Re: [VOTE] - Approve the release of Apache Joshua incubating 6.1 (rc4)

Re: [VOTE] - Approve the release of Apache Joshua incubating 6.1 (rc4)

lewis john mcgibbney-2
Hi Tommaso,

[X] +1 Approve the release

I performed the same checks on this thread as I did over on dev@joshua.
Thank you for preparing the release cabdidate.
Lewis

--
http://home.apache.org/~lewismc/
@hectorMcSpector
http://www.linkedin.com/in/lmcgibbney

Re: [VOTE] - Approve the release of Apache Joshua incubating 6.1 (rc4)

+1 binding

I checked:
- name includes incubating
- signatures and hashes correct
- disclaimer exists
- LICENSE is OK
- NOTICE contains wrong year please fix
- no unexpected binary files
- source files have ASF headers
- can compile from source

I’m curious to know where these files come from [1][2]. I found them elsewhere without Apache headers but was unable to find how they were licensed.

1. ./scripts/training/parallelize/sentclient.c
2../scripts/training/parallelize/sentserver.c

Re: [VOTE] - Approve the release of Apache Joshua incubating 6.1 (rc4)

Tommaso Teofili
thanks Justin for your vote.

The mentioned files should come from [1.2], which contains AL2 header.
When building Joshua you may found the compiled binaries, but they are not
shipped together with the source release; so if I understand things
correctly we should be fine.

Regards,
Tommaso

[1] :
https://github.com/apache/incubator-joshua/blob/master/scripts/training/parallelize/sentserver.c
[2] :
https://github.com/apache/incubator-joshua/blob/master/scripts/training/parallelize/sentclient.c

Il giorno gio 1 giu 2017 alle ore 03:29 Justin Mclean <
[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> +1 binding
>
> I checked:
> - name includes incubating
> - signatures and hashes correct
> - disclaimer exists
> - LICENSE is OK
> - NOTICE contains wrong year please fix
> - no unexpected binary files
> - source files have ASF headers
> - can compile from source
>
> I’m curious to know where these files come from [1][2]. I found them
> elsewhere without Apache headers but was unable to find how they were
> licensed.

> 1. ./scripts/training/parallelize/sentclient.c
> 2../scripts/training/parallelize/sentserver.c

Re: [VOTE] - Approve the release of Apache Joshua incubating 6.1 (rc4)

> The mentioned files should come from [1.2], which contains AL2 header.

Sure I can see that but where did the files original come from and how where they originally licensed?

For instance I can see the same(?) file here without an ASF header [1]

1. https://github.com/redpony/cdec/blob/master/training/utils/sentclient.cc

Re: [VOTE] - Approve the release of Apache Joshua incubating 6.1 (rc4)

Just wondering if the "All rights reserved” may imply that it's not licensed under a permissive license?

 I’m unaware of the history / providence of that file so was enquiring if anyone on the project had any more info where it come from.

Re: [VOTE] - Approve the release of Apache Joshua incubating 6.1 (rc4)

lewis john mcgibbney-2
Hi Justin,
Excellent catch. Thank you for rebiewing the RC... it is really helping us
out.
To answer your question, I had to look back to the Joshua Tag for 6.0.4
(prior to it's entry into the Incubator as a podling) I managed to find the
commit history for the file(s) in question...
https://github.com/joshua-decoder/joshua/commit/aeaed01deb0688b0af5adcd01a0be0b9d4d51789
You will see that they were added to Joshua (at that time) in one commit,
the commit message would indicate that they came from the source you've
provided. e.g. "...Added parallelization files from cdec"
Where does this leave us now? The file(s) have bee altered since then,
please see
https://github.com/joshua-decoder/joshua/commit/0bee12805426fc5ac61b3fdb702a5a059404d64f
The copyright has been retained but the Apache Licence v2.0 header has also
been added.
Lewis

@hectorMcSpector
http://www.linkedin.com/in/lmcgibbney

Re: [VOTE] - Approve the release of Apache Joshua incubating 6.1 (rc4)

Tommaso Teofili
thanks indeed Justin and Lewis for reviewing the history.
As far as I can see also those files are licensed under AL2 [1], not sure
if we'd need to add an entry to the NOTICE file at this point though.

Regards,
Tommaso

[1] : https://github.com/redpony/cdec/blob/master/LICENSE.txt

Il giorno ven 2 giu 2017 alle ore 18:46 lewis john mcgibbney <
[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Hi Justin,
> Excellent catch. Thank you for rebiewing the RC... it is really helping us
> out.
> To answer your question, I had to look back to the Joshua Tag for 6.0.4
> (prior to it's entry into the Incubator as a podling) I managed to find the
> commit history for the file(s) in question...
>
> https://github.com/joshua-decoder/joshua/commit/aeaed01deb0688b0af5adcd01a0be0b9d4d51789
> You will see that they were added to Joshua (at that time) in one commit,
> the commit message would indicate that they came from the source you've
> provided. e.g. "...Added parallelization files from cdec"
> Where does this leave us now? The file(s) have bee altered since then,
> please see
>
> https://github.com/joshua-decoder/joshua/commit/0bee12805426fc5ac61b3fdb702a5a059404d64f
> The copyright has been retained but the Apache Licence v2.0 header has also
> been added.
> Lewis
>
> On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 8:59 AM, <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> > From: Justin Mclean <[hidden email]>
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Bcc:
> > Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 18:29:14 +1000
> > Subject: Re: [VOTE] - Approve the release of Apache Joshua incubating 6.1
> > (rc4)
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just wondering if the "All rights reserved” may imply that it's not
> > licensed under a permissive license?
> >
> >  I’m unaware of the history / providence of that file so was enquiring if
> > anyone on the project had any more info where it come from.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Justin
> >

> --
> http://home.apache.org/~lewismc/
> @hectorMcSpector
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/lmcgibbney

Re: [VOTE] - Approve the release of Apache Joshua incubating 6.1 (rc4)

Not to be a pain but I still don't think that quite explains the "All rights reserved” comment.

