Call for a new mentor for Apache Slider

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Call for a new mentor for Apache Slider

Gour Saha
Apache Slider is at a transition phase from being an independent incubator project into Apache Hadoop as a module. The Apache Slider and Apache Hadoop team has been working together on this for the past 1 year or so. During this transition the Apache Slider incubating code will continue to be supported, of course with fewer releases mainly with bug fixes and no major features.

At this interesting phase in Apache Slider's lifecycle, we are occasionally missing mentor sign-offs on our reports. So we are looking for an additional mentor who can assist the Slider community and the project through the remainder of this transition into Apache Hadoop.

Kindly let us know if you are interested in this role.

-Gour
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Call for a new mentor for Apache Slider

John D. Ament-2
Hi Gour,

If you're working as a submodule, wouldn't it make more sense to simply
graduate into Hadoop as a subproject?  The process is much less painful.

John

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 2:14 PM Gour Saha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apache Slider is at a transition phase from being an independent incubator
> project into Apache Hadoop as a module. The Apache Slider and Apache Hadoop
> team has been working together on this for the past 1 year or so. During
> this transition the Apache Slider incubating code will continue to be
> supported, of course with fewer releases mainly with bug fixes and no major
> features.
>
> At this interesting phase in Apache Slider's lifecycle, we are
> occasionally missing mentor sign-offs on our reports. So we are looking for
> an additional mentor who can assist the Slider community and the project
> through the remainder of this transition into Apache Hadoop.
>
> Kindly let us know if you are interested in this role.
>
> -Gour
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Call for a new mentor for Apache Slider

Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli-2
In reply to this post by Gour Saha
I am from Hadoop PMC and am involved a bit in these transition.

If the idea is to continue doing bug-fix releases on Apache Slider incubator, you can count me in.

Thanks
+Vinod

> On May 24, 2017, at 11:14 AM, Gour Saha <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Apache Slider is at a transition phase from being an independent incubator project into Apache Hadoop as a module. The Apache Slider and Apache Hadoop team has been working together on this for the past 1 year or so. During this transition the Apache Slider incubating code will continue to be supported, of course with fewer releases mainly with bug fixes and no major features.
>
> At this interesting phase in Apache Slider's lifecycle, we are occasionally missing mentor sign-offs on our reports. So we are looking for an additional mentor who can assist the Slider community and the project through the remainder of this transition into Apache Hadoop.
>
> Kindly let us know if you are interested in this role.
>
> -Gour


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Call for a new mentor for Apache Slider

Henry Saputra
Any discussion links about why Slider needs to be merged as Hadoop module?

The project seemed to be independent enough to be TLP.

- Henry

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 11:23 AM Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I am from Hadoop PMC and am involved a bit in these transition.
>
> If the idea is to continue doing bug-fix releases on Apache Slider
> incubator, you can count me in.
>
> Thanks
> +Vinod
>
> > On May 24, 2017, at 11:14 AM, Gour Saha <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Apache Slider is at a transition phase from being an independent
> incubator project into Apache Hadoop as a module. The Apache Slider and
> Apache Hadoop team has been working together on this for the past 1 year or
> so. During this transition the Apache Slider incubating code will continue
> to be supported, of course with fewer releases mainly with bug fixes and no
> major features.
> >
> > At this interesting phase in Apache Slider's lifecycle, we are
> occasionally missing mentor sign-offs on our reports. So we are looking for
> an additional mentor who can assist the Slider community and the project
> through the remainder of this transition into Apache Hadoop.
> >
> > Kindly let us know if you are interested in this role.
> >
> > -Gour
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Call for a new mentor for Apache Slider

P. Taylor Goetz
In reply to this post by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli-2
Vinod,

You are already a mentor [1].

It sounds like Gour is just looking for mentors to engage and sign off on reports. The technical aspects seem secondary to that request.

-Taylor

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/projects/slider.html


> On May 24, 2017, at 2:23 PM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am from Hadoop PMC and am involved a bit in these transition.
>
> If the idea is to continue doing bug-fix releases on Apache Slider incubator, you can count me in.
>
> Thanks
> +Vinod
>
>> On May 24, 2017, at 11:14 AM, Gour Saha <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Apache Slider is at a transition phase from being an independent incubator project into Apache Hadoop as a module. The Apache Slider and Apache Hadoop team has been working together on this for the past 1 year or so. During this transition the Apache Slider incubating code will continue to be supported, of course with fewer releases mainly with bug fixes and no major features.
>>
>> At this interesting phase in Apache Slider's lifecycle, we are occasionally missing mentor sign-offs on our reports. So we are looking for an additional mentor who can assist the Slider community and the project through the remainder of this transition into Apache Hadoop.
>>
>> Kindly let us know if you are interested in this role.
>>
>> -Gour
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Call for a new mentor for Apache Slider

Gour Saha
In reply to this post by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli-2
Thanks Vinod. I am going to officially add you as a mentor in the
http://incubator.apache.org/podlings.xml page.

