Re: Google Summer of Code 2018 Mentor Registration

Re: Google Summer of Code 2018 Mentor Registration

Stian Soiland-Reyes-2
Any podlings participating in GSOC this year?
(strongly recommended!)

See below for mentor registration procedure - mentors need
acknowledgement from someone else on your [hidden email] list
(aka the podling PMC). Note that you do NOT normally need ACK from the
Incubator PMC. [1]

-

Terminology: Your GSOC "mentors" are probably different from your
existing Incubator "mentors"!  The GSOC mentor can be any of the
committers of your podling (that the PPMC deem suitable for mentoring a
student fresh to your code base).

Later your incubator mentors can assist in how to give the students
access, e.g. how to process pull requests or ask for ICLAs. Your PPMC is
free to decide when/if to grant a successful GSOC student committership.

See my separate email [2] on how to register GSOC ideas in JIRA to
attract potential students.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/kl5akdi2oohp32c6
[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/4e2b5b0ef2e565a08470ecbf9b2a6fc27a25ce28d4708334c9073fb9@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 22:19:34 +0100, Ulrich Stärk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear PMCs,
>
> I'm happy to announce that the ASF has made it onto the list of accepted organizations for
> Google Summer of Code 2018! [1,2]
>
> It is now time for mentors to sign up, so please pass this email on to your community and
> podlings. If you aren’t already subscribed to [hidden email] you should do so now else
> you might miss important information.
>
> Mentor signup requires two steps: mentor signup in Google's system [3] and PMC acknowledgement.
>
> If you want to mentor a project in this year's SoC you will have to
>
> 1. Be an Apache committer.
> 2. Request an acknowledgement from the PMC for which you want to mentor projects. Use the below
> template and *do not forget to copy [hidden email]*. We will use the email adress you
> indicate to send the invite to be a mentor for Apache.
>
> PMCs, read carefully please.
>
> We request that each mentor is acknowledged by a PMC member. This is to ensure the mentor is in good
> standing with the community. When you receive a request for acknowledgement, please ACK it and cc
> [hidden email]
>
> Lastly, it is not yet too late to record your ideas in Jira (see my previous emails for details).
> Students will now begin to explore ideas so if you haven’t already done so, record your ideas
> immediately!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Uli
>
> mentor request email template:
> ----
> to: private@<project>.apache.org
> cc: [hidden email]
> subject: GSoC 2018 mentor request for <mentor name>
>
> <project> PMC,
>
> please acknowledge my request to become a mentor for Google Summer of Code 2018 projects for Apache
> <project>.
>
> I would like to receive the mentor invite to <email address>
>
> <custom content>
>
> ----
>
> [1] https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/
> [2] https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/5718432427802624/
> [3] https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/

Re: Google Summer of Code 2018 Mentor Registration

Huxing Zhang
Hi,

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 7:43 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Any podlings participating in GSOC this year?
> (strongly recommended!)

Dubbo is planning to participate. Mentor registration is on the way
and ideas will come soon.

> [...]
>> standing with the community. When you receive a request for acknowledgement, please ACK it and cc
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> Lastly, it is not yet too late to record your ideas in Jira (see my previous emails for details).
>> Students will now begin to explore ideas so if you haven’t already done so, record your ideas
>> immediately!
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Uli
>>
>> mentor request email template:
>> ----
>> to: private@<project>.apache.org
>> cc: [hidden email]
>> subject: GSoC 2018 mentor request for <mentor name>
>>
>> <project> PMC,
>>
>> please acknowledge my request to become a mentor for Google Summer of Code 2018 projects for Apache
>> <project>.
>>
>> I would like to receive the mentor invite to <email address>

Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: Google Summer of Code 2018 Mentor Registration

Carlos Santana
Hi OpenWhisk want to mentor

What do we need to submit to be mentors?

I’m currently drafting some ideas

- Carlos Santana
@csantanapr

> [...]
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Uli
>>>
>>> mentor request email template:
>>> ----
>>> to: private@<project>.apache.org
>>> cc: [hidden email]
>>> subject: GSoC 2018 mentor request for <mentor name>
>>>
>>> <project> PMC,
>>>
>>> please acknowledge my request to become a mentor for Google Summer of Code 2018 projects for Apache
>>> <project>.
>>>
>>> I would like to receive the mentor invite to <email address>
>>>
>>> <custom content>
>>>
>>> ----
>>>
>>> [1] https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/
>>> [2] https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/5718432427802624/
>>> [3] https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/

> Best Regards!
> Huxing

Re: Google Summer of Code 2018 Mentor Registration

Hi Carlos,

Please refer to this thread [1] for more details.

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/4911a8b50e83a7104047dffa1656215ea8f991ede960dfe3dd784d0e@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 6:43 PM, Carlos Santana <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi OpenWhisk want to mentor
>
> What do we need to submit to be mentors?
>
> I’m currently drafting some ideas
>
> - Carlos Santana
> @csantanapr
>
>> On Mar 8, 2018, at 5:18 AM, Huxing Zhang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 7:43 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Any podlings participating in GSOC this year?
>>> (strongly recommended!)
>>
>> Dubbo is planning to participate. Mentor registration is on the way
>> and ideas will come soon.
>>

>>> See below for mentor registration procedure - mentors need
>>> acknowledgement from someone else on your [hidden email] list
>>> (aka the podling PMC). Note that you do NOT normally need ACK from the
>>> Incubator PMC. [1]
>>>
>>> -
>>>
>>> Terminology: Your GSOC "mentors" are probably different from your
>>> existing Incubator "mentors"!  The GSOC mentor can be any of the
>>> committers of your podling (that the PPMC deem suitable for mentoring a
>>> student fresh to your code base).
>>>
>>> Later your incubator mentors can assist in how to give the students
>>> access, e.g. how to process pull requests or ask for ICLAs. Your PPMC is
>>> free to decide when/if to grant a successful GSOC student committership.
>>>
>>> See my separate email [2] on how to register GSOC ideas in JIRA to
>>> attract potential students.
>>>

>>> [1] http://markmail.org/message/kl5akdi2oohp32c6
>>> [2] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/4e2b5b0ef2e565a08470ecbf9b2a6fc27a25ce28d4708334c9073fb9@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

>> --
>> Best Regards!
>> Huxing

Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: Google Summer of Code 2018 Mentor Registration

Carlos Santana
I got ACK from the OpenWhisk PPMC to include OpenWhisk in GSOC 2018

I went ahead and created ideas in JIRA [1]

What are the next steps I need to take to register as a mentor, and any
deadline?

[1] OpenWhisk GSOC ideas:
OpenWhisk GSOC: Core: AutoGen Swagger (Scala)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMDEV-276
OpenWhisk GSOC: Performance: Improve Load Balancer (Scala)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMDEV-277
OpenWhisk GSOC: New Runtimes: (TypeScript, C#, .Net, Kotlin, Dart, Rust, R,
Ruby)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMDEV-278
OpenWhisk GSOC: SDKs via Swagger (Python, Java, Scala, PHP, Go)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMDEV-279
OpenWhisk GSOC: Dev Experience: IDE Debugging (VSCode, IntelliJ)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMDEV-280
OpenWhisk GSOC: WebSite & Sandbox (HTML/JS/CSS)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMDEV-281

-- Carlos Santana
OpenWhisk PPMC