[IP CLEARANCE] Apache Ignite - Persistent Store

[IP CLEARANCE] Apache Ignite - Persistent Store

Denis Mag
Apache Ignite is receiving code for distributed Persistent Store.

See: http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/persistent-distributed-store-ignite.html

Please vote to approve the donation.

This is a lazy consensus majority vote, open for at least 72 hours.

Regards,
Denis

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Apache Ignite - Persistent Store

John D. Ament-2
The commit referenced in the IP clearance reflects some changes in a pom
file.  Is that the only change?

In addition, the commit seems to be from Alexey Goncharuk, who is already a
committer from the foundation (has an ICLA) and is on the PMC for ignite...
so its not clear why an IP Clearance is needed.

John

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 11:42 PM Denis Magda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apache Ignite is receiving code for distributed Persistent Store.
>
> See:
> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/persistent-distributed-store-ignite.html
>
> Please vote to approve the donation.
>
> This is a lazy consensus majority vote, open for at least 72 hours.
>
> Regards,
> Denis

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Apache Ignite - Persistent Store

Craig Russell-3
Hi John,

I don't know all of the details of the code, but this is in regard to GridGain's grant via SGA of a persistent store system which is a substantial body of code not developed at Apache. So IMHO it is appropriate for the code grant to be reviewed.

I don't see any issues except it's difficult (for me, a git novice) to figure out the exact donation. The reference is to a git repository that is "194 commits ahead, 240 commits behind apache:master". Most of the donated code is in “modules/pds”.

Craig

> On May 20, 2017, at 8:53 PM, John D. Ament <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The commit referenced in the IP clearance reflects some changes in a pom
> file.  Is that the only change?
>
> In addition, the commit seems to be from Alexey Goncharuk, who is already a
> committer from the foundation (has an ICLA) and is on the PMC for ignite...
> so its not clear why an IP Clearance is needed.
>
> John
>
> On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 11:42 PM Denis Magda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Apache Ignite is receiving code for distributed Persistent Store.
>>
>> See:
>> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/persistent-distributed-store-ignite.html
>>
>> Please vote to approve the donation.
>>
>> This is a lazy consensus majority vote, open for at least 72 hours.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Denis

Craig L Russell

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Apache Ignite - Persistent Store

Roman Shaposhnik
Why is this request showing up on IPMC mailing list?

Thanks,
Roman.

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 4:54 PM Craig Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I don't know all of the details of the code, but this is in regard to
> GridGain's grant via SGA of a persistent store system which is a
> substantial body of code not developed at Apache. So IMHO it is appropriate
> for the code grant to be reviewed.

Errr... wait a tick.  We've been told a few times that IP Clearance and SGA
are binary.  You do one or the other, not both.  Specifically SGA is to
allow the modification of license (from X to Apache-V2.0) whereas IP
Clearance is verifying that all existing Apache-v2.0 donation is in fact
properly licensed (e.g. no hidden LGPL or other inappropriate licenses).
There's even a line in the SGA that puts the ownness on this to the donator.

If GridGain has submitted an SGA then that SGA is what is used.  Have they
actually submitted an SGA as well?

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 2:02 PM, John D. Ament <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 4:54 PM Craig Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi John,
>>
>> I don't know all of the details of the code, but this is in regard to
>> GridGain's grant via SGA of a persistent store system which is a
>> substantial body of code not developed at Apache. So IMHO it is appropriate
>> for the code grant to be reviewed.
>>

> Errr... wait a tick.  We've been told a few times that IP Clearance and SGA
> are binary.  You do one or the other, not both.  Specifically SGA is to
> allow the modification of license (from X to Apache-V2.0) whereas IP
> Clearance is verifying that all existing Apache-v2.0 donation is in fact
> properly licensed (e.g. no hidden LGPL or other inappropriate licenses).
> There's even a line in the SGA that puts the ownness on this to the donator.
>
> If GridGain has submitted an SGA then that SGA is what is used.  Have they
> actually submitted an SGA as well?

FWIW: last week I recommended them to do that. Not sure if it was submitted.
That's why I'm so puzzled to see this request here (on top of Ignite being TLP
and not longer having much to do with IPMC).

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Apache Ignite - Persistent Store

Craig Russell-3

> On May 21, 2017, at 2:02 PM, John D. Ament <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 4:54 PM Craig Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi John,
>>
>> I don't know all of the details of the code, but this is in regard to
>> GridGain's grant via SGA of a persistent store system which is a
>> substantial body of code not developed at Apache. So IMHO it is appropriate
>> for the code grant to be reviewed.
>>

> Errr... wait a tick.  We've been told a few times that IP Clearance and SGA
> are binary.  You do one or the other, not both.

