Feedback requested: New committer invitation template

Feedback requested: New committer invitation template

Craig Russell-3
Hi,

In order to simplify the process of granting new committers write access to a project's repository, I'd like to propose a change in the invitation letter sent to candidates after the PMC has voted to accept them as committers.

The original is at https://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html#committer-invite-template

It does not distinguish among these three cases: already have an Apache id, already filed an ICLA, and have not filed an ICLA. There are many cases where unnecessary work is done because of improper guidance.

To: [hidden email]
Cc: private@[PROJECT].apache.org
Subject: Invitation to become [PROJECT] committer: Joe Bloggs

Hello [invitee name],

The [Project] Project Management Committee] (PMC)
hereby offers you committer privileges to the project
[as well as membership in the PMC]. These privileges are
offered on the understanding that you'll use them
reasonably and with common sense. We like to work on trust
rather than unnecessary constraints.

Being a committer enables you to more easily make
changes without needing to go through the patch
submission process. [Being a PMC member enables you
to guide the direction of the project.]

Being a committer does not require you to
participate any more than you already do. It does
tend to make one even more committed.  You will
probably find that you spend more time here.

Of course, you can decline and instead remain as a
contributor, participating as you do now.

A. This personal invitation is a chance for you to
accept or decline in private.  Either way, please
let us know in reply to the [[hidden email]]
address only.

[check http://people.apache.org/committer-index.html]
[B. If you accept, since you already have an Apache id,
the PMC will grant you write access to the repository.
]

[check http://people.apache.org/unlistedclas.html]
[B. If you accept, since you already have an iCLA on file,
the PMC will request an Apache id for you. In your response,
please choose an id that is not already in use. See
http://people.apache.org/committer-index.html
]

[B. If you accept, the next step is to register an iCLA:
    1. Details of the iCLA and the forms are found
    through this link: http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas

    2. Instructions for its completion and return to
    the Secretary of the ASF are found at
    http://www.apache.org/licenses/#submitting
    Do not submit ICLAs to anyone but secretary, but
    please do cc: [[hidden email]]

    3. When you transmit the completed iCLA, request
    to notify the Apache [Project] and choose a
    unique Apache id. Look to see if your preferred
    id is already taken at
    http://people.apache.org/committer-index.html
    This will allow the Secretary to notify the PMC
    when your iCLA has been recorded.
]

When your reply to this invitation is received, you will
receive a follow-up message with the next steps for
establishing you as a committer.

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
[hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: Feedback requested: New committer invitation template

Kevin A. McGrail-2
Craig, having seen the hundreds of templates you process, I am +1 to any
process improvements you suggest.  -KAM

On Sat, Dec 29, 2018, 18:29 Craig Russell <[hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
>
>     2. Instructions for its completion and return to
>     the Secretary of the ASF are found at
>     http://www.apache.org/licenses/#submitting
>     Do not submit ICLAs to anyone but secretary, but
>     please do cc: [[hidden email]]
>
>     3. When you transmit the completed iCLA, request
>     to notify the Apache [Project] and choose a
>     unique Apache id. Look to see if your preferred
>     id is already taken at
>     http://people.apache.org/committer-index.html
>     This will allow the Secretary to notify the PMC
>     when your iCLA has been recorded.
> ]
>
> When your reply to this invitation is received, you will
> receive a follow-up message with the next steps for
> establishing you as a committer.
>
> Craig L Russell
> Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
> [hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: Feedback requested: New committer invitation template

Tony Kurc-2
Craig,
This looks great. I'm definitely +1.  I assume in terms of process, we can
just start doing this right away, or is there some community process that
needs to take place?

Thanks, Tony

On Sat, Dec 29, 2018, 6:29 PM Craig Russell <[hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
>
>     2. Instructions for its completion and return to
>     the Secretary of the ASF are found at
>     http://www.apache.org/licenses/#submitting
>     Do not submit ICLAs to anyone but secretary, but
>     please do cc: [[hidden email]]
>
>     3. When you transmit the completed iCLA, request
>     to notify the Apache [Project] and choose a
>     unique Apache id. Look to see if your preferred
>     id is already taken at
>     http://people.apache.org/committer-index.html
>     This will allow the Secretary to notify the PMC
>     when your iCLA has been recorded.
> ]
>
> When your reply to this invitation is received, you will
> receive a follow-up message with the next steps for
> establishing you as a committer.
>
> Craig L Russell
> Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
> [hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: Feedback requested: New committer invitation template

Dave Fisher-5
Hi Craig,

This is the perfect new guidance.

