Seeking interested parties for a messaging components podling

Seeking interested parties for a messaging components podling

John D. Ament-2
All,

There's an ongoing discussion on the ActiveMQ dev list [1] to spin up a
project focused on core, reusable messaging components.  The feeling is
that this is outside the realm of ActiveMQ for various reasons and could be
leveraged by various messaging platforms, potentially even building out
some reusability and core protocol support along the ways.

Knowing that we have some messaging experience within the incubator, I
wanted to prod around a bit to see if there was anyone else interested in a
project like this.

John

PS - when I say interested parties, it could be
champions/mentors/contributors or heck even possible TLP sponsors.

[1]:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/ff3ffb0408d299724caadbfb6e3c373e74d5d16def9af0c1a8fd8db9@%3Cdev.activemq.apache.org%3E

Re: Seeking interested parties for a messaging components podling

Atri Sharma-2
I would love to contribute.

On Jun 22, 2017 8:05 AM, "John D. Ament" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>
> There's an ongoing discussion on the ActiveMQ dev list [1] to spin up a
> project focused on core, reusable messaging components.  The feeling is
> that this is outside the realm of ActiveMQ for various reasons and could be
> leveraged by various messaging platforms, potentially even building out
> some reusability and core protocol support along the ways.
>
> Knowing that we have some messaging experience within the incubator, I
> wanted to prod around a bit to see if there was anyone else interested in a
> project like this.
>
> John
>
> PS - when I say interested parties, it could be
> champions/mentors/contributors or heck even possible TLP sponsors.
>
> [1]:
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/ff3ffb0408d299724caadbfb6e3c37
> 3e74d5d16def9af0c1a8fd8db9@%3Cdev.activemq.apache.org%3E

Re: Seeking interested parties for a messaging components podling

Clebert Suconic
This would be totally from a Messaging Point of View.. not just JMS BTW.

Right now there are 2 JMS components that would be cross used from qpid-jms, artemis.. and who knows… Rocket…

- Serders/Serialization integration for Object messages
- JMS Connection pool…

There’s also the idea of using the Journal on the client. The Journal from Artemis could move here, we would add a JournalQueue which would allow integrating Messaging on the client side. It would be a great component for either Artemis, kafka or anything else that needs a journal.

I don’t have any specific ideas now.. but I know of some libraries for Javascript clients, think of Kafka, AMQP…  as well that could live here.

We could only expand from there..

On 2017-06-21 22:35 (-0400), "John D. Ament" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>
> There's an ongoing discussion on the ActiveMQ dev list [1] to spin up a
> project focused on core, reusable messaging components.  The feeling is
> that this is outside the realm of ActiveMQ for various reasons and could be
> leveraged by various messaging platforms, potentially even building out
> some reusability and core protocol support along the ways.
>
> Knowing that we have some messaging experience within the incubator, I
> wanted to prod around a bit to see if there was anyone else interested in a
> project like this.
>
> John
>
> PS - when I say interested parties, it could be
> champions/mentors/contributors or heck even possible TLP sponsors.
>
> [1]:
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/ff3ffb0408d299724caadbfb6e3c373e74d5d16def9af0c1a8fd8db9@%3Cdev.activemq.apache.org%3E

Re: Seeking interested parties for a messaging components podling

Michael André Pearce

As already been discussing in the Artemis mailing lists have some areas we would like to contribute/commit in particular already looking at:

JMSObject Custom serdes wrapper (with and avro serdes as initial provided)
Generic JMS Client side persistence

Cheers
Mike

On 2017-06-22 04:39 (+0100), Atri Sharma wrote:

> I would love to contribute.>
>
> On Jun 22, 2017 8:05 AM, "John D. Ament" wrote:>
>
> > All,>
> >>
> > There's an ongoing discussion on the ActiveMQ dev list [1] to spin up a>
> > project focused on core, reusable messaging components. The feeling is>
> > that this is outside the realm of ActiveMQ for various reasons and could be>
> > leveraged by various messaging platforms, potentially even building out>
> > some reusability and core protocol support along the ways.>
> >>
> > Knowing that we have some messaging experience within the incubator, I>
> > wanted to prod around a bit to see if there was anyone else interested in a>
> > project like this.>
> >>
> > John>
> >>
> > PS - when I say interested parties, it could be>
> > champions/mentors/contributors or heck even possible TLP sponsors.>
> >>
> > [1]:>
> > https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/ff3ffb0408d299724caadbfb6e3c37>
> > 3e74d5d16def9af0c1a8fd8db9@%3Cdev.activemq.apache.org%3E>

Sent from my iPad

Re: Seeking interested parties for a messaging components podling

Von Gosling

Hi,

I am not sure your mention is Apache RocketMQ. In RocketMQ, jms integration is just a adaptor, while not fully support JMS 1.1 and JMS 2.0 specification.