Reference, please. I recall that IP Clearance is for TLPs to vet large donations.

Craig

> Specifically SGA is to
> allow the modification of license (from X to Apache-V2.0) whereas IP
> Clearance is verifying that all existing Apache-v2.0 donation is in fact
> properly licensed (e.g. no hidden LGPL or other inappropriate licenses).
> There's even a line in the SGA that puts the ownness on this to the donator.
>
> If GridGain has submitted an SGA then that SGA is what is used.  Have they
> actually submitted an SGA as well?
>

>> I don't see any issues except it's difficult (for me, a git novice) to
>> figure out the exact donation. The reference is to a git repository that is
>> "194 commits ahead, 240 commits behind apache:master". Most of the donated
>> code is in “modules/pds”.
>>
>> Craig
>>
>>> On May 20, 2017, at 8:53 PM, John D. Ament <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> The commit referenced in the IP clearance reflects some changes in a pom
>>> file.  Is that the only change?
>>>
>>> In addition, the commit seems to be from Alexey Goncharuk, who is
>> already a
>>> committer from the foundation (has an ICLA) and is on the PMC for
>> ignite...
>>> so its not clear why an IP Clearance is needed.
>>>
>>> John

>> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/persistent-distributed-store-ignite.html

>> Craig L Russell
>> [hidden email]

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
[hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Apache Ignite - Persistent Store

Craig Russell-3
Let's all read the documentation on IP Clearance so we have a common basis for discussion.

Craig

> On May 21, 2017, at 2:46 PM, Craig Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On May 21, 2017, at 2:02 PM, John D. Ament <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 4:54 PM Craig Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi John,
>>>
>>> I don't know all of the details of the code, but this is in regard to
>>> GridGain's grant via SGA of a persistent store system which is a
>>> substantial body of code not developed at Apache. So IMHO it is appropriate
>>> for the code grant to be reviewed.
>>>

>> Errr... wait a tick.  We've been told a few times that IP Clearance and SGA
>> are binary.  You do one or the other, not both.
>
> Reference, please. I recall that IP Clearance is for TLPs to vet large donations.
>
> Craig
>
>> Specifically SGA is to
>> allow the modification of license (from X to Apache-V2.0) whereas IP
>> Clearance is verifying that all existing Apache-v2.0 donation is in fact
>> properly licensed (e.g. no hidden LGPL or other inappropriate licenses).
>> There's even a line in the SGA that puts the ownness on this to the donator.
>>
>> If GridGain has submitted an SGA then that SGA is what is used.  Have they
>> actually submitted an SGA as well?
>>

>>> I don't see any issues except it's difficult (for me, a git novice) to
>>> figure out the exact donation. The reference is to a git repository that is
>>> "194 commits ahead, 240 commits behind apache:master". Most of the donated
>>> code is in “modules/pds”.
>>>
>>> Craig

>>> already a
>>> ignite...

>>> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/persistent-distributed-store-ignite.html

>>> Craig L Russell
>>> [hidden email]

> Craig L Russell
> Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
> [hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
[hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Apache Ignite - Persistent Store

Niclas Hedhman
Originally, the IP Clearance was intended for "block contributions" larger
than suitable for a Jira patch file, and from people outside the community.
For example, it could be code that was made at SourceForge and IP Clearance
was to make sure that the the OK/interest of the authors was recorded (via
ICLAs, IIRC).

In this case, it seems that the author is on the PM, have an ICLA on file,
the work is part of the same commit tree, so I see no reason for the ASF to
doubt that he had the permission from the company to commit/push.

Cheers
Niclas

Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer
http://polygene.apache.org - New Energy for Java

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Apache Ignite - Persistent Store

Craig Russell-3
Hi Niclas,

> On May 22, 2017, at 12:05 AM, Niclas Hedhman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Originally, the IP Clearance was intended for "block contributions" larger
> than suitable for a Jira patch file, and from people outside the community.
> For example, it could be code that was made at SourceForge and IP Clearance
> was to make sure that the the OK/interest of the authors was recorded (via
> ICLAs, IIRC).
>
> In this case, it seems that the author is on the PM, have an ICLA on file,
> the work is part of the same commit tree, so I see no reason for the ASF to
> doubt that he had the permission from the company to commit/push.

My understanding is that the code under review here was developed outside Apache and is larger than suitable for a JIRA patch.