-Gour

On 5/24/17, 11:23 AM, "Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I am from Hadoop PMC and am involved a bit in these transition.
>
>If the idea is to continue doing bug-fix releases on Apache Slider
>incubator, you can count me in.
>
>Thanks
>+Vinod
>
>> On May 24, 2017, at 11:14 AM, Gour Saha <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Apache Slider is at a transition phase from being an independent
>>incubator project into Apache Hadoop as a module. The Apache Slider and
>>Apache Hadoop team has been working together on this for the past 1 year
>>or so. During this transition the Apache Slider incubating code will
>>continue to be supported, of course with fewer releases mainly with bug
>>fixes and no major features.
>>
>> At this interesting phase in Apache Slider's lifecycle, we are
>>occasionally missing mentor sign-offs on our reports. So we are looking
>>for an additional mentor who can assist the Slider community and the
>>project through the remainder of this transition into Apache Hadoop.
>>
>> Kindly let us know if you are interested in this role.
>>
>> -Gour
>
>
>---------------------------------------------------------------------
>To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Call for a new mentor for Apache Slider

John D. Ament
It seems like there's a lot of confusion about who's doing what in Slider.
I'm really hoping the following comments can be addressed, since it looks
like they've been lost in the shuffle (the last is a new one from me):

- What does it mean for Slider to be a module of Hadoop?  Are there any
public discussions about how this has happened or will happen?

- If you are in fact becoming a module of Hadoop, is there a time frame for
that?  Slider has been in the incubator for 3 years now.  It seems like
Slider is semi-active, but not frequent to release.

- Vinod as a mentor seems a bit confusing.  He's listed already as per
Taylor, so will he by being added to podlings.xml be signing off on
reports?  Are there any discussions you can cite where mentors are saying
they are not available and have you asked them to step down?

John

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 12:05 AM Gour Saha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Vinod. I am going to officially add you as a mentor in the
> http://incubator.apache.org/podlings.xml page.
>
> -Gour
>
> On 5/24/17, 11:23 AM, "Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> >I am from Hadoop PMC and am involved a bit in these transition.
> >
> >If the idea is to continue doing bug-fix releases on Apache Slider
> >incubator, you can count me in.
> >
> >Thanks
> >+Vinod
> >
> >> On May 24, 2017, at 11:14 AM, Gour Saha <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Apache Slider is at a transition phase from being an independent
> >>incubator project into Apache Hadoop as a module. The Apache Slider and
> >>Apache Hadoop team has been working together on this for the past 1 year
> >>or so. During this transition the Apache Slider incubating code will
> >>continue to be supported, of course with fewer releases mainly with bug
> >>fixes and no major features.
> >>
> >> At this interesting phase in Apache Slider's lifecycle, we are
> >>occasionally missing mentor sign-offs on our reports. So we are looking
> >>for an additional mentor who can assist the Slider community and the
> >>project through the remainder of this transition into Apache Hadoop.
> >>
> >> Kindly let us know if you are interested in this role.
> >>
> >> -Gour
> >
> >
> >---------------------------------------------------------------------
> >To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> >For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
> >
> >
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Call for a new mentor for Apache Slider

Billie Rinaldi
In reply to this post by Gour Saha
On 2017-05-25 03:49, John D. Ament <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It seems like there's a lot of confusion about who's doing what in Slider.
> I'm really hoping the following comments can be addressed, since it looks
> like they've been lost in the shuffle (the last is a new one from me):
>
> - What does it mean for Slider to be a module of Hadoop?  Are there any
> public discussions about how this has happened or will happen?

There was a cross-posted discussion on Slider and YARN dev lists [1] and an
earlier discussion on the Slider dev list [2]. There was also an
announcement in our August 2016 board report [3], as well as updates
provided in our subsequent board reports.

> - If you are in fact becoming a module of Hadoop, is there a time frame
for
> that?  Slider has been in the incubator for 3 years now.  It seems like
> Slider is semi-active, but not frequent to release.

