PROPOSAL : Apache Harmony - J2SE 5 Project

PROPOSAL : Apache Harmony - J2SE 5 Project

geirm
Dear Incubator PMC :

We, the sponsoring members listed below, ask that you accept the
following proposal for a new project at Apache, an effort centered
around architecting and implementing J2SE 5.

Note to all :

We have established a list for discussions to keep project-specific
mail traffic from overwhelming the general incubator list.  Unless
your comment is directed to the general Incubator community or the
Incubator PMC, please post everything Harmony-related to :

     [hidden email]

You can subscribe by sending an email to

     [hidden email]

Until this proposal has been accepted by the Apache Incubator PMC,
these lists are provisional and do not constitute official lists for
the project.

Project Harmony
===============

Motivation
----------

There is a clear need for an open-source version of Java 2, Standard
Edition (J2SE) runtime platform, and there are many ongoing efforts
to produce solutions (Kaffe, Classpath, etc).  There are also efforts
that provide alternative approaches to execution of Java bytecode
(GCJ and IKVM).  All of these efforts provide a diversity of
solutions, which is healthy, but barriers exist which prevent these
efforts from reaching a greater potential.

Proposal
--------

We propose that we create a new Apache project, Harmony, that will
achieve the following goals :

1) create a Compatible, independent implementation of J2SE 5
   under the Apache License v2

2) create a community-developed modular runtime (VM and class library)
   architecture to allow independent implementations to share runtime
   components, and allow independent innovation in runtime components

In doing so, we intend to create a broad, collaborative community of
contributors, implementors and users of the modular platform
specification.

To begin, we propose the following as a basic architectural blueprint
as a starting point for our discussion :

      http://people.apache.org/~geirm/harmony.jpg

We will create directly, via inclusion of independent third-party
code, or through contribution :

a) a freely implementable specification of a modular VM
   and class library that allows for multiple, independent
   implementations

b) a test suite for interoperability testing of the modules

c) an implementation under the Apache License of the modular VM

d) a class library under the Apache License compatible with
   the J2SE 5 specification that implements the defined interfaces

We will start with this mechanism because we desire to :

- have a simple plan upon which coding can immediately begin

- ensure that we have a focal point to begin the conversation
   among interested members of the community

- have a clearly defined set of technical needs to allow
   potential contributors, either code contributors or
   individual participants, a basis for consideration

- ensure that this is a community effort - together we will
   architect and implement via fresh new code or donation

- produce a set of specifications/designs allowing multiple
   interoperable implementations that allow for sharing,
   extension and innovation

We propose that the following people are considered the starting
participants. This set represents members from across the community,
this diversity a factor we wish to start with and preserve as we grow.

These individuals have expressed an interest in participating in the
architecture and design work.  The information in parenthesis
indicates other community participation or relevant experiences of
that individual :

   Guy Churchward (individual w/ commercial VM experience)
   Joakim Dahlstedt (individual w/ commercial VM experience)
   Jeroen Frijters (IKVM)
   Geir Magnusson Jr. (Apache)
   Ricardo Morin (individual w/ commercial VM experience)
   Georges Saab (individual w/ commercial VM experience)
   Bruno Souza (SOUJava)
   Davanum Srinivas (Apache)
   Dalibor Topic (Kaffe)
   Tom Tromey (GCJ)
   Weldon Washburn (individual w/ commercial VM experience)
   Mark Wielaard (Classpath)

and the following individuals have expressed interest in
participating as committers for the Apache-licensed implementation :

   Jeroen Frijters (IKVM)
   Ben Laurie (Apache)
   Geir Magnusson Jr. (Apache)
   Ricardo Morin (individual w/ commercial VM experience)
   Bruno Souza (SOUJava)
   Davanum Srinivas (Apache)
   Dalibor Topic (Kaffe)
   Tom Tromey (GCJ)
   Weldon Washburn (individual w/ commercial VM experience)

These individuals will participate as Incubator Mentors :

   Noel Bergman
   Ben Laurie
   Geir Magnusson Jr.
   Stefano Mazzocchi
   Sam Ruby
   Leo Simons
   Davanum Srinivas

The following Apache Members will be the sponsoring members :

   Noel Bergman
   Jason Hunter
   Ben Laurie
   Ted Leung
   Geir Magnusson Jr.
   Stefano Mazzocchi
   Sam Ruby
   Leo Simons
   Davanum Srinivas

The following community members support this effort :

   Danese Cooper
   Brian Goetz
   Doug Lea

Operating Considerations
------------------------

0) We have established a list for discussions.  Unless your comment
is directed to the general Incubator community or the Incubator PMC,
please post everything to :

     [hidden email]

You can subscribe by sending an email to

     [hidden email]

Until this proposal has been accepted by the Apache Incubator PMC,
these lists are provisional.