(1) I think that similar process needs to be used by Incubator Mentors for Initial PPMC Members.

(2) I assume you will send to pmcs@ once the new guidance is confirmed. I don’t have specific edits in mind, but others no doubt may.

(I wonder if writing this email can be automated on whimsy roster pages?)

Best Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> [...]
>>
>>    2. Instructions for its completion and return to
>>    the Secretary of the ASF are found at
>>    http://www.apache.org/licenses/#submitting
>>    Do not submit ICLAs to anyone but secretary, but
>>    please do cc: [[hidden email]]
>>
>>    3. When you transmit the completed iCLA, request
>>    to notify the Apache [Project] and choose a
>>    unique Apache id. Look to see if your preferred
>>    id is already taken at
>>    http://people.apache.org/committer-index.html
>>    This will allow the Secretary to notify the PMC
>>    when your iCLA has been recorded.
>> ]
>>
>> When your reply to this invitation is received, you will
>> receive a follow-up message with the next steps for
>> establishing you as a committer.
>>
>> Craig L Russell
>> Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
>> [hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: Feedback requested: New committer invitation template

Hi Tony,

> On Dec 29, 2018, at 4:47 PM, Tony Kurc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Craig,
> This looks great. I'm definitely +1.  I assume in terms of process, we can
> just start doing this right away, or is there some community process that
> needs to take place?

The only process is review of this proposed change. After I update the community page, there are references from other pages that will need to be changed.

And I'd like to have each community that has their own templates start using an adaptation of this one.

Craig

> [...]
>> ]
>>
>> [B. If you accept, the next step is to register an iCLA:
>>    1. Details of the iCLA and the forms are found
>>    through this link: http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas
>>
>>    2. Instructions for its completion and return to
>>    the Secretary of the ASF are found at
>>    http://www.apache.org/licenses/#submitting
>>    Do not submit ICLAs to anyone but secretary, but
>>    please do cc: [[hidden email]]
>>
>>    3. When you transmit the completed iCLA, request
>>    to notify the Apache [Project] and choose a
>>    unique Apache id. Look to see if your preferred
>>    id is already taken at
>>    http://people.apache.org/committer-index.html
>>    This will allow the Secretary to notify the PMC
>>    when your iCLA has been recorded.
>> ]
>>
>> When your reply to this invitation is received, you will
>> receive a follow-up message with the next steps for

[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> http://db.apache.org/jdo <http://db.apache.org/jdo>

Re: Feedback requested: New committer invitation template

Hugo Louro
Hi Craig,

+1 for the overall proposal. There is only one thing that I would like to clarify. Do you plan to have a custom email for each of the three cases (already have an Apache id, already filed an ICLA, and have not filed an ICLA), and research ahead of time to which case the person applies, or have an email that covers all the cases. If the later, my suggestion is that the email should clearly direct the recipient to choose specifically the case that applies to her/himself. I mean, have written something along the lines: If you already have an Apache is, follow these instructions, if already filed an ICLA follow these other instructions, otherwise follow this instead.

Thanks,
Hugo

> [...]
>
>    2. Instructions for its completion and return to
>    the Secretary of the ASF are found at
>    http://www.apache.org/licenses/#submitting
>    Do not submit ICLAs to anyone but secretary, but
>    please do cc: [[hidden email]]
>
>    3. When you transmit the completed iCLA, request
>    to notify the Apache [Project] and choose a
>    unique Apache id. Look to see if your preferred
>    id is already taken at
>    http://people.apache.org/committer-index.html
>    This will allow the Secretary to notify the PMC
>    when your iCLA has been recorded.
> ]
>
> When your reply to this invitation is received, you will
> receive a follow-up message with the next steps for
> establishing you as a committer.
>
> Craig L Russell
> Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
> [hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: Feedback requested: New committer invitation template

Hi Hugo,

The intent is for the PMC member sending the invitation to do the check before sending the mail and edit the mail so the candidate only sees the appropriate option.

I'll try to make this more clear in the instructions on the page that contains the sample email. [I originally had three different sample emails but they were all the same except for the paragraph B.]

Thanks for the feedback.

Craig

> [...]
>>   please do cc: [[hidden email]]
>>
>>   3. When you transmit the completed iCLA, request
>>   to notify the Apache [Project] and choose a
>>   unique Apache id. Look to see if your preferred
>>   id is already taken at
>>   http://people.apache.org/committer-index.html
>>   This will allow the Secretary to notify the PMC
>>   when your iCLA has been recorded.
>> ]
>>
>> When your reply to this invitation is received, you will
>> receive a follow-up message with the next steps for
>> establishing you as a committer.
>>
>> Craig L Russell
>> Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
>> [hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> http://db.apache.org/jdo <http://db.apache.org/jdo>

Re: Feedback requested: New committer invitation template

Matt Sicker
I like this template suggestion. It may also be helpful to note that the
Apache ids must be letters and numbers only as some people request special
characters in their ids.

Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: Feedback requested: New committer invitation template

Daniel Gruno-2
On 12/30/18 6:41 PM, Matt Sicker wrote:
> I like this template suggestion. It may also be helpful to note that the
> Apache ids must be letters and numbers only as some people request special
> characters in their ids.

Not to toot my own horn too much, but we also have
https://asf.icla.online/ which simplifies the print-type-sign-scan-email
routine for Apache ICLAs (and does verify that user ID is both available
and matches our syntax). Could be an idea to point to that for easy ICLA
work :)

> On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 09:24, Craig Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Hugo,
>>
>> The intent is for the PMC member sending the invitation to do the check
>> before sending the mail and edit the mail so the candidate only sees the
>> appropriate option.
>>
>> I'll try to make this more clear in the instructions on the page that
>> contains the sample email. [I originally had three different sample emails
>> but they were all the same except for the paragraph B.]
>>
>> Thanks for the feedback.
>>
>> Craig
>>
>>> On Dec 29, 2018, at 9:32 PM, Hugo Louro <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Craig,
>>>
>>> +1 for the overall proposal. There is only one thing that I would like
>> to clarify. Do you plan to have a custom email for each of the three cases
>> (already have an Apache id, already filed an ICLA, and have not filed an
>> ICLA), and research ahead of time to which case the person applies, or have
>> an email that covers all the cases. If the later, my suggestion is that the
>> email should clearly direct the recipient to choose specifically the case
>> that applies to her/himself. I mean, have written something along the
>> lines: If you already have an Apache is, follow these instructions, if
>> already filed an ICLA follow these other instructions, otherwise follow
>> this instead.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Hugo

>> access to a project's repository, I'd like to propose a change in the
>> invitation letter sent to candidates after the PMC has voted to accept them
>> as committers.

>> https://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html#committer-invite-template

>> id, already filed an ICLA, and have not filed an ICLA. There are many cases
>> where unnecessary work is done because of improper guidance.

>> Craig L Russell
>> Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
>> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> http://db.apache.org/jdo <
>> http://db.apache.org/jdo>

Re: Feedback requested: New committer invitation template

Joan Touzet
Nice work, Daniel - that should definitely be incorporated. It's a big
improvement over a template that a human has to review before

In addition to this, we over at CouchDB found the intro text a bit too
forceful for our tastes - too much guilt tripping and expectation
setting. It's also in our opinion premature to start talking about ICLAs
until the candidate actually accepts.

Here's how we adapted this email to be friendlier (including links to our
project bylaws and CoC):

----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----

Dear %NAME%,

The Apache CouchDB Project Management Committee (PMC) would like to invite you to become a committer. Committers are given a binding vote in certain project decisions, as well as write access to public project infrastructure.

We value your contributions to date, and believe that you are committed to the project. We mean this in the sense of being loyal to the project and its interests. It is a position of trust, not an expectation of activity level.

You can read more about the role in our bylaws:

    http://couchdb.apache.org/bylaws.html#committers

Please also familiarise yourself with our code of conduct:

    http://couchdb.apache.org/conduct.html

While these documents apply to all community members, by accepting this invitation you are indicating that you have read and agree to them.

Accepting this invitation does not obligate you to contribute. The ASF is a volunteer organisation and it is normal for people's contribution levels to vary. We welcome more contributions from you, but there is no expectation, and this position of trust will not expire through inactivity.

Of course, you can decline and continue to contribute as you do now. If you do decline, it will be kept private, unless you say otherwise.

Either way, please let us know in reply to the [hidden email] list only. If you accept, we will announce your new position on the [hidden email] list after your account is created.

On behalf of the CouchDB PMC,
%YOURNAME%
----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----

Once this is accepted by the candidate, we then send through instructions to sign an ICLA, which I'm now updating to use Humbedooh's lovely online generator.

