Manually created binary data in ASF repos?

Manually created binary data in ASF repos?

Christofer Dutz
Hi all,

I have a little question regarding binary data in ASF repos.
I know the policy that an ASF release should not have binary files in them. The problem I am having is that I’m currently writing integration-tests for PLC4X. Most of the protocols we are implementing there are binary protocols. In order to test the drivers I hereby need to send binary data to the implementations in order to test they are functioning correctly.

Now I could define huge byte arrays in my unit-tests, or I could write them in form of separate files. Last option had the benefit of being able to for example open them with WireShark and have a look at them.

For this I would like to save the test-cases as pcapng files. However these are per definition: binary data.

Would it be ok to add this type of files, or do I have to add them in-line with my test-code as byte arrays?

Chris

Re: Manually created binary data in ASF repos?

Justin Mclean-3
Hi,

> I have a little question regarding binary data in ASF repos.

IMO It’s only compiled code that’s not allowed, other binary formats like image, pdfs, fonts etc ect are all OK so this should also be OK. I can point to a number of releases reviewed here that have had binary files (but not compiled source code) in them. Might be a good to label them clearly so anyone who looks know what they are.

Re: Manually created binary data in ASF repos?

Daniel Gruno-2
On 02/12/2018 09:42 AM, Justin Mclean wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I have a little question regarding binary data in ASF repos.
>
> IMO It’s only compiled code that’s not allowed, other binary formats like image, pdfs, fonts etc ect are all OK so this should also be OK. I can point to a number of releases reviewed here that have had binary files (but not compiled source code) in them. Might be a good to label them clearly so anyone who looks know what they are.

Totally fine, yep.
The reasoning is, we can't vote on binary _code_, only the source.
If the binary data is test data, there is nothing to _code_ to verify.
There are plenty of examples. We don't vote on JPEGs and PNGs either ;)

Re: Manually created binary data in ASF repos?

Christofer Dutz
Aaahh great ... happy to hear that.

Well then I'll definitely go the path of using these binary test-data files and as they will have the ending ".pcapng" I guess most people will immediately know what they are and we'll also point it out in the readme or where it fits best.

Chris

Am 12.02.18, 09:45 schrieb "Daniel Gruno" <[hidden email]>:

    On 02/12/2018 09:42 AM, Justin Mclean wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    >> I have a little question regarding binary data in ASF repos.
    >
    > IMO It’s only compiled code that’s not allowed, other binary formats like image, pdfs, fonts etc ect are all OK so this should also be OK. I can point to a number of releases reviewed here that have had binary files (but not compiled source code) in them. Might be a good to label them clearly so anyone who looks know what they are.

    Totally fine, yep.
    The reasoning is, we can't vote on binary _code_, only the source.
    If the binary data is test data, there is nothing to _code_ to verify.
    There are plenty of examples. We don't vote on JPEGs and PNGs either ;)

Re: Manually created binary data in ASF repos?

Greg Stein-4
On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 2:45 AM, Daniel Gruno <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/12/2018 09:42 AM, Justin Mclean wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >> I have a little question regarding binary data in ASF repos.
> >
> > IMO It’s only compiled code that’s not allowed, other binary formats
> like image, pdfs, fonts etc ect are all OK so this should also be OK. I can
> point to a number of releases reviewed here that have had binary files (but
> not compiled source code) in them. Might be a good to label them clearly so
> anyone who looks know what they are.
>
> Totally fine, yep.
> The reasoning is, we can't vote on binary _code_, only the source.
> If the binary data is test data, there is nothing to _code_ to verify.
> There are plenty of examples. We don't vote on JPEGs and PNGs either ;)

Right. Apache Subversion has been shipping binary test blobs for *years*.
One example of its many artifacts can be seen:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/subversion/tests/cmdline/upgrade_tests_data/

I agree with Justin and Daniel. No compiled code, but blobs are fair game.
If the provenance is at question (eg. images collected from the Internet),
then a README is likely warranted to note their origin. If they arrived
under (say) a CC license, then they'd need further notation in
LICENSE/NOTICE.

Cheers,
-g