Just because these files were added to a repo that is under an Apache license (by someone other than the author I would note) doesn't automatically mean the original files were Apache licensed.

Perhaps the best thing to do is to reach to the author and ask for permission to use the files / clarify the license they are under?

Re: [VOTE] - Approve the release of Apache Joshua incubating 6.1 (rc4)

lewis john mcgibbney-2
Hi Justin and Tommaso,
I'll register and issue over on the cdec repository and ping the
contributors over there. I'll cross-reference the outcome here and
hopefully we can move forward.
Lewis

@hectorMcSpector
http://www.linkedin.com/in/lmcgibbney

Re: [VOTE] - Approve the release of Apache Joshua incubating 6.1 (rc4)

lewis john mcgibbney-2
Please see the following issue folks
https://github.com/redpony/cdec/issues/94
Thanks

@hectorMcSpector
http://www.linkedin.com/in/lmcgibbney

Re: [VOTE] - Approve the release of Apache Joshua incubating 6.1 (rc4)

lewis john mcgibbney-2
Hi Folks,
We are making progress here folks.
@justin, if you are interested in continuing to help Joshua incubating with
the release process then pleae stick with us until we iron this one out.
Thank you
Lewis

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 2:28 PM, lewis john mcgibbney <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Please see the following issue folks
> https://github.com/redpony/cdec/issues/94
> Thanks
> Lewis
>
> On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 9:46 AM, lewis john mcgibbney <[hidden email]>

Re: [VOTE] - Approve the release of Apache Joshua incubating 6.1 (rc4)

> @justin, if you are interested in continuing to help Joshua incubating with
> the release process then pleae stick with us until we iron this one out.

I’ve already voted +1 on the release.

That GitHub issue looks resolved to me i.e. the copyright owner gave you permission to use the code under an Apache license.

Re: [VOTE] - Approve the release of Apache Joshua incubating 6.1 (rc4)

John D. Ament
Here's my +1 for the release.

We may have to be a bit diligent on an issue like this, but can be resolved
after this release.

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 10:20 PM Justin Mclean <[hidden email]>

> > @justin, if you are interested in continuing to help Joshua incubating
> with
> > the release process then pleae stick with us until we iron this one out.
>
> I’ve already voted +1 on the release.
>
> That GitHub issue looks resolved to me i.e. the copyright owner gave you
> permission to use the code under an Apache license.

Re: [VOTE] - Approve the release of Apache Joshua incubating 6.1 (rc4)

lewis john mcgibbney-2
Thank you Justin and John,
@tommaso, please progress with the RESULT thread and we can continue with
the release process.
Lewis

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 11:59 AM, <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> From: Justin Mclean <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Bcc:
> Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2017 12:19:46 +1000
> Subject: Re: [VOTE] - Approve the release of Apache Joshua incubating 6.1
> (rc4)
> Hi,
>
> > @justin, if you are interested in continuing to help Joshua incubating
> with
> > the release process then pleae stick with us until we iron this one out.
>
> I’ve already voted +1 on the release.
>
> That GitHub issue looks resolved to me i.e. the copyright owner gave you
> permission to use the code under an Apache license.

Re: [VOTE] - Approve the release of Apache Joshua incubating 6.1 (rc4)

Tommaso Teofili
perfect, thanks all for your support for this release.

Regards,
Tommaso

Il giorno sab 10 giu 2017 alle ore 21:56 lewis john mcgibbney <
[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Thank you Justin and John,
> @tommaso, please progress with the RESULT thread and we can continue with
> the release process.
> Lewis
>
> On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 11:59 AM, <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> > From: Justin Mclean <[hidden email]>
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Bcc:
> > Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2017 12:19:46 +1000
> > Subject: Re: [VOTE] - Approve the release of Apache Joshua incubating 6.1
> > (rc4)
> > Hi,
> >
> > > @justin, if you are interested in continuing to help Joshua incubating
> > with
> > > the release process then pleae stick with us until we iron this one
> out.
> >
> > I’ve already voted +1 on the release.
> >
> > That GitHub issue looks resolved to me i.e. the copyright owner gave you
> > permission to use the code under an Apache license.

Re: [VOTE] - Approve the release of Apache Joshua incubating 6.1 (rc4)

lewis john mcgibbney-2
PING @Tommaso, can you please close this thread out and we can move on with
the release?
Thank you

@hectorMcSpector
http://www.linkedin.com/in/lmcgibbney

Re: [VOTE] - Approve the release of Apache Joshua incubating 6.1 (rc4)

Tommaso Teofili
result thread is out, will move on with the remaining steps.

Regards,
Tommaso