[DISCUSSION] Apache DataFu podling graduation

[DISCUSSION] Apache DataFu podling graduation

Matthew Hayes-3
Hi,

I would like to reopen the discussion regarding Apache DataFu's graduation
from incubator.  In the community vote
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-datafu-dev/201708.mbox/%3CCAA4Vo8CNf0sVw0veP2GdV9VN%3DaP5-Q8kstgY%2B0xM48kNuJMFWw%40mail.gmail.com%3E>
 there was consensus to graduate to TLP status.  Here is my email that
kicked off the previous discussion:

https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201710.mbox/%3CCAA4Vo8DuQH2KkQ82bOm4Aj8GyoHS8HOAuYwCO2MUtiBWgWxtgQ@...%3E

There were several pieces of feedback from that discussion that should all
be addressed as of now.

* Comments about number of committers vs. proposed PMC size (here
<https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201710.mbox/%3Cop.y7jw80af4ntv07@desktop-v42f38k%3E>
and
here
<https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201710.mbox/%3CCAOqetn_tXYM0MgZ_QUJg9xDiWUr2_VG5Msde96fmvBuBQriK-w@...%3E>
)
* Comments about process for removing committers (here
<https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201710.mbox/%3CCAFAMeYLxX5VD-t7Z4MQkKQ6y_M8BEdU975tjsUbAY7B5qVu3Zw@...%3E>
and
here
<https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201710.mbox/%3CCAFAMeY+nwEV7evK12dsjVMXt5o3OFGen9PAnfUhRvQ=4VRe7mA@...%3E>
)
* Comments about the website, sha-512 extension, etc. (here
<https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201710.mbox/%3CCAOGo0VZN4mLw-eS-Oz8W1hVhS70Y_BwwikJjRi9Sx3n0s8sFMg@...%3E>
).  DATAFU-131 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DATAFU-131> was filed
to address these.

To summarize what has happened since the last discussion:

* Each committer was reached out to and asked whether they were willing to
join the PMC and fulfill the responsibilities that come with it.  The
graduation
resolution
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DATAFU/Graduation+Resolution> has
been updated to reflect those who were willing to join the PMC.  The
remainder declined to remain committers.  The proposed PMC size is now 11
out of 14 current committers.
* The Becoming a Committer
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DATAFU/Becoming+a+Committer> page
no longer has a section about removing committers.
* All the issues that were raised and led to DATAFU-131 being filed have
been addressed.  A summary:
    - The Quick Start page has been replaced with a Download page
<http://datafu.incubator.apache.org/docs/download.html>.  The list of
source releases is prominent at the top and there is a section describing
how to validate releases.
    - Links to ASF website, license, thanks, apache feather, etc. were added
    - Links have been updated to reflect recent 1.3.3 release.
    - Old releases have been cleaned up from

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/datafu and
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/datafu.

    - DataFu Whimsy <https://whimsy.apache.org/pods/project/datafu> page is
now mostly passing aside from Image and Events (not clear if these are
expected to pass).

    - SHA-512 checksum file now ends in .sha512

Below is the original discussion email with updated stats and updated
graduation resolution.

Apache DataFu began incubating Jan 5th, 2014.  Since then we have made 4
releases and added 4 committers.  The Apache DataFu website
<http://datafu.incubator.apache.org/> includes documentation such as a
getting started page and guides for various methods.

Project status:
    http://incubator.apache.org/projects/datafu.html

Project website:
    http://datafu.incubator.apache.org/

JIRA:
    https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/DATAFU

Maturity Evaluation:
    https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DATAFU/Maturity+Evaluation

A draft of the board resolution can be found at the bottom of this email.

