Incubator exit interview

I was just wondering if it would be a good idea to ask projects a few questions of committers/PPMC members once they leave the incubator to gauge how we are doing and find out where there is room for improvement? It would be simple to try as a proof of concept on a couple of graduating projects to see to we get any valuable feedback that we don’t normally get on this list or in the podling reports.

Some suggested questions off the top of my head:

Thinking about the project that you have just graduated as part of:
- I am a X committer X PMC member X mentor X none of those X rather not say
- How many times have you gone through the incubation process: X one X two X three X more than three
- Have you felt supported by the incubator? If not what could be improved?
- Have you felt supported by the your mentors? If not what could be improved?
- Did you run into any issues with any part of the incubating process? If so what?
- Was is clear what you needed to do to graduate?
- What, if anything, could be done to make the graduation process smoother?
- Is the time taken to graduate X too short? X just right? X too long?
- Do you have a good understanding of the Apache Way? If not what areas are you unclear on?
- Anything else you want to add or comment on?

Probably best if answers were anonymous. Anyone have any ideas for other questions or improvement to the above? I’d like to keep it under a dozen questions.

Re: Incubator exit interview

Sharan Foga
Hi Justin

I think this is a great idea and I might have a potential other
questions to add as I'm planning to do my MBA Thesis around Apache
Incubator and how it works in embedding the Apache culture and processes
into new projects. I'll start a new thread about this to see if there
are any specific topics that people think it would be good to cover.

Thanks
Sharan

On 08. 12. 18 4:15, Justin Mclean wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was just wondering if it would be a good idea to ask projects a few questions of committers/PPMC members once they leave the incubator to gauge how we are doing and find out where there is room for improvement? It would be simple to try as a proof of concept on a couple of graduating projects to see to we get any valuable feedback that we don’t normally get on this list or in the podling reports.
>
> Some suggested questions off the top of my head:
>
> Thinking about the project that you have just graduated as part of:
> - I am a X committer X PMC member X mentor X none of those X rather not say
> - How many times have you gone through the incubation process: X one X two X three X more than three
> - Have you felt supported by the incubator? If not what could be improved?
> - Have you felt supported by the your mentors? If not what could be improved?
> - Did you run into any issues with any part of the incubating process? If so what?
> - Was is clear what you needed to do to graduate?
> - What, if anything, could be done to make the graduation process smoother?
> - Is the time taken to graduate X too short? X just right? X too long?
> - Do you have a good understanding of the Apache Way? If not what areas are you unclear on?
> - Anything else you want to add or comment on?
>
> Probably best if answers were anonymous. Anyone have any ideas for other questions or improvement to the above? I’d like to keep it under a dozen questions.

Re: Incubator exit interview

Roman Shaposhnik
On Fri, Dec 7, 2018 at 7:15 PM Justin Mclean <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was just wondering if it would be a good idea to ask projects a few questions of committers/PPMC members once they leave the incubator to gauge how we are doing and find out where there is room for improvement? It would be simple to try as a proof of concept on a couple of graduating projects to see to we get any valuable feedback that we don’t normally get on this list or in the podling reports.
>
> Some suggested questions off the top of my head:
>
> Thinking about the project that you have just graduated as part of:
> - I am a X committer X PMC member X mentor X none of those X rather not say
> - How many times have you gone through the incubation process: X one X two X three X more than three
> - Have you felt supported by the incubator? If not what could be improved?
> - Have you felt supported by the your mentors? If not what could be improved?
> - Did you run into any issues with any part of the incubating process? If so what?
> - Was is clear what you needed to do to graduate?
> - What, if anything, could be done to make the graduation process smoother?
> - Is the time taken to graduate X too short? X just right? X too long?
> - Do you have a good understanding of the Apache Way? If not what areas are you unclear on?
> - Anything else you want to add or comment on?
>
> Probably best if answers were anonymous. Anyone have any ideas for other questions or improvement to the above? I’d like to keep it under a dozen questions.

I like this idea a lot! In fact, I like it so much that I'd really
love to see it as an on-going feedback rather than a one-time deal.

That, however, can be the next step I suppose.

So yeah: +1!

