Dealing with Unresponsive Mentors

lewis john mcgibbney-2
Hi Folks,
What is the process of essentially off-boarding unresponsive and inactive
mentors with the sole aim of attracting new mentors who can inject life
into various aspects of podling maturity?
Lewis

http://home.apache.org/~lewismc/
http://people.apache.org/keys/committer/lewismc

Re: Dealing with Unresponsive Mentors

> What is the process of essentially off-boarding unresponsive and inactive
> mentors with the sole aim of attracting new mentors who can inject life
> into various aspects of podling maturity?

I’d just ask them if they can continue in the role or still have the cycles to help. If they can’t continue or are unresponsive then just ask for more mentors for the project on this list.

Re: Dealing with Unresponsive Mentors

Julian Hyde-3
There was a long thread about absent mentors a few months ago[1]. The consensus on the thread seemed to be to introduce some metrics. I was and am skeptical of that approach because it requires constant attention from the IPMC.

The solution I advocated in that thread is to encourage podlings to ask for help if they are not getting service from their mentors. And perhaps to add a "Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?” question to the report template.

Julian

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/e80a611ea233a5f854aae5f63374e6490af70a5ecbe886874111037c@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/e80a611ea233a5f854aae5f63374e6490af70a5ecbe886874111037c@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E>

> On Aug 29, 2018, at 1:46 PM, Justin Mclean <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> What is the process of essentially off-boarding unresponsive and inactive
>> mentors with the sole aim of attracting new mentors who can inject life
>> into various aspects of podling maturity?
>
> I’d just ask them if they can continue in the role or still have the cycles to help. If they can’t continue or are unresponsive then just ask for more mentors for the project on this list.

Re: Dealing with Unresponsive Mentors

P. Taylor Goetz
I increasingly tend to agree. However, if we put the onus on PPMCs to police inactive mentors, there should probably be a documented process in place (which it is [1]).

My concern with that policy is the potential for a chilling effect. Mentors are more often than not ASF Members. I can easily imagine situations where podlings might avoid such a move out of fear of offending an ASF Member.

-Taylor

[1] https://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html#removing_a_mentor

> On Aug 29, 2018, at 7:33 PM, Julian Hyde <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There was a long thread about absent mentors a few months ago[1]. The consensus on the thread seemed to be to introduce some metrics. I was and am skeptical of that approach because it requires constant attention from the IPMC.
>
> The solution I advocated in that thread is to encourage podlings to ask for help if they are not getting service from their mentors. And perhaps to add a "Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?” question to the report template.
>
> Julian
>
> [1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/e80a611ea233a5f854aae5f63374e6490af70a5ecbe886874111037c@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/e80a611ea233a5f854aae5f63374e6490af70a5ecbe886874111037c@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E>
>
>> On Aug 29, 2018, at 1:46 PM, Justin Mclean <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> What is the process of essentially off-boarding unresponsive and inactive
>>> mentors with the sole aim of attracting new mentors who can inject life
>>> into various aspects of podling maturity?
>>
>> I’d just ask them if they can continue in the role or still have the cycles to help. If they can’t continue or are unresponsive then just ask for more mentors for the project on this list.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Justin

Re: Dealing with Unresponsive Mentors

Justin Mclean-3
HI,

> I increasingly tend to agree. However, if we put the onus on PPMCs to police inactive mentors, there should probably be a documented process in place (which it is [1]).

If mentors can’t sign off reports on a frequent basis I think the PPMC should ask for them to be replaced. If they are not doing that then it likely they are not doing anything else. Some podling have under a 50% sign off rate [1]. It was suggest that we send out some emails a few months back to podling with possible inactive mentors/ possible inactive mentors, I think that probably a better idea than asking PPMCs to tell us as as you say they may be reluctant to do so.

1. https://whimsy.apache.org/incubator/signoff.cgi#bypodling