Forrest? Trees?

Geir Magnusson Jr.-3

I'm pretty resigned to the fact that we're not going to be able to
present a resolution to the board this month for Harmony.  I do keep a
flicker of hope, mainly because I'm an eternal optimist.

I do think it's a shame, because I believe the core values sought and
taught in the incubation process are community and IP provenance, and I
think Harmony has that in ample quantity.  I think that those are the
core strengths of any Apache project, the necessary toolset needed by a
community.

Sure, there are minor nits in a few missing license headers in some
scripts or CSS files or whatever, and it's good to point them out
because these details are very important, but I think we're missing the
bigger picture here.   These kinds of things don't reflect any defects
in the community IMO - they're buried in the noise.   It's just an
oversight. Here are some other irrelevant oversights :

There is no NOTICE file in /jackrabbit/trunk/textfilters,  no license
header in /apr/apr-util/trunk/build.conf, inaccurate copyright statement
in /maven/maven-1/core/trunk/build-bootstrap.xml, no license header in
/tomcat/container/tc5.5.x/catalina/src/conf/server.xml, no license
header in /webservices/axis2/trunk/c/autogen.sh, no license header in
/spamassassin/trunk/INSTALL  .....

I was just clicking around more or less randomly to find things.  I
don't think the above oversights matter.  I suspect that the projects
are happy for the info, and will fix.

Anyway, I look forward to getting beyond this issue, and bringing my
lessons learned as one on the receiving end of the incubator graduation
process back as a member of the IPMC.

geir

Re: Forrest? Trees?

Justin Erenkrantz
On 10/19/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm pretty resigned to the fact that we're not going to be able to
> present a resolution to the board this month for Harmony.  I do keep a
> flicker of hope, mainly because I'm an eternal optimist.

Starting the discussion less than a week before any resolutions are
due is a sure-fire way to ensure this didn't get on our agenda.  =)
-- justin

Re: Forrest? Trees?

robert burrell donkin-2
On 10/20/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm pretty resigned to the fact that we're not going to be able to
> present a resolution to the board this month for Harmony.  I do keep a
> flicker of hope, mainly because I'm an eternal optimist.
>
> I do think it's a shame, because I believe the core values sought and
> taught in the incubation process are community and IP provenance, and I
> think Harmony has that in ample quantity.  I think that those are the
> core strengths of any Apache project, the necessary toolset needed by a
> community.
>
> Sure, there are minor nits in a few missing license headers in some
> scripts or CSS files or whatever, and it's good to point them out
> because these details are very important, but I think we're missing the
> bigger picture here.   These kinds of things don't reflect any defects
> in the community IMO - they're buried in the noise.   It's just an
> oversight.

yep

i think that fixing up the technical side of the release process
should be ok once the time comes (now that the community is aware). i
also think that the community is strong enough to survive the social
side.

- robert

Re: Forrest? Trees?

Greg Stein-4
You're confusing commentary with -1 votes. I don't think anybody said
"woah there, tex. look at this crap. you can't graduate." You asked
for discussion and got it. Did anybody say these things were
showstoppers?

IOW, get over it. Stop with the "woe is me" :-)

Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/