You can see all of our PMC form letters here:

https://github.com/apache/couchdb-admin/tree/master/email

-Joan

> > I like this template suggestion. It may also be helpful to note
> > that the
> > Apache ids must be letters and numbers only as some people request
> > special
> > characters in their ids.
>
> Not to toot my own horn too much, but we also have
> https://asf.icla.online/ which simplifies the
> print-type-sign-scan-email
> routine for Apache ICLAs (and does verify that user ID is both
> available
> and matches our syntax). Could be an idea to point to that for easy
> ICLA
> work :)
>

> > On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 09:24, Craig Russell <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Hugo,
> >>
> >> The intent is for the PMC member sending the invitation to do the
> >> check
> >> before sending the mail and edit the mail so the candidate only
> >> sees the
> >> appropriate option.
> >>
> >> I'll try to make this more clear in the instructions on the page
> >> that
> >> contains the sample email. [I originally had three different
> >> sample emails
> >> but they were all the same except for the paragraph B.]
> >>
> >> Thanks for the feedback.
> >>
> >> Craig

> >> to clarify. Do you plan to have a custom email for each of the
> >> three cases
> >> (already have an Apache id, already filed an ICLA, and have not
> >> filed an
> >> ICLA), and research ahead of time to which case the person
> >> applies, or have
> >> an email that covers all the cases. If the later, my suggestion is
> >> that the
> >> email should clearly direct the recipient to choose specifically
> >> the case
> >> that applies to her/himself. I mean, have written something along
> >> the
> >> lines: If you already have an Apache is, follow these
> >> instructions, if
> >> already filed an ICLA follow these other instructions, otherwise
> >> follow
> >> this instead.

> >> access to a project's repository, I'd like to propose a change in
> >> the
> >> invitation letter sent to candidates after the PMC has voted to
> >> accept them
> >> as committers.

> >> https://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html#committer-invite-template

> >> id, already filed an ICLA, and have not filed an ICLA. There are
> >> many cases
> >> where unnecessary work is done because of improper guidance.

> >> Craig L Russell
> >> Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
> >> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> http://db.apache.org/jdo <
> >> http://db.apache.org/jdo>

Re: Feedback requested: New committer invitation template

David Jencks-3
I like this couchdb text a lot except please actually invite the recipient instead of indicating a desire to perhaps do so at some indefinite time. E.g.
> The Apache CouchDB Project Management Committee (PMC) hereby invites you to become a committer.
David Jencks

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 30, 2018, at 11:22 AM, Joan Touzet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Nice work, Daniel - that should definitely be incorporated. It's a big
> improvement over a template that a human has to review before
>
> In addition to this, we over at CouchDB found the intro text a bit too
> forceful for our tastes - too much guilt tripping and expectation
> setting. It's also in our opinion premature to start talking about ICLAs
> until the candidate actually accepts.
>
> Here's how we adapted this email to be friendlier (including links to our
> project bylaws and CoC):
>
> ----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----
>
> Dear %NAME%,
>
> The Apache CouchDB Project Management Committee (PMC) would like to invite you to become a committer. Committers are given a binding vote in certain project decisions, as well as write access to public project infrastructure.
>
> We value your contributions to date, and believe that you are committed to the project. We mean this in the sense of being loyal to the project and its interests. It is a position of trust, not an expectation of activity level.
>
> You can read more about the role in our bylaws:
>
>    http://couchdb.apache.org/bylaws.html#committers
>
> Please also familiarise yourself with our code of conduct:
>
>    http://couchdb.apache.org/conduct.html
>
> While these documents apply to all community members, by accepting this invitation you are indicating that you have read and agree to them.
>
> Accepting this invitation does not obligate you to contribute. The ASF is a volunteer organisation and it is normal for people's contribution levels to vary. We welcome more contributions from you, but there is no expectation, and this position of trust will not expire through inactivity.
>
> Of course, you can decline and continue to contribute as you do now. If you do decline, it will be kept private, unless you say otherwise.
>
> Either way, please let us know in reply to the [hidden email] list only. If you accept, we will announce your new position on the [hidden email] list after your account is created.
>
> On behalf of the CouchDB PMC,
> %YOURNAME%
> ----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----
>
> Once this is accepted by the candidate, we then send through instructions to sign an ICLA, which I'm now updating to use Humbedooh's lovely online generator.
>
> You can see all of our PMC form letters here:
>
> https://github.com/apache/couchdb-admin/tree/master/email
>
> -Joan

Hi Daniel,

The work you did here is indeed excellent. The only trouble I have with it is that most people cannot use a mouse or trackball or touch pad to create a signature that looks anything like their signature. [This is the same issue I have with voting machines that verify voters' signatures against touch pad/mouse signatures.]

That said, I have no issue if you would like to update the official web page with instructions on how to use this tool. http://www.apache.org/licenses/#submitting

If you can update the tool to allow the user to sign electronically (and to upload their public key) it will get my enthusiastic support.