IMO, that’s a good idea. if we messaging engines can collaborate to some common components, such as benchmark, common api specification, wire protocol bridge and so on.

Indeed, we have drafted some api specification(OpenMessaging) about messaging and streaming fields[1], welcome any idea about it :-)

[1] https://openmessaging.github.io/ <https://openmessaging.github.io/>

Best Regards,
Von Gosling

> 在 2017年6月24日,05:25,Michael André Pearce <[hidden email]> 写道:
>
> Hi,
>
> As already been discussing in the Artemis mailing lists have some areas we would like to contribute/commit in particular already looking at:
>
> JMSObject Custom serdes wrapper (with and avro serdes as initial provided)
> Generic JMS Client side persistence
>

> Cheers
> Mike
>

> On 2017-06-22 04:39 (+0100), Atri Sharma wrote:
>> I would love to contribute.>
>>
>> On Jun 22, 2017 8:05 AM, "John D. Ament" wrote:>
>>
>>> All,>
>>>>
>>> There's an ongoing discussion on the ActiveMQ dev list [1] to spin up a>
>>> project focused on core, reusable messaging components. The feeling is>
>>> that this is outside the realm of ActiveMQ for various reasons and could be>
>>> leveraged by various messaging platforms, potentially even building out>
>>> some reusability and core protocol support along the ways.>
>>>>
>>> Knowing that we have some messaging experience within the incubator, I>
>>> wanted to prod around a bit to see if there was anyone else interested in a>
>>> project like this.>
>>>>
>>> John>
>>>>
>>> PS - when I say interested parties, it could be>
>>> champions/mentors/contributors or heck even possible TLP sponsors.>
>>>>
>>> [1]:>
>>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/ff3ffb0408d299724caadbfb6e3c37>
>>> 3e74d5d16def9af0c1a8fd8db9@%3Cdev.activemq.apache.org%3E>
>>>>

> Sent from my iPad
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: Seeking interested parties for a messaging components podling

Clebert Suconic
I think its already agreed it makes sense.

We just need to make a proposal and a scope then.

Clebert Suconic

Re: Seeking interested parties for a messaging components podling

John D. Ament
Hi Von Gosling,

So I just want to check, is this an indication that there may be interest
from the RocketMQ community to participate in such a podling?

John

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 9:35 PM Von Gosling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I am not sure your mention is Apache RocketMQ. In RocketMQ, jms
> integration is just a adaptor, while not fully support JMS 1.1 and JMS 2.0
> specification.
>
> IMO, that’s a good idea. if we messaging engines can collaborate to some
> common components, such as benchmark, common api specification, wire
> protocol bridge and so on.
>
> Indeed, we have drafted some api specification(OpenMessaging) about
> messaging and streaming fields[1], welcome any idea about it :-)
>

> [1] https://openmessaging.github.io/ <https://openmessaging.github.io/>
>
> Best Regards,
> Von Gosling
>

> > 在 2017年6月24日,05:25,Michael André Pearce <[hidden email]>
> 写道:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > As already been discussing in the Artemis mailing lists have some areas
> we would like to contribute/commit in particular already looking at:
> >
> > JMSObject Custom serdes wrapper (with and avro serdes as initial
> provided)
> > Generic JMS Client side persistence
> >

> > Cheers
> > Mike
> >

> > On 2017-06-22 04:39 (+0100), Atri Sharma wrote:
> >> I would love to contribute.>

> a>
> could be>
> out>

> in a>

> > Sent from my iPad
> <mailto:[hidden email]>
> <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: Seeking interested parties for a messaging components podling

Von Gosling
Hi john,

I am very interested in participate in such a podling personally. as for RocketMQ community, imo, we will start a thread to discussion this idea :-)