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Incubator exit interview

> I like this idea a lot! In fact, I like it so much that I'd really
> love to see it as an on-going feedback rather than a one-time deal.

Were you thinking something like after 6 month, 1 year and 2 years (if needed) in incubation? And also at graduation.

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 7:51 PM Justin Mclean <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I like this idea a lot! In fact, I like it so much that I'd really
> > love to see it as an on-going feedback rather than a one-time deal.
>
> Were you thinking something like after 6 month, 1 year and 2 years (if needed) in incubation? And also at graduation.

Yup. Basically ~6 months intervals.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Incubator exit interview

Jim Jagielski
Yeah... I remember chatting w/ you about this idea at ApacheCon... +1

> On Dec 7, 2018, at 10:15 PM, Justin Mclean <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I was just wondering if it would be a good idea to ask projects a few questions of committers/PPMC members once they leave the incubator to gauge how we are doing and find out where there is room for improvement? It would be simple to try as a proof of concept on a couple of graduating projects to see to we get any valuable feedback that we don’t normally get on this list or in the podling reports.
>
> Some suggested questions off the top of my head:
>
> Thinking about the project that you have just graduated as part of:
> - I am a X committer X PMC member X mentor X none of those X rather not say
> - How many times have you gone through the incubation process: X one X two X three X more than three
> - Have you felt supported by the incubator? If not what could be improved?
> - Have you felt supported by the your mentors? If not what could be improved?
> - Did you run into any issues with any part of the incubating process? If so what?
> - Was is clear what you needed to do to graduate?
> - What, if anything, could be done to make the graduation process smoother?
> - Is the time taken to graduate X too short? X just right? X too long?
> - Do you have a good understanding of the Apache Way? If not what areas are you unclear on?
> - Anything else you want to add or comment on?
>
> Probably best if answers were anonymous. Anyone have any ideas for other questions or improvement to the above? I’d like to keep it under a dozen questions.

Re: Incubator exit interview

Liang Chen
Hi

The idea is great, agree.
Whether need to add the number of releases like finishing 2 or 3 incubator
releases, or not?

Regards
Liang

Justin Mclean wrote

> Hi,
>
>> I like this idea a lot! In fact, I like it so much that I'd really
>> love to see it as an on-going feedback rather than a one-time deal.
>
> Were you thinking something like after 6 month, 1 year and 2 years (if
> needed) in incubation? And also at graduation.

Sent from: http://apache-incubator-general.996316.n3.nabble.com/

Re: Incubator exit interview

I’ve created a form here using google forms [1]. If anyone wants edit permission just ask.

Google forms seemed an easy way to do it, is free and you don’t need a google account in order to be able to fill it out.

Any suggestions for projects to try it out on? Airflow is a good candidate as they graduate this month.

1. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc2pjlEBpE0UYQyMm7j1oPiOtXaTU8OFiSxe7dycHDXFndQkw/viewform?usp=sf_link

Re: Incubator exit interview

Sharan Foga
Hi Justin

Thanks for putting this together. I took a quick look and have some suggestions (so perhaps getting the edit access would be good, if you are happy for me to change things).

The question about the Apache Way is a simple yes / no. I suppose no one is going to respond no when they have graduated or just about to graduate. If they do then that in itself is going to be something to investigate! The follow on part about finding out which bits people don't understand is very useful to capture. For the Apache way question I'd probably look at rephrasing it along the lines of

What does the Apache way mean to you?
What do you think are the most important aspects of Apache culture?
How would you describe the Apache Way?
What you you understand about the Apache Way?

The responses will be more text based and I hope will capture a bit more than a yes/no type question would. I am also keen to capture some potential feedback for my MBA thesis about Apache Incubator so would like to maybe add a question about if people think that there has been a culture change (i.e adapting to the Apache Way)

Thanks
Sharan

On 2018/12/15 22:11:42, Justin Mclean <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’ve created a form here using google forms [1]. If anyone wants edit permission just ask.
>
> Google forms seemed an easy way to do it, is free and you don’t need a google account in order to be able to fill it out.
>
> Any suggestions for projects to try it out on? Airflow is a good candidate as they graduate this month.

