[DISCUSS] Hudi Incubation Proposal

Vinoth Chandar
Hello everyone,

I would like to start a thread to get feedback around incubating Uber's
Hudi project with ASF.

Hudi is a big-data storage library, that provides atomic upserts and
incremental data streams, directly on top of data stored in Hadoop
compatible file systems & object stores. Hudi leverages a lot of Apache
projects - Spark, Avro, Parquet, Hive - to achieve this. At Uber, Hudi
manages all the data in our big-data platform
<https://eng.uber.com/uber-big-data-platform/>, and enables incremental ETL
pipelines. Over the past year, we have also seen usages/interest outside of
Uber and hence the proposal.

Full proposal is here
https://github.com/uber/hudi/wiki/ASF-Proposal
Happy to move it under incubator's wiki.

Thank you for your time!

Thanks
Vinoth

Re: [DISCUSS] Hudi Incubation Proposal

Bertrand Delacretaz
Hi,

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 10:52 PM Vinoth Chandar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ...Full proposal is here
> https://github.com/uber/hudi/wiki/ASF-Proposal
> Happy to move it under incubator's wiki....

Looks like an exciting project!

To move it to the Incubator wiki, please create an account at
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ and let us know your username.

-Bertrand

Re: [DISCUSS] Hudi Incubation Proposal

Vinoth Chandar
Hi,

Created. Username:vinothchandar

Thanks
Vinoth

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 2:51 PM Vinoth Chandar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Created. Username:vinothchandar

ok, you should have access now.
-Bertrand

Re: [DISCUSS] Hudi Incubation Proposal

Vinoth Chandar
I have created the proposal in the incubator wiki
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/HudiProposal

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 6:04 AM Bertrand Delacretaz <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 2:51 PM Vinoth Chandar <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Created. Username:vinothchandar
>
> ok, you should have access now.
> -Bertrand

Re: [DISCUSS] Hudi Incubation Proposal

Sid Anand
Looks great Vinoth!
-s (Sid)

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 11:42 AM Vinoth Chandar <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I have created the proposal in the incubator wiki
> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/HudiProposal
>

> On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 6:04 AM Bertrand Delacretaz <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 2:51 PM Vinoth Chandar <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > > Created. Username:vinothchandar
> >
> > ok, you should have access now.
> > -Bertrand

Re: [DISCUSS] Hudi Incubation Proposal

Thomas Weise
Very exciting to see this proposal!

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 2:20 PM Sid Anand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Looks great Vinoth!
> -s (Sid)
>
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 11:42 AM Vinoth Chandar <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I have created the proposal in the incubator wiki
> > https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/HudiProposal
> >

> > On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 6:04 AM Bertrand Delacretaz <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:

> > > ok, you should have access now.
> > > -Bertrand

Re: [DISCUSS] Hudi Incubation Proposal

Nice proposal and sounds like an interesting project.

A couple of things I noticed that may need some further thought or discussion:
- Use of slack for communication. [1] Has the project thought about how moving conversations and decision making to a mailing list will affect the community?
- Relatively high bar for committership [1]. While it's up to every (P)PMC to set the bar, having a high bar hinders project growth and limits people who are unable to work full time of the project.
- No mention of non-code contributions at [1], as teh ASF we welcome all forms of contribution.
- Why the low number (6) of initial committers?
- Of the initial committers mentioned it’s not obvious that all have made contributions to the project. You mind listing their GitHub names or listing their previous contribution to the project.
- Under relationships with other Apache Products “there are no direct competing projects with Hudi” is not a concern. The ASF allows directly competing projects.

1. https://uber.github.io/hudi/community.html#becoming-a-committer

Re: [DISCUSS] Hudi Incubation Proposal

Vinoth Chandar
Hi Justin,

Thanks for the questions. I will try to answer them below .

>>- Use of slack for communication. [1] Has the project thought about how
moving conversations and decision making to a mailing list will affect the
community?
Good point. We use Slack for interactive debugging, critical decisions
(approaches, designs, PR) still happens over github issues (which will
remain the same anyway).
I can try running a poll if you are really interested. But moving to
mailing list should be fine.

>>- Relatively high bar for committership [1]
So far we used a tweaked version of the chromium project's guidelines. Open
to advice on this going forward inside ASF

>>No mention of non-code contributions at [1],
Yes, [1] did not recognize that. But we as a project value it definitely,
In fact, the last two committers are the list are included with incubation
precisely for non-code contributions. They helped get Hudi running on cloud
systems.

>>- Why the low number (6) of initial committers?
No specific reason. We have included folks who have contributed
significantly so far to the project, based on the guidelines we set out.
Once we have neutral/standardized governance in place from ASF, might be
easier to absorb more committers.

>>- Of the initial committers mentioned it’s not obvious that all have made
contributions to the project. You mind listing their GitHub names or
listing their previous contribution to the project.
The first four committers would jump out, if you look at the contributions
here <https://github.com/uber/hudi/graphs/contributors>. (vinothchandar,
n3nash, bvaradar, prazanna). prazanna actually has a lot more code
ownership, but github is not showing his commits for some reason. You can
find it in the raw git log. Already covered the last two committers in the
previous answer.