1) Due to the various known and unknown risk factors of this project,
we propose that in addition to the required Individual Contributor
License Agreement (ICLA) we shall require that any committer to
Harmony will have a Corporate Contributor License Agreement (CCLA),
when appropriate, on file with the ASF Secretary, and will keep that
document current with respect to current employer to preserve
committer status.  We do this in order to help protect the community,
both contributors and users, from unauthorized incorporation of code
or other intellectual property.

2) Historically, there has been wide exposure to VM and class-library-
specific source code that is the property of Sun Microsystems as well
as others, as it is common for commercial J2SE implementations to be
based on licensed Sun code.  We wish to make every effort to ensure
that the licenses and rights of external projects and efforts is
properly respected.  To that end, we will explore additional ways to
work with the Apache Incubator to ensure that all IP is carefully
monitored and tracked as it enters the project.

--
Geir Magnusson Jr                                  +1-203-665-6437

Re: PROPOSAL : Apache Harmony - J2SE 5 Project

geirm
+1 from me (wearing PMC hat)

geir

On May 6, 2005, at 6:51 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> [...]
> protect the community, both contributors and users, from
> unauthorized incorporation of code or other intellectual property.
>
> 2) Historically, there has been wide exposure to VM and class-
> library-specific source code that is the property of Sun
> Microsystems as well as others, as it is common for commercial J2SE
> implementations to be based on licensed Sun code.  We wish to make
> every effort to ensure that the licenses and rights of external
> projects and efforts is properly respected.  To that end, we will
> explore additional ways to work with the Apache Incubator to ensure
> that all IP is carefully monitored and tracked as it enters the
> project.
>

> --
> Geir Magnusson Jr                                  +1-203-665-6437

Re: PROPOSAL : Apache Harmony - J2SE 5 Project

Not that I get to vote...but I have been stumping for this for 6+
years, so...

++1

Danese

On May 6, 2005, at 4:11 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> [...]
>> current employer to preserve committer status.  We do this in
>> order to help protect the community, both contributors and users,
>> from unauthorized incorporation of code or other intellectual
>> property.
>>
>> 2) Historically, there has been wide exposure to VM and class-
>> library-specific source code that is the property of Sun
>> Microsystems as well as others, as it is common for commercial
>> J2SE implementations to be based on licensed Sun code.  We wish to
>> make every effort to ensure that the licenses and rights of
>> external projects and efforts is properly respected.  To that end,
>> we will explore additional ways to work with the Apache Incubator
>> to ensure that all IP is carefully monitored and tracked as it
>> enters the project.
>>

>> --
>> Geir Magnusson Jr                                  +1-203-665-6437

[VOTE]: On " PROPOSAL : Apache Harmony - J2SE 5 Project"

Noel J. Bergman

        --- Noel

Danese Cooper wrote:

> Not that I get to vote...but I have been stumping for this
> for 6+ years, so.
> ++1

Expressions of support are always welcomed.  As are you.  :-)

        --- Noel

Re: [VOTE]: On " PROPOSAL : Apache Harmony - J2SE 5 Project"

Alex Karasulu-4
-Alex

Re: [VOTE]: On " PROPOSAL : Apache Harmony - J2SE 5 Project"

dims
+1 from me

-- dims

On 5/6/05, Noel J. Bergman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1
>
>         --- Noel

Re: [VOTE]: On " PROPOSAL : Apache Harmony - J2SE 5 Project"

Geir Magnusson Jr.-2

On May 6, 2005, at 7:18 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> +1
>
>     --- Noel

Re: PROPOSAL : Apache Harmony - J2SE 5 Project

Erik Hatcher

On May 6, 2005, at 7:16 PM, Danese Cooper wrote:

> Not that I get to vote...but I have been stumping for this for 6+
> years, so...
>
> ++1
>
> Danese

On Danese's tail... +1 from me.

     Erik

Re: PROPOSAL : Apache Harmony - J2SE 5 Project

Roy T. Fielding

....Roy

Re: PROPOSAL : Apache Harmony - J2SE 5 Project

Cliff Schmidt
On 5/6/05, Geir Magnusson Jr. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear Incubator PMC :
>
> We, the sponsoring members listed below, ask that you accept the
> following proposal for a new project at Apache, an effort centered
> around architecting and implementing J2SE 5.