So it is precisely the situation for which IP Clearance is intended.

Craig

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Craig Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Niclas,
>
>> On May 22, 2017, at 12:05 AM, Niclas Hedhman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Originally, the IP Clearance was intended for "block contributions" larger
>> than suitable for a Jira patch file, and from people outside the community.
>> For example, it could be code that was made at SourceForge and IP Clearance
>> was to make sure that the the OK/interest of the authors was recorded (via
>> ICLAs, IIRC).
>>
>> In this case, it seems that the author is on the PM, have an ICLA on file,
>> the work is part of the same commit tree, so I see no reason for the ASF to
>> doubt that he had the permission from the company to commit/push.
>
> My understanding is that the code under review here was developed outside Apache and is larger than suitable for a JIRA patch.
>
> So it is precisely the situation for which IP Clearance is intended.

That's 100% correct!

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Apache Ignite - Persistent Store

Denis Mag
Folks,

I've just followed well-described and clear "Process" section from this page:
http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html

Following 3. GridGain filed SGA that was acknowledged by Craig and recorded in grants.txt. Right after that, following 7., this particular discussion was kicked off.

Let me know if something else has to be done to fully comply with the donation process. The page below reflects the current status:
http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/persistent-distributed-store-ignite.html

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Apache Ignite - Persistent Store

John D. Ament-2
Denis,

I raised two questions in my first reply.  Can you respond to them?

John

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 4:28 PM Denis Mag <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I've just followed well-described and clear "Process" section from this
> page:
> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html
>
> Following 3. GridGain filed SGA that was acknowledged by Craig and recorded
> in grants.txt. Right after that, following 7., this particular discussion
> was kicked off.
>
> Let me know if something else has to be done to fully comply with the
> donation process. The page below reflects the current status:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/persistent-distributed-store-ignite.html

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Apache Ignite - Persistent Store

Denis Mag
John,

Please see below

** The commit referenced in the IP clearance reflects some changes in a pom
file.  Is that the only change? **

That’s one of the latest commits happened in that repository. In any case, Apache Ignite community decided to push the donation to an Ignite branch:
https://github.com/apache/ignite/tree/ignite-5267

These are all the changes in compare to the master branch:
https://github.com/apache/ignite/compare/ignite-5267

I’ve updated the IP clearance form to mention this and triggered the redeployment of incubator.apache.org. Hope it will appear there soon:
http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/persistent-distributed-store-ignite.html

** In addition, the commit seems to be from Alexey Goncharuk, who is already a
committer from the foundation (has an ICLA) and is on the PMC for ignite...
so its not clear why an IP Clearance is needed. **

This is a software grant from GridGain. The grant was filed and acknowledged by Craig. Alexey Goncharuk works for GridGain.

Denis

> On May 22, 2017, at 1:35 PM, John D. Ament <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Denis,
>
> I raised two questions in my first reply.  Can you respond to them?
>
> John
>
> On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 4:28 PM Denis Mag <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> I've just followed well-described and clear "Process" section from this
>> page:
>> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html
>>
>> Following 3. GridGain filed SGA that was acknowledged by Craig and recorded
>> in grants.txt. Right after that, following 7., this particular discussion
>> was kicked off.
>>
>> Let me know if something else has to be done to fully comply with the
>> donation process. The page below reflects the current status:
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/persistent-distributed-store-ignite.html

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Apache Ignite - Persistent Store

Craig Russell-3
Hi Denis,

Everything looks to be in order. Good luck.

Craig

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 4:59 PM Denis Magda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> John,
>
> Please see below
>
> ** The commit referenced in the IP clearance reflects some changes in a pom
> file.  Is that the only change? **
>
> That’s one of the latest commits happened in that repository. In any case,
> Apache Ignite community decided to push the donation to an Ignite branch:
> https://github.com/apache/ignite/tree/ignite-5267
>
> These are all the changes in compare to the master branch:
> https://github.com/apache/ignite/compare/ignite-5267
>
> I’ve updated the IP clearance form to mention this and triggered the
> redeployment of incubator.apache.org. Hope it will appear there soon:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/persistent-distributed-store-ignite.html

Perfect, thanks.

