were you interested in collaborating with Apache?  Did you
> want to participate in the Apache Incubator program?
>
> -Kellen
>
>> On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 9:42 AM Ariam Mogos <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> > wrote:
>>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I work in UNICEF’s Office of Innovation and was hoping to speak to someone
>> about a fantastic open source project in which we’re interested in working
>> with the Apache Foundation.
>>
>> Look forward to hearing from you.
>>
>> Best,
>> Ariam
>>
>> ---------------------------------
>> Ariam Mogos
>> Learning Lead
>> UNICEF Ventures
>> Office of Innovation
>> skype: ariammogos
>> mobile: +1 917-974-5997 <tel:%28917%29%20974-5997> <tel:%28917%29%20974-5997>
>>
>> www.unicefstories.org <http://www.unicefstories.org> <http://www.unicefstories.org/>
>> www.unicefinnovationfund.org <http://www.unicefinnovationfund.org> <http://www.unicefinnovationfund.org/>

For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

--
Kevin A. McGrail
VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation
https://www.linkedin.com/in/kmcgrail - 703.798.0171

Re: UNICEF Open Source project- Apache Foundation

Kevin A. McGrail-2
Thanks David for the introduction.  Ariam, I am located in Fairfax so a
meeting in DC is more than possible.

Can I give you a call to coordinate?  If so, what's a good number to reach
you?
--

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 4:57 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just to quickly introduce EA and myself – we work together in a not for
> profit at globalsymbols.com
>

> We are very much committed to both open licence and working in the open,
> and have a special interest in seeking to ensure that AAC reaches those
> communities that have been most under served in this field
>

> One of our first projects was in the Middle East where we collaborated to
> develop Tawasol, the Arabic open symbol set, designed to reflect both
> language and culture within the Middle East and especially the gulf. To do
> that we created a system that democratised symbol design, allowing a range
> of stakeholder to determine the design and selection of symbols to
> represent concepts.
>

> Very much hope to continue discussions together about collaboration around
> the paper Ariam has distributed
>

> Best regards
>

> David

Thanks Ariam, got your v/m.  Feel free to call me back at 703 798 0171.
--

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 11:44 AM Ariam Mogos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sure, sounds good Kevin. You can reach me at 917.974.5997.
>

> *From: *"Kevin A. McGrail" <[hidden email]>
> *Date: *Monday, October 29, 2018 at 6:27 PM
> *To: *"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> *Cc: *Ariam Mogos <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <
> [hidden email]>, Aditi Poddar <[hidden email]>, "
> [hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> *Subject: *Re: UNICEF Open Source project- Apache Foundation
>

> Thanks David for the introduction.  Ariam, I am located in Fairfax so a
> meeting in DC is more than possible.
>

> Can I give you a call to coordinate?  If so, what's a good number to reach
> you?
>
> --
>
> Kevin A. McGrail
>
> VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation
>
> Chair Emeritus Apache SpamAssassin Project
>
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/kmcgrail - 703.798.0171
>

> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 4:57 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just to quickly introduce EA and myself – we work together in a not for
> profit at globalsymbols.com
>

> We are very much committed to both open licence and working in the open,
> and have a special interest in seeking to ensure that AAC reaches those
> communities that have been most under served in this field
>

> One of our first projects was in the Middle East where we collaborated to
> develop Tawasol, the Arabic open symbol set, designed to reflect both
> language and culture within the Middle East and especially the gulf. To do
> that we created a system that democratised symbol design, allowing a range
> of stakeholder to determine the design and selection of symbols to
> represent concepts.
>

> Very much hope to continue discussions together about collaboration around
> the paper Ariam has distributed
>

> Best regards
>

> David

Hi Ariam, I got your voicemail again  Feel free to ping me back at
703.798.0171 and we can coordinate a face to face meeting.  Regards,
KAM
--
Kevin A. McGrail
VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation
https://www.linkedin.com/in/kmcgrail - 703.798.0171

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 12:57 PM Kevin A. McGrail <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanks Ariam, got your v/m.  Feel free to call me back at 703 798 0171.
> --
> Kevin A. McGrail
> VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation
> Chair Emeritus Apache SpamAssassin Project
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/kmcgrail - 703.798.0171
>

> On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 11:44 AM Ariam Mogos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Sure, sounds good Kevin. You can reach me at 917.974.5997.
>>

>> *From: *"Kevin A. McGrail" <[hidden email]>
>> *Date: *Monday, October 29, 2018 at 6:27 PM
>> *To: *"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
>> *Cc: *Ariam Mogos <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <
>> [hidden email]>, Aditi Poddar <[hidden email]>, "
>> [hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
>> *Subject: *Re: UNICEF Open Source project- Apache Foundation
>>

