[DISCUSS] Resolution to graduate Apache FreeMarker to TLP

[DISCUSS] Resolution to graduate Apache FreeMarker to TLP

Daniel Dekany-2
The FreeMarker community has discussed and voted positively on
graduating to a TLP. We'd like to initiate this discussion to
establish a consensus within the Incubator, and if appropriate, will
initiate a recommendation vote.

Status page: http://incubator.apache.org/projects/freemarker.html

Community Discussion:
- Project maturity model: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FREEMARKER/Apache+FreeMarker+Project+Maturity+Model
- Graduation discussion: https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/b8777f26a57eb7e2f2189a9b299f453ea2c664227ef36d280962b5a4@<dev.freemarker.apache.org>
- Resolution discussion: https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/9a6e53784b930c2a90dbfb2bc725f3dee6a8611f9606f09185e65fe6@<dev.freemarker.apache.org>

Community Vote:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/e85c72b2a7644005ff44d144e08807362e0461a5f854a1f691a960db@<dev.freemarker.apache.org>

The proposed Resolution of the Apache FreeMarker project:

------

Establish the Apache FreeMarker Project

open-source software, for distribution at no charge to
the public, related to a template engine.

Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache FreeMarker Project",
Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache FreeMarker Project be and hereby is
related to a template engine, and be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache FreeMarker" be
and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
of the Apache FreeMarker Project, and to have primary responsibility
for management of the projects within the scope of
responsibility of the Apache FreeMarker Project; and be it further

Apache FreeMarker Project:

  * Dániel Dékány                   <[hidden email]>
  * David E. Jones                  <[hidden email]>
  * Jacopo Cappellato               <[hidden email]>
  * Jacques Le Roux                 <[hidden email]>
  * Nan Lei                         <[hidden email]>
  * Sergio Fernández                <[hidden email]>
  * Woonsan Ko                      <[hidden email]>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Dániel Dékány
be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache FreeMarker,
to serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache FreeMarker Project be and hereby
Incubator FreeMarker podling; and be it further

Incubator FreeMarker podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
Project are hereafter discharged.

------

 Daniel Dekany

Re: [DISCUSS] Resolution to graduate Apache FreeMarker to TLP

Dave Fisher-5
Hi -

How has the Freemarker podling grown it’s community? I see no one on the proposed PMC who was not either an Initial Committer or a Mentor.

I don’t see anyone new on the roster in whimsy.[1]

[1] https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/freemarker

> [...]
>
> NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Dániel Dékány
> be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache FreeMarker,
> to serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
> Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until
> death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
> or until a successor is appointed; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the Apache FreeMarker Project be and hereby
> is tasked with the migration and rationalization of the Apache
> Incubator FreeMarker podling; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
> Incubator FreeMarker podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
> Project are hereafter discharged.
>
> ------

> Daniel Dekany

Re: [DISCUSS] Resolution to graduate Apache FreeMarker to TLP

Woonsan Ko-2
On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 1:08 PM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi -
>
> How has the Freemarker podling grown it’s community? I see no one on the proposed PMC who was not either an Initial Committer or a Mentor.
>
> I don’t see anyone new on the roster in whimsy.[1]
Comparing with the initial proposal [2] (linked from [1]), I see new
names (including myself) in PPMC: Jacques Le Roux, Woonsan Ko
Nan Lei became a committer afterward as well.

Regards,

Woonsan

[2] https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/FreemarkerProposal

Wednesday, February 7, 2018, 11:15:45 PM, Woonsan Ko wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 1:08 PM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi -
>>
>> How has the Freemarker podling grown it’s community? I see no one on the proposed PMC who was not either an Initial Committer or a Mentor.
>>
>> I don’t see anyone new on the roster in whimsy.[1]
> Comparing with the initial proposal [2] (linked from [1]), I see new
> names (including myself) in PPMC: Jacques Le Roux, Woonsan Ko
> Nan Lei became a committer afterward as well.

