[DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Mynewt from podling to TLP

[DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Mynewt from podling to TLP

aditi hilbert
Hi,

The Apache Mynewt podling just passed the vote within its community to graduate it to a Top Level Project.
An informational note was sent out earlier about the vote going on and it was pointed out that the status page
needed to be updated. We have done that.
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/mynewt.html <http://incubator.apache.org/projects/mynewt.html>

I’d like to share the full text of the proposed resolution and open it up to discussion for at least 72 hours
before putting it to a formal vote.

----------------
The incubating Apache Mynewt community believes it is time to graduate to TLP.

Apache Mynewt entered incubation in October of 2015.  Since then, we've overcome technical challenges and built Apache's first Operating System for IoT devices, and made 6 releases.  Our most recent releases include NimBLE, OIC1.1 support, MCUbootloader. We are a very helpful and engaged community, ready to answer all questions and feedback directed to us via the user list.  We've added several committers from different organizations, and are actively pursuing others. While we continue working on maturity, all projects are ongoing processes, and we believe we no longer need the incubator to continue.

To inform the discussion, here is some basic project information:

Project status:
 http://incubator.apache.org/projects/mynewt.html <http://incubator.apache.org/projects/mynewt.html>

Project website:
 http://mynewt.incubator.apache.org/ <http://mynewt.incubator.apache.org/>

Project documentation:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYNEWT/Apache+Mynewt+Project <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYNEWT/Apache+Mynewt+Project>

Maturity assessment:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYNEWT/Maturity+model <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYNEWT/Maturity+model>

DRAFT of the board resolution is at the bottom of this email

Proposed PMC size: 20 members

Total number of committers: 20 members

Various PMC/Committer affiliations (* indicated chair)
  Runtime (6)
  Google (1)
  Imagination Technologies (1)
  Codecoup (4)
  Adafruit (1)

4,565 commits on develop
280 closed PR”s on GitHub
39 contributors across all branches
92 forks on Github

dev list averaged ~200 msgs/month in the last one year

647 issues created
465 issues resolved/closed

--------------
Resolution:

Establish the Apache Mynewt Project

open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the
public, related to a data management platform that provides
real-time, consistent access to data-intensive applications
throughout widely distributed cloud architectures.

Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Mynewt Project",
Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Mynewt Project be and hereby is
related to an embedded OS optimized for networking and built for remote management of constrained devices that are incapable of running either Linux or Android.

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Mynewt" be
and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
of the Apache Mynewt Project, and to have primary responsibility
for management of the projects within the scope of
responsibility of the Apache Mynewt Project; and be it further

Apache Mynewt Project:
*Justin Mclean” <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
*P. Taylor Goetz” <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
*Greg Stein <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
*Jim Jagielski <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
*Sterling Hughes <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
*Marko Kiiskila <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
*will sanfilippo <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
Christopher Collins <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
Vipul Rahane <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
Fabio Utzig <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
Andrzej Kaczmarek <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
Michał Narajowski <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
Szymon Janc <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
Łukasz Rymanowski <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
Neel Natu <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
Peter Snyder <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
Paul Dietrich <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>,
Julian Ingram <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
Kevin Townsend <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
Aditi Hilbert <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Justin Mcclean
be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Mynewt, to
serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Mynewt PMC be and hereby is
tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
encourage open development and increased participation in the
Apache Mynewt Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Mynewt Project be and hereby
Incubator Mynewt podling; and be it further

Incubator Mynewt podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
Project are hereafter discharged.

thanks,
aditi

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Mynewt from podling to TLP

sebb-2-2
On 31 May 2017 at 16:09, aditi hilbert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>   Codecoup (4)
>   Adafruit (1)
>
> 4,565 commits on develop
> 280 closed PR”s on GitHub
> 39 contributors across all branches
> 92 forks on Github
>
> dev list averaged ~200 msgs/month in the last one year
>
> 647 issues created
> 465 issues resolved/closed
>
> --------------
> Resolution:
>
> Establish the Apache Mynewt Project

> interests of the Foundation and consistent with the
> Foundation's purpose to establish a Project Management
> Committee charged with the creation and maintenance of
> open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the
> public, related to a data management platform that provides
> real-time, consistent access to data-intensive applications
> throughout widely distributed cloud architectures.

The project description does not look right.

Also I think there are some issues with the downloads.

There are some releases on the ASF mirror system, however there do not
appear to be any links to the current release (or indeed to archives).
The ASF releases *source*  (see previous paragraph) which must be
published via the ASF mirror system.

Also obsolete downloads are not being tidied up.

> NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management
> Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Mynewt Project",
> be and hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of the
> Foundation; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the Apache Mynewt Project be and hereby is
> responsible for the creation and maintenance of software
> related to an embedded OS optimized for networking and built for remote management of constrained devices that are incapable of running either Linux or Android.