>> Thanks David for the introduction.  Ariam, I am located in Fairfax so a
>> meeting in DC is more than possible.
>>

>> Can I give you a call to coordinate?  If so, what's a good number to
>> reach you?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Kevin A. McGrail
>>
>> VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation
>>
>> Chair Emeritus Apache SpamAssassin Project
>>
>> https://www.linkedin.com/in/kmcgrail - 703.798.0171
>>

>> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 4:57 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Just to quickly introduce EA and myself – we work together in a not for
>> profit at globalsymbols.com
>>

>> We are very much committed to both open licence and working in the open,
>> and have a special interest in seeking to ensure that AAC reaches those
>> communities that have been most under served in this field
>>

>> One of our first projects was in the Middle East where we collaborated to
>> develop Tawasol, the Arabic open symbol set, designed to reflect both
>> language and culture within the Middle East and especially the gulf. To do
>> that we created a system that democratised symbol design, allowing a range
>> of stakeholder to determine the design and selection of symbols to
>> represent concepts.
>>

>> Very much hope to continue discussions together about collaboration
>> around the paper Ariam has distributed
>>

>> Best regards
>>

>> David

Hi Kevin,

I’m sorry, last week in DC ended up being very difficult, but will give you ring first thing tomorrow.

Best,
Ariam

From: "Kevin A. McGrail" <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Date: Monday, October 29, 2018 at 6:27 PM
To: "[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>" <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Cc: Ariam Mogos <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>, "[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>" <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>, Aditi Poddar <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>, "[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>" <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>

Just to quickly introduce EA and myself – we work together in a not for profit at globalsymbols.com<http://globalsymbols.com>

From: "Kevin A. McGrail" <[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]>
Date: Sunday, October 28, 2018 at 4:51 PM
To: "[hidden email]"<mailto:[hidden email]> <[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]>
Cc: Ariam Mogos <[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]>

In addition to the list responses, I'm happy to chat especially with my VP Fundraising duties. Love UNICEF and love what you do especially around Halloween.  Happy to jump on a call and give you some guidance!

Regards,
KAM
--
Kevin A. McGrail
VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation
https://www.linkedin.com/in/kmcgrail - 703.798.0171

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 1:39 AM Dave Fisher <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
Exactly as Kellen describes!

If for whatever reason you require an offline discussion to start then I’m sure someone here may be willing to “champion” your proposal.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 27, 2018, at 9:43 PM, kellen sunderland <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> Hello Ariam, reading through the sites in your signature it looks like
> you're doing interesting work.  I'm always happy to see governments and
> NGOs using / contributing to open source.
>
> Speaking for myself, I would be happy to set aside some time to chat.  At
> Apache we do try to keep as much communication as possible on public email
> lists.  Would you be able to give a little more detail about your project
> via this list?  Were you interested in collaborating with Apache?  Did you
> want to participate in the Apache Incubator program?
>
> -Kellen
>
>> On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 9:42 AM Ariam Mogos <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I work in UNICEF’s Office of Innovation and was hoping to speak to someone
>> about a fantastic open source project in which we’re interested in working
>> with the Apache Foundation.
>>
>> Look forward to hearing from you.
>>
>> Best,
>> Ariam
>>
>> ---------------------------------
>> Ariam Mogos
>> Learning Lead
>> UNICEF Ventures
>> Office of Innovation
>> skype: ariammogos
>> mobile: +1 917-974-5997<tel:%28917%29%20974-5997><tel:%28917%29%20974-5997>
>>
>> www.unicefstories.org<http://www.unicefstories.org><http://www.unicefstories.org/>
>> www.unicefinnovationfund.org<http://www.unicefinnovationfund.org><http://www.unicefinnovationfund.org/>

For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

--

Kevin A. McGrail

VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation

https://www.linkedin.com/in/kmcgrail - 703.798.0171

Re: UNICEF Open Source project- Apache Foundation

Kevin A. McGrail-2
Sounds good, thanks. If you get my v/m I'll do my best to reach you back
ASAP.
--

On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 12:39 AM Ariam Mogos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>

> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 4:57 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just to quickly introduce EA and myself – we work together in a not for
> profit at globalsymbols.com
>

> We are very much committed to both open licence and working in the open,
> and have a special interest in seeking to ensure that AAC reaches those
> communities that have been most under served in this field
>

> One of our first projects was in the Middle East where we collaborated to
> develop Tawasol, the Arabic open symbol set, designed to reflect both
> language and culture within the Middle East and especially the gulf. To do
> that we created a system that democratised symbol design, allowing a range
> of stakeholder to determine the design and selection of symbols to
> represent concepts.
>

> Very much hope to continue discussions together about collaboration around

Hi Ariam, thanks for your chat.  Please let us know if you have more
questions about the incubator or if we can help with any other avenues.
It's a great project!

