Podlings likely missing mentors

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Podlings likely missing mentors

Justin Mclean
Hi,

Here the list of podlings that currently have one or two mentors in their roster:
Annotator
Daffodil
Milagro
Myriad
ODF toolkit
Pony mail
Quickstep
S2Graph
Spot
Superset
Tamaya
Unomi
Warble

And the list that are likely to have only one or two active mentors:
Airflow
Batchee
Crail
Edgent
Hivemail
Omid
Openwhisk
Samoa
Sdap
Sensoft
Servicecomb
Slider
Tephra
Toree
Weex

It seems that 3 mentors tend to work well. Now it may be that there are reasons that having only one or two mentors is fine as:
- The project is about to retire or graduate
- They are very active mentors
- The podling doesn't need much help

I believe the reason 3 mentor were originally needed was to get incubator votes on releases through which has become less of an issue now, although we currently still have some outstanding votes.

Do any of the podlings listed above think they need an extra mentor? Or do other mentors on those projects think another is required? A few e.g. (Annotator, Daffodil, Milagro) have been discussed already.

Thanks,
Justin
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Podlings likely missing mentors

lewis john mcgibbney-2
Hi Justin,

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 12:39 AM <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> From: Justin Mclean <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Cc:
> Bcc:
> Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2018 08:36:52 +1000
> Subject: Podlings likely missing mentors
> Hi,
>
>
[snip]


>
> Do any of the podlings listed above think they need an extra mentor? Or do
> other mentors on those projects think another is required? A few e.g.
> (Annotator, Daffodil, Milagro) have been discussed already.
>
>
I think SensSoft could do with another Mentor. We are approaching some
rebranding issues, we also wish to really get going on graduation and
another set of eyes on the podling at this critical stage would be very
helpful indeed.
Lewis
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Podlings likely missing mentors

Josh Elser
In reply to this post by Justin Mclean
Justin -- I thought we retired the Slider podling. Going off my mail
client, INFRA-16568 tracked this and was done at the end of May.

Maybe some podling metadata didn't get cleaned up fully?

On 10/2/18 6:36 PM, Justin Mclean wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here the list of podlings that currently have one or two mentors in their roster:
> Annotator
> Daffodil
> Milagro
> Myriad
> ODF toolkit
> Pony mail
> Quickstep
> S2Graph
> Spot
> Superset
> Tamaya
> Unomi
> Warble
>
> And the list that are likely to have only one or two active mentors:
> Airflow
> Batchee
> Crail
> Edgent
> Hivemail
> Omid
> Openwhisk
> Samoa
> Sdap
> Sensoft
> Servicecomb
> Slider
> Tephra
> Toree
> Weex
>
> It seems that 3 mentors tend to work well. Now it may be that there are reasons that having only one or two mentors is fine as:
> - The project is about to retire or graduate
> - They are very active mentors
> - The podling doesn't need much help
>
> I believe the reason 3 mentor were originally needed was to get incubator votes on releases through which has become less of an issue now, although we currently still have some outstanding votes.
>
> Do any of the podlings listed above think they need an extra mentor? Or do other mentors on those projects think another is required? A few e.g. (Annotator, Daffodil, Milagro) have been discussed already.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Podlings likely missing mentors

Justin Mclean-2
Hi,

That was put in to see if anyone was paying attention:-)

Thanks,
Justin

On 4 Oct. 2018 9:17 am, "Josh Elser" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Justin -- I thought we retired the Slider podling. Going off my mail
client, INFRA-16568 tracked this and was done at the end of May.

Maybe some podling metadata didn't get cleaned up fully?


On 10/2/18 6:36 PM, Justin Mclean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here the list of podlings that currently have one or two mentors in their
roster:

> Annotator
> Daffodil
> Milagro
> Myriad
> ODF toolkit
> Pony mail
> Quickstep
> S2Graph
> Spot
> Superset
> Tamaya
> Unomi
> Warble
>
> And the list that are likely to have only one or two active mentors:
> Airflow
> Batchee
> Crail
> Edgent
> Hivemail
> Omid
> Openwhisk
> Samoa
> Sdap
> Sensoft
> Servicecomb
> Slider
> Tephra
> Toree
> Weex
>
> It seems that 3 mentors tend to work well. Now it may be that there are
reasons that having only one or two mentors is fine as:
> - The project is about to retire or graduate
> - They are very active mentors
> - The podling doesn't need much help
>
> I believe the reason 3 mentor were originally needed was to get incubator
votes on releases through which has become less of an issue now, although
we currently still have some outstanding votes.
>
> Do any of the podlings listed above think they need an extra mentor? Or
do other mentors on those projects think another is required? A few e.g.
(Annotator, Daffodil, Milagro) have been discussed already.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Podlings likely missing mentors

Josh Elser
Well, then. Mark that up as my "one" for the year ;)

Thanks boss.

