[DRAFT] Incubator PMC Board Report - June 2017

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[DRAFT] Incubator PMC Board Report - June 2017

John D. Ament-2
All,

Below is the present draft of our board report.  Four podlings are missing
sign off (CC'd) and it needs some reflowing.  I removed 3 non-reporting
podlings.

Remember that you can update the report on the wiki at
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/June2017 (aka don't reply asking me to
make a change :-)

Incubator PMC report for June 2017

The Apache Incubator is the entry path into the ASF for projects and
codebases wishing to become part of the Foundation's efforts.

At the end of May, there were 60 podlings incubating.  Podlings executed
six releases this month.  The incubator brought in one new podling, and the
board has motions to graduate three podlings from the incubator.  One IPMC
member stepped down while two new IPMC members joined.

* Community

  New IPMC members:

  - Bikas Saha
  - Bob Paulin

  People who left the IPMC:

  - Par Niclas Hedhman

* New Podlings

  - Superset

* Podlings that failed to report, expected next month

  - MRQL - No on list discussion in past 3 months, limited discussions
prior to that.
  - Myriad - Discussing retirement
  - Sirona - Likely to be retired or moved as a sub-project by next report

* Graduations

  The board has motions for the following:

  - Atlas
  - MADlib
  - Mynewt

* Releases

  The following releases entered distribution during the month of
  May:

  - 2017-05-01 Apache Trafodion 2.1.0
  - 2017-05-04 Apache Mnemonic 0.7.0-incubating
  - 2017-05-09 Apache Airflow 1.8.1
  - 2017-05-09 Apache MADlib 1.10.0
  - 2017-05-17 Apache Ratis 0.1.0-alpha
  - 2017-05-30 Apache Tephra 0.12.0

* IP Clearance



* Legal / Trademarks



* Infrastructure

  - The Incubator has begun to migrate podling maintenance into Whimsy

* Miscellaneous

  - The IPMC has elected a new chair, hopefully accepted at this month's
board meeting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
                       Table of Contents
AriaTosca
Atlas
Gearpump
Gobblin
Griffin
Hivemall
HORN
HTrace
iota
Joshua
Mnemonic
Omid
OpenWhisk
Pony Mail
Quickstep
SAMOA
Singa
Slider
Spot
Streams
Superset
Tamaya
Taverna
Tephra
Toree
Trafodion
Wave

----------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
AriaTosca

ARIA TOSCA project offers an easily consumable Software Development Kit(SDK)
and a Command Line Interface(CLI) to implement TOSCA(Topology and
Orchestration Specification of Cloud Applications) based solutions.

AriaTosca has been incubating since 2016-08-27.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Grow the community and enroll new committers.
  2. Have frequent Release cycles to be compliant with the Apache Way.
  3. Move the website to apache.org

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

 The project is ready for its first release as far as the code is
concerned; We're working on updating the README and ensuring compatibility
with ASF's regulations regarding creating releases.
On the latter issue, we've come across a few possible problems, that are
being discussed on the project's mailing list.
For more information, see the threads "ARIA dependencies License issues"
and "A few questions about creating a release" on the mailing list archive.


How has the community developed since the last report?

 * All project communication takes now place on either the mailing list or
ASF's Slack, and is open for everybody.
 * Increased chatter on the mailing list including new subscribers who ask
questions, make suggestions and are likely to become contributors
themselves in the near future.

How has the project developed since the last report?

 1. ARIA now has a CLI, making it usable as a stand alone tool as well as a
library.
 2. Usage examples have been added
 3. End-to-End tests now run on a daily basis (as well as on CIs for every
commit)
 4. 93 JIRA issues have been resolved since the last report

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  No release yet.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Project is still functioning with the initial set of committers.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](ariatosca) Suneel Marthi
     Comments:
  [X](ariatosca) John D. Ament
     Comments:  The project continues to struggle in adopting the Apache
Way.  It's clear most of them want to do it, but need to work on getting
focused to make it happen.
  [ ](ariatosca) Jakob Homan
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:



--------------------
Atlas

 Apache Atlas is a scalable and extensible set of core foundational
governance
 services that enables enterprises to effectively and efficiently meet their
 compliance requirements within Hadoop and allows integration with the
complete
 enterprise data ecosystem

 Atlas has been incubating since 2015-05-05.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

We do not see any issues in moving towards graduation. The dev community
feel
that we are ready for graduation as discussed in this mail thread:
https://s.apache.org/94xI. We have intimated the IPMC about this and are
working towards answering some queries raised in the Incubator mailing list
regarding the same.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

None that we are aware of.

How has the community developed since the last report?

 * Madhan Neethiraj was voted in to the Apache Atlas PPMC.
 * The following new committers were added:
   * Ayub Khan Pathan
   * Apoorv Naik
   * Kalyani Kashikar
   * Neeru Gupta
   * Nixon Rodriguez
   * Sarath Subramanian
 * Following contributors have been added to JIRA.
   * Jan Hentschel
   * Qinglin Xia
   * Laxmikanth Malladi
   * Shi Wang
   * Christopher Grote
   * Graham Wallis

How has the project developed since the last report?

