Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control (incubating) 2.1.0-RC2

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control (incubating) 2.1.0-RC2

Hank Beatty
Hello Incubator PMC,

The Apache Traffic Control community has voted on and approved a
proposal to release Apache Traffic Control 2.1.0-incubating. We now
kindly request that the Incubator PMC members review and vote on this
incubator release.

The VOTE RESULT is here:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/a180ba5e90ed0e10972f647b444d039d7fee17a79fbab3b673999556@%3Cdev.trafficcontrol.apache.org%3E

The previous approved releases and release notes (along with links to artifacts,
signatures/checksums, and updated documentation) can be found here:

http://trafficcontrol.incubator.apache.org/downloads/

This release once approved will also be at this location.

The proposed download page is here:

file:///media/repos/incubator-trafficcontrol-website/downloads/index-new.html

The git tag for the repository is "RELEASE-2.1.0-RC2":
https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafficcontrol/releases/tag/RELEASE-2.1.0-RC2

The source distribution is here:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafficcontrol/2.1.0/RC2/

Build instructions are included in the BUILD.md file which is included
in the source artifact.

Artifacts have been signed with the "[hidden email]" key listed in:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafficcontrol/KEYS

Please review and vote:

[ ] +1 Approve the release
[ ] -1 Don't approve the release (please provide specific comments)

Hank Beatty <[hidden email]>

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control (incubating) 2.1.0-RC2

sebb-2-2
On 5 December 2017 at 16:49, Hank Beatty <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Incubator PMC,
>
> The Apache Traffic Control community has voted on and approved a
> proposal to release Apache Traffic Control 2.1.0-incubating. We now
> kindly request that the Incubator PMC members review and vote on this
> incubator release.
>
> The VOTE RESULT is here:
>
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/a180ba5e90ed0e10972f647b444d039d7fee17a79fbab3b673999556@%3Cdev.trafficcontrol.apache.org%3E
>
> The previous approved releases and release notes (along with links to
> artifacts,
> signatures/checksums, and updated documentation) can be found here:
>
> http://trafficcontrol.incubator.apache.org/downloads/
>
> This release once approved will also be at this location.
>
> The proposed download page is here:
>
> file:///media/repos/incubator-trafficcontrol-website/downloads/index-new.html

Rather difficult to reach this from here ... so cannot comment.
But the existing download page has some problems - see below.

> The git tag for the repository is "RELEASE-2.1.0-RC2":
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafficcontrol/releases/tag/RELEASE-2.1.0-RC2
>
> The source distribution is here:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafficcontrol/2.1.0/RC2/
>
> Build instructions are included in the BUILD.md file which is included
> in the source artifact.
>
> Artifacts have been signed with the "[hidden email]" key listed in:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafficcontrol/KEYS

Better to use the canonical location

https://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/trafficcontrol/KEYS

Note also that the download page must also use the same host
(www.apache.org) for the sigs and hashes.
These are deliberately not provided to 3rd party mirrors.
Only the release archives should be linked from the 3rd party mirrors.

> Please review and vote:
>
> [ ] +1 Approve the release

> Hank Beatty <[hidden email]>

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control (incubating) 2.1.0-RC2

Henk P. Penning-2
On Tue, 5 Dec 2017, Hank Beatty wrote:

> Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 17:49:03 +0100
> From: Hank Beatty <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control (incubating) 2.1.0-RC2
>
> Hello Incubator PMC,
>
> The Apache Traffic Control community has voted on and approved a
> proposal to release Apache Traffic Control 2.1.0-incubating. We now
> kindly request that the Incubator PMC members review and vote on this
> incubator release.
>
> The VOTE RESULT is here:
>
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/a180ba5e90ed0e10972f647b444d039d7fee17a79fbab3b673999556@%3Cdev.trafficcontrol.apache.org%3E
>
> The previous approved releases and release notes (along with links to
> artifacts,
> signatures/checksums, and updated documentation) can be found here:
>
> http://trafficcontrol.incubator.apache.org/downloads/
>
> This release once approved will also be at this location.
>
> The proposed download page is here:
>
> file:///media/repos/incubator-trafficcontrol-website/downloads/index-new.html
>
> The git tag for the repository is "RELEASE-2.1.0-RC2":
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafficcontrol/releases/tag/RELEASE-2.1.0-RC2

Hi,

> The source distribution is here:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafficcontrol/2.1.0/RC2/

