Re: Google Summer of Code 2018 is coming

Re: Google Summer of Code 2018 is coming

Stian Soiland-Reyes-2
Reminder to podlings of how to register ideas for Google Summer of Code.
(see below)

It is still not too late!  This is a great way to learn how to engage
with new contributors to your project, hopefully picking up new
committers and fresh code on the way!

Just decide on someone from your podling committers to be a GSOC mentor
for the student (Note that this "mentor" probably is different from your
existing incubator mentors!) - and register some ideas in JIRA using the
"gsoc2018" label.  If your project is not (yet) using JIRA, you can post
the ideas under the COMDEV project including your podling name in the
title.

See separate email on mentor registration.

On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 22:22:33 +0100, Ulrich Stärk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello PMCs (incubator Mentors, please forward this email to your podlings),
>
> Google Summer of Code [1] is a program sponsored by Google allowing students to spend their summer
> working on open source software. Students will receive stipends for developing open source software
> full-time for three months. Projects will provide mentoring and project ideas, and in return have
> the chance to get new code developed and - most importantly - to identify and bring in new committers.
>
> The ASF will apply as a participating organization meaning individual projects don't have to apply
> separately.
>
> If you want to participate with your project we ask you to do the following things as soon as
> possible but please no later than 2017-01-30:
>
> 1. understand what it means to be a mentor [2].
>
> 2. record your project ideas.
>
> Just create issues in JIRA, label them with gsoc2018, and they will show up at [3]. Please be as
> specific as possible when describing your idea. Include the programming language, the tools and
> skills required, but try not to scare potential students away. They are supposed to learn what's
> required before the program starts.
>
> Use labels, e.g. for the programming language (java, c, c++, erlang, python, brainfuck, ...) or
> technology area (cloud, xml, web, foo, bar, ...) and record them at [5].
>
> Please use the COMDEV JIRA project for recording your ideas if your project doesn't use JIRA (e.g.
> httpd, ooo). Contact [hidden email] if you need assistance.
>
> [4] contains some additional information (will be updated for 2017 shortly).
>
> 3. subscribe to [hidden email]; restricted to potential mentors, meant to be used as a
> private list - general discussions on the public [hidden email] list as much as possible
> please). Use a recognized address when subscribing (@apache.org or one of your alias addresses on
> record).
>
> Note that the ASF isn't accepted as a participating organization yet, nevertheless you *have to*
> start recording your ideas now or we will not get accepted.
>
> Over the years we were able to complete hundreds of projects successfully. Some of our prior
> students are active contributors now! Let's make this year a success again!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Uli
>
> P.S.: Except for the private parts (label spreadsheet mostly), this email is free to be shared
> publicly if you want to.
>
> [1] https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/
> [2] http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html
> [3] http://s.apache.org/gsoc2018ideas
> [4] http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html

Re: Google Summer of Code 2018 is coming

Carlos Santana
This is great will be awesome to add an idea for having a student work on Serverless maybe adding support for a new programming language

- Carlos Santana
@csantanapr