Best Regards,
Von Gosling

> 在 2017年6月24日,22:17,John D. Ament <[hidden email]> 写道:
>
> Hi Von Gosling,
>
> So I just want to check, is this an indication that there may be interest
> from the RocketMQ community to participate in such a podling?
>
> John
>
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 9:35 PM Von Gosling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>

>> I am not sure your mention is Apache RocketMQ. In RocketMQ, jms
>> integration is just a adaptor, while not fully support JMS 1.1 and JMS 2.0
>> specification.
>>
>> IMO, that’s a good idea. if we messaging engines can collaborate to some
>> common components, such as benchmark, common api specification, wire
>> protocol bridge and so on.
>>
>> Indeed, we have drafted some api specification(OpenMessaging) about
>> messaging and streaming fields[1], welcome any idea about it :-)
>>

>> [1] https://openmessaging.github.io/ <https://openmessaging.github.io/>
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Von Gosling
>>

>>> 在 2017年6月24日,05:25,Michael André Pearce <[hidden email]>
>> 写道:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> As already been discussing in the Artemis mailing lists have some areas
>> we would like to contribute/commit in particular already looking at:
>>>
>>> JMSObject Custom serdes wrapper (with and avro serdes as initial
>> provided)
>>> Generic JMS Client side persistence
>>>

>>> Cheers
>>> Mike

>> a>
>> could be>
>> out>

>> in a>

>>> Sent from my iPad
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: Seeking interested parties for a messaging components podling

John D. Ament-2
All,

I've dropped in the proposal template to
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MessagingComponentsProposal - we can
rename it later if we come up with a better name.  I'd encourage those
interested in the project to start to form out this proposal so we can
start to shape the who, the why and the what.  If you need access to the
incubator wiki, first register then email on here asking to gain access.
Include your username.

John

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 9:17 PM Von Gosling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi john,
>
> I am very interested in participate in such a podling personally. as for
> RocketMQ community, imo, we will start a thread to discussion this idea :-)
>
> Best Regards,
> Von Gosling
>

> > 在 2017年6月24日,22:17,John D. Ament <[hidden email]> 写道:
> >
> > Hi Von Gosling,
> >
> > So I just want to check, is this an indication that there may be interest
> > from the RocketMQ community to participate in such a podling?
> >
> > John
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 9:35 PM Von Gosling <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >

> >> Hi,
> >>

> >> I am not sure your mention is Apache RocketMQ. In RocketMQ, jms
> >> integration is just a adaptor, while not fully support JMS 1.1 and JMS
> 2.0
> >> specification.
> >>
> >> IMO, that’s a good idea. if we messaging engines can collaborate to some
> >> common components, such as benchmark, common api specification, wire
> >> protocol bridge and so on.
> >>
> >> Indeed, we have drafted some api specification(OpenMessaging) about
> >> messaging and streaming fields[1], welcome any idea about it :-)
> >>

> >> [1] https://openmessaging.github.io/ <https://openmessaging.github.io/>
> >>
> >> Best Regards,
> >> Von Gosling

> >> 写道:

> >> we would like to contribute/commit in particular already looking at:

> >> provided)

> >> a>
> is>
> >> could be>
> >> out>

> interested
> >> in a>

> >> <mailto:[hidden email]>
> >> <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: Seeking interested parties for a messaging components podling

Clebert Suconic
@John: do I need special auth to change the WIKI you created? I can't
figure out how to make a change.

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 6:16 AM, John D. Ament <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>
> I've dropped in the proposal template to
> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MessagingComponentsProposal - we can
> rename it later if we come up with a better name.  I'd encourage those
> interested in the project to start to form out this proposal so we can
> start to shape the who, the why and the what.  If you need access to the
> incubator wiki, first register then email on here asking to gain access.
> Include your username.
>
> John
>
> On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 9:17 PM Von Gosling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi john,
>>
>> I am very interested in participate in such a podling personally. as for
>> RocketMQ community, imo, we will start a thread to discussion this idea :-)
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Von Gosling
>>

>> > 在 2017年6月24日,22:17,John D. Ament <[hidden email]> 写道:
>> >
>> > Hi Von Gosling,
>> >
>> > So I just want to check, is this an indication that there may be interest
>> > from the RocketMQ community to participate in such a podling?
>> >
>> > John

>> 2.0

>> is>

>> interested

Clebert Suconic

Re: Seeking interested parties for a messaging components podling

Michael André Pearce
@John,

I have created username: MichaelAndrePearce (so original)