   Please rename

     apache-trafficcontrol-2.1.0-incubating.tar.gz.sha

     apache-trafficcontrol-2.1.0-incubating.tar.gz.sha512

   Reference :

     http://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution#sigs-and-sums

   Regards,

   Henk Penning

> Build instructions are included in the BUILD.md file which is included
> in the source artifact.
>
> Artifacts have been signed with the "[hidden email]" key listed in:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafficcontrol/KEYS
>
> Please review and vote:
>
> [ ] +1 Approve the release

> Hank Beatty <[hidden email]>

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control (incubating) 2.1.0-RC2

Hank Beatty-2

On 12/05/2017 06:31 PM, sebb wrote:

> On 5 December 2017 at 16:49, Hank Beatty <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello Incubator PMC,
>>
>> The Apache Traffic Control community has voted on and approved a
>> proposal to release Apache Traffic Control 2.1.0-incubating. We now
>> kindly request that the Incubator PMC members review and vote on this
>> incubator release.
>>
>> The VOTE RESULT is here:
>>
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/a180ba5e90ed0e10972f647b444d039d7fee17a79fbab3b673999556@%3Cdev.trafficcontrol.apache.org%3E
>>
>> The previous approved releases and release notes (along with links to
>> artifacts,
>> signatures/checksums, and updated documentation) can be found here:
>>
>> http://trafficcontrol.incubator.apache.org/downloads/
>>
>> This release once approved will also be at this location.
>>
>> The proposed download page is here:
>>
>> file:///media/repos/incubator-trafficcontrol-website/downloads/index-new.html
>
> Rather difficult to reach this from here ... so cannot comment.
> But the existing download page has some problems - see below.

Here is the corrected link:

https://trafficcontrol.incubator.apache.org/downloads/index-new.html

I believe all of the issues mentioned below have been corrected on this new page.

>> The git tag for the repository is "RELEASE-2.1.0-RC2":
>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafficcontrol/releases/tag/RELEASE-2.1.0-RC2
>>
>> The source distribution is here:
>>
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafficcontrol/2.1.0/RC2/
>>
>> Build instructions are included in the BUILD.md file which is included
>> in the source artifact.
>>
>> Artifacts have been signed with the "[hidden email]" key listed in:
>>
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafficcontrol/KEYS
>
> Better to use the canonical location
>
> https://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/trafficcontrol/KEYS

The 2 KEYS files mentioned here don't seem to match. My key isn't currently in the second one, but understand what you
are saying.

On 12/06/2017 04:14 AM, Henk P. Penning wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Dec 2017, Hank Beatty wrote:
>
>> Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 17:49:03 +0100
>> From: Hank Beatty <[hidden email]>
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Cc: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control (incubating) 2.1.0-RC2
>>
>> Hello Incubator PMC,
>>
>> The Apache Traffic Control community has voted on and approved a
>> proposal to release Apache Traffic Control 2.1.0-incubating. We now
>> kindly request that the Incubator PMC members review and vote on this
>> incubator release.
>>
>> The VOTE RESULT is here:
>>
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/a180ba5e90ed0e10972f647b444d039d7fee17a79fbab3b673999556@%3Cdev.trafficcontrol.apache.org%3E
>>

>> The previous approved releases and release notes (along with links to artifacts,
>> signatures/checksums, and updated documentation) can be found here:
>>
>> http://trafficcontrol.incubator.apache.org/downloads/
>>
>> This release once approved will also be at this location.
>>
>> The proposed download page is here:
>>
>> file:///media/repos/incubator-trafficcontrol-website/downloads/index-new.html
>>
>> The git tag for the repository is "RELEASE-2.1.0-RC2":
>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafficcontrol/releases/tag/RELEASE-2.1.0-RC2
>
> Hi,
>
>> The source distribution is here:
>>
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafficcontrol/2.1.0/RC2/
>
>    Please rename
>
>      apache-trafficcontrol-2.1.0-incubating.tar.gz.sha

>      apache-trafficcontrol-2.1.0-incubating.tar.gz.sha512
>
>    Reference :
>
>      http://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution#sigs-and-sums
>
>    Regards,
>
>    Henk Penning

I have renamed the file.