 * Apache Atlas community released version 0.8 of the software on March 31
2017. [1]
 * Several new features are in progress or have finished development
including enhanced metadata and governance capabilities through typesystem
improvements (modeling relationships, glossary), a Virtual Data Connector
project, improvements to search capabilities, Export/Import of Atlas graph
metadata etc.
 * 239 new issues were filed between March 1st 2017 and May 29th [2]. 189
issues were resolved in the same time [3]

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [X] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2017-03-31

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  * PPMC Members - Madhan Neetiraj  (March 5 2017)
  * Committer - Ayub Pathan (March 20 2017)

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/739d520597ea0bf93e9b5649044bc6a92c4660bbc44ffdd94f5bcb21@%3Cdev.atlas.apache.org%3E
[2]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20ATLAS%20AND%20created%20%3E%3D%202017-03-01%20AND%20created%20%3C%3D%202017-05-29
[3]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20ATLAS%20AND%20resolutiondate%20%3E%3D%202017-03-01%20AND%20resolutiondate%20%3C%3D%202017-05-29%20ORDER%20BY%20resolutiondate%2C%20createdDate%20DESC

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](atlas) Arun Murthy
     Comments:
  [X](atlas) Chris Douglas
     Comments:
  [ ](atlas) Jakob Homan
     Comments:
  [ ](atlas) Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:



--------------------
Gearpump

Gearpump is a reactive real-time streaming engine based on the micro-service
Actor model.

Gearpump has been incubating since 2016-03-08.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1.  Have frequent release cycles.
  2. Continue to evolve community interest and support.
  3. Increase user adoption.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  - Increased community contribution on rabbitmq connector and state
management.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  - 27 issues created and 24 issues resolved.

  - Continued integration within Apache Beam (Gearpump Runner).

  - Joined in GSoC 2017 project.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2017-04-19

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  No new committers or PMC members elected yet.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](gearpump) Andrew Purtell
     Comments:
  [ ](gearpump) Jarek Jarcec Cecho
     Comments:
  [ ](gearpump) Reynold Xin
     Comments:
  [ ](gearpump) Todd Lipcon
     Comments:
  [ ](gearpump) Xuefu Zhang
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:



--------------------
Gobblin

Gobblin is a distributed data integration framework that simplifies common
aspects of big data integration such as data ingestion, replication,
organization and lifecycle management for both streaming and batch data
ecosystems.

Gobblin has been incubating since 2017-02-23.

Few first steps has been made:

* mailing list setup
* jira setup
* few Apache account creation for new committers.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Code import. Still need agreement from LinkedIn/Microsoft

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  We are very first steps of the project

How has the project developed since the last report?

  Not much. We are waiting code donation before start building the
community.


How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  N/A

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  N/A

Signed-off-by:

  [X](gobblin) Olivier Lamy
     Comments:
  [ ](gobblin) Jean-Baptiste Onofre
     Comments:
  [ ](gobblin) Jim Jagielski
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:



--------------------
Griffin

Griffin is an open source Data Quality solution for distributed data
systems at
any scale in both streaming or batch data context

Griffin has been incubating since 2016-12-05.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Make the first release.
  2. Enhance data quality algorithms to let contributors to expand
artifacts to meet more data quality dimensions.
  3. Onboard more use cases.


Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

    None

How has the community developed since the last report?
1.We were invited to Database Technology conference China 2017(
http://dtcc.it168.com/yicheng.html ) to introduce Apache Griffin in May,
lots of open source audience would like to try Apache Griffin as their data
quality solution.
2.We were invited to Opensource Innovation Meetup(
https://www.oschina.net/news/84136/2017-5-yue-yuanchuanghui ) to introduce
Apache Griffin in May, some of them will contribute to our development.
3.Discussed with Angular expert damoqiongqiu (
https://github.com/damoqiongqiu) for UI enhance.

How has the project developed since the last report?
  - Active development started in the community. 38 commits since last
report.
  - Core services are done, users can go through our data quality process
easily.
  - Setup online demo on AWS.[will attach here soon]

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  XXXX-XX-XX

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?



Signed-off-by:

  [ ](griffin) Kasper Sørensen
     Comments:
  [X](griffin) Uma Maheswara Rao Gangumalla
     Comments:
  [ ](griffin) Luciano Resende
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:



--------------------
Hivemall

Hivemall is a library for machine learning implemented as Hive
UDFs/UDAFs/UDTFs.

Hivemall has been incubating since 2016-09-13.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Create the first Apache release
  2. Community growth (committers and users)
  3. Documentation improvements

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  * We invited Takuya KItazawa to PPMC on April 24th but his is not yet
   getting an invitation from IPMC. Could you take a look?

    Vote thread is at:
    msgid:
[hidden email]

How has the community developed since the last report?

  * We invited a PPMC member (Takuya Kitazawa)
  * Had a presentation at Apache BigData, Miami
    https://goo.gl/7JZ59O

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/apachebigdata2017.pdf
(slide)
  * Had a BoF session at Apache BigData, Miami
  * Github watchers/stars are gradually increasing:
     79 stars as of May 31 (was 52 on Feb 28)
  * Twitter account @ApacheHivemall followers are gradually increasing:
     70 followers as of May 31 (was 52 on Feb 28)

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * approaching the first Apache release in Q2
     - Blocking issues are decreased
       https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVEMALL-21
  * 4 committers are active at development
    https://github.com/apache/incubator-hivemall/pulse/monthly

  Since the last report (March 2017), we have
    * Opened 24 JIRA issues and closed 19 JIRA issues
       as seen in https://goo.gl/88Qr11
                      Created   Resolved
          March 2017    9          10
          April 2017    7           6
          May 2017      8           3
    * Created 27 Pull Requests

https://github.com/apache/incubator-hivemall/pulls?q=is%3Apr%20created%3A2017-03-01..2017-05-31
    * Merged 27 Pull Requests

https://github.com/apache/incubator-hivemall/pulls?q=is%3Apr%20closed%3A2017-03-01..2017-05-31

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [x] Working towards first release
  [x] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  No release yet
  (planning the first Apache release in Q2, 2017)

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  * Inviting Takuya Kitazawa to PPMC

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](hivemall) Reynold Xin
     Comments:
  [ ](hivemall) Markus Weimer
     Comments:
  [ ](hivemall) Xiangrui Meng
     Comments:
  [x](hivemall) Daniel Dai
     Comments: You can invite Takuya Kitazawa to PPMC now.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:



--------------------
HORN

HORN is a neuron-centric programming APIs and execution framework for large-
scale deep learning, built on top of Apache Hama.