+1

Cliff

Re: PROPOSAL : Apache Harmony - J2SE 5 Project

Sam Ruby-2
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Dear Incubator PMC :
>
> We, the sponsoring members listed below, ask that you accept the
> following proposal for a new project at Apache, an effort centered
> around architecting and implementing J2SE 5.

+1

- Sam Ruby

Re: PROPOSAL : Apache Harmony - J2SE 5 Project

Bruce Snyder
On 5/6/05, Geir Magnusson Jr. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We, the sponsoring members listed below, ask that you accept the
> following proposal for a new project at Apache, an effort centered
> around architecting and implementing J2SE 5.

+1

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: PROPOSAL : Apache Harmony - J2SE 5 Project

Ted Leung-5

Re: PROPOSAL : Apache Harmony - J2SE 5 Project

Graham Leggett
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> We, the sponsoring members listed below, ask that you accept the
> following proposal for a new project at Apache, an effort centered
> around architecting and implementing J2SE 5.

+1.

Regards,
Graham

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: [VOTE]: On " PROPOSAL : Apache Harmony - J2SE 5 Project"

Paul Hammant
-1 I'm not sure the

On May 6, 2005, at 6:18 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> +1
>
> --- Noel

Re: [VOTE]: On " PROPOSAL : Apache Harmony - J2SE 5 Project"

Paul Hammant
+1 provided copyright and trademark issues are appropriately considered.

For instance, we may have to always mechanically  refer the project and
product(s) as "Apache Harmony" rather than just Harmony.

     http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=8rlf0q.2.1

- Paul

On May 7, 2005, at 4:06 PM, Paul Hammant wrote:

> +1 provided copyright and trademark issues are appropriately
> considered.

So right now, you are at 0 :)

> For instance, we may have to always mechanically  refer the project
> and product(s) as "Apache Harmony" rather than just Harmony.
>
>     http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=8rlf0q.2.1

If we have a name problem, we change it.  And yes, we refer to things
that are Apache $foo projects as Apache $foo unless we can't use $foo
for software....

geir

> - Paul
>
> On May 6, 2005, at 6:18 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>

>> +1
>>
>>     --- Noel

Geir Magnusson Jr                                  +1-203-665-6437

Re: [VOTE]: On " PROPOSAL : Apache Harmony - J2SE 5 Project"

Paul Hammant
Yeah yeah, its a confusing Saturday so far. I was -ve to start with
(pointless with given size of vote so far) thinking there were some
legal problems. I read more before completing the mail (rules for J2SE
implementations from the OSS community) and figured that the angles had
been covered thoroughly by foundation lawyers, and send the +ve vote
instead (as a new mail). Unfortunately, the -ve response I drafted
earlier sat beckoning me to hit send as it languished in my drafts
folder. In a moment sheer impudence, and unbeknownst to my conscious
mind, my right hand released it from the Mac-Mail draft folder instead
of deleting it.

Thus ignore the -1 mail.

The thing I think is most interesting, is the possibility of writing a
JVM first, for language compatibility, then an AWT toolkit and all the
things that bind the Java env to a machine (
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/awt/Toolkit.html etc).

At that stage, and well in advance of the completion the J2SE
libraries, an individual in the privacy of their own home could
experiment with the those two and the jars taken from a regular Sun
download of J2SE. Of course nothing could be distributed with those
jars, nor deployed or redistributed beyond that experimental basis as
Java's download license precludes that.

- Paul

On May 7, 2005, at 4:32 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On May 7, 2005, at 3:39 PM, Paul Hammant wrote:
>> -1 I'm not sure the
>>

> On May 7, 2005, at 4:06 PM, Paul Hammant wrote:
>
>> +1 provided copyright and trademark issues are appropriately
>> considered.
>>

> So right now, you are at 0 :)
>
>> For instance, we may have to always mechanically  refer the project
>> and product(s) as "Apache Harmony" rather than just Harmony.
>>
>>     http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=8rlf0q.2.1
>
> If we have a name problem, we change it.  And yes, we refer to things
> that are Apache $foo projects as Apache $foo unless we can't use $foo
> for software....
>
> geir
>

>> - Paul
>>
>> On May 6, 2005, at 6:18 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>

>>> +1
>>>
>>>     --- Noel

> Geir Magnusson Jr                                  +1-203-665-6437

Re: [VOTE]: On " PROPOSAL : Apache Harmony - J2SE 5 Project"

Niclas Hedhman
On Saturday 07 May 2005 07:18, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> +1

+0  (positive, but won't be able to contribute, but there seems to be too many
in that area already)

Cheers
Niclas