> 1. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc2pjlEBpE0UYQyMm7j1oPiOtXaTU8OFiSxe7dycHDXFndQkw/viewform?usp=sf_link

Re: Incubator exit interview

Justin Mclean-2
Hi,

Thanks for putting this together. I took a quick look and have some
> suggestions (so perhaps getting the edit access would be good, if you are
> happy for me to change things).

I'm happy for you to change things I'll give you access once in the front
of a real computer.

The question about the Apache Way is a simple yes / no. I suppose no one is
> going to respond no when they have graduated or just about to graduate.

I'm willing to be surprised and I think we will get some nos If people
answer honestly.

What does the Apache way mean to you?
> What do you think are the most important aspects of Apache culture?
> How would you describe the Apache Way?
> What you you understand about the Apache Way?

All good questions, feel free to add them.

The responses will be more text based and I hope will capture a bit more
> than a yes/no type question would.

I was trying to keep it short, the longer it is the less likely people will
fill it in.

Re: Incubator exit interview

Julian Hyde-3
Another idea is for Justin (or someone else active in the IPMC) to
have a phone call with the incoming chair of the newly-graduated
project. People are more likely to open up in an "off the record" and
interactive setting.

This would be in addition to the written questions.
On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 1:38 PM Justin Mclean <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for putting this together. I took a quick look and have some
> > suggestions (so perhaps getting the edit access would be good, if you are
> > happy for me to change things).
> >

> I'm happy for you to change things I'll give you access once in the front
> of a real computer.
>
> The question about the Apache Way is a simple yes / no. I suppose no one is
> > going to respond no when they have graduated or just about to graduate.
>

> I'm willing to be surprised and I think we will get some nos If people
> answer honestly.
>
> What does the Apache way mean to you?
> > What do you think are the most important aspects of Apache culture?
> > How would you describe the Apache Way?
> > What you you understand about the Apache Way?
> >

> All good questions, feel free to add them.
>
> The responses will be more text based and I hope will capture a bit more
> > than a yes/no type question would.
>

> I was trying to keep it short, the longer it is the less likely people will
> fill it in.

Re: Incubator exit interview

Sharan Foga
+1

Great idea Julian!

Thanks
Sharan

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018, 00:27 Julian Hyde <[hidden email] wrote:

> Another idea is for Justin (or someone else active in the IPMC) to
> have a phone call with the incoming chair of the newly-graduated
> project. People are more likely to open up in an "off the record" and
> interactive setting.
>
> This would be in addition to the written questions.
> On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 1:38 PM Justin Mclean <[hidden email]>

> > Thanks for putting this together. I took a quick look and have some
> > > suggestions (so perhaps getting the edit access would be good, if you
> are
> > > happy for me to change things).
> > >

> > I'm happy for you to change things I'll give you access once in the front
> > of a real computer.
> >
> > The question about the Apache Way is a simple yes / no. I suppose no one
> is
> > > going to respond no when they have graduated or just about to graduate.
> >

> > I'm willing to be surprised and I think we will get some nos If people
> > answer honestly.
> >
> > What does the Apache way mean to you?
> > > What do you think are the most important aspects of Apache culture?
> > > How would you describe the Apache Way?
> > > What you you understand about the Apache Way?
> > >

> > All good questions, feel free to add them.
> >
> > The responses will be more text based and I hope will capture a bit more
> > > than a yes/no type question would.
> >

> > I was trying to keep it short, the longer it is the less likely people
> will
> > fill it in.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Justin

Re: Incubator exit interview

Pierre Smits-2
+1 regarding the suggestion by Julian.

