INFRA guide to graduation?

Christopher
Is there any documentation detailing how to file a proper and complete JIRA
for graduation?
For example, which components should be put in the JIRA, issue type, etc.

It seems to me that good docs in this regard could save INFRA a lot of
headaches, and could help projects understand which infrastructure bits
they need to think about as they move from the Incubator infrastructure to
the TLP infrastructure.

Perhaps these exist already and I just haven't found them?

Re: INFRA guide to graduation?

John D. Ament-2
Christopher,

Please review [
<https://incubator.apache.org/guides/transferring.html#first_steps_outside_the_incubator>
1]

If something seems off - we just did a review [2], please feel free to
comment.  Or have infra knock on our door.

John

[1]:
https://incubator.apache.org/guides/transferring.html#first_steps_outside_the_incubator
[2]:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/13ac64b765bf6810586dbfac283f18dc916f4c07e583a17d5ee5178c@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 7:30 PM Christopher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there any documentation detailing how to file a proper and complete JIRA
> for graduation?
> For example, which components should be put in the JIRA, issue type, etc.
>
> It seems to me that good docs in this regard could save INFRA a lot of
> headaches, and could help projects understand which infrastructure bits
> they need to think about as they move from the Incubator infrastructure to
> the TLP infrastructure.
>
> Perhaps these exist already and I just haven't found them?

Re: INFRA guide to graduation?

Christopher
Unfortunately, the instructions there don't work. Creating "New TLP" issue
type won't work because required "Project" field is blank (but neither is
it presented so that it can be filled out). Creating "New TLP - Common
Tasks" is not an option when creating a sub-task, as instructed.

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 8:12 PM John D. Ament <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Christopher,
>
> Please review [
> <
> https://incubator.apache.org/guides/transferring.html#first_steps_outside_the_incubator
> >
> 1]
>
> If something seems off - we just did a review [2], please feel free to
> comment.  Or have infra knock on our door.
>

> John
>
> [1]:
>
> https://incubator.apache.org/guides/transferring.html#first_steps_outside_the_incubator
> [2]:
>
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/13ac64b765bf6810586dbfac283f18dc916f4c07e583a17d5ee5178c@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E
>

> On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 7:30 PM Christopher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Is there any documentation detailing how to file a proper and complete
> JIRA
> > for graduation?
> > For example, which components should be put in the JIRA, issue type, etc.
> >
> > It seems to me that good docs in this regard could save INFRA a lot of
> > headaches, and could help projects understand which infrastructure bits
> > they need to think about as they move from the Incubator infrastructure
> > the TLP infrastructure.
> >
> > Perhaps these exist already and I just haven't found them?

Re: INFRA guide to graduation?

John D. Ament
Looks like the link to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/create/10 is
missing.

On Jul 26, 2017 1:53 PM, "Christopher" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Unfortunately, the instructions there don't work. Creating "New TLP" issue
> type won't work because required "Project" field is blank (but neither is
> it presented so that it can be filled out). Creating "New TLP - Common
> Tasks" is not an option when creating a sub-task, as instructed.
>
> On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 8:12 PM John D. Ament <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Christopher,
> >
> > Please review [
> > <
> > https://incubator.apache.org/guides/transferring.html#
> first_steps_outside_the_incubator
> > >
> > 1]
> >
> > If something seems off - we just did a review [2], please feel free to
> > comment.  Or have infra knock on our door.
> >

> > John
> >
> > [1]:
> >
> > https://incubator.apache.org/guides/transferring.html#
> first_steps_outside_the_incubator
> > [2]:
> >
> > https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/13ac64b765bf6810586dbfac283f18
> dc916f4c07e583a17d5ee5178c@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E
> >

> > On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 7:30 PM Christopher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Is there any documentation detailing how to file a proper and complete
> > JIRA
> > > for graduation?
> > > For example, which components should be put in the JIRA, issue type,
> etc.
> > >
> > > It seems to me that good docs in this regard could save INFRA a lot of
> > > headaches, and could help projects understand which infrastructure bits
> > > they need to think about as they move from the Incubator infrastructure
> > > the TLP infrastructure.
> > >
> > > Perhaps these exist already and I just haven't found them?

Re: INFRA guide to graduation?

Christopher
Still a few issues with the process. I'm chatting on HipChat with INFRA now.
They pointed me to:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/group/12

But, there's still issues. I noted the following in HipChat:

"""
Yeah, I did that. However, common-tasks can't be set as a sub-task of the
parent, and "None" is not an acceptable value for the required Project
field, and the ticket names don't quite match the INFRA instructions at
http://www.apache.org/dev/infra-contact#requesting-graduation and it's not
clear what one should set as the component (I set "TLP Admin").
"""

It's minor stuff, but still a bit confusing. I'm sure we'll get it ironed
out.