On 7 December 2017 at 16:16, Hank Beatty <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/05/2017 06:31 PM, sebb wrote:
>>
>> On 5 December 2017 at 16:49, Hank Beatty <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Incubator PMC,
>>>
>>> The Apache Traffic Control community has voted on and approved a
>>> proposal to release Apache Traffic Control 2.1.0-incubating. We now
>>> kindly request that the Incubator PMC members review and vote on this
>>> incubator release.
>>>
>>> The VOTE RESULT is here:
>>>

>>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/a180ba5e90ed0e10972f647b444d039d7fee17a79fbab3b673999556@%3Cdev.trafficcontrol.apache.org%3E
>>>
>>> The previous approved releases and release notes (along with links to
>>> artifacts,
>>> signatures/checksums, and updated documentation) can be found here:
>>>
>>> http://trafficcontrol.incubator.apache.org/downloads/
>>>
>>> This release once approved will also be at this location.
>>>
>>> The proposed download page is here:
>>>

>>> file:///media/repos/incubator-trafficcontrol-website/downloads/index-new.html
>>

>> Rather difficult to reach this from here ... so cannot comment.
>> But the existing download page has some problems - see below.
>

> Here is the corrected link:
>
> https://trafficcontrol.incubator.apache.org/downloads/index-new.html
>
> I believe all of the issues mentioned below have been corrected on this new
> page.

Yes, though it's a bit confusing to have multiple links to the same KEYS file.
I would drop the ones in the individual release lines.

Also the text says to download the 'asc' signature file but there are
no links with that name.

>>> The git tag for the repository is "RELEASE-2.1.0-RC2":
>>>
>>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafficcontrol/releases/tag/RELEASE-2.1.0-RC2
>>>
>>> The source distribution is here:
>>>

>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafficcontrol/2.1.0/RC2/
>>>
>>> Build instructions are included in the BUILD.md file which is included
>>> in the source artifact.
>>>
>>> Artifacts have been signed with the "[hidden email]" key listed in:
>>>
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafficcontrol/KEYS
>>

>> Better to use the canonical location
>>
>> https://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/trafficcontrol/KEYS
>

> The 2 KEYS files mentioned here don't seem to match. My key isn't currently
> in the second one, but understand what you are saying.

There's no harm in putting the signing key in the KEYS file before it is used.

So I would recommend dropping
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafficcontrol/KEYS
and instead maintaining the RM keys in
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/trafficcontrol/KEYS
It should contain the keys for all releases past and present.

>> Note also that the download page must also use the same host
>> (www.apache.org) for the sigs and hashes.
>> These are deliberately not provided to 3rd party mirrors.
>> Only the release archives should be linked from the 3rd party mirrors.
>>
>>> Please review and vote:
>>>
>>> [ ] +1 Approve the release
>>> [ ] -1 Don't approve the release (please provide specific comments)
>>>
>>> This vote will be open for at least 72 hours.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Hank Beatty <[hidden email]>

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control (incubating) 2.1.0-RC2

-1 (binding) until category B issue resolved [3], then I would be +1 on the release.

I checked:
- incubating in release name
- signatures and hashes good
- LICENSE and NOTICE files content good
- noticed one file possibly not having the correct header [1], but all other files look good
- no unexpected binary files in release
- can mostly compile from source (with some minor issues as I’m guessing OSX isn’t a supported platform?)

The inclusion Maxmind is CC by SA 4.0 [2] has been resolved from memory, however I'm not sure that this file [3] which is CC by SA 3 is allowed in the release and appears to be a "category B" file [4] (and not in binary form). I couldn’t find any discussion about on Apache lists, has this been discussed somewhere and I just missed it?

1. apache-trafficcontrol-2.1.0-incubating/traffic_router/core/src/main/java/com/comcast/cdn/traffic_control/traffic_router/core/config/ConfigHandler.java
2. apache-trafficcontrol-2.1.0-incubating/licenses/CC_A_SA_4-maxmind
3. apache-trafficcontrol-2.1.0-incubating/traffic_ops/app/conf/invalid_passwords.txt
4. https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control (incubating) 2.1.0-RC2

Eric Friedrich (efriedri)
Hi Justin-
  I’m far from an expert on Creative Commons, so please bear with me.

 Reference 3 below is from the OWASP SecLists Project[1] which is under the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike (CC-BY-SA) 3.0 license.

The Apache “resolved” page places Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) 3.0 into category B, but the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike licenses are category A for “unmodified media” [2]

I would consider the passwords_list.txt file a form of unmodified media and think we should be able to include it in our release in source form. (This is actually the same reasoning we apply to the Maxmind .tgz, which is also Attribution-ShareAlike CC-BY-SA 4.0).