HORN has been incubating since 2015-09-04.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. continue working on getting an initial release
  2. drive more interest in project
  3. increase presence on mailing lists

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

n/a

How has the community developed since the last report?

n.a

How has the project developed since the last report?

n/a

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [x] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  XXXX-XX-XX

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?



Signed-off-by:

  [ ](horn) Luciano Resende
     Comments:
  [ ](horn) Edward J. Yoon
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:



--------------------
HTrace

HTrace is a tracing framework intended for use with distributed systems
written in java.

HTrace has been incubating since 2014-11-11.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Continue to grow the Apache HTrace community
  2. Continue to explore projects integrating Apache HTrace
  3. Continue to develop and release stable Apache HTrace incubating
artifacts

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Mailing lists have been quiet.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  We are on track to make an HTrace 4.3 release.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [x] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2016-10-06

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2016-10-03


Signed-off-by:

  [x](htrace) Jake Farrell
     Comments:
  [ ](htrace) Todd Lipcon
     Comments:
  [ ](htrace) Lewis John Mcgibbney
     Comments:
  [ ](htrace) Andrew Purtell
     Comments:
  [x](htrace) Billie Rinaldi
     Comments:
  [x](htrace) Michael Stack
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:



--------------------
iota

Open source system that enables the orchestration of IoT devices.

iota has been incubating since 2016-01-20.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

1. An initial release of iota
2. Building a more active community
3. Consistency in the discussions on mailing lists/ steady flow of source
code
contributions

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

None

How has the community developed since the last report?

Presentation give at ApacheCon Miami with a focus on developing downloading
iota
and developing iota performers. Several individuals became interested in
using iota
and have begun contributing to the iota user and dev threads.

How has the project developed since the last report?

Two new contributors are proposing the addition of Akka dependency
injection into iota
to facilitate the integration with the Spring Framework.

This coming next month there will be an initial release of iota.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  XXXX-XX-XX

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
Yes - Barbara Gomes was added as a committer on 12/02/2016


Signed-off-by:

  [ ](iota) Daniel Gruno
     Comments:
  [ ](iota) Sterling Hughes
     Comments:
  [X](iota) Justin Mclean
     Comments:
      Currently I'm not sure if Apache is the right place for this project
as they seem unable to keep discussion on list, develop in the open or make
a release.
      Little has changed since these emails [1][2]. This pull request has
been outstanding since February. [3] On the plus side a talk at ApacheCon
has generated more interest.
      1.
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/5fabdad2f6d32e9248f207010f59b75477098dddd43ee2b1ff4510ad@%3Cdev.iota.apache.org%3E
      2.
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/f995bc2a9bc4b8df84feff2b979516a607e9841319ab68f7209346b0@%3Cdev.iota.apache.org%3E
      3. https://github.com/apache/incubator-iota/pull/32
  [ ](iota) Hadrian Zbarcea
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Joshua

Joshua is a statistical machine translation toolkit

Joshua has been incubating since 2016-02-13.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Release Apache Joshua incubating 6.1 (rc4) and then begin development
on 7.X branch.
  2. Identifying specific use cases that we might excel at.
  3. Attracting active developers and users.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

There is currently an ongoing VOTE thread over on general@incubator
regarding
the proposed release of Apache Joshua incubating 6.1 (rc4). If this goes
through
it will be a significant achievement for the podling.

How has the community developed since the last report?

There are ongoing discussion threads on user@ regarding integration
of Joshua with Mailman. There are no new community members. Some members
of the Joshua PPMC became Apache members post this years annual meeting.
Henry Yandell is now emeritus mentor.

How has the project developed since the last report?

The community has been iterating on Apache Joshua incubating 6.1 RC's
as well as refining the release process. We have pretty much addressed
all concerns now so subsequent releases should be easier.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup DONE
  [X] Working towards first release VERY CLOSE
  [ ] Community building Joshua was not represented at ApacheCon this year
      but hopefully we can get involved in future events.
  [ ] Nearing graduation possibly one or two more releases... possibly of
      the 7.X branch before we graduate.
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  N/A

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  - 2016-11-16 Michael A. Hedderich (mhedderich) joins the Joshua PPMC +
    Committership.
  - 2016-11-16 Tobias Domhan (tdomhan) joins the Joshua PPMC +
Committership.
  - 2016-11-02 Max Thomas (mthomas) joins the Joshua PPMC + Committership.

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](joshua) Paul Ramirez
     Comments:
  [X](joshua) Lewis John McGibbney
     Comments: The community will benefit significantly from a 6.1 release
if the
     current VOTE on general@incubator passes.
  [ ](joshua) Chris Mattmann
     Comments:
  [X](joshua) Tom Barber
     Comments: There has been a slight bottleneck with committers bandwidth
and
     the ability to ship a release, along with getting other people
familiar with
     the release process and happy to ship new versions. I'm sure this
bottleneck
     will reduce when have iterated through a few more releases to iron out
the
     kinks.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:



--------------------
Mnemonic

Apache Mnemonic is an advanced hybrid memory storage oriented library,
we've proposed a non-volatile/durable Java object model and durable
computing service that bring many advantages to significantly improve
the performance of massive real-time data
processing/analytics. developers are able to use this library to design
their cache-less, SerDe-less and native-direct computing high
performance applications.