Regards,

Craig

> On Dec 30, 2018, at 10:24 AM, Daniel Gruno <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 12/30/18 6:41 PM, Matt Sicker wrote:
>> I like this template suggestion. It may also be helpful to note that the
>> Apache ids must be letters and numbers only as some people request special
>> characters in their ids.
>
> Not to toot my own horn too much, but we also have https://asf.icla.online/ which simplifies the print-type-sign-scan-email routine for Apache ICLAs (and does verify that user ID is both available and matches our syntax). Could be an idea to point to that for easy ICLA work :)
>

>> On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 09:24, Craig Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Hugo,
>>>
>>> The intent is for the PMC member sending the invitation to do the check
>>> before sending the mail and edit the mail so the candidate only sees the
>>> appropriate option.
>>>
>>> I'll try to make this more clear in the instructions on the page that
>>> contains the sample email. [I originally had three different sample emails
>>> but they were all the same except for the paragraph B.]
>>>
>>> Thanks for the feedback.
>>>
>>> Craig

>>> to clarify. Do you plan to have a custom email for each of the three cases
>>> (already have an Apache id, already filed an ICLA, and have not filed an
>>> ICLA), and research ahead of time to which case the person applies, or have
>>> an email that covers all the cases. If the later, my suggestion is that the
>>> email should clearly direct the recipient to choose specifically the case
>>> that applies to her/himself. I mean, have written something along the
>>> lines: If you already have an Apache is, follow these instructions, if
>>> already filed an ICLA follow these other instructions, otherwise follow
>>> this instead.

>>> access to a project's repository, I'd like to propose a change in the
>>> invitation letter sent to candidates after the PMC has voted to accept them
>>> as committers.

>>> https://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html#committer-invite-template

>>> id, already filed an ICLA, and have not filed an ICLA. There are many cases
>>> where unnecessary work is done because of improper guidance.

>>> Craig L Russell
>>> Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
>>> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> http://db.apache.org/jdo <
>>> http://db.apache.org/jdo>

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> http://db.apache.org/jdo <http://db.apache.org/jdo>

Re: Feedback requested: New committer invitation template

Craig Russell-3
Hi Joan,

> On Dec 30, 2018, at 11:22 AM, Joan Touzet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Nice work, Daniel - that should definitely be incorporated. It's a big
> improvement over a template that a human has to review before

Thanks for this feedback.

> In addition to this, we over at CouchDB found the intro text a bit too
> forceful for our tastes - too much guilt tripping and expectation
> setting. It's also in our opinion premature to start talking about ICLAs
> until the candidate actually accepts.
>
> Here's how we adapted this email to be friendlier (including links to our
> project bylaws and CoC):
>
> ----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----
>
> Dear %NAME%,
>
> The Apache CouchDB Project Management Committee (PMC) would like to invite you to become a committer. Committers are given a binding vote in certain project decisions, as well as write access to public project infrastructure.
>
> We value your contributions to date, and believe that you are committed to the project. We mean this in the sense of being loyal to the project and its interests. It is a position of trust, not an expectation of activity level.
>
> You can read more about the role in our bylaws:
>
>    http://couchdb.apache.org/bylaws.html#committers
>
> Please also familiarise yourself with our code of conduct:
>
>    http://couchdb.apache.org/conduct.html
>
> While these documents apply to all community members, by accepting this invitation you are indicating that you have read and agree to them.
>
> Accepting this invitation does not obligate you to contribute. The ASF is a volunteer organisation and it is normal for people's contribution levels to vary. We welcome more contributions from you, but there is no expectation, and this position of trust will not expire through inactivity.
>
> Of course, you can decline and continue to contribute as you do now. If you do decline, it will be kept private, unless you say otherwise.
>
> Either way, please let us know in reply to the [hidden email] list only. If you accept, we will announce your new position on the [hidden email] list after your account is created.

I appreciate that your process is different from the community guidelines, and that your community prefers to have the candidate reply before sending further instructions (which as you point out might assume that by default the candidate intends to accept).

But this change would be a step too far for me to endorse without significant additional discussions. One reason that the process is as it is now is to streamline the process of granting commit rights to new community members, and your process would tend to delay it.

> On behalf of the CouchDB PMC,
> %YOURNAME%
>
> Once this is accepted by the candidate, we then send through instructions to sign an ICLA, which I'm now updating to use Humbedooh's lovely online generator.

I'm hoping that you will use this opportunity to send one of the three revised section B paragraphs to avoid unnecessary delay in granting commit rights to the candidate.

Regards,

Craig