Could I be enabled to edit the wiki

Cheers
Mike

Sent from my iPhone

> On 26 Jun 2017, at 21:47, Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> @John: do I need special auth to change the WIKI you created? I can't
> figure out how to make a change.
>
>> On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 6:16 AM, John D. Ament <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I've dropped in the proposal template to
>> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MessagingComponentsProposal - we can
>> rename it later if we come up with a better name.  I'd encourage those
>> interested in the project to start to form out this proposal so we can
>> start to shape the who, the why and the what.  If you need access to the
>> incubator wiki, first register then email on here asking to gain access.
>> Include your username.
>>
>> John
>>
>>> On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 9:17 PM Von Gosling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi john,
>>>
>>> I am very interested in participate in such a podling personally. as for
>>> RocketMQ community, imo, we will start a thread to discussion this idea :-)
>>>
>>> Best Regards,
>>> Von Gosling

>>> 2.0

>>> is>

>>> interested

> Clebert Suconic

Re: Seeking interested parties for a messaging components podling

John D. Ament-2
You've been added.

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 8:06 AM Michael André Pearce <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> @John,
>
> I have created username: MichaelAndrePearce (so original)
>
> Could I be enabled to edit the wiki
>
> Cheers
> Mike
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On 26 Jun 2017, at 21:47, Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > @John: do I need special auth to change the WIKI you created? I can't
> > figure out how to make a change.
> >
> >> On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 6:16 AM, John D. Ament <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >> All,
> >>
> >> I've dropped in the proposal template to
> >> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MessagingComponentsProposal - we can
> >> rename it later if we come up with a better name.  I'd encourage those
> >> interested in the project to start to form out this proposal so we can
> >> start to shape the who, the why and the what.  If you need access to the
> >> incubator wiki, first register then email on here asking to gain access.
> >> Include your username.
> >>
> >> John

> for
> idea :-)

> interest

> JMS

> some

> https://openmessaging.github.io/>

> [hidden email]>

> areas

> spin up
> feeling
> building

> incubator,

> sponsors.>

> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/ff3ffb0408d299724caadbfb6e3c37>

> > --
> > Clebert Suconic

Re: Seeking interested parties for a messaging components podling

Clebert Suconic
With the number of message brokers out there (call it message
solution, server.. whatever you want to call it).. This new project
could represent a nice opportunity..  it was a simple idea that's
starting to grow I think

@Von Gosling: would you be able to bring OpenMessaging as part of this?

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 10:20 AM, John D. Ament <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You've been added.
>
> On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 8:06 AM Michael André Pearce <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> @John,
>>
>> I have created username: MichaelAndrePearce (so original)
>>
>> Could I be enabled to edit the wiki
>>
>> Cheers
>> Mike
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> > On 26 Jun 2017, at 21:47, Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > @John: do I need special auth to change the WIKI you created? I can't
>> > figure out how to make a change.

>> for
>> idea :-)

>> interest

>> JMS

>> some

>> https://openmessaging.github.io/>

>> [hidden email]>

>> areas

>> spin up
>> feeling
>> building

>> incubator,

>> sponsors.>

>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/ff3ffb0408d299724caadbfb6e3c37>

>> > --
>> > Clebert Suconic

Clebert Suconic

Re: Seeking interested parties for a messaging components podling

Von Gosling
Hi,

RocketMQ community have discussed the common messaging components endeavor[1], we are glad to join this podling  :-)

As for OpenMessaging spec, we have launched this spec. project under Linux foundation(May be CNCF later), If guys have interest about it, welcome join and discuss at gitter[2].

Best Regards,
Von Gosling

[1] https://lists.apache.org/list.html?general@... <https://lists.apache.org/list.html?general@...>
[2] https://gitter.im/openmessaging/public <https://gitter.im/openmessaging/public>

> 在 2017年6月28日,22:30,Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]> 写道:
>
> With the number of message brokers out there (call it message
> solution, server.. whatever you want to call it).. This new project
> could represent a nice opportunity..  it was a simple idea that's
> starting to grow I think
>

> @Von Gosling: would you be able to bring OpenMessaging as part of this?
>

> On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 10:20 AM, John D. Ament <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> You've been added.
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 8:06 AM Michael André Pearce <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> @John,
>>>
>>> I have created username: MichaelAndrePearce (so original)
>>>
>>> Could I be enabled to edit the wiki
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Mike
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