Mnemonic has been incubating since 2016-03-03.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Have elected new PPMC and committers
  2. Integrated with Apache Spark and released v0.7.0
  3. Presented Mnemonic models on ApacheCon 17'

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

No

How has the community developed since the last report?

Our last report was in Mar. Since then

* discussed the gaps from graduation
* elected new release manager

How has the project developed since the last report?

* Added Durable Tree as new durable collection
* Added DurableRDD for Apache spark integration
* Improved the persistence and transaction APIs for durable objects
* and other bugfixes, features, improvements

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [X] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2017-05-04

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Debo Dutta   (PPMC and Committer 2017-04-19)
Johnu George (Committer 2017-04-28)

Signed-off-by:

  [X](mnemonic) Patrick Hunt
     Comments:
  [ ](mnemonic) Andrew Purtell
     Comments:
  [X](mnemonic) James Taylor
     Comments:
  [ ](mnemonic) Henry Saputra
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


--------------------
Omid

Omid is a flexible, reliable, high performant and scalable ACID
transactional
framework that allows client applications to execute transactions on top of
MVCC key/value-based NoSQL datastores (currently Apache HBase) providing
Snapshot Isolation guarantees on the accessed data.

Omid has been incubating since 2016-03-28.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Boost project dissemination in the Apache community.
  2. Collaborate/integrate Omid with other Apache projects.
  3. Get positive feedback from other projects currently

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  N/A

How has the community developed since the last report?

  2 new contributors
  Omid presented in the Apache Conf US in comparison to other Apache TMs
for HBase. It will be presented also in HBase conf in mid June.
  Meeting with Apache Tephra contributors

How has the project developed since the last report?

  Several bugs discovered and working on fixes.
  Continue working on next release. Testing in prod env.
  Quarter Stats (from: 2017-03-01 to: 2017-05-31):


    +---------------------------------------------+
    |   Metric                          | counts  |
    +---------------------------------------------+
    | # of msgs in dev list             |   60    |
    | Active Contributors (incl mentors)|    8    |
    | Jira New Issues                   |    8    |
    | Resolved Issues                   |    2    |
    | Pull Requests merged              |    1    |
    | Pull Requests proposed            |    3    |
    +---------------------------------------------+

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2016-06-24

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Signed-off-by:

  [X](omid) Alan Gates
     Comments:  In the past I have made comments on the lack of activity on
this podling.  While activity is still low it has definitely picked up with
several JIRAs being filed and fixed and user queries appearing on the
mailing list and being answered.  It's good to see this pickup in activity.
  [ ](omid) Lars Hofhansl
     Comments:
  [X](omid) Flavio P. Junqueira
     Comments:
  [ ](omid) Thejas Nair
     Comments:
  [X](omid) James Taylor
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


--------------------
OpenWhisk

OpenWhisk is an open source, distributed Serverless computing platform able
to execute application logic (Actions) in response to events (Triggers) from
external sources (Feeds) or HTTP requests governed by conditional logic
(Rules). It provides a programming environment supported by a REST API-based
Command Line Interface (CLI) along with tooling to support packaging and
catalog services.

OpenWhisk has been incubating since 2016-11-23.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Moving last remaining (project website) github repo. :
          i.e., https://github.com/openwhisk/openwhisk.github.io
      under the Apache Github org.
          i.e. http://openwhisk.incubator.apache.org/
      and automatic Jenkins build to compile the static website
      (using current Jekyll) build and automate publishing
      to our incubator site. looking at using the “GitPubSub” tool:
      https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/git_based_websites_available
  2. Complete updating all source files with approved ASF header (incl. JS)
  3. Credentials sharing process for social media sites (e.g., Twitter,
      YouTube, Medium, etc.) to provide access to PPMC members.

      Continue working through project incubation checklists on CWIKI
      Compliance Checklist for OpenWhisk.org website.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  - Travis is still taking much longer under the Apache org. within GitHub
then
    it did under the previous openwhisk.org and experiencing build
time-outs.
    Developers are looking to reduce build dependencies to shorten build
times
    by using pre-built Docker images, as well as optimizing CI tests.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  - Successful sessions / Shark Tank / BoF at ApacheCon NA 2017.
    - OpenWhisk booth presence very active with great interest in
architecture.
  - GitHub project “Stars” = 1511 (up from 1395 last month) with 310 forks.
     - a couple new contributors in devtools/kube repos.
     - new ICLA from Vadim Raskin
  - “dev", “private” email list traffic continues to be healthy; positive
    discussion of a few new code feature/change topics.
  - requested/created new “issues” list to provide separate destination
    for GitHub issues emails / separate from “commits” and allow better
“searchability"
  - Increased traffic on Slack “general” channel.  Install/deployment
questions
    - setup/config/local build questions/errors being addressed.
  - Under our public Slack Team (openwhisk-team.slack.com).
        - Added a new channel named “kubernetes” for discussion of our new
          Kubernetes deployment (project/repo.)
  - Moving all GitHub issue emails to new “issues” list
  - Exploring forwarding “dev” Slack threads to “dev” email list