Based on our earlier discussions, we would like Slider users to have a
viable alternative before the existing Slider codebase is retired. The work
is ongoing in the yarn-native-services feature branch of Hadoop to convert
slider-core to a submodule of Hadoop and implement the main functions of
the slider-agent in the YARN NodeManager or in slider-core. I do not have a
time estimate for when we might be ready to call a vote to merge the
feature branch into hadoop trunk. I can point out that a lot of subtasks of
YARN-5079 have been completed, and I hope this work will not take too many
more months.

> - Vinod as a mentor seems a bit confusing.  He's listed already as per
> Taylor, so will he by being added to podlings.xml be signing off on
> reports?  Are there any discussions you can cite where mentors are saying
> they are not available and have you asked them to step down?

Vinod was not actually a mentor for Slider. He was the champion of the
incubator proposal for Slider, so I think he inadvertently got listed as a
mentor on some of the Slider pages, but (correctly) he was not in the
podlings.xml file.

When we email mentors directly asking them to sign off on a report,
sometimes we get no response (as evidenced in the occasional lack of sign
offs on Slider reports). No one has said they are not available. If we need
to ask some of the existing mentors to step down to be able to add new
mentors, we could do that.

[1]: https://s.apache.org/TBfV
[2]: https://s.apache.org/fCVa
[3]: https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/August2016
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Call for a new mentor for Apache Slider

John D. Ament-2
Billie,

Thanks for the response, it helps give some more context.  I also like
Josh's email.  It probably better describes my point of view.  I also
selfishly don't want the incubator to be stuck with many podlings that we
already know what's going to happen with.



On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 11:50 AM Billie Rinaldi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2017-05-25 03:49, John D. Ament <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It seems like there's a lot of confusion about who's doing what in
> Slider.
> > I'm really hoping the following comments can be addressed, since it looks
> > like they've been lost in the shuffle (the last is a new one from me):
> >
> > - What does it mean for Slider to be a module of Hadoop?  Are there any
> > public discussions about how this has happened or will happen?
>
> There was a cross-posted discussion on Slider and YARN dev lists [1] and an
> earlier discussion on the Slider dev list [2]. There was also an
> announcement in our August 2016 board report [3], as well as updates
> provided in our subsequent board reports.
>
>
Ok, thanks.  As a note, it seems like these should have been flagged but
weren't.  We need to do a bit better to do deep analysis of the reports
coming in.


> > - If you are in fact becoming a module of Hadoop, is there a time frame
> for
> > that?  Slider has been in the incubator for 3 years now.  It seems like
> > Slider is semi-active, but not frequent to release.
>
> Based on our earlier discussions, we would like Slider users to have a
> viable alternative before the existing Slider codebase is retired. The work
> is ongoing in the yarn-native-services feature branch of Hadoop to convert
> slider-core to a submodule of Hadoop and implement the main functions of
> the slider-agent in the YARN NodeManager or in slider-core. I do not have a
> time estimate for when we might be ready to call a vote to merge the
> feature branch into hadoop trunk. I can point out that a lot of subtasks of
> YARN-5079 have been completed, and I hope this work will not take too many
> more months.
>
>
This I think is where Josh's sentiments come in.  I think at this point,
the most complete solution is to have Slider transition into Hadoop,
however the Hadoop PMC chooses to manage the project. I believe some of you
are already on the PMC so it may be OK.

I want to make something very clear.  I am not saying we don't want Slider
in the incubator.  I am saying that I think Slider would grow more if it
were outside the incubator and perhaps within a project focused on
delivering these solutions.  You would gain the benefit of single vote on
releases, since its clear you know how to do this.


John


> > - Vinod as a mentor seems a bit confusing.  He's listed already as per
> > Taylor, so will he by being added to podlings.xml be signing off on
> > reports?  Are there any discussions you can cite where mentors are saying
> > they are not available and have you asked them to step down?
>
> Vinod was not actually a mentor for Slider. He was the champion of the
> incubator proposal for Slider, so I think he inadvertently got listed as a
> mentor on some of the Slider pages, but (correctly) he was not in the
> podlings.xml file.
>
> When we email mentors directly asking them to sign off on a report,
> sometimes we get no response (as evidenced in the occasional lack of sign
> offs on Slider reports). No one has said they are not available. If we need
> to ask some of the existing mentors to step down to be able to add new
> mentors, we could do that.
>
> [1]: https://s.apache.org/TBfV
> [2]: https://s.apache.org/fCVa
> [3]: https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/August2016
>