Apache Incubator and durable_rules

Jesus Ruiz

Hi, I am new to the Apache incubator community. For a couple of years now I have been driving an open source project for real time analytics called durable_rules. It implements the Rete inference algorithm to evaluate events in real time:

https://github.com/jruizgit/rules

Even though I work for a large software company, the project is totally independent. The project is starting to raise a fair amount of interest in the community. And I believe the community would benefit greatly from the structure the Apache foundation provides.

I have read some of the documents in the incubator WebSite and I think I can put together a proposal. I have a couple of questions:

  1.  What is the process for getting a champion for the project?
  2.  The project uses MIT license and has a code dependency on two BSD licensed libraries, is it possible to migrate the license?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Jesus Ruiz

Re: Apache Incubator and durable_rules

Ted Dunning
On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 7:29 AM, Jesus Ruiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   1.  What is the process for getting a champion for the project?
>   2.  The project uses MIT license and has a code dependency on two BSD
> licensed libraries, is it possible to migrate the license?

Moving the code to a new license should be no problem. BSD and MIT are fine
source licenses for APACHE.

It would be good if you have kept track of the contributors and have made
sure that they were reasonably aware of the license conditions that they
were putting their contributions under.

Re: Apache Incubator and durable_rules

> 2.  The project uses MIT license and has a code dependency on two BSD licensed libraries, is it possible to migrate the license?

My understanding is you'll need to get permission from the community and any IP owners (probably including the company you work for depending on your contact with them) that it would be OK to relicense it under the Apache 2.0 license and bring it to Apache. Given they are compatible permissive licenses and the community wants to bring it to Apache that’s is likely fine.

Apache projects can rely on BSD (as is MIT) licensed software as the licenses are compatible [1] so there’s no issue there.

1. https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-a

Re: Apache Incubator and durable_rules

Nick Kew-3
On Mon, 2017-06-12 at 05:29 +0000, Jesus Ruiz wrote:
> Hi, I am new to the Apache incubator community. For a couple of years now I have been driving an open source project for real time analytics called durable_rules. It implements the Rete inference algorithm to evaluate events in real time:

Looks interesting.  Echoes of AI of old, in a context of
much more data?

Commit activity looks like virtually a one-man project.
Your issue tracker shows some signs of healthy interest,
but is there anywhere else I could see evidence of your
community?

--
Nick Kew