How has the project developed since the last report?
  - 29/30 Repositories moved from “openwhisk” to “apache” org. under
    GitHub successfully.
    - Addressing Travis (URL) changes repo-by-repo, fixing GitHub
event/emails
      being sent to “dev” lists incorrectly,
    - Repo. topic/description changes/updates being done as encountered
with INFRA.
  - Created the incubator-openwhisk-deploy-kube repo. to host a brand new
    deployment (still experimental) to Kubernetes.
  - Created the incubator-openwhisk-utilities repo. to host cross-project
utilities;
    moved code scanning tool there and working through repos. to reference
the
    tool in Travis.
  - Confluence WIKI
    (
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK/OpenWhisk+Project+Wiki
)
    adds/udaptes pages for:
    - Improved new Committer process / instructions
  - Incubator status site:
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/openwhisk.html
    - updated all sections to be up-to-date as of 2017-05-15.
  - Active “dev” discussions on:
    - DockerContainer implementation with a MesosTask
   - Performance testing (new repo.?)
   - Potential use of PassportJS as a new “package” for OAuth integration
  - New features:
    - Progress on splitting out CLI from main project and making it
“pluggable”
      (i.e., incubator-openwhisk-cli and incubator-openwhisk-client-go)
    - HA enabling of
   - improve monitoring (especially of containers) to elasticsearch.

Date of last release:

  - No release yet

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  - Matt Hamann, new committer 2017-05-27

Signed-off-by:

  [X](openwhisk) Felix Meschberger
     Comments: Happy to see progress on infrastructure consolidation
  [ ](openwhisk) Isabel Drost-Fromm
     Comments:
  [ ](openwhisk) Sergio Fernández
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


--------------------
Pony Mail

Pony Mail is a mail-archiving, archive viewing, and interaction service,
that
can be integrated with many email platforms.

Pony Mail has been incubating since 2016-05-27.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Finding and recognizing new contributors to the project
  2. Explore options to better increase visibility and welcomeness of the
project
  3. Get the next release out

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?



How has the community developed since the last report?

The committer list has not changed. We have received some contributions
from new people, however, and will evaluate and explore further means
of growing the community.

How has the project developed since the last report?

A new release has been discussed, and should be under way shortly.


How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [x] Initial setup
  [x] Working towards first release
  [x] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2016-08-20

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Sebastian Bazley was elected PPMC on 2016-09-10.
No new committers since last report.

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](ponymail) Andrew Bayer
     Comments:
  [X](ponymail) John D. Ament
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:



--------------------
Quickstep

Quickstep is a high-performance database engine.

Quickstep has been incubating since 2016-03-29.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Give talks on the technology.
  2. Work on adoption of the Quickstep technology by getting committers
outside the current group.
  3. Write more blog posts, papers, demos on the technology.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

None.


How has the community developed since the last report?

We have a new committer, Tianrun Li.


How has the project developed since the last report?

We have made a first release.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2017-03-27

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

May 2017

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](quickstep) Konstantin Boudnik
     Comments:
  [x](quickstep) Julian Hyde
     Comments:
       Getting the first release out this quarter was a big milestone
       for the project. Their next challenge is to build a community
       outside of Madison. They are giving papers and talks at
       academic conferences but I have been encouraging them to find
       ways to connect with industry and the open source community.
  [x](quickstep) Roman Shaposhnik
     Comments: what Julian said ;-)

IPMC/Shepherd notes:



--------------------
SAMOA

SAMOA provides a collection of distributed streaming algorithms for the
most common data mining and machine learning tasks such as classification,
clustering, and regression, as well as programming abstractions to develop
new algorithms that run on top of distributed stream processing engines
(DSPEs). It features a pluggable architecture
that allows it to run on several DSPEs such as Apache Flink, Apache Storm,
Apache Apex and Apache Samza.

SAMOA has been incubating since 2014-12-15.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Grow the developer base
  2. Grow the user base
  3. Add some more ML techniques

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?

Mailing list activity (March 2017 - May 2017):
  * @dev: 38 messages

  Jira issues backlog (March 2017 - May 2017):
  * Created:  6
  * Resolved: 1

  - We organized a 2-day internal workshop on SAMOA at Telefonica I+D with
researchers of Orange Labs, Telecom Paris and QCRI. Various have been
discussed to improve SAMOA's ML and other interfaces with systems like
Kafka, etc.

  - We submitted a proposal for funding which will help the development of
new features on Samoa.

  - We have been working on a new release 0.5.0, probably coming up in one
month. This release will have support for Kafka, a more well-rounded
support for Avro and Json formats, as well as support to store predictions
outputted from the model.

  - There was also significant work done to integrate correctly the
instances between MOA and SAMOA, as there was a deviation of how they were
defined and hindered the portability of new methods from MOA to SAMOA.

  - Early discussions to increase the committers / developers team by
inviting new contributors to the panel.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  - We are looking into new ML techniques for development.

  - Worked on the integration of Samoa-MOA instances

  - Engaging interactions with new parties (Orange Labs) and potential
collaborations

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2016-09-30

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  None

Signed-off-by:

  [X](samoa) Alan Gates
     Comments:
  [ ](samoa) Ashutosh Chauhan
     Comments:
  [ ](samoa) Enis Soztutar
     Comments:
  [ ](samoa) Ted Dunning
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

    Drew Farris (shepherd): One mentor active. Light activity on the
project in general.

--------------------
Singa

Singa is a distributed deep learning platform.

Singa has been incubating since 2015-03-17.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Finish the distributed version
  2. Nominate some candidate contributors as committers
  3. Update the documentation and  test all examples

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

N/A


How has the community developed since the last report?

There are 38 commits and 70 dev@ emails since the last report.
We have reached 28 github contributors in total.


How has the project developed since the last report?

1. We added more documentation including Jupyter notebooks and Chinese
translation.
2. Debian package is improved with CPack
3. Memory optimization is added
4. We fixed some bugs and added several new features, e.g. image
augmentation methods, L2 normalization layer and SigmoidCrossEntropy loss.


