Guidance : Gitter --> Slack

Sid Anand
Hi Folks!
The Airflow community would like to move to Slack from Gitter. Is there any
guidance on this list on how to do that? We would essentially like to
shutdown Gitter.

-s

Re: Guidance : Gitter --> Slack

Abhishek Tiwari-2
Are you okay with message count limitation with Slack? or is there any
license that they have for open source projects?

Abhishek

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 3:48 PM Sid Anand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Folks!
> The Airflow community would like to move to Slack from Gitter. Is there any
> guidance on this list on how to do that? We would essentially like to
> shutdown Gitter.
>
> -s

Re: Guidance : Gitter --> Slack

Greg Stein-4
Slack has no F/OSS discounts, but they *do* have a discount for charities
like the ASF. The ASF has not (yet) chosen to purchase a license, though,
as we encourage mailing lists rather than synchronous chat services. We
also want the discussions *recorded* on ASF hardware for archival/review
purposes. Mailing lists are easily archived, but not so easily for chat.

At Apache, chat services should be viewed as *supplemental* to a project's
dev@ list. This is why we're not spending $$ on them. Projects should be
more concerned about keeping discussion on-list, rather than what chat
service to use.

Cheers,
-g

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 8:59 PM Abhishek Tiwari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are you okay with message count limitation with Slack? or is there any
> license that they have for open source projects?
>
> Abhishek
>
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 3:48 PM Sid Anand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Folks!
> > The Airflow community would like to move to Slack from Gitter. Is there
> any
> > guidance on this list on how to do that? We would essentially like to
> > shutdown Gitter.
> >
> > -s

Re: Guidance : Gitter --> Slack

Sid Anand
How would I establish airflow.slack.com? Would I just go ahead and create
the workspace? Or is there a preference to have Apache Infra create and own
it?

-s

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 7:08 PM Greg Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Slack has no F/OSS discounts, but they *do* have a discount for charities
> like the ASF. The ASF has not (yet) chosen to purchase a license, though,
> as we encourage mailing lists rather than synchronous chat services. We
> also want the discussions *recorded* on ASF hardware for archival/review
> purposes. Mailing lists are easily archived, but not so easily for chat.
>
> At Apache, chat services should be viewed as *supplemental* to a project's
> dev@ list. This is why we're not spending $$ on them. Projects should be
> more concerned about keeping discussion on-list, rather than what chat
> service to use.
>
> Cheers,
> -g
>

> On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 8:59 PM Abhishek Tiwari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Are you okay with message count limitation with Slack? or is there any
> > license that they have for open source projects?
> >
> > Abhishek
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 3:48 PM Sid Anand <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Folks!
> > > The Airflow community would like to move to Slack from Gitter. Is there
> > any
> > > guidance on this list on how to do that? We would essentially like to
> > > shutdown Gitter.
> > >
> > > -s

Re: Guidance : Gitter --> Slack

Greg Stein-4
I would suggest an #airflow channel on the-asf.slack.com

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018, 15:36 Sid Anand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How would I establish airflow.slack.com? Would I just go ahead and create
> the workspace? Or is there a preference to have Apache Infra create and own
> it?
>
> -s
>
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 7:08 PM Greg Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Slack has no F/OSS discounts, but they *do* have a discount for charities
> > like the ASF. The ASF has not (yet) chosen to purchase a license, though,
> > as we encourage mailing lists rather than synchronous chat services. We
> > also want the discussions *recorded* on ASF hardware for archival/review
> > purposes. Mailing lists are easily archived, but not so easily for chat.
> >
> > At Apache, chat services should be viewed as *supplemental* to a
> project's
> > dev@ list. This is why we're not spending $$ on them. Projects should be
> > more concerned about keeping discussion on-list, rather than what chat
> > service to use.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > -g
> >

> > On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 8:59 PM Abhishek Tiwari <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Are you okay with message count limitation with Slack? or is there any
> > > license that they have for open source projects?
> > >
> > > Abhishek

> there
> > > any

Re: Guidance : Gitter --> Slack

Sid Anand
Hi Greg,
Interesting. I just tried that and was shown "airflow is already taken by a
channel, user, or user group".

However, apache-airflow is available.

I noticed channels for general.  I figured general would be limited to the
ASF mailing lists.

-s

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 2:23 PM Greg Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would suggest an #airflow channel on the-asf.slack.com
>

> On Sat, Sep 1, 2018, 15:36 Sid Anand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > How would I establish airflow.slack.com? Would I just go ahead and
> create
> > the workspace? Or is there a preference to have Apache Infra create and
> own
> > it?
> >
> > -s
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 7:08 PM Greg Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Slack has no F/OSS discounts, but they *do* have a discount for
> charities
> > > like the ASF. The ASF has not (yet) chosen to purchase a license,
> though,
> > > as we encourage mailing lists rather than synchronous chat services. We
> > > also want the discussions *recorded* on ASF hardware for
> archival/review
> > > purposes. Mailing lists are easily archived, but not so easily for
> chat.
> > >
> > > At Apache, chat services should be viewed as *supplemental* to a
> > project's
> > > dev@ list. This is why we're not spending $$ on them. Projects should
> be
> > > more concerned about keeping discussion on-list, rather than what chat
> > > service to use.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > -g

> any

> > there

Re: Guidance : Gitter --> Slack

Greg Stein-4
On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 8:04 PM Sid Anand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Greg,
> Interesting. I just tried that and was shown "airflow is already taken by a
> channel, user, or user group".

Seems somebody in your community already set it up?

> However, apache-airflow is available.

Why create something new, instead of just using #airflow?? Please stop
trying to create a new area, and instead join *existing* areas to converse.

> I noticed channels for general.  I figured general would be limited to the
> ASF mailing lists.

Hunh? Slack is unrelated to mailing lists. That was my point about avoiding
chat, and sticking to dev@ mailing lists. And the #general channel is
totally unrelated to this, or any other mailing list.

-g

Re: Guidance : Gitter --> Slack

Sid Anand
I see the channel now. I could not find it earlier, hence my trying to
create it. Yes, it seems like someone set this up.

So, am I correct in assuming that anyone can register an account on this
slack workspace using any email account (e.g. does not need to be
Apache.org emails)? Is that correct?

-s

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 6:32 PM Greg Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 8:04 PM Sid Anand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Greg,
> > Interesting. I just tried that and was shown "airflow is already taken
> by a
> > channel, user, or user group".
> >

> Seems somebody in your community already set it up?
>

> > However, apache-airflow is available.
> >

> Why create something new, instead of just using #airflow?? Please stop
> trying to create a new area, and instead join *existing* areas to converse.
>

> > I noticed channels for general.  I figured general would be limited to
> the
> > ASF mailing lists.
>

> Hunh? Slack is unrelated to mailing lists. That was my point about avoiding
> chat, and sticking to dev@ mailing lists. And the #general channel is
> totally unrelated to this, or any other mailing list.
>
> -g

Re: Guidance : Gitter --> Slack

Greg Stein-4
John (cc'd) set up the workspace. I dunno how it is configured.