Proposed PMC size: 11
Current number of committers: 14
Proposed number of committers: 11

PMC affiliation (* indicates chair):

Data Syndrome:
  - Russell Jurney

Hortonworks:
  - Casey Stella

LinkedIn:
  - William Vaughan

Passage AI:
  - Mitul Tiwari

Paypal:
  - Eyal Allweil

SkipFlag:
  - (*) Matthew Hayes
- Sam Shah

Slack:
  - Josh Wills

StreamSets Inc.
  - Jarek Jarcec Cecho

Uber:
  - Evion Kim

Other:
  - Roman Shaposhnik

Here are some project statistics since entering graduation on Jan 5th, 2014:

- 151 commits
- 4 releases
- 21 unique contributors
- 4 committers added
- 136 issues created
- 100 issues closed

Resolution:

open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the

public, consisting of well-tested libraries that help developers

solve common data problems in Hadoop and similar distributed

systems.

Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache DataFu Project",

Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache DataFu Project be and hereby is

responsible for the creation and maintenance of libraries that

 help solve common data problems and work with large-scale data

in Hadoop and similar distributed systems; and be it further RESOLVED,

that the office of Vice President, Apache DataFu" be and hereby

is created, the person holding such office to serve at the direction

of the Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache DataFu Project,

and to have primary responsibility for management of the projects

within the scope of responsibility of the Apache DataFu Project; and be

it further

Apache DataFu Project:

   - Casey Stella cestella at apache dot org
   - Evion Kim evion at apache dot org
   - Eyal Allweil eyal at apache dot org
   - Jarek Jarcec Cecho jarcec at apache dot org
   - Josh Wills jwills at apache dot org
   - Matthew Hayes mhayes at apache dot org
   - Mitul Tiwari mitultiwari at apache dot org
   - Roman Shaposhnik rvs at apache dot org
   - Russell Jurney rjurney at apache dot org
   - Sam Shah samshah at apache dot org
   - William Vaughan wvaughan at apache dot org

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Matthew Hayes

be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache DataFu, to

serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the

death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,

or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the initial Apache DataFu PMC be and hereby is

tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to

encourage open development and increased participation in the

Apache DataFu Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache DataFu Project be and hereby

Incubator DataFu podling; and be it further

Incubator DataFu podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator

Project are hereafter discharged.

Re: [DISCUSSION] Apache DataFu podling graduation

Jakob Homan
+1

On 29 January 2018 at 15:49, Matthew Hayes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
>
> Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until
>
> death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
>
> or until a successor is appointed; and be it further
>

> RESOLVED, that the initial Apache DataFu PMC be and hereby is
>
> tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
>
> encourage open development and increased participation in the
>
> Apache DataFu Project; and be it further
>

> RESOLVED, that the Apache DataFu Project be and hereby
>
> is tasked with the migration and rationalization of the Apache
>
> Incubator DataFu podling; and be it further
>

> RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
>
> Incubator DataFu podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
>
> Project are hereafter discharged.

Re: [DISCUSSION] Apache DataFu podling graduation

Matthew Hayes-2
Given that it has been a few days and I've only seen positive feedback so
far, I have opened a new vote for graduation in the datafu dev
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-datafu-dev/> list.  I
will open a new vote here when this vote passes.

-Matt

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 3:57 PM, Jakob Homan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
> >
> > Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until
> >
> > death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
> >
> > or until a successor is appointed; and be it further
> >

> > RESOLVED, that the initial Apache DataFu PMC be and hereby is
> >
> > tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
> >
> > encourage open development and increased participation in the
> >
> > Apache DataFu Project; and be it further
> >

> > RESOLVED, that the Apache DataFu Project be and hereby
> >
> > is tasked with the migration and rationalization of the Apache
> >
> > Incubator DataFu podling; and be it further
> >

> > RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
> >
> > Incubator DataFu podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
> >
> > Project are hereafter discharged.

Re: [DISCUSSION] Apache DataFu podling graduation

John D. Ament-2
On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 6:23 PM Matthew Hayes <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Given that it has been a few days and I've only seen positive feedback so
> far, I have opened a new vote for graduation in the datafu dev
> <http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-datafu-dev/> list.  I
> will open a new vote here when this vote passes.