>>- Under relationships with other Apache Products “there are no direct
competing projects with Hudi” is not a concern. The ASF allows directly
competing projects.
Sure. we were just describing positioning of the project in the ecosystem

Thanks
Vinoth

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 2:42 PM Justin Mclean <[hidden email]>

> Nice proposal and sounds like an interesting project.
>
> A couple of things I noticed that may need some further thought or
> discussion:
> - Use of slack for communication. [1] Has the project thought about how
> moving conversations and decision making to a mailing list will affect the
> community?
> - Relatively high bar for committership [1]. While it's up to every (P)PMC
> to set the bar, having a high bar hinders project growth and limits people
> who are unable to work full time of the project.
> - No mention of non-code contributions at [1], as teh ASF we welcome all
> forms of contribution.
> - Why the low number (6) of initial committers?
> - Of the initial committers mentioned it’s not obvious that all have made
> contributions to the project. You mind listing their GitHub names or
> listing their previous contribution to the project.
> - Under relationships with other Apache Products “there are no direct
> competing projects with Hudi” is not a concern. The ASF allows directly
> competing projects.

> 1. https://uber.github.io/hudi/community.html#becoming-a-committer

Re: [DISCUSS] Hudi Incubation Proposal

Luciano Resende
Very nice, looks like you guys might need one more mentor, feel free to
include myself.

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 20:29 Vinoth Chandar <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> the
> > community?
> > - Relatively high bar for committership [1]. While it's up to every
> (P)PMC
> > to set the bar, having a high bar hinders project growth and limits
> people
> > who are unable to work full time of the project.
> > - No mention of non-code contributions at [1], as teh ASF we welcome all
> > forms of contribution.
> > - Why the low number (6) of initial committers?
> > - Of the initial committers mentioned it’s not obvious that all have made
> > contributions to the project. You mind listing their GitHub names or
> > listing their previous contribution to the project.
> > - Under relationships with other Apache Products “there are no direct
> > competing projects with Hudi” is not a concern. The ASF allows directly

Sent from my Mobile device

RE: [DISCUSS] Hudi Incubation Proposal

Mohammad Asif Siddiqui
Looks like an interesting project.

Regards
Asif

wrote:

> [...]
> > affect
> the
> > community?
> > - Relatively high bar for committership [1]. While it's up to every
> (P)PMC
> > to set the bar, having a high bar hinders project growth and limits
> people
> > who are unable to work full time of the project.
> > - No mention of non-code contributions at [1], as teh ASF we welcome
> > all forms of contribution.
> > - Why the low number (6) of initial committers?
> > - Of the initial committers mentioned it’s not obvious that all have
> > made contributions to the project. You mind listing their GitHub
> > names or listing their previous contribution to the project.
> > - Under relationships with other Apache Products “there are no
> > direct competing projects with Hudi” is not a concern. The ASF

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback and comments.

Its been over a week. Whats the typical timeline/due process for starting
the vote?

Thanks
Vinoth

On Tue, Dec 25, 2018 at 8:04 PM Mohammad Asif Siddiqui <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Looks like an interesting project.
>
> Regards
> Asif

Pierre Smits-2
Hi Vinoth,

There is no typical timeline. Each proposal to incubate is unique and each
timeline depends on the interactions of interested parties.

You can use your own judgement to determine whether everything has been
said and to take the next step.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*Apache Trafodion <https://trafodion.apache.org>, Vice President & PMC
Chair*
*Apache OFBiz <https://ofbiz.apache.org>, contributor (without privileges)
since 2008*

On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 2:13 AM Vinoth Chandar <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for the feedback and comments.
>
> Its been over a week. Whats the typical timeline/due process for starting
> the vote?
>
> Thanks
> Vinoth
>

> On Tue, Dec 25, 2018 at 8:04 PM Mohammad Asif Siddiqui <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Looks like an interesting project.
> >
> > Regards
> > Asif

Thanks Pierre!
I think we are ready to move forward with the VOTE, given there are no
additional concerns/comments for the past week or so.

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 11:38 PM Pierre Smits <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Vinoth,
>
> There is no typical timeline. Each proposal to incubate is unique and each
> timeline depends on the interactions of interested parties.
>
> You can use your own judgement to determine whether everything has been
> said and to take the next step.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Pierre Smits
>
> *Apache Trafodion <https://trafodion.apache.org>, Vice President & PMC
> Chair*
> *Apache Directory <https://directory.apache.org>, PMC Member*
> Apache Incubator <https://incubator.apache.org>, committer
> *Apache OFBiz <https://ofbiz.apache.org>, contributor (without privileges)
> since 2008*
> Apache Steve <https://steve.apache.org>, committer
>

> On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 2:13 AM Vinoth Chandar <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Thanks for the feedback and comments.
> >
> > Its been over a week. Whats the typical timeline/due process for starting
> > the vote?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Vinoth
> >

> > On Tue, Dec 25, 2018 at 8:04 PM Mohammad Asif Siddiqui <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Looks like an interesting project.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Asif

You’re welcome.

