Naming was: Release 1.5.1 of NetBeans HTML/Java API

Naming was: Release 1.5.1 of NetBeans HTML/Java API

Jaroslav Tulach-2

> On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 10:27 PM, Jaroslav Tulach
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > ...I'd
> > like to ask you to hold the Incubator PMC vote to release:
> >
> > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/netbeans/
>
> +1 for the release of
> SHA1(incubating-netbeans-html4j-1.5.1.zip)=
> f33391e801d03026f3ca2e989976d264e9750888
>
> Checked the signatures, digests, build and depencencies/notice/license
> files and rat plugin results.

Thanks for the check, Bertrand.

> Nitpick: DISCLAIMER uses "HTML APIs via Java" as the project name, I
> think the project name should include the word "NetBeans"

True, the project is part of NetBeans Apache incubation, so it should not
be ashamed to share the NetBeans name. I can change that for next version,
unless following convinces you that it is not needed:

People usually associate NetBeans with the image of an IDE. Or (at most)
with the image of general desktop application platform. However HTML/Java
API is different - it is heavily portable API that works everywrhere - it
is almost like "Cordova for Java". The API is part of NetBeans as it allows
us to write parts of the IDE in HTML5. However to stress the general
purpose usefulness of the API I hesitated to highlight the relation with
NetBeans in previous pre-Apache releases. That is the reason while I was
avoiding mentions of NetBeans in the name of the API.
-jt

Re: Naming was: Release 1.5.1 of NetBeans HTML/Java API

Bertrand Delacretaz
Hi,

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 9:40 AM, Jaroslav Tulach
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> ...People usually associate NetBeans with the image of an IDE. Or (at most)
> with the image of general desktop application platform. However HTML/Java
> API is different - it is heavily portable API that works everywrhere - it
> is almost like "Cordova for Java"...

From an Apache point of view it's important IMO that projects be
associated with their (P)PMCs, so NetBeans in your case.

I understand what you're saying about that module being fairly
independent of the IDE - I suppose that can be expressed in the
modules description.

I suggest discussing the details on the NetBeans dev list.

-Bertrand