Also, as of the Mentors, 3 of them, who weren't part of the project
before entering the Incubator, has decided to stay as PMC members. I
understand if that growth counts differently, but as far as ensuring
that there are people who can make releases and such (which is what
our user base mostly cares about), it's a growth.

Other than that, we got some increase in non-committer activity, even
if that just means bug reports, feature request, and some patches, and
not people who commit themselves to a more involved role.

BTW, it should be clear that FreeMarker is a very old, long
established project. Things to do that are under a certain pain
threshold were certainly already done by now. Also, an old code base
with many backward compatibility constraints is rarely attractive for
unpaid contributors, and there are no paid ones here. (The 3.0 branch
happens to solve this legacy code problem, but it's in early stage.)
So it was quite clear from the beginning that no big growth will
happen here. The more realistic goal was having more people who can,
both legally and technically, accept PR-s and do releases. (And also
having a legal owner that can't be gone over night, of course.) And
that was achieved.

> [...]
>>> to serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
>>> Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until
>>> death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
>>> or until a successor is appointed; and be it further
>>>
>>> RESOLVED, that the Apache FreeMarker Project be and hereby
>>> is tasked with the migration and rationalization of the Apache
>>> Incubator FreeMarker podling; and be it further
>>>
>>> RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
>>> Incubator FreeMarker podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
>>> Project are hereafter discharged.
>>>
>>> ------
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thanks,
>>> Daniel Dekany

 Daniel Dekany

Re: [DISCUSS] Resolution to graduate Apache FreeMarker to TLP

Apologies - I read the status page in lieu of the Proposal. Given that and the composition of the proposed PMC I am +1 with no reservation.

> On Feb 7, 2018, at 2:42 PM, Daniel Dekany <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Wednesday, February 7, 2018, 11:15:45 PM, Woonsan Ko wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 1:08 PM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi -
>>>
>>> How has the Freemarker podling grown it’s community? I see no one on the proposed PMC who was not either an Initial Committer or a Mentor.
>>>
>>> I don’t see anyone new on the roster in whimsy.[1]
>> Comparing with the initial proposal [2] (linked from [1]), I see new
>> names (including myself) in PPMC: Jacques Le Roux, Woonsan Ko
>> Nan Lei became a committer afterward as well.
>
> Also, as of the Mentors, 3 of them, who weren't part of the project
> before entering the Incubator, has decided to stay as PMC members. I
> understand if that growth counts differently, but as far as ensuring
> that there are people who can make releases and such (which is what
> our user base mostly cares about), it's a growth.
>
> Other than that, we got some increase in non-committer activity, even
> if that just means bug reports, feature request, and some patches, and
> not people who commit themselves to a more involved role.
>
> BTW, it should be clear that FreeMarker is a very old, long
> established project. Things to do that are under a certain pain
> threshold were certainly already done by now. Also, an old code base
> with many backward compatibility constraints is rarely attractive for
> unpaid contributors, and there are no paid ones here. (The 3.0 branch
> happens to solve this legacy code problem, but it's in early stage.)
> So it was quite clear from the beginning that no big growth will
> happen here. The more realistic goal was having more people who can,
> both legally and technically, accept PR-s and do releases. (And also
> having a legal owner that can't be gone over night, of course.) And
> that was achieved.
>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Woonsan
>>
>> [2] https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/FreemarkerProposal
>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Dave
>>>
>>> [1] https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/freemarker

> Daniel Dekany

Re: [DISCUSS] Resolution to graduate Apache FreeMarker to TLP

sblackmon
Freemarker is a very useful project with a solid track record of shipping
code.

I’ll look into licenses et. all a bit more before voting +1 but I encourage
the community to proceed.

Steve

On Feb 7, 2018 at 5:07 PM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Since so far there were no objections and request for changes to the
resolution, we are going to start the VOTE thread around next Monday.
If someone intends to vote, please try to do the necessary work
(checking things) now in the DISCUSS phase, rather than then.

Thanks for the feedback we have received so far!

 Daniel Dekany