On 10/3/18 7:19 PM, Justin Mclean wrote:

> Hi,
>
> That was put in to see if anyone was paying attention:-)
>
> Thanks,
> Justin
>
> On 4 Oct. 2018 9:17 am, "Josh Elser" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Justin -- I thought we retired the Slider podling. Going off my mail
> client, INFRA-16568 tracked this and was done at the end of May.
>
> Maybe some podling metadata didn't get cleaned up fully?
>
>
> On 10/2/18 6:36 PM, Justin Mclean wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Here the list of podlings that currently have one or two mentors in their
> roster:
>> Annotator
>> Daffodil
>> Milagro
>> Myriad
>> ODF toolkit
>> Pony mail
>> Quickstep
>> S2Graph
>> Spot
>> Superset
>> Tamaya
>> Unomi
>> Warble
>>
>> And the list that are likely to have only one or two active mentors:
>> Airflow
>> Batchee
>> Crail
>> Edgent
>> Hivemail
>> Omid
>> Openwhisk
>> Samoa
>> Sdap
>> Sensoft
>> Servicecomb
>> Slider
>> Tephra
>> Toree
>> Weex
>>
>> It seems that 3 mentors tend to work well. Now it may be that there are
> reasons that having only one or two mentors is fine as:
>> - The project is about to retire or graduate
>> - They are very active mentors
>> - The podling doesn't need much help
>>
>> I believe the reason 3 mentor were originally needed was to get incubator
> votes on releases through which has become less of an issue now, although
> we currently still have some outstanding votes.
>>
>> Do any of the podlings listed above think they need an extra mentor? Or
> do other mentors on those projects think another is required? A few e.g.
> (Annotator, Daffodil, Milagro) have been discussed already.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Justin
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Podlings likely missing mentors

Adam Feng
Hi, Justin

Just copy discussion in private@weex to this thread and explain our demands for extra active mentors.

We sent a mail to all the mentors in May and only Willem responded.  Missing active mentors is a big problem to Weex community and we mentioned it in last podling reports.

> From late last year, we see some progress has been made within the community, but definitely that is not enough. We held the 3rd WeexConf as well as the meetup in Shenzhen during this year, which is widely acknowledged by the Weex community and developers mainly from China; The activities in the mail list has increased, but still varies time to time; and we have new contributors from PayTM, Tencent and other companies, but still need more contribution to be a committer; and the community release has been blocked by the Yoga replacement, the work has been done recently and we are preparing for a new release in the near future.
>
> From my perspective, this is still a young community and need to be cultivated with your help. I’ve talked with the committers and main contributors of this project, from them I see the enthusiasm and belief in the open source and community, even they don’t quite know how exactly to make things right under the Apache way, especially under such a pressure of their job work. So I hope we can still receive your guidance as a mentor and continue to help this project to graduate, if you still have time and passion to follow up.

The next big thing is the community release, we hope to make it done asap,  we studies hard to be familiar with the procedure and have made 5 release candidates.  We sent a release vote to general@ nearly a month ago,  we still need one more +1 but no feedback.  Maybe it is also due to the lack of active mentors.

So we will be very appreciated if anyone would like to be our mentor and help us with the incubating journey.


Thanks.
Adam Feng
在 2018年10月4日 +0800 PM10:47,Josh Elser <[hidden email]>,写道:

> Well, then. Mark that up as my "one" for the year ;)
>
> Thanks boss.
>
> On 10/3/18 7:19 PM, Justin Mclean wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > That was put in to see if anyone was paying attention:-)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Justin
> >
> > On 4 Oct. 2018 9:17 am, "Josh Elser" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Justin -- I thought we retired the Slider podling. Going off my mail
> > client, INFRA-16568 tracked this and was done at the end of May.
> >
> > Maybe some podling metadata didn't get cleaned up fully?
> >
> >
> > On 10/2/18 6:36 PM, Justin Mclean wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Here the list of podlings that currently have one or two mentors in their
> > roster:
> > > Annotator
> > > Daffodil
> > > Milagro
> > > Myriad
> > > ODF toolkit
> > > Pony mail
> > > Quickstep
> > > S2Graph
> > > Spot
> > > Superset
> > > Tamaya
> > > Unomi
> > > Warble
> > >
> > > And the list that are likely to have only one or two active mentors:
> > > Airflow
> > > Batchee
> > > Crail
> > > Edgent
> > > Hivemail
> > > Omid
> > > Openwhisk
> > > Samoa
> > > Sdap
> > > Sensoft
> > > Servicecomb
> > > Slider
> > > Tephra
> > > Toree
> > > Weex
> > >
> > > It seems that 3 mentors tend to work well. Now it may be that there are
> > reasons that having only one or two mentors is fine as:
> > > - The project is about to retire or graduate
> > > - They are very active mentors
> > > - The podling doesn't need much help
> > >
> > > I believe the reason 3 mentor were originally needed was to get incubator
> > votes on releases through which has become less of an issue now, although
> > we currently still have some outstanding votes.
> > >
> > > Do any of the podlings listed above think they need an extra mentor? Or
> > do other mentors on those projects think another is required? A few e.g.
> > (Annotator, Daffodil, Milagro) have been discussed already.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Justin
> > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> > > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
> > >
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
> >
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Podlings likely missing mentors

Justin Mclean

Hi Adam,

Thanks for hat perspective it helps.

The issue I think you may currently have in an inattentive PPMC, rather than a lack of mentors (although that may not also help), you have 10 people on the PPMC but they missed repeated enquires on the the dev and private lists.

> The next big thing is the community release, we hope to make it done asap,  we studies hard to be familiar with the procedure and have made 5 release candidates.  We sent a release vote to general@ nearly a month ago,  we still need one more +1 but no feedback.  Maybe it is also due to the lack of active mentors.

Mentors are IPMC member so their vote counts, but there usually enough IPMC members who vote on release that they don’t mentor, I’ve already voted so can’t vote twice. I would just ask again and emphasise how long the vote has been hanging.

Thanks,
Justin
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]