> ** In addition, the commit seems to be from Alexey Goncharuk, who is
> already a
> committer from the foundation (has an ICLA) and is on the PMC for ignite...
> so its not clear why an IP Clearance is needed. **
>
> This is a software grant from GridGain. The grant was filed and
> acknowledged by Craig. Alexey Goncharuk works for GridGain.
>
> —
> Denis
>
> > On May 22, 2017, at 1:35 PM, John D. Ament <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Denis,
> >
> > I raised two questions in my first reply.  Can you respond to them?
> >
> > John
> >
> > On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 4:28 PM Denis Mag <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Folks,
> >>
> >> I've just followed well-described and clear "Process" section from this
> >> page:
> >> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html
> >>
> >> Following 3. GridGain filed SGA that was acknowledged by Craig and
> recorded
> >> in grants.txt. Right after that, following 7., this particular
> discussion
> >> was kicked off.
> >>
> >> Let me know if something else has to be done to fully comply with the
> >> donation process. The page below reflects the current status:
> >>

> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/persistent-distributed-store-ignite.html

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Apache Ignite - Persistent Store

Denis Mag
Folks,

72 hours have passed but nobody voted. Does it mean that the vote can be closed saying that nobody is against the donation?

Denis

> On May 23, 2017, at 5:30 PM, John D. Ament <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 4:59 PM Denis Magda <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>> John,
>>
>> Please see below
>>
>> ** The commit referenced in the IP clearance reflects some changes in a pom
>> file.  Is that the only change? **
>>
>> That’s one of the latest commits happened in that repository. In any case,
>> Apache Ignite community decided to push the donation to an Ignite branch:
>> https://github.com/apache/ignite/tree/ignite-5267
>>
>> These are all the changes in compare to the master branch:
>> https://github.com/apache/ignite/compare/ignite-5267
>>
>> I’ve updated the IP clearance form to mention this and triggered the
>> redeployment of incubator.apache.org. Hope it will appear there soon:
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/persistent-distributed-store-ignite.html
>>

> Perfect, thanks.
>

>> ** In addition, the commit seems to be from Alexey Goncharuk, who is
>> already a
>> committer from the foundation (has an ICLA) and is on the PMC for ignite...
>> so its not clear why an IP Clearance is needed. **
>>
>> This is a software grant from GridGain. The grant was filed and
>> acknowledged by Craig. Alexey Goncharuk works for GridGain.
>>
>> —
>> Denis
>>
>>> On May 22, 2017, at 1:35 PM, John D. Ament <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Denis,
>>>
>>> I raised two questions in my first reply.  Can you respond to them?
>>>
>>> John

>> recorded
>> discussion

>> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/persistent-distributed-store-ignite.html

>> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Apache Ignite - Persistent Store

Craig Russell-3

> On May 25, 2017, at 11:33 AM, Denis Magda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Folks,
>
> 72 hours have passed but nobody voted. Does it mean that the vote can be closed saying that nobody is against the donation?

Yes.

Craig

> —
> Denis
>
>> On May 23, 2017, at 5:30 PM, John D. Ament <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 4:59 PM Denis Magda <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>> John,
>>>
>>> Please see below
>>>
>>> ** The commit referenced in the IP clearance reflects some changes in a pom
>>> file.  Is that the only change? **
>>>
>>> That’s one of the latest commits happened in that repository. In any case,
>>> Apache Ignite community decided to push the donation to an Ignite branch:
>>> https://github.com/apache/ignite/tree/ignite-5267
>>>
>>> These are all the changes in compare to the master branch:
>>> https://github.com/apache/ignite/compare/ignite-5267
>>>
>>> I’ve updated the IP clearance form to mention this and triggered the
>>> redeployment of incubator.apache.org. Hope it will appear there soon:
>>>
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/persistent-distributed-store-ignite.html
>>>

>> Perfect, thanks.
>>

>>> ** In addition, the commit seems to be from Alexey Goncharuk, who is
>>> already a
>>> committer from the foundation (has an ICLA) and is on the PMC for ignite...
>>> so its not clear why an IP Clearance is needed. **
>>>
>>> This is a software grant from GridGain. The grant was filed and
>>> acknowledged by Craig. Alexey Goncharuk works for GridGain.
>>>
>>> —
>>> Denis

>>> recorded
>>> discussion

>>> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/persistent-distributed-store-ignite.html

>>> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
[hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

[RESULT] [IP CLEARANCE] Apache Ignite - Persistent Store

Denis Mag
This message officially closes the Apache Ignite Persistent Store’s IP Clearance vote that took pace on general@incubator:
http://apache-incubator-general.996316.n3.nabble.com/IP-CLEARANCE-Apache-Ignite-Persistent-Store-td54969.html

No one voted against the donation or spotted any IP issue. The donation has been cleared for import.

Regards,
Denis