OFBiz: we need help to complete the NOTICE and LICENSE files

OFBiz: we need help to complete the NOTICE and LICENSE files

Jacopo Cappellato
Hi all,

I'm one of the committers of the incubating OFBiz project:

http://incubator.apache.org/projects/ofbiz.html

As you can see from the status page we have mostly completed all the
required tasks, and we are now working to produce a Test Snapshot
Release (just to demonstrate that the community will be capable of
preparing an official Apache release in the future).

We have some problems in preparing the LICENSE and NOTICE files and we
will greatly appreciate any help on this.

Here is the list of libraries from other projects (and their licenses)
that we distribute with OFBiz:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Libraries+Included+in+OFBiz

and here are the drafts for the LICENSE

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ofbiz/trunk/LICENSE

and NOTICE

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ofbiz/trunk/NOTICE

files.

Are we doing things in the right way?
Please help to fill the gaps to complete the two files since this task
is really blocking the OFBiz incubation.

For your convenience, I've attached to this mail the output of the RAT tool.

Thanks,

Jacopo

rat_ofbiz.zip (55K) Download Attachment

Re: OFBiz: we need help to complete the NOTICE and LICENSE files

Leo Simons
IANAL. I believe we still don't have definitive templates for these
files :(

On Oct 20, 2006, at 5:30 PM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ofbiz/trunk/LICENSE

I think this looks good.

> and NOTICE
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ofbiz/trunk/NOTICE

I think this looks good, too. However, it has some content at the
bottom:

Apache 2.0
JDBM LICENSE v1.00 (BSD)

which I guess can be removed.

> Are we doing things in the right way?

I think so.

cheers,

Leo

Re: OFBiz: we need help to complete the NOTICE and LICENSE files

David E Jones-2

On Oct 20, 2006, at 9:38 AM, Leo Simons wrote:

> I think this looks good, too. However, it has some content at the
> bottom:

> Apache 2.0
> JDBM LICENSE v1.00 (BSD)
>
> which I guess can be removed.

Thanks for the feedback Leo. I just committed a change to the NOTICE
file to remove this section. It is available at the same place:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ofbiz/trunk/NOTICE

With these basic entries in place, if I understand it right, the next
step for the NOTICE file is to go through all of the NOTICE files of
libraries and such and we include, and to more or less copy their
contents into our NOTICE file.

Is that correct?

Thanks,
-David

Re: OFBiz: we need help to complete the NOTICE and LICENSE files

robert burrell donkin-2
On 10/21/06, David E Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Oct 20, 2006, at 9:38 AM, Leo Simons wrote:
>
> > I think this looks good, too. However, it has some content at the
> > bottom:

> > Apache 2.0
> > JDBM LICENSE v1.00 (BSD)
> >
> > which I guess can be removed.
>
> Thanks for the feedback Leo. I just committed a change to the NOTICE
> file to remove this section. It is available at the same place:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ofbiz/trunk/NOTICE

looks good to me

> With these basic entries in place, if I understand it right, the next
> step for the NOTICE file is to go through all of the NOTICE files of
> libraries and such and we include, and to more or less copy their
> contents into our NOTICE file.
>
> Is that correct?

yep

- robert

On 10/20/06, Leo Simons <[hidden email]> wrote:
> IANAL. I believe we still don't have definitive templates for these
> files :(

templates probably won't work in this case: a project can adopt any
format that satisfies the legal policy requirements. explanation with
examples (http://incubator.apache.org/guides/examples/LICENSE) would
probably work better in this case.

- robert

Re: OFBiz: we need help to complete the NOTICE and LICENSE files

robert burrell donkin-2
On 10/20/06, Leo Simons <[hidden email]> wrote:

<snip>

> On Oct 20, 2006, at 5:30 PM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ofbiz/trunk/LICENSE
>
> I think this looks good.

+1

some project use a format that details only those files which deviate
from the collective license (for example see
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/examples/LICENSE). i don't think
that the ofbiz approach is wrong (hopefully anyone who does will jump
in here) but suspect that it would be a good idea to add a brief
mention about the collective license into the preamble at the top
(hopefully, anyone who thinks that i might have this wrong will jump
in).

just FYI legal-discuss is the canonical forum for questions.
committers should feel free to post questions such as these on there.

- robert