I believe this will yield a better response than yet another questionnaire
to work through (however short). And it isn't so that the IPMC (with all
its members) is overloaded with graduations each year.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*Apache OFBiz <https://ofbiz.apache.org>, contributor (without privileges)
since 2008*

On Sun, Dec 23, 2018 at 9:53 AM Sharan F <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> Great idea Julian!
>
> Thanks
> Sharan
>
> On Sun, 23 Dec 2018, 00:27 Julian Hyde <[hidden email] wrote:
>
> > Another idea is for Justin (or someone else active in the IPMC) to
> > have a phone call with the incoming chair of the newly-graduated
> > project. People are more likely to open up in an "off the record" and
> > interactive setting.
> >
> > This would be in addition to the written questions.
> > On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 1:38 PM Justin Mclean <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Thanks for putting this together. I took a quick look and have some
> > are
> > > >

> > > I'm happy for you to change things I'll give you access once in the
> front
> > > of a real computer.
> > >
> > > The question about the Apache Way is a simple yes / no. I suppose no
> one
> > is
> graduate.
> > >

> > > I'm willing to be surprised and I think we will get some nos If people
> > > answer honestly.
> > >
> > > What does the Apache way mean to you?
> > > >

> > > All good questions, feel free to add them.
> > >
> > > The responses will be more text based and I hope will capture a bit
> more
> > >

> > > I was trying to keep it short, the longer it is the less likely people
> > will
> > > fill it in.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Justin

Re: Incubator exit interview

Sid Anand-2
Thx for setting up this questionnaire -- as an Airflow PPMC / Committer, I
filled it out, being as candid as possible.

-s

On Mon, Dec 24, 2018 at 2:08 AM Pierre Smits <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 regarding the suggestion by Julian.
>
> I believe this will yield a better response than yet another questionnaire
> to work through (however short). And it isn't so that the IPMC (with all
> its members) is overloaded with graduations each year.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Pierre Smits
>
> *Apache Trafodion <https://trafodion.apache.org>, Vice President*
> *Apache Directory <https://directory.apache.org>, PMC Member*
> Apache Incubator <https://incubator.apache.org>, committer
> *Apache OFBiz <https://ofbiz.apache.org>, contributor (without privileges)
> since 2008*
> Apache Steve <https://steve.apache.org>, committer
>

> On Sun, Dec 23, 2018 at 9:53 AM Sharan F <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > +1
> >
> > Great idea Julian!
> >
> > Thanks
> > Sharan
> >
> > On Sun, 23 Dec 2018, 00:27 Julian Hyde <[hidden email] wrote:
> >
> > > Another idea is for Justin (or someone else active in the IPMC) to
> > > have a phone call with the incoming chair of the newly-graduated
> > > project. People are more likely to open up in an "off the record" and
> > > interactive setting.
> > >
> > > This would be in addition to the written questions.

> you
> > > are

> > front

> > one
> > > is
> > graduate.

> people

> > more

> people
> > > will

Re: Incubator exit interview

Jim Jagielski
Isn't that starting off on the wrong foot?.... off list communication, non-transparancy,
treating the VP of the PMC as "more" than an administrative position, etc...

> On Dec 22, 2018, at 6:27 PM, Julian Hyde <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Another idea is for Justin (or someone else active in the IPMC) to
> have a phone call with the incoming chair of the newly-graduated
> project. People are more likely to open up in an "off the record" and
> interactive setting.
>
> This would be in addition to the written questions.
> On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 1:38 PM Justin Mclean <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for putting this together. I took a quick look and have some
>>> suggestions (so perhaps getting the edit access would be good, if you are
>>> happy for me to change things).
>>>

>> I'm happy for you to change things I'll give you access once in the front
>> of a real computer.
>>
>> The question about the Apache Way is a simple yes / no. I suppose no one is
>>> going to respond no when they have graduated or just about to graduate.
>>

>> I'm willing to be surprised and I think we will get some nos If people
>> answer honestly.
>>
>> What does the Apache way mean to you?
>>> What do you think are the most important aspects of Apache culture?
>>> How would you describe the Apache Way?
>>> What you you understand about the Apache Way?
>>>

>> All good questions, feel free to add them.
>>
>> The responses will be more text based and I hope will capture a bit more
>>> than a yes/no type question would.
>>

>> I was trying to keep it short, the longer it is the less likely people will
>> fill it in.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Justin

Re: Incubator exit interview

Julian Hyde-3
I don’t think the “decisions should be made on-list” principle applies to all communication. (Otherwise why would we allow hallway conversations at conferences?) I’d rather that we make better decisions than be slave to principle.

These interviews would be in addition to on-list surveys.

