Axis2 inclusion of Woden incubator podling

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Axis2 inclusion of Woden incubator podling

Jeremy Hughes
Hi,
Axis2 are starting to get ready for a 1.1 release. Since 1.0, it has a
new dependency on the Woden incubator podling. This is a similar issue
to Geronimo including ActiveMQ back in March [1]. Except, unlike
ActiveMQ, Woden was never a project existing outside the ASF.

Does anyone know of any general guidance resulting from that
discussoin since then?

If not then this is my proposal: Axis2 currently depends on a snapshot
of Woden, so I think that *has* to change at least for an official
release. ie. Woden to make a new milestone release (like it's been
doing successfully for some time now) and for Axis2 1.1 to depend on
that. Of course the newly proposed incubating maven repo would be a
nice place for us to put Woden milestone releases :-)

Then, in its README Axis2 should make very clear which function relies
on Woden and that this function isn't production ready because it is
reliant on an incubator podling.

Does anyone see an issue for an official ASF project release (ie
Axis2) to contain jars from a podling (of course the jars will have
"incubating" in their name).

Any comments appreciated.

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200603.mbox/%3c20060317170202.GE16754@...%3e

Thanks,
Jeremy

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Axis2 inclusion of Woden incubator podling

Guillaume Nodet-3


Jeremy Hughes wrote:

> Hi,
> Axis2 are starting to get ready for a 1.1 release. Since 1.0, it has a
> new dependency on the Woden incubator podling. This is a similar issue
> to Geronimo including ActiveMQ back in March [1]. Except, unlike
> ActiveMQ, Woden was never a project existing outside the ASF.
>
> Does anyone know of any general guidance resulting from that
> discussoin since then?
>
> If not then this is my proposal: Axis2 currently depends on a snapshot
> of Woden, so I think that *has* to change at least for an official
> release. ie. Woden to make a new milestone release (like it's been
> doing successfully for some time now) and for Axis2 1.1 to depend on
> that. Of course the newly proposed incubating maven repo would be a
> nice place for us to put Woden milestone releases :-)
>
> Then, in its README Axis2 should make very clear which function relies
> on Woden and that this function isn't production ready because it is
> reliant on an incubator podling.

Incubation does not mean anything on code quality (or did I miss
something ?).
So saying that it's not production ready is just out of topic imho.

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

>
> Does anyone see an issue for an official ASF project release (ie
> Axis2) to contain jars from a podling (of course the jars will have
> "incubating" in their name).
>
> Any comments appreciated.
>
> [1]
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200603.mbox/%3c20060317170202.GE16754@...%3e 
>
>
> Thanks,
> Jeremy
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Axis2 inclusion of Woden incubator podling

dims
I guess the question is - What if any disclaimers/notices/readme stuff
has to be in Axis2 distribution to warn users about jars from projects
under incubation.

thanks,
dims

On 8/9/06, Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> Jeremy Hughes wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Axis2 are starting to get ready for a 1.1 release. Since 1.0, it has a
> > new dependency on the Woden incubator podling. This is a similar issue
> > to Geronimo including ActiveMQ back in March [1]. Except, unlike
> > ActiveMQ, Woden was never a project existing outside the ASF.
> >
> > Does anyone know of any general guidance resulting from that
> > discussoin since then?
> >
> > If not then this is my proposal: Axis2 currently depends on a snapshot
> > of Woden, so I think that *has* to change at least for an official
> > release. ie. Woden to make a new milestone release (like it's been
> > doing successfully for some time now) and for Axis2 1.1 to depend on
> > that. Of course the newly proposed incubating maven repo would be a
> > nice place for us to put Woden milestone releases :-)
> >
> > Then, in its README Axis2 should make very clear which function relies
> > on Woden and that this function isn't production ready because it is
> > reliant on an incubator podling.
>
> Incubation does not mean anything on code quality (or did I miss
> something ?).
> So saying that it's not production ready is just out of topic imho.
>
> Cheers,
> Guillaume Nodet
>
> >
> > Does anyone see an issue for an official ASF project release (ie
> > Axis2) to contain jars from a podling (of course the jars will have
> > "incubating" in their name).
> >
> > Any comments appreciated.
> >
> > [1]
> > http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200603.mbox/%3c20060317170202.GE16754@...%3e
> >
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jeremy
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
> >
> >
> >
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>


--
Davanum Srinivas : http://www.wso2.net (Oxygen for Web Service Developers)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Axis2 inclusion of Woden incubator podling

Eran Chinthaka
A humble request.

Can some one please make sure, by creating a JIRA or something, that we
will implement the conclusion made here before the release. Since we
have lots of stuff to do during a release, we might forget this
important issue.
Anyway, thanks Jeremy for raising this.

-- Chinthaka

Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> I guess the question is - What if any disclaimers/notices/readme stuff
> has to be in Axis2 distribution to warn users about jars from projects
> under incubation.
>
> thanks,
> dims
>
> On 8/9/06, Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>
>> Jeremy Hughes wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> > Axis2 are starting to get ready for a 1.1 release. Since 1.0, it has a
>> > new dependency on the Woden incubator podling. This is a similar issue
>> > to Geronimo including ActiveMQ back in March [1]. Except, unlike
>> > ActiveMQ, Woden was never a project existing outside the ASF.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know of any general guidance resulting from that
>> > discussoin since then?
>> >
>> > If not then this is my proposal: Axis2 currently depends on a snapshot
>> > of Woden, so I think that *has* to change at least for an official
>> > release. ie. Woden to make a new milestone release (like it's been
>> > doing successfully for some time now) and for Axis2 1.1 to depend on
>> > that. Of course the newly proposed incubating maven repo would be a
>> > nice place for us to put Woden milestone releases :-)
>> >
>> > Then, in its README Axis2 should make very clear which function relies
>> > on Woden and that this function isn't production ready because it is
>> > reliant on an incubator podling.
>>
>> Incubation does not mean anything on code quality (or did I miss
>> something ?).
>> So saying that it's not production ready is just out of topic imho.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Guillaume Nodet
>>
>> >
>> > Does anyone see an issue for an official ASF project release (ie
>> > Axis2) to contain jars from a podling (of course the jars will have
>> > "incubating" in their name).
>> >
>> > Any comments appreciated.
>> >
>> > [1]
>> >
>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200603.mbox/%3c20060317170202.GE16754@...%3e
>>
>> >
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Jeremy
>> >
>> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>> > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>> >
>> >
>> >
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>
>>
>
>


signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Axis2 inclusion of Woden incubator podling

Leo Simons
In reply to this post by Jeremy Hughes
On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 02:00:13PM +0100, Jeremy Hughes wrote:
> Axis2 are starting to get ready for a 1.1 release. Since 1.0, it has a
> new dependency on the Woden incubator podling. This is a similar issue
> to Geronimo including ActiveMQ back in March [1]. Except, unlike
> ActiveMQ, Woden was never a project existing outside the ASF.
>
> Does anyone know of any general guidance resulting from that
> discussoin since then?

Nope. Note that a lot of my e-mail (the first one in the thread) was
explicitly mentioned as being a personal opinion. Do read the rest of the
thread :)

In fact, we've had the same discussion related to different projects
about 3 times since march, but we still don't have revised policy. That's
because its hard to write a good one.

> Any comments appreciated.

You mentioned a few things which sound quite sane.

The one thing that stays true is that it is the responsiblity of the PMC
that votes on the release and puts the tarballs online to make sure that
what they're doing is appropriate.

LSD

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]