How would you assess the podling's maturity?

We will start the graduating process after the next release with the above
issues fixed.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

 2017-02-12

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

 2017-02-26

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](singa) Daniel Dai
     Comments:
  [X](singa) Alan Gates
     Comments:
  [ ](singa) Ted Dunning
     Comments:
  [ ](singa) Thejas Nair
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:



--------------------

Slider

Slider is a collection of tools and technologies to package, deploy, and
manage long running applications on Apache Hadoop YARN clusters.

Slider has been incubating since 2014-04-29.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Apache Slider community/PPMC has voted to move portions of Slider into
     Apache Hadoop YARN as modules. It is possible that the remaining pieces
     will be moved at a later point in time or become obsolete or evolve to
     work closely with YARN. Slider PPMC will decide what makes the most
     sense as we progress through this exciting time.

  2. Getting more external users

  3. Growth of a diverse set of developers/committers/PMC members is also
     crucial towards the final state of Slider

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  No.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Mailing list activity has been lower due to the bulk of the development
  moving to an Apache Hadoop branch. Questions on usage and issues
  encountered by end users keep coming at regular intervals, keeping the DL
  fairly active.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  Work continues in parallel on the Apache Hadoop yarn-native-services
  branch and on the Slider podling. The bulk of the work has been in
  yarn-native-services, while a few Slider patches (related to critical
  issues or agent-only issues) have been committed as well.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2017-03-23 slider-0.92.0-incubating

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2015-07-07: Yu (Thomas) Liu

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](slider) Arun C Murthy
     Comments:
  [ ](slider) Devaraj Das
     Comments:
  [ ](slider) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
     Comments:
  [ ](slider) Mahadev Konar
     Comments:
  [X](slider) Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli
     Comments: Joined as a new mentor while the transition of Slider to
Apache Hadoop project as a sub-module continues. Per feedback on general@,
the community shall work on a concrete plan on how the project's journey in
incubator comes to a close.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:



--------------------
Spot

Apache Spot is a solution stack that provides the capability to ingest IT
related telemetry (network flows, domain name service DNS, and proxy server
logs) and provide unsupervised machine learning capabilities to identify
suspicious activity.  The information is organized and presented using
operational analytics so that a security analyst can investigate the most
suspicious connections. Apache Spot is built on an open data model using
Apache Spark and Apache Hadoop.

Spot has been incubating since 2016-09-23.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1.  Move infrastructure and development to ASF (code, issues, mailing
list, ...)
  2.  Build diverse community
  3.  Demonstrate ability to create releases

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?
Two out of the four mentors are the ones showing the most active
participation and involvement on the project so we need to discuss with
IPMC our options to get the other two replaced.

How has the community developed since the last report?
By remaking the Community section on the Project webpage and driving users
on Slack to limit the usage of the same tool just for quick interactions,
the traffic over Mail Lists has increased, we still need to continue
driving usage questions to USER list.
A group of Developers from Brazil is coming with a proposal for UX and UI,
based on the merits of the proposal, and the potential that the same has we
have invited them to become Committers on the projects.
The initial purpose of the Project on Network & Security needs to expand
the scope to IT Analytics to cover other uses cases and/or enrich content
with User and Endpoint data. While a normalization framework has been
drafted to what we call Open Data Model we still need more work and
contributions on technical delivery to make it a reality.
Contributions to improve the concept of Ingestion Pipeline & Data Lake are
delivered with more cadence, there is a recognition from Community to
normalize data to open the space for other sources of Ingestion

How has the project developed since the last report?
The team has created the epic on ASF JIRA towards the first Apache release,
we’re working now including the user stories that will be part of release,
and doing checks to what can be delivered before we do the the formal
announcement on DEV for the code freeze.
Integrations for context enrichment are critical, however also the need of
bringing a plugin manager where does can be handled, the Spec was drafted,
and the team now is finalizing the last Pull requests to begin merging
functionality onto project code.
Documentation is an area of focus so from May to July committers we’ll
continue improving & detailing more, architecture definitions, deployment
options, and UI usage sections. As the whole delivery is concluded we’ll
vote for a FAQ section which can be a point of reference for common
issues/situations.
Being part of ASF is important Community requests that project enables
integration/consumption of other Apache projects, one of our DEVOPS
committers, for that reason having an API framework now will open the door
for more smooth integrations.

Date of last release:
N/A

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?
Last committer was elected on 06/02

How does the podling rate their own maturity?
By know we’re almost ready to do our first Apache Release which is good,
but we still need to mature Community, the ramping of other Contributors
has been slow, we have a strong base of Consumer positive aspect as it
probed consumption, however more Commits from other interested parties will
accelerate functionality delivery.


Signed-off-by:
  [X](spot) Jarek Jarcec Cecho
     Comments:
  [ ](spot) Brock Noland
     Comments:
  [ ](spot) Andrei Savu
     Comments:
  [X](spot) Uma Maheswara Rao G
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:



--------------------
Streams

Apache Streams (incubating) unifies a diverse world of digital profiles and
online activities into common formats and vocabularies, and makes these
datasets accessible across a variety of databases, devices, and platforms
for
streaming, browsing, search, sharing, and analytics use-cases.

Streams has been incubating since 2012-11-20.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

 1. Community growth and PMC maturity.
 2. Demonstrate a consistent release schedule.
 3. Participation of project community within related standards-bodies and
Apache projects.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

The community has completed an internal assessment using the Apache
Maturity Model to identify gaps that should be addressed before graduation.