Disagrees with the first paragraph

> RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Mynewt" be
> and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
> serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
> of the Apache Mynewt Project, and to have primary responsibility
> for management of the projects within the scope of
> responsibility of the Apache Mynewt Project; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and
> hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of the
> Apache Mynewt Project:
> *Justin Mclean” <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
> *P. Taylor Goetz” <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
> *Greg Stein <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
> *Jim Jagielski <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
> *Sterling Hughes <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
> *Marko Kiiskila <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
> *will sanfilippo <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
> Christopher Collins <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
> Vipul Rahane <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
> Fabio Utzig <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
> Andrzej Kaczmarek <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
> Michał Narajowski <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
> Szymon Janc <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
> Łukasz Rymanowski <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
> Neel Natu <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
> Peter Snyder <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
> Paul Dietrich <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>,
> Julian Ingram <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
> Kevin Townsend <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
> Aditi Hilbert <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>

Resolutions don't usually contain mailto: links

> NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Justin Mcclean
> be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Mynewt, to
> serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
> Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until
> death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
> or until a successor is appointed; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Mynewt PMC be and hereby is
> tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
> encourage open development and increased participation in the
> Apache Mynewt Project; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the Apache Mynewt Project be and hereby
> is tasked with the migration and rationalization of the Apache
> Incubator Mynewt podling; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
> Incubator Mynewt podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
> Project are hereafter discharged.
>
> thanks,
> aditi

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Mynewt from podling to TLP

aditi hilbert
Sebb,

Thanks for catching the errors! Not sure what happened exactly but parts of the text reverted back to another resolution we were using as a base template. We have fixed the project description: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYNEWT/Resolution <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYNEWT/Resolution>

(no mailto: links either and we’ll make sure the mailer doesn’t insert them in.)

I’ll be using the text from that page when we call the vote.

The release source download links have been added too: https://mynewt.apache.org/download/ <https://mynewt.apache.org/download/>

thanks,
aditi

On 2 June 2017 at 17:10, aditi hilbert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sebb,
>
> Thanks for catching the errors! Not sure what happened exactly but parts of the text reverted back to another resolution we were using as a base template. We have fixed the project description: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYNEWT/Resolution <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYNEWT/Resolution>
>
> (no mailto: links either and we’ll make sure the mailer doesn’t insert them in.)
>
> I’ll be using the text from that page when we call the vote.
>
> The release source download links have been added too: https://mynewt.apache.org/download/ <https://mynewt.apache.org/download/>

Thanks.

Please also remove the non-current releases.

> [...]

aditi hilbert

> On Jun 3, 2017, at 1:37 AM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 2 June 2017 at 17:10, aditi hilbert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Sebb,
>>
>> Thanks for catching the errors! Not sure what happened exactly but parts of the text reverted back to another resolution we were using as a base template. We have fixed the project description: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYNEWT/Resolution <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYNEWT/Resolution>
>>
>> (no mailto: links either and we’ll make sure the mailer doesn’t insert them in.)
>>
>> I’ll be using the text from that page when we call the vote.
>>
>> The release source download links have been added too: https://mynewt.apache.org/download/ <https://mynewt.apache.org/download/>
>
> Thanks.
>
> Please also remove the non-current releases.

The links to the source? or all reference altogether? Some orgs are still working with 0.9 version, for example.
thanks!

>> thanks,
>> aditi

>>> The project description does not look right.
>>>
>>> Also I think there are some issues with the downloads.
>>>
>>> There are some releases on the ASF mirror system, however there do not
>>> appear to be any links to the current release (or indeed to archives).
>>> The ASF releases *source*  (see previous paragraph) which must be
>>> published via the ASF mirror system.
>>>
>>> Also obsolete downloads are not being tidied up.

>>> Disagrees with the first paragraph

>>> Resolutions don't usually contain mailto: links

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Mynewt from podling to TLP

Greg Stein-4
On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 2:37 PM, aditi hilbert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Jun 3, 2017, at 1:37 AM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Please also remove the non-current releases.
>
> The links to the source? or all reference altogether? Some orgs are still
> working with 0.9 version, for example.

The tarballs in dist.apache.org. You can still link to old versions from
your project pages (they'll always be at
https://archive.apache.org/dist/incubator/mynewt/ ). Something like "<a
href=...>Prior release (0.9; archived)</a>"

Current release via the mirror network, and old releases on archive.a.o

Cheers,
-g

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Mynewt from podling to TLP

aditi hilbert

> On Jun 3, 2017, at 7:24 AM, Greg Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 2:37 PM, aditi hilbert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> On Jun 3, 2017, at 1:37 AM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Please also remove the non-current releases.
>>
>> The links to the source? or all reference altogether? Some orgs are still
>> working with 0.9 version, for example.
>>

> The tarballs in dist.apache.org. You can still link to old versions from
> your project pages (they'll always be at
> https://archive.apache.org/dist/incubator/mynewt/ ). Something like "<a
> href=...>Prior release (0.9; archived)</a>"
>
> Current release via the mirror network, and old releases on archive.a.o

The tarballs for pre 1.0 releases have been removed from dist.apache.org <http://dist.apache.org/>.
The documentation now points to the archives for prior releases.

thanks!
aditi