Graduation: who mails the board?

Jim Apple
Impala just passed the IPMC graduation-to-TLP vote. The graduation guide
says that the board is then emailed, but it is worded in the passive voice:
"Once the resolution has been finalized and consensus reached, it should be
submitted to the Board."

Who is the intended sender of that email: the mentors, the IPMC, the PPMC,
or just whoever gets around to it first?

Re: Graduation: who mails the board?

Craig Russell-3
I agree this is a bit ambiguous.

What you should do is to send a message to the board with a link to the [RESULT] message and add the resolution [to establish the project] to the board agenda.

Craig

> On Nov 11, 2017, at 8:33 PM, Jim Apple <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Impala just passed the IPMC graduation-to-TLP vote. The graduation guide
> says that the board is then emailed, but it is worded in the passive voice:
> "Once the resolution has been finalized and consensus reached, it should be
> submitted to the Board."
>
> Who is the intended sender of that email: the mentors, the IPMC, the PPMC,
> or just whoever gets around to it first?

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
[hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: Graduation: who mails the board?

Jim Apple
I think I understand. I will write the email, but what is the mechanism by
which I "add the resolution to establish the project to the board agenda"?
Is that just the result of sending the email?

On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 8:38 PM, Craig Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree this is a bit ambiguous.
>
> What you should do is to send a message to the board with a link to the
> [RESULT] message and add the resolution [to establish the project] to the
> board agenda.
>
> Craig
>
> > On Nov 11, 2017, at 8:33 PM, Jim Apple <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Impala just passed the IPMC graduation-to-TLP vote. The graduation guide
> > says that the board is then emailed, but it is worded in the passive
> voice:
> > "Once the resolution has been finalized and consensus reached, it should
> be
> > submitted to the Board."
> >
> > Who is the intended sender of that email: the mentors, the IPMC, the
> PPMC,
> > or just whoever gets around to it first?
>
> Craig L Russell
> Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
> [hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: Graduation: who mails the board?

Craig Russell-3
A resolution is added to the agenda by going to https://whimsy.apache.org/board/agenda/2017-11-15/ and clicking on "add resolution".

If you do not have karma to do this, one of your mentors will have to do it for you.

Craig

> On Nov 11, 2017, at 8:44 PM, Jim Apple <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think I understand. I will write the email, but what is the mechanism by
> which I "add the resolution to establish the project to the board agenda"?
> Is that just the result of sending the email?
>
> On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 8:38 PM, Craig Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I agree this is a bit ambiguous.
>>
>> What you should do is to send a message to the board with a link to the
>> [RESULT] message and add the resolution [to establish the project] to the
>> board agenda.
>>
>> Craig
>>
>>> On Nov 11, 2017, at 8:33 PM, Jim Apple <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Impala just passed the IPMC graduation-to-TLP vote. The graduation guide
>>> says that the board is then emailed, but it is worded in the passive
>> voice:
>>> "Once the resolution has been finalized and consensus reached, it should
>> be
>>> submitted to the Board."
>>>
>>> Who is the intended sender of that email: the mentors, the IPMC, the
>> PPMC,
>>> or just whoever gets around to it first?
>>
>> Craig L Russell
>> Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
>> [hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
[hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: Graduation: who mails the board?

Jim Apple
Thank you for explaining!

On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 10:13 PM, Craig Russell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> A resolution is added to the agenda by going to https://whimsy.apache.org/
> board/agenda/2017-11-15/ and clicking on "add resolution".
>
> If you do not have karma to do this, one of your mentors will have to do
> it for you.
>
> Craig
>
> > On Nov 11, 2017, at 8:44 PM, Jim Apple <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I think I understand. I will write the email, but what is the mechanism
> by
> > which I "add the resolution to establish the project to the board
> agenda"?
> > Is that just the result of sending the email?
> >
> > On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 8:38 PM, Craig Russell <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I agree this is a bit ambiguous.
> >>
> >> What you should do is to send a message to the board with a link to the
> >> [RESULT] message and add the resolution [to establish the project] to
> the
> >> board agenda.
> >>
> >> Craig

> guide
> >> voice:
> should
> >> be

> >> PPMC,
> >>
> >> Craig L Russell
> >> Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
> >> [hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

> Craig L Russell
> Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
> [hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: Graduation: who mails the board?

John D. Ament-2
If it helps make it clearer, I can update
https://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#submission_of_the_resolution_to_the_board
clarify that my expectation (and others I believe) is that one of your
mentors or a board member is intended to add the resolution to the board's
agenda after it has been posted to the board list.

John

On Sun, Nov 12, 2017 at 1:16 AM Jim Apple <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for explaining!
>
> On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 10:13 PM, Craig Russell <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > A resolution is added to the agenda by going to
> https://whimsy.apache.org/
> > board/agenda/2017-11-15/ and clicking on "add resolution".
> >
> > If you do not have karma to do this, one of your mentors will have to do
> > it for you.
> >
> > Craig
> >
> > > On Nov 11, 2017, at 8:44 PM, Jim Apple <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > I think I understand. I will write the email, but what is the mechanism
> > by
> > > which I "add the resolution to establish the project to the board
> > agenda"?
> > > Is that just the result of sending the email?

> the
> > the

> > guide
> > should

> > Craig L Russell
> > Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
> > [hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: Graduation: who mails the board?

Pierre Smits
John,

I believe it should be the IPMC who should bring it before the board of the
ASF as part of their mission.

Best regards,
 Pierre

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 at 13:29 John D. Ament <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If it helps make it clearer, I can update
>
> https://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#submission_of_the_resolution_to_the_board
> clarify that my expectation (and others I believe) is that one of your
> mentors or a board member is intended to add the resolution to the board's
> agenda after it has been posted to the board list.
>
> John
>
> On Sun, Nov 12, 2017 at 1:16 AM Jim Apple <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thank you for explaining!
> >
> > On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 10:13 PM, Craig Russell <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > A resolution is added to the agenda by going to
> > https://whimsy.apache.org/
> > > board/agenda/2017-11-15/ and clicking on "add resolution".
> > >
> > > If you do not have karma to do this, one of your mentors will have to
> do
> > > it for you.
> > >
> > > Craig

> mechanism
> > > by
> > > agenda"?

> > the
> > > the

> > > guide
> passive
> > > should

> the

> > > Craig L Russell
> > > Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
> > > [hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OEM - The OFBiz Extensions Marketplace1
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
1 not affiliated to (and not endorsed by) the OFBiz project

Re: Graduation: who mails the board?

sebb-2-2
Unless the agenda is updated, the board cannot vote on the resolution.
But does the full resolution really need to be posted to the board list as well?

The change to the agenda will be posted to the board commits list anyway.