Question about mixed source documentation

Question about mixed source documentation

Johnson, Eric
If I am contributing documentation to a project using Confluence wiki,
but also need to write commercial documentation for a product based on
the Apache project what is the appropriate approach from a licensing
point of view? The commercial documentation will not be created using
Confluence, but in an XML framework.

Re: Question about mixed source documentation

Ted Husted
By contributing the documentation, you are assigning an non-exclusive,
non-revocable copywrite to that version of the material. If you are
also using the same material elsewhere, and also grant that entity a
copyright, that's OK, because the copyright to ASF is non-exclusive.

An essential question is whether the material is yours or a
work-for-hire. If it is a work-for-hire, then entity hiring you would
need to file a CCLA to cover the grant.

-Ted.

On 10/9/06, Johnson, Eric <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If I am contributing documentation to a project using Confluence wiki,
> but also need to write commercial documentation for a product based on
> the Apache project what is the appropriate approach from a licensing
> point of view? The commercial documentation will not be created using
> Confluence, but in an XML framework.

Re: Question about mixed source documentation

Leo Simons
Hi Eric,

 From the ASF point of view, it is your responsibility to ensure you
can contribute the thing you're contributing (under CLA and/or CCLA).

 From your employer's point of view, this is probably a good question
to ask your lawyer / legal people. Basically you need to make sure
there that the commercial documentation doesn't accidentially import
ASF-owned or licensed IP, or that when you do, you follow the ASL terms.

cheers,

LSD

On Oct 9, 2006, at 4:50 PM, Johnson, Eric wrote:
> If I am contributing documentation to a project using Confluence wiki,
> but also need to write commercial documentation for a product based on
> the Apache project what is the appropriate approach from a licensing
> point of view? The commercial documentation will not be created using
> Confluence, but in an XML framework.

Re: Question about mixed source documentation

William A Rowe Jr
Ted Husted wrote:
> By contributing the documentation, you are assigning an non-exclusive,
> non-revocable copywrite to that version of the material.

Essentially correct, but did you mean "copyright license" :?

But yes - not exclusive - you can republish _your_ own contributions under
different license, in a different context, to a different audience; however
you want to reuse _your_ work (it always remains yours.)