Matt,

The typical order of events is:

- Podling discusses graduation.
- Podling drafts a charter (whimsy more or less generates this for you
these days)
- Podling calls for a vote & at the same time podling notifies IPMC about
that vote
- Podling members start a discussion on general@incu about the graduation.
- Calls for a vote (usually, the discussions go 72 hrs - 1 week, depending
on how lively they are)

I see a few disconnects between your status page and whimsy roster.  Can
you double check that everything lines up?  If people are not going to be
included in the new TLP, I would recommend removing them from whimsy; this
will save some work.  Any reason you are losing members when graduating?

The IPMC (specifically, the graduating podlings) have received consistent
feedback from the board regarding ASF members being present on newly formed
TLPs.  I believe you will not have that issue with both Roman & Jarek on
the proposed PMC.

John

> [...]
> > >
> > > serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
> > >
> > > Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until
> > >
> > > death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
> > >
> > > or until a successor is appointed; and be it further
> > >

> > > RESOLVED, that the initial Apache DataFu PMC be and hereby is
> > >
> > > tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
> > >
> > > encourage open development and increased participation in the
> > >
> > > Apache DataFu Project; and be it further
> > >

> > > RESOLVED, that the Apache DataFu Project be and hereby
> > >
> > > is tasked with the migration and rationalization of the Apache
> > >
> > > Incubator DataFu podling; and be it further
> > >

> > > RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
> > >
> > > Incubator DataFu podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
> > >
> > > Project are hereafter discharged.

Re: [DISCUSSION] Apache DataFu podling graduation

Hi John,

Regarding the events you listed:

- Podling discusses graduation.

 Done.  See here
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/datafu-dev/201707.mbox/%3CCAA4Vo8BYw7Qw6uo44f07QTuha9UJr_WgtA0Fsq4qW7pGdUBOuA%40mail.gmail.com%3E>
.

- Podling drafts a charter (whimsy more or less generates this for you
> these days)

The charter is in the graduation resolution right?  DataFu's graduation
resolution is here
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DATAFU/Graduation+Resolution>.

- Podling calls for a vote & at the same time podling notifies IPMC about
> that vote

Vote started yesterday.  See here
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/datafu-dev/201802.mbox/%3CCAA4Vo8BQc%2BrPCPpvo%3DucarwhYkJESwevZOT%2BVBQPG_iNu4OVqQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E>
.

- Podling members start a discussion on general@incu about the graduation.

Done, as this is the current discussion thread about graduation.  I opened
the discussion before voting because DataFu had already voted once before
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/datafu-dev/201707.mbox/%3CCAA4Vo8Bt%3D57kKUY_ba5zQbv_xP2j4hEZ2LsheqotaHiPAghC9w%40mail.gmail.com%3E>
the
most recent vote and there was feedback in the discussion that followed. I
wanted to collect all feedback from the general list before starting
another vote so those issues could be addressed first.  Hopefully this was
okay.

- Calls for a vote (usually, the discussions go 72 hrs - 1 week, depending
> on how lively they are)

Waiting for current vote.

I see a few disconnects between your status page and whimsy roster.  Can
> you double check that everything lines up?  If people are not going to be
> included in the new TLP, I would recommend removing them from whimsy; this
> will save some work.  Any reason you are losing members when graduating?

I've updated the Whimsy roster to match the proposed PMC members in the
graduation proposal.  Most people are continuing on to PMC.  We are only
losing a few, for different reasons.

I see a few disconnects between your status page and whimsy roster.  Can
> you double check that everything lines up?

Can you specify what disconnects you see?  Under Mentors on the roster page
<https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/datafu> I see Jakob is not listed
but he is listed on the status page
<http://incubator.apache.org/projects/datafu.html>.  The Licensing section
on the roster page lists that there have been no software grant and IP
clearance and no releases, which isn't true.  How does the roster get
updated?  Otherwise I'm not sure what disconnects there are.

-Matt