KAM

   On 11/12/2018 12:38 AM, Ariam Mogos wrote:

> [...]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>             Just to quickly introduce EA and myself – we work together
>             in a not for profit at globalsymbols.com
>             <http://globalsymbols.com>
>

>             We are very much committed to both open licence and
>             working in the open, and have a special interest in
>             seeking to ensure that AAC reaches those communities that
>             have been most under served in this field
>

>             One of our first projects was in the Middle East where we
>             collaborated to develop Tawasol, the Arabic open symbol
>             set, designed to reflect both language and culture within
>             the Middle East and especially the gulf. To do that we
>             created a system that democratised symbol design, allowing
>             a range of stakeholder to determine the design and
>             selection of symbols to represent concepts.
>

>             Very much hope to continue discussions together about
>             collaboration around the paper Ariam has distributed

Thanks Kevin, great connecting with you too. Could you send me more about the incubator and the proposal process?

Thanks!
Ariam

From: "Kevin A. McGrail" <[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]>
Date: Sunday, October 28, 2018 at 4:51 PM
To: "[hidden email]"<mailto:[hidden email]> <[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]>
Cc: Ariam Mogos <[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]>

In addition to the list responses, I'm happy to chat especially with my VP Fundraising duties. Love UNICEF and love what you do especially around Halloween.  Happy to jump on a call and give you some guidance!

Regards,
KAM
--
Kevin A. McGrail
VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation
https://www.linkedin.com/in/kmcgrail - 703.798.0171

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 1:39 AM Dave Fisher <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
Exactly as Kellen describes!

If for whatever reason you require an offline discussion to start then I’m sure someone here may be willing to “champion” your proposal.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 27, 2018, at 9:43 PM, kellen sunderland <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> Hello Ariam, reading through the sites in your signature it looks like
> you're doing interesting work.  I'm always happy to see governments and
> NGOs using / contributing to open source.
>
> Speaking for myself, I would be happy to set aside some time to chat.  At
> Apache we do try to keep as much communication as possible on public email
> lists.  Would you be able to give a little more detail about your project
> via this list?  Were you interested in collaborating with Apache?  Did you
> want to participate in the Apache Incubator program?
>
> -Kellen
>
>> On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 9:42 AM Ariam Mogos <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I work in UNICEF’s Office of Innovation and was hoping to speak to someone
>> about a fantastic open source project in which we’re interested in working
>> with the Apache Foundation.
>>
>> Look forward to hearing from you.
>>
>> Best,
>> Ariam
>>
>> ---------------------------------
>> Ariam Mogos
>> Learning Lead
>> UNICEF Ventures
>> Office of Innovation
>> skype: ariammogos
>> mobile: +1 917-974-5997<tel:%28917%29%20974-5997><tel:%28917%29%20974-5997>
>>
>> www.unicefstories.org<http://www.unicefstories.org><http://www.unicefstories.org/>
>> www.unicefinnovationfund.org<http://www.unicefinnovationfund.org><http://www.unicefinnovationfund.org/>

For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

--

Kevin A. McGrail

VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation

https://www.linkedin.com/in/kmcgrail - 703.798.0171

--

Kevin A. McGrail

VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation

https://www.linkedin.com/in/kmcgrail - 703.798.0171

Re: UNICEF Open Source project- Apache Foundation

Kevin A. McGrail-2
Sure Ariam.

The Incubator is the process by which projects come into the Apache
Software Foundation and learn how to be a successful open source project.

The process is pretty well documented at
https://incubator.apache.org/policy/incubation.html and would start with
the preparation of a proposal which I'd be happy to review for you.

Regards,
KAM
--

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 2:15 PM Ariam Mogos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>

> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 4:57 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just to quickly introduce EA and myself – we work together in a not for
> profit at globalsymbols.com
>

> We are very much committed to both open licence and working in the open,
> and have a special interest in seeking to ensure that AAC reaches those
> communities that have been most under served in this field
>

> One of our first projects was in the Middle East where we collaborated to
> develop Tawasol, the Arabic open symbol set, designed to reflect both
> language and culture within the Middle East and especially the gulf. To do
> that we created a system that democratised symbol design, allowing a range
> of stakeholder to determine the design and selection of symbols to
> represent concepts.
>

> Very much hope to continue discussions together about collaboration around

Thanks Kevin this is great. I’m going to go through the documentation and set-up a follow-up call with you.

From: "Kevin A. McGrail" <[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]>
Date: Sunday, October 28, 2018 at 4:51 PM
To: "[hidden email]"<mailto:[hidden email]> <[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]>
Cc: Ariam Mogos <[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]>