Clarifying on how to add initial PPMC members

Clarifying on how to add initial PPMC members

I was just just trying to set PLC4X podling PPMC membership [3]  but I can’t seem to edit the roster. This says [1] the $podlings.xml file is no longer used and the whimsey tool should be used instead [2]. I can edit other podling memberships but not PLC4X.

I’m probably just being impatient, but how does someone get edit permission to add mentors in the first place? Does it need to be requested or is it part of the podling parent setup? [4] Also what exactly does this parent setup do?

My understanding from the discussion here [5] was that any IPMC member could add mentors to a podling. Has this changed?

1. https://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html#maintaining_podling_roster
2. http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#SVNWhimsy
3, https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/plc4x
4. https://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#resources
5. https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/a6ce7e3a366490f04f5c66e9434aa2b7da9a763f040262f1b12407af@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

Re: Clarifying on how to add initial PPMC members

Were LDAP and DNS entries created yet?

On Dec 18, 2017 12:11 AM, "Justin Mclean" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was just just trying to set PLC4X podling PPMC membership [3]  but I
> can’t seem to edit the roster. This says [1] the $podlings.xml file is no
> longer used and the whimsey tool should be used instead [2]. I can edit
> other podling memberships but not PLC4X.
>
> I’m probably just being impatient, but how does someone get edit
> permission to add mentors in the first place? Does it need to be requested
> or is it part of the podling parent setup? [4] Also what exactly does this
> parent setup do?
>
> My understanding from the discussion here [5] was that any IPMC member
> could add mentors to a podling. Has this changed?

> 1. https://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html#maintaining_
> podling_roster
> 2. http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#SVNWhimsy
> 3, https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/plc4x
> 4. https://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#resources
> 5. https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/a6ce7e3a366490f04f5c66e9434aa2
> b7da9a763f040262f1b12407af@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

Re: Clarifying on how to add initial PPMC members

Justin Mclean-3
Hi,

> Were LDAP and DNS entries created yet?

Probably not [1][2]  (hey I’m impatient) but it’s a little unclear to me what needs to be done to sort this or why it couldn’t  be automated. Creating a new podling should be as pushing a button IMO.

1. https://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#resources
2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-15682

Re: Clarifying on how to add initial PPMC members

John D. Ament-2
Heyyy look at that, it's magic (check your email).  You should be all set.

But I should replace "requested" with "completed" to make sure people know
that it has to be done first.  And as far as I know, it is a button,
however only infra and secretary can push that button.

John

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 6:33 AM Justin Mclean <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Were LDAP and DNS entries created yet?
>
> Probably not [1][2]  (hey I’m impatient) but it’s a little unclear to me
> what needs to be done to sort this or why it couldn’t  be automated.
> Creating a new podling should be as pushing a button IMO.

> 1. https://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#resources
> 2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-15682

Re: Clarifying on how to add initial PPMC members

Sam Ruby
On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 6:43 AM, John D. Ament <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Heyyy look at that, it's magic (check your email).  You should be all set.
>
> But I should replace "requested" with "completed" to make sure people know
> that it has to be done first.  And as far as I know, it is a button,
> however only infra and secretary can push that button.

Correct.  The authority required to execute that request is the same
authority required to delete (or modify) any PMC or podling.

> John

- Sam Ruby

> On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 6:33 AM Justin Mclean <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> > Were LDAP and DNS entries created yet?
>>
>> Probably not [1][2]  (hey I’m impatient) but it’s a little unclear to me
>> what needs to be done to sort this or why it couldn’t  be automated.
>> Creating a new podling should be as pushing a button IMO.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Justin
>>
>> 1. https://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#resources
>> 2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-15682

Re: Clarifying on how to add initial PPMC members

And something is still not right here. When trying to add the new PPMC members all buttons are disabled and can’t be clicked. I think what is going on is that it’s enforcing the 72 hour waiting period and assuming that any PPMC member you add was voted in and not on the initial list.

Re: Clarifying on how to add initial PPMC members

Dave Fisher-5
Hi Justin,

IIRC you have to add the PPMC members to the Incubator committers group first, but then I know that Whimsy has had changes since I setup Pulsar PPMC 6 months ago.

> On Dec 19, 2017, at 2:44 PM, Justin Mclean <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> And something is still not right here. When trying to add the new PPMC members all buttons are disabled and can’t be clicked. I think what is going on is that it’s enforcing the 72 hour waiting period and assuming that any PPMC member you add was voted in and not on the initial list.

Re: Clarifying on how to add initial PPMC members

> IIRC you have to add the PPMC members to the Incubator committers group first

Thanks for the suggestion but they are already listed as incubator committers. (e.g. kherings)

Re: Clarifying on how to add initial PPMC members

Did you click the box indicating the notice period expired?

On Dec 19, 2017 5:53 PM, "Justin Mclean" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > IIRC you have to add the PPMC members to the Incubator committers group
> first
>
> Thanks for the suggestion but they are already listed as incubator
> committers. (e.g. kherings)

Re: Clarifying on how to add initial PPMC members

Justin Mclean-3
Hi,

> Did you click the box indicating the notice period expired?

Yes I did and the button are still disabled. I tried in two seperate browser to make sure it wasn’t a browser issue as well.

I can add other ASF people as committers but that’s not what I want to do.

Re: Clarifying on how to add initial PPMC members

John D. Ament-2
Can you please share the username of one of the users that you're having
problems with?

John

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 7:09 PM Justin Mclean <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Did you click the box indicating the notice period expired?
>
> Yes I did and the button are still disabled. I tried in two seperate
> browser to make sure it wasn’t a browser issue as well.
>
> I can add other ASF people as committers but that’s not what I want to do.

Re: Clarifying on how to add initial PPMC members

Justin Mclean-3
Hi,

> Can you please share the username of one of the users that you're having
> problems with?

Try either Kai Herings (kherings) or Mark Keinhörster (keinmark).

Lukas Friedrichsen and Frank Stibane ICLAs has been accepted but don’t have apache id’s as yet but they would be next.

Re: Clarifying on how to add initial PPMC members

And now it's working!

Re: Clarifying on how to add initial PPMC members

John D. Ament-2
Weird,  the only odd thing now is it looks like both of us added him.
There were no code changes, so no idea.

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 7:53 PM Justin Mclean <[hidden email]>