1. https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_SecLists_Project
2. https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#cc-sa

— Eric

On Dec 11, 2017, at 1:03 AM, Justin Mclean <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Hi,

[...]

For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control (incubating) 2.1.0-RC2

> The Apache “resolved” page places Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) 3.0 into category B, but the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike licenses are category A for “unmodified media” [2]

Only if it is included in binary form [1] that file is plain text I suggest you ask on legal discuss if it’s OK to include or not.

1. https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control (incubating) 2.1.0-RC2

Or perhaps you can ask the author of the file to license under more ALv2 compatible terms or is there a different list of password you can under under a more compatible license?

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control (incubating) 2.1.0-RC2

Eric Friedrich (efriedri)
I’ll talk with the rest of the Traffic Control PPMC tomorrow about getting in touch with the author.

For now, I’ve also opened a legal discuss question for their opinion: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-356

—Eric

On Dec 12, 2017, at 7:28 PM, Justin Mclean <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Hi,

Or perhaps you can ask the author of the file to license under more ALv2 compatible terms or is there a different list of password you can under under a more compatible license?

For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control (incubating) 2.1.0-RC2

Eric Friedrich (efriedri)
Hi Justin-
  Thanks for the suggestion to reach out to the author for relicensing. He has moved the project under the MIT license. We’ll be updating our LICENSE file and starting a new release vote.

—Eric

> On Dec 12, 2017, at 8:32 PM, Eric Friedrich (efriedri) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’ll talk with the rest of the Traffic Control PPMC tomorrow about getting in touch with the author.
>
> For now, I’ve also opened a legal discuss question for their opinion: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-356
>
> —Eric
>
> On Dec 12, 2017, at 7:28 PM, Justin Mclean <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Or perhaps you can ask the author of the file to license under more ALv2 compatible terms or is there a different list of password you can under under a more compatible license?

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control (incubating) 2.1.0-RC2

>  Thanks for the suggestion to reach out to the author for relicensing. He has moved the project under the MIT license. We’ll be updating our LICENSE file and starting a new release vote.

No problem glad you could resolve it.

On 12/29/2017 04:36 AM, Henk P. Penning wrote:

>    +1 :-) ; don't forget to update your download page ;
>    see also the points below [Regarding your website].

Hello Henk,

All of the changes mentioned below have been corrected on the new proposed download page located here:

http://trafficcontrol.apache.org/downloads/index-new.html

I'm working on removing the 1.8.1 links now.

Thanks,
Hank

On 01/08/2018 03:25 AM, Henk P. Penning wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
>    regarding
>
>      https://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/trafficcontrol/2.0.0-incubating/
>
>    Please use extension .md5 instead of .md5sum ;
>    this is required :
>
>      http://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution#sigs-and-sums
>
>    Also, use extension .sha512 for a SHA-512 checksum file.
>

>    Thank, regards,
>
>    Henk Penning
>

> ------------------------------------------------------------   _
> Henk P. Penning, ICT-beta                 R Uithof MG-403    _/ \_
> Faculty of Science, Utrecht University    T +31 30 253 4106 / \_/ \
> Leuvenlaan 4, 3584CE Utrecht, NL          F +31 30 253 4553 \_/ \_/
> http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~penni101/ M [hidden email]     \_/

Hello Henk,

The above files have been renamed and the new download page has been updated.

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018, Hank Beatty wrote:

> Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 14:53:44 +0100
> From: Hank Beatty <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email], [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control (incubating) 2.1.0-RC2

> On 01/08/2018 03:25 AM, Henk P. Penning wrote:

>>     Please use extension .md5 instead of .md5sum ;
>>     Also, use extension .sha512 for a SHA-512 checksum file.

> The above files have been renamed and the new download page has been
> updated.
>
> http://trafficcontrol.apache.org/downloads/index-new.html

   FYI ; Regarding the (new) download page :

   IF publishing 2.1.1 means that development on 2.1.0 has stopped,
   then, after publishing 2.1.1,

   -- remove 2.1.0 from /dist/incubator/trafficcontrol/ ;
   -- if you want to refer to 2.1.0 on your download-page
      (or elsewhere), refer to it as :

      http://archive.apache.org/dist/incubator/trafficcontrol/2.0.0-incubating/

   ref : http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#when-to-archive

> Hank