Julian

> On Jan 14, 2019, at 5:25 AM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Isn't that starting off on the wrong foot?.... off list communication, non-transparancy,
> treating the VP of the PMC as "more" than an administrative position, etc...
>
>> On Dec 22, 2018, at 6:27 PM, Julian Hyde <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Another idea is for Justin (or someone else active in the IPMC) to
>> have a phone call with the incoming chair of the newly-graduated
>> project. People are more likely to open up in an "off the record" and
>> interactive setting.
>>
>> This would be in addition to the written questions.
>> On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 1:38 PM Justin Mclean <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Thanks for putting this together. I took a quick look and have some
>>>>

>>> I'm happy for you to change things I'll give you access once in the front
>>> of a real computer.
>>>
>>> The question about the Apache Way is a simple yes / no. I suppose no one is
>>>

>>> I'm willing to be surprised and I think we will get some nos If people
>>> answer honestly.
>>>
>>> What does the Apache way mean to you?
>>>>

>>> All good questions, feel free to add them.
>>>
>>> The responses will be more text based and I hope will capture a bit more
>>>

>>> I was trying to keep it short, the longer it is the less likely people will
>>> fill it in.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Justin

Re: Incubator exit interview

Kevin A. McGrail-2

On 1/14/2019 1:01 PM, Julian Hyde wrote:
> I don’t think the “decisions should be made on-list” principle applies to all communication. (Otherwise why would we allow hallway conversations at conferences?) I’d rather that we make better decisions than be slave to principle.

It really does apply to everything.  Even if you have the best meeting
in the world, you bring back minutes and decisions made off list for
ratification.  That way there is then an archive of the decision and
everyone can participate.

Regards,
KAM

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 10:14 AM Kevin A. McGrail <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 1/14/2019 1:01 PM, Julian Hyde wrote:
> > I don’t think the “decisions should be made on-list” principle applies to all communication. (Otherwise why would we allow hallway conversations at conferences?) I’d rather that we make better decisions than be slave to principle.
> >
> It really does apply to everything.

As Mark Twain would say: all generalizations are false. Including this one ;-)

> Even if you have the best meeting
> in the world, you bring back minutes and decisions made off list for
> ratification.  That way there is then an archive of the decision and
> everyone can participate.

I think if you unpack this statement you will see that there's an implicit
assumption about "collaborative things". That's 90+% of what ASF does.
And the statement applies there 100% -- no disagreement there.

But there's also a small portion of things that have to do with humans,
personalities and personnel. That's where what - Julian mentioned really
starts making sense. At least in my book.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Incubator exit interview

Julian Hyde-3
What Roman said.

And also, I make a distinction between communication (information gathering) and decision making. The Apache Way is that decisions occur on-list. It doesn’t say that all communication/information gathering is on-list.

Julian

> On Jan 14, 2019, at 10:29 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 10:14 AM Kevin A. McGrail <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 1/14/2019 1:01 PM, Julian Hyde wrote:
>>> I don’t think the “decisions should be made on-list” principle applies to all communication. (Otherwise why would we allow hallway conversations at conferences?) I’d rather that we make better decisions than be slave to principle.
>>>
>> It really does apply to everything.
>
> As Mark Twain would say: all generalizations are false. Including this one ;-)
>
>> Even if you have the best meeting
>> in the world, you bring back minutes and decisions made off list for
>> ratification.  That way there is then an archive of the decision and
>> everyone can participate.
>
> I think if you unpack this statement you will see that there's an implicit
> assumption about "collaborative things". That's 90+% of what ASF does.
> And the statement applies there 100% -- no disagreement there.
>
> But there's also a small portion of things that have to do with humans,
> personalities and personnel. That's where what - Julian mentioned really
> starts making sense. At least in my book.
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.

Re: Incubator exit interview

Sharan Foga
Hi All

As Julian mentions, my understanding is that this is about information collection not about decision making. The more information we have that is relevant could encourage more focussed discussion and help us see if there is something unclear in the documentation or process.

If there is concern about talking to the PMC Chair only then perhaps it can be balanced by making the interview offer available to the PMC, the Committers or whole community.

Thanks
Sharan