The community is working against a task list of graduation TODOs:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STREAMS/Graduation+TODOs

It is likely that Streams will pursue graduation to TLP during the coming
quarter.

How has the community developed since the last report?

Dev List
57 emails sent by 12 people, divided into 20 topics

Web Page
820 Sessions (up ~75%), 508 Users (up ~50%), 1507 Pageviews (up ~30%).

Public Slack: apachestreams.slack.com
1202 Messages, 11 Files

Committers Slack: the-asf.slack.com #dev-streams
157 Messages, 3 Files

How has the project developed since the last report?

Source Control
https://github.com/apache/incubator-streams
Excluding merges, 4 authors have pushed 29 commits to master. On master,
165 files have changed and there have been 5,891 additions and 1,647
deletions.

https://github.com/apache/incubator-streams-examples
Excluding merges, 3 authors have pushed 4 commits to master. On master, 10
files have changed and there have been 18 additions and 72 deletions.

JIRA

24 issues closed with 0.5-incubating release
7 issues closed after 0.5-incubating release
18 new issues opened this period

Date of last release:

 2017-03-20 : 0.5-incubating release

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

 2017-04-14: Trevor Grant elected as committer / PPMC member

Signed-off-by:

  [X](streams) Matt Franklin
     Comments: The community is small, but diverse and dedicated.  I look
forward to seeing them move past the incubator and hopefully continuing to
add new contributors.
  [X](streams) Ate Douma
     Comments:
  [X](streams) Suneel Marthi
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:



--------------------
Superset

Superset is business intelligence (BI) software that helps modern
organizations visualize and interact with their data. Superset enables
users explore data from a variety of databases, assemble beautiful
dashboards and share their findings. Superset works neatly with all modern
SQL-speaking databases, and integrates with Druid.io to provide real-time,
interactive, blazing fast data access to large datasets.

Superset has been incubating since 2017-05-02.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
  1. Grow the community and enroll new committers.
  2. Setup our Git repository and transition our codebase there now that
our contributor CLAs and Airbnb SGA is complete
  3. Move the website to apache.org

Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware
of?
The team is working on finishing up all the items on the Incubation
Checklist.  We’re working on finding a way to link Jira Issues to GitHub
Issues as the team has a preference for using GitHub Issues for tracking.

How has the community developed since the last report?
* The mailing lists have been created ([hidden email] &
[hidden email]) and all project communication now
takes place on the mailing list and is open for everyone.
* Organic growth of our Github contributors (140), forks (1981), watchers
(707) and stars (14 331)
* Recent talk were given by Maxime Beauchemin at DataEngConf and PlotCon

How has the project developed since the last report?
* The team has filed an executed SGA from Airbnb allowing the team to move
forward with migrating the code base to a Git repository on ASF
* A JIRA project has been setup for issue tracking
* A healthy, constant flow of bug fixes, quality improvements and new
features, take a look at the project’s Pulse on Github for more details

How does the podling rate their own maturity.
 [X] Initial setup
 [ ] Working towards first release
 [ ] Community building
 [ ] Nearing graduation
 [ ] Other:

Date of last release:
No official release yet since being voted into Apache Incubation.
 (Planning for the first Apache release in Q3, 2017)

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
Project is still functioning with the initial set of committers

Signed-off-by:




IPMC/Shepherd notes:

  Drew Farris (shepherd): Three mentors active on the mailing lists.
Incubation is just getting started. Discussion of SGA, infrastructure setup
and migration of git repo observed.

--------------------
Tamaya

Tamaya is a highly flexible configuration solution based on an modular,
extensible and injectable key/value based design, which should provide a
minimal but extendible modern and functional API leveraging SE, ME and EE
environments.

Tamaya has been incubating since 2014-11-14.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. finally release 0.3 - RC vote already took place
  2. Release next artifacts after core/API 0.3-incubating is out
  3. graduate

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

 We would like to graduate after our new release is out.

How has the community developed since the last report?

 Many discussions and bug reports were filed in order to see how
microprofile.io discussions match the Tamaya roadmap.
 In order to prepare for the new release some people (inactive for quite a
while) were moved to the emeritus section.

How has the project developed since the last report?

 New homepage is live, release candidates for 0.3-incubating are out.
Waiting to continue with extensions and further development on sandbox
modules.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [X] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2016-04-06

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

 P. Ottlinger at 2016-04-24.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](tamaya) John D. Ament
     Comments: It's a small and diverse community.  They have a little bit
to go before graduation, and need to figure out how to get communicating
more on list.
  [ ](tamaya) David Blevins
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:



--------------------
Taverna

Taverna is a domain-independent suite of tools used to design and execute
data-driven workflows.

Taverna has been incubating since 2014-10-20.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Project maturity evaluation
  2. IP/Licence Review
  3. Graduate!


Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?



How has the community developed since the last report?

  New contributor showing interest (some pull requests and Jira issues).
Need to get them engaged also on mailing list.

  Project activity still slow overall - need more day-to-day encouragement
and follow-up? Suggested weekly telcons


How has the project developed since the last report?

  Taverna Mobile Android app (initially a GSOC contribution) has matured
and is ready for its first release.

  Some bugs raised on the Taverna Server, lacking contributors - need more
code insight from original author?


How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [x] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

From the recent graduation/IP review it was agreed to skip some of the
auxiliary git repositories from the graduation process (move to GitHub) -
but this has not yet happened.

Although the community is ready, we are lacking initiative on the
bureaucratic side and need to push ourselves harder.


Date of last release:

  2016-07-01

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?


