Questions on incubator releases

Tsz Wo Sze-2
Hi,

The release VOTE has been passed in both the Podling dev list [1] and
the Incubator's general list [2] for Apache Ratis.  I also have copied
the RC to dist/release so that it is available at [3].

My questions are:
(q1) Our release is a source release, could we distribute binaries
through other channels like the central Maven repository as described
in [4]?

(q2) If the answer of q1 is yes, do we need to prepare different
LICENSE and NOTICE files for the binaries?  The jar files distributed
over Maven are going to contain some third party binaries not included
in the source release.

Thank you in advance.
Tsz-Wo
-----------------------
[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/eb0df0548299ae98e68c0067e43d9747a67e92a459cedbe55b56425d@%3Cdev.ratis.apache.org%3E

[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/ecb8ef1ce6c32995531cae1121a86522e34bfd6e64067b34dbb9dd8a@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

[3] http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/ratis/0.1.0-alpha/

[4] http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases

Re: Questions on incubator releases

John D. Ament-2
On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 7:14 PM Tsz Wo Sze <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The release VOTE has been passed in both the Podling dev list [1] and
> the Incubator's general list [2] for Apache Ratis.  I also have copied
> the RC to dist/release so that it is available at [3].
>
> My questions are:
> (q1) Our release is a source release, could we distribute binaries
> through other channels like the central Maven repository as described
> in [4]?

Yes, though typically the staged maven repo is reviewed as a part of the
release.  Something to do for next time, but assuming you've already been
setup go for it.

> (q2) If the answer of q1 is yes, do we need to prepare different
> LICENSE and NOTICE files for the binaries?  The jar files distributed
> over Maven are going to contain some third party binaries not included
> in the source release.

Is there anything different about your binaries?  The only reason they
would be different is if you've shaded in other libraries to your JARs
causing the original LICENSE/NOTICE to be invalid.  In most cases this is
not the case.

Re: Questions on incubator releases

> Yes, though typically the staged maven repo is reviewed as a part of the
> release.

+1 best to review and vote on both at once

>> (q2) If the answer of q1 is yes, do we need to prepare different
>> LICENSE and NOTICE files for the binaries?

IMO the answer is likely to be yes. In a lot of cases convenience binaries bundle other software and the license and notice need to reflect that.

However if binaries consist of only the complied source and contain no other 3rd party jars then they would be identical.