Deleting older releases (was: [VOTE] Apache MXNet (incubating) 1.1.0 release RC0)

Deleting older releases (was: [VOTE] Apache MXNet (incubating) 1.1.0 release RC0)

sebb-2-2
On 5 February 2018 at 23:40, Haibin Lin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Sebb,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. I've updated the release process wiki at
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Release+Process#ReleaseProcess-3.7.CleanupolderreleasesonASFmirrors
> <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Release+Process#ReleaseProcess-3.7.CleanupolderreleasesonASFmirrors>
> include the steps to remove old releases.

There's no need to checkout a directory in order to delete it.

SVN allows one to remove a remote file or directory directly:

svn rm -m'Tidy of old release'
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/mxnet/1.0

That avoids unnecessary downloads of the stuff that you are about to delete ...

Re: Deleting older releases (was: [VOTE] Apache MXNet (incubating) 1.1.0 release RC0)

Haibin Lin
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll update the wiki as soon as I get internet
access.

Best,
Haibin

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 4:04 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5 February 2018 at 23:40, Haibin Lin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Sebb,
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion. I've updated the release process wiki at
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Release+Process#
> ReleaseProcess-3.7.CleanupolderreleasesonASFmirrors
> > <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Release+Process#
> ReleaseProcess-3.7.CleanupolderreleasesonASFmirrors>
> > include the steps to remove old releases.
>
> There's no need to checkout a directory in order to delete it.
>
> SVN allows one to remove a remote file or directory directly:
>
> svn rm -m'Tidy of old release'
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/mxnet/1.0
>
> That avoids unnecessary downloads of the stuff that you are about to
> delete ...

Re: Deleting older releases (was: [VOTE] Apache MXNet (incubating) 1.1.0 release RC0)

John D. Ament-2
Please note though that this release is only old once the new release is
approved.  So there's no rush in deleting the 1.0 release until 1.1 has
passed.

Most projects that I deal with simply do this as a part of the release
execution.

John