  2016-10-20 Committer
  2015-12-09 PPMC member

Signed-off-by:

  [x](taverna) Andy Seaborne
     Comments:

Taverna has been quiet for 6 months with low activity on the dev@ list.
More community building would be valuable for the long-term success of
the project.

  [x](taverna) Stian Soiland-Reyes
     Comments:

Project needs to find a daily/weekly rhythm to engage the community more.
This is a general task for the podling PMC, it should not
have to rely on any one particular person.


  [ ](taverna) Daniel J Debrunner
     Comments:
  [ ](taverna) Marlon Pierce
     Comments:
  [ ](taverna) Suresh Marru
     Comments:
  [ ](taverna) Suresh Srinivas
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:



--------------------
Tephra

Tephra is a system for providing globally consistent transactions on top of
Apache HBase and other storage engines.

Tephra has been incubating since 2016-03-07.

Two most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

 1. Improve community engagement
 2. Increase adoption

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

 - None at this time.

How has the community developed since the last report?

 - Andreas Neumann talked about Apache Tephra as part of his talk on
"Transactions in Hadoop" at ApacheCon BigData North America 2017 in Miami,
Florida, USA

 - 2 new subscribers in dev mailing list since the last report
 - 4 new JIRAs filed since the last report
 - 0 external contributors submitted patches since the last report
 - 1 external contributor created a ticket in JIRA since the last report

How has the project developed since the last report?

 - Working on 0.13.0-incubating release
 - Released 0.12.0-incubating


How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2016-05-23

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  None since coming to incubation

Signed-off-by:

  [X](tephra) Alan Gates
     Comments:
  [ ](tephra) Andrew Purtell
     Comments:
  [X](tephra) James Taylor
     Comments:
  [ ](tephra) Lars Hofhansl
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:



--------------------
Toree

Toree provides applications with a mechanism to interactively and remotely
access Apache Spark.

Toree has been incubating since 2015-12-02.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. More discussion and engagement on the dev list
  2. Community growth
  3. Continue to make releases

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

* No issues require attention at this time.

How has the community developed since the last report?

* Toree's 0.1.0-incubating release is a good step forward. The first Apache
release is the most difficult, so clearing that hurdle should make further
releases easier.
* The community has also added a new PPMC member and mentor.

How has the project developed since the last report?

* Apache Toree 0.1.0-incubating release on 2017-02-21
* Apache Toree website updated

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2017-02-21

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

* Ryan Blue was added to the PMC on 2017-04-03

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](toree) Luciano Resende
     Comments:
  [ ](toree) Reynold Xin
     Comments:
  [X](toree) Hitesh Shah
     Comments:
  [ ](toree) Julien Le Dem
     Comments:
  [X](toree) Ryan Blue
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:



--------------------
Trafodion

Apache Trafodion is a webscale SQL-on-Hadoop solution enabling
 transactional or operational workloads on Hadoop. Trafodion builds on the
scalability, elasticity, and flexibility of Hadoop. Trafodion extends
Hadoop to provide guaranteed transactional integrity, enabling new kinds of
big data applications to run on Hadoop.

Trafodion has been incubating since 2015-05-24.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Develop the community and continue to grow the diversity.
  2. Continue the momentum and become more integrated with the
     rest of the Apache community.
  3. Continue to create software releases.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  * None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  * Participation in the project remains healthy:
    - ML subscriptions public lists: 93 user, 100 dev, 26 code rev,
      39 issues, 32 commits
    - ML postings: 81 user (+161%), 349 dev (+27%), 480 coderev (-7%),
      801 issues (-7%), 735 commits (+24%)
    - Twitter: 218 (followers), 72 tweets, 67 likes
  * We released version 2.1
  * Release 2.1 triggered the attention of a Gartner analyst
  * Sandhya Sundaresan stepped down as the Release Manager on 2017-05-08
  * Ming Liu volunteered on on 2017-05-08 to be the Release Manager
    for our next release
  * We are working towards our next release, 2.2.
  * Sean Broeder gave a talk on Trafodion at the HBase meet up in
    San Francisco, hosted by Splice Machine, on 2016-12-08
  * Peng-Xiang Liu gave a talk on BigData architecture and solution
    design with Trafodion at DevEco (www.deveco.io) at the China-
    Singapore Suzhou Industrial Park, Suzhou, China on 2016-12-10
  * Discussion regarding Readiness to Graduate continues. Diversity
continues
    to grow.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * 191 commits from 23 contributors.
  * 117 JIRAs filed and 42 resolved.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [X] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2017-05-01 2.1

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  * New PPMC member(s):
    Arvind Narain (2017-03-08)
    Pierre Smits (2017-03-08)
  * New Committer(s):
    Yi Zhang (Eason) (2017-03-10)



Signed-off-by:

  [ ](trafodion) Devaraj Das
     Comments:
  [ ](trafodion) Enis Söztutar
     Comments:
  [ ](trafodion) Michael Stack
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:




--------------------
Wave

A wave is a hosted, live, concurrent data structure for rich communication.
It
can be used like email, chat, or a document.

Wave has been incubating since 2010-12-04.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Appoint members of the PMC
  2. Update release procedure
  3.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

None

How has the community developed since the last report?

There were no relevant events regarding the community in this period.

How has the project developed since the last report?

A ToDo list of tasks to reach graduation has been set,
and some members are working on it.


How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [X] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  March 2016

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  March 2017

Signed-off-by:

  [x](wave) Upayavira
     Comments:
       Wave continues as a very small scale project. It hovers just under
the threshold of sufficient
       participation for graduation, whilst is too active to argue for
retirement.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

  johndament: Considering your comments, are there additional contributors
who you think may make sense to start to invite?
Loading...