Looking forward to see the vote thread started and cast my ballot.

Happy new year to you and the team, and

Best regards,

Pierre

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 at 15:41 Vinoth Chandar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Pierre!
> I think we are ready to move forward with the VOTE, given there are no
> additional concerns/comments for the past week or so.
>
> On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 11:38 PM Pierre Smits <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Vinoth,
> >
> > There is no typical timeline. Each proposal to incubate is unique and
> each
> > timeline depends on the interactions of interested parties.
> >
> > You can use your own judgement to determine whether everything has been
> > said and to take the next step.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Pierre Smits
> >
> > *Apache Trafodion <https://trafodion.apache.org>, Vice President & PMC
> > Chair*
> > *Apache Directory <https://directory.apache.org>, PMC Member*
> > Apache Incubator <https://incubator.apache.org>, committer
> > *Apache OFBiz <https://ofbiz.apache.org>, contributor (without
> privileges)
> > since 2008*
> > Apache Steve <https://steve.apache.org>, committer
> >

> > On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 2:13 AM Vinoth Chandar <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Thanks for the feedback and comments.
> > >
> > > Its been over a week. Whats the typical timeline/due process for
> starting
> > > the vote?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Vinoth

There's one issue I think needs to be addressed, if the proposed mentors could follow up on my email sent a few weeks back on private@ that would be appreciated.

Re: [DISCUSS] Hudi Incubation Proposal

Gosling Von
Hi,

I just looked through the proposal for the Hudi and very interested in this project, and also willing to be a Hudi mentor.

Best Regards,
Von Gosling

> 在 2019年1月4日,上午6:10,Justin Mclean <[hidden email]> 写道:
>
> Hi,
>
> There's one issue I think needs to be addressed, if the proposed mentors could follow up on my email sent a few weeks back on private@ that would be appreciated.

Re: [DISCUSS] Hudi Incubation Proposal

Julien Le Dem-5
Hello all,
I’m currently listed as the champion for this proposal but I just had a new
baby and I’m currently on paternity leave. I don’t think I’ll have the
bandwidth to properly champion the project. Apologies to Vinoth who was
counting on me. Hudi is an awesome project with a bright future ahead. I
would have been honored to champion it but I think it’s best for the
project to have a more available champion. I would strongly encourage
anyone in the position to do so to step up as a champion.
I’ll of course be available to answer questions if you need me.
Best of luck for an interesting project.
Julien

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 13:52 Vinoth Chandar <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I would like to start a thread to get feedback around incubating Uber's
> Hudi project with ASF.
>
> Hudi is a big-data storage library, that provides atomic upserts and
> incremental data streams, directly on top of data stored in Hadoop
> compatible file systems & object stores. Hudi leverages a lot of Apache
> projects - Spark, Avro, Parquet, Hive - to achieve this. At Uber, Hudi
> manages all the data in our big-data platform
> <https://eng.uber.com/uber-big-data-platform/>, and enables incremental
> ETL
> pipelines. Over the past year, we have also seen usages/interest outside of
> Uber and hence the proposal.
>
> Full proposal is here
> https://github.com/uber/hudi/wiki/ASF-Proposal
> Happy to move it under incubator's wiki.
>
> Thank you for your time!
>
> Thanks
> Vinoth

Re: [DISCUSS] Hudi Incubation Proposal

> I’m currently listed as the champion for this proposal but I just had a new
> baby and I’m currently on paternity leave. I don’t think I’ll have the
> bandwidth to properly champion the project.

Thanks for the work up to this point in getting the proposal to the ASF and thanks for recognising that you may not have the bandwidth be to able to be an effective champion or mentor on another project. As volunteers it’s often easy to often over-commit on what we can realistically do with our desire to help. This of course doesn't mean you can’t help out the project when you do have the time.

Re: [DISCUSS] Hudi Incubation Proposal

Julien Le Dem-5
Sorry I misspoke, I won’t have time to be a *mentor* but the champion role
is what I’ve done so far and leads to the vote. so in the interest of not
blocking the submission, I would suggest that I stay as champion and be
removed as mentor while we add the volunteers who chimed in on this thread.

https://incubator.apache.org/policy/roles_and_responsibilities.html#champion
Champion

A candidate project shall be sponsored by an Officer
<http://www.apache.org/foundation/index.html> orMember
<http://www.apache.org/foundation/members.html> of the Foundation. The
Champion assists the candidate on their initial submission to a Sponsor.
While private conversations are not generally encouraged within the Apache
community, the Champion’s relationship with the Candidate should allow for
this in order to educate the Candidate about the Apache Way and prepare the
project for the questions and issues likely to be raised by the community.

Before incubation begins, the Champion is expected to: * help with any
process/ASF related hurdles before the Candidate enters incubation * help
find the right people in the ASF to speak with * help to find Mentors *
drive the process of entering the Incubator, leading to a vote to accept
the proposed podling