>>> for
>>> idea :-)

>>> interest

>>> JMS

>>> some

>>> https://openmessaging.github.io/>

>>> [hidden email]>

>>> areas

>>> spin up
>>> feeling
>>> building

>>> incubator,

>>> sponsors.>

>>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/ff3ffb0408d299724caadbfb6e3c37>

> Clebert Suconic

Re: Seeking interested parties for a messaging components podling

Clebert Suconic
Just coming back into this.. I want to be realistic here... I'm kind
of pushing back on my side.

If there's anyone with time to push this forward.. i will support
them... but I won't have time on my hands to push this myself.

I don't have the time to manage a new project now... my demand on
activemq artemis is being too big..
I can do eventual fixes.. contributions.. but I don't have time on my
hands to start a new incubator project.

If anyone is interested on pushing and leading this.. i will embark as
a helper.. not as a leader.

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 2:49 AM, Von Gosling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> RocketMQ community have discussed the common messaging components endeavor[1], we are glad to join this podling  :-)
>
> As for OpenMessaging spec, we have launched this spec. project under Linux foundation(May be CNCF later), If guys have interest about it, welcome join and discuss at gitter[2].
>

> Best Regards,
> Von Gosling
>

> [1] https://lists.apache.org/list.html?general@... <https://lists.apache.org/list.html?general@...>
> [2] https://gitter.im/openmessaging/public <https://gitter.im/openmessaging/public>
>

>> 在 2017年6月28日,22:30,Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]> 写道:
>>
>> With the number of message brokers out there (call it message
>> solution, server.. whatever you want to call it).. This new project
>> could represent a nice opportunity..  it was a simple idea that's
>> starting to grow I think
>>

>> @Von Gosling: would you be able to bring OpenMessaging as part of this?
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 10:20 AM, John D. Ament <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> You've been added.

>> --
>> Clebert Suconic

Clebert Suconic

Re: Seeking interested parties for a messaging components podling

Phillip Rhodes-8
Sounds interesting.  I wonder if the Camel community would be
interested in this as well?

Phil

This message optimized for indexing by NSA PRISM

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 2:15 PM, Clebert Suconic
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just coming back into this.. I want to be realistic here... I'm kind
> of pushing back on my side.
>
> If there's anyone with time to push this forward.. i will support
> them... but I won't have time on my hands to push this myself.
>
> I don't have the time to manage a new project now... my demand on
> activemq artemis is being too big..
> I can do eventual fixes.. contributions.. but I don't have time on my
> hands to start a new incubator project.
>
> If anyone is interested on pushing and leading this.. i will embark as
> a helper.. not as a leader.
>
> On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 2:49 AM, Von Gosling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> RocketMQ community have discussed the common messaging components endeavor[1], we are glad to join this podling  :-)
>>
>> As for OpenMessaging spec, we have launched this spec. project under Linux foundation(May be CNCF later), If guys have interest about it, welcome join and discuss at gitter[2].
>>

>> Best Regards,
>> Von Gosling
>>

>> [1] https://lists.apache.org/list.html?general@... <https://lists.apache.org/list.html?general@...>
>> [2] https://gitter.im/openmessaging/public <https://gitter.im/openmessaging/public>
>>

>>> 在 2017年6月28日,22:30,Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]> 写道:
>>>
>>> With the number of message brokers out there (call it message
>>> solution, server.. whatever you want to call it).. This new project
>>> could represent a nice opportunity..  it was a simple idea that's
>>> starting to grow I think
>>>

>>> @Von Gosling: would you be able to bring OpenMessaging as part of this?

>>> --
>>> Clebert Suconic

> Clebert Suconic

Re: Seeking interested parties for a messaging components podling

Clebert Suconic
I believe from the POV of Camel, the Messaging provider should provide
such components...  we thought during the process to have these
compnents living in Camel, that's where this thread started.

The thing is.. starting an incubator project just to store the JMS
Pool sounds like building a war tank to kill a small bird.

The idea then was to have this involving other generic components that
are messaging centric.. so as long as we have enough components to
live here, it would be ok.

although, another idea that was raised was to use apache commons, but
this is too